Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Guidance Dublin?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody happens to know of any good career counsellors preferably in the Dublin area?

Possibly one that you have used yourself or you know someone who has. I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment and could do with a little help?

Thank you all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

I'm not sure if we can name names here, so please pm me. Otherwise, mods let me know if I can name names.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arms_n_legs

Galbin wrote: »
    I'm not sure if we can name names here, so please pm me. Otherwise, mods let me know if I can name names.

Also looking for a career guidance counsellor, pm sent Galbin. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Im probably bias in my experience, but I've never found career guidance councellors any good.
    In secondary school, the career guidance councellor advised me to be a dairy farmer because i live in the countryside surrounded by farmers.
    The fact that i was interested in computers, taking sceince courses, dont live on a farm and have no land didnt factor into his advice!

I visited a separate career guidance counselor, whom I paid for advice. He asked me questions for 5 mins on what subjects i liked and advised computers. Fair enough he came to a logical conclusion, but nothing I didn't know already, and he couldn't give any useful information on following that path other than telling me to do a college course in IT.

My advice would be to look at what subjects you enjoy, or even what activities/hobbies you enjoy.
    Seriously think about how how you could make money from them. Use google, its your single best resource.

If you like fishing, type "how to make money from fishing". You will get results on working on a fishing boat, becoming a fishing guide, details on fishing tourism, websites on fish breeding and keeping, sites on selling fishing equipment. You then follow your gut on what looks interesting and through research(googling) figure out how to pursue that path.

Thats just an example, same for anything you're interested in.

Advertisement