Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early morning noise pollution

Options
  • 12-02-2014 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I wasnt sure where to post this so apologies to moderators in advance.

I was woken up this morning at 8am to the lovely sound of drilling from road works. I have a later shift start but i work to later in the evening.

I understand they have a job to do too, my dad used to work in construction and was aware of all the rules and obligations to follow.

Im sure this kind of noise cant be permitted at 8am.. maybe after 9am is acceptable. I live in Dublin 12 in a cluster of terrist houses so there is usual street noise of people neighbors, buses, which i can get used to. But extremely loud drilling at 8am waking me up does not go down well with me.

Does any one know who works in construction the time permitted for noise on road works ect.

Thanks very much appreciate any advised or thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

According the the Dublin City Council website road works vary according to its permit.

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/AIRQUALITYMONITORINGANDNOISECONTROL/NOISEPOLLUTION/Pages/NoiseWeDon'tDealWith.aspx
    Noise from Roadworks

All road works must have a permit that is issued by the Roads and Traffic section of Dublin City Council. The times permitted vary depending on permit. Contact Roads and Traffic at 222 2222.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Can be permitted as early as 7am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

8.AM isnt early. What planet do you live on?

Most people start work at 8.30/8.00 am in the city centre.

I presume most people are up at 7 to get ready for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Your living in a city get used to it. The wind has just woken me up can someone stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Most people are up and doing well before 8am.

I appreciate as a shift worker you're not "most people", but things like the hours at which roadworks or building works are permitted in residential areas necessarily have to be based on what suits the greatest number of people. One of the drawbacks to working shifts is precisely This Kind Of Thing, but that's why shift work tends to attract a premium over normal rates of pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

I only got home at 8am and am now lying in bed listening to drilling from water meter installation for the 5 day in a row.
    Gonna go postal if they dont finish soon !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Get earplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

8am seems completely reasonable to me. The house next door to mine was being renovated last summer. They started work between 5.30 and 6am for about seven weeks. After a while I didn't even notice the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

It should not be earlier than 8am save in the most urgent cases. People have a right to sleep, peace and quiet, and that includes night workers, the retired, the sick and many others.

On a related point, there are still far too many burglar alarms sounding for long periods without shutting off. I thought the law had been changed a few years ago to require an automatic shutoff after a certain period, but if so, this is being widely ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's annoying but unfortunately not unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

tomboylady wrote: »
    8am seems completely reasonable to me. The house next door to mine was being renovated last summer. They started work between 5.30 and 6am for about seven weeks. After a while I didn't even notice the noise.

Starting work at 5.30am is totally unreasonable. I'd be making major complaints if my neighbours went down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Starting work at 5.30am is totally unreasonable. I'd be making major complaints if my neighbours went down that route.

Me too.

Contacted the Dublin City council in the past for construction that was noisy at all sorts of hours, they were very helpful and after a noise inspector visited the site there was no more early morning/late evening disruption.

Construction site work starting early in morning or continuing late into the evening:

The permissible hours of operation of a building site within Dublin City are;

Monday to Friday 07.00 – 18.00

Saturday 08.00 – 14.00

Sundays and Public Holidays No noisy work on site.

These hours are often specifically conditioned at the planning permission stage, and therefore are enforced by the Planning Enforcement Section of Dublin City Council. You can search for a Planning Application here.

In the event that a planning condition has not been applied regarding hours of operation, the Air Quality Monitoring and Noise Control Unit will deal with the complaint.

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/AIRQUALITYMONITORINGANDNOISECONTROL/NOISEPOLLUTION/Pages/TypesofNoise.aspx

Advertisement