Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Warning for today - tree on road by Thermo King

Options
  • 12-02-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

The City Council have issued a weather warning due to the impending storm. They don't believe there is a risk of widespread flooding, but spot floods may occur.

Be careful out there and if there's anything left lying around tie it down or put it inside.
    Galway City Council is advising caution out and about in the city in light of the Status Orange Weather Warning currently in place from Met Éireann.

The weather is currently quite stormy and westerly winds of 60 to 70 km/h will gust to 100 to 130 km/h particularly along the coast.

Caution is advised outdoors at all times today. Walkers along promenades and beaches are advised to exercise care and to avoid exposed areas when the wind is gusting. Householders are advised to secure any loose objects or furniture in gardens.

There is already some spot flooding on roads around the city and difficult driving conditions require extra care from motorists.

There is no current risk of coastal flooding from high tides but there may still be spot-flooding and spray along the coast and along The Promenade from Blackrock, through Salthill and along Grattan Road.

Galway City Council Staff and crews will be on alert to deal with any issues related to the weather as they arise.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

yeah, it's not far off us now... some frightening reports on the weather thread...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057145715

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have flickering lights

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can feel my house shaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Best jog I ever had on the prom. Felt like it was a matter of minutes before I landed on my hole in the Burren.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I hear rumours of a tree down and road closed in Mervue?

Anyone know which road it's on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I heard its the Monivea Road near Thermo King

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Connacht Tribune - Connacht Sentinel - Galway City Tribune
    3.20pm STORM UPDATE:
    * Bus Eireann has suspended all city services due to high winds.
    * Tree down on Monivea Road at Crown site
    * Tree down near Glenlo Abbey
    * Fallen ESB pole partially blocking Pier rpad at Ros a' Mhíl
    * Westside Library has closed for the afternoon after windows were smashed by storm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Death of a tree makes news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Crowe cackles to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

So due to the storms Bus Eireann have taken the busses off the road:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=1440&month=Feb

Time to start rranging your lifts if you bussed it somewhere today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ah feck, I'm out in GMIT so that's gonna be a fun walk back into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bus services have resumed according to Connaght tribune fb .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Superhoops

The Galway Advertiser
    City Bus Eireann services running again after being suspended for a while. Roof tiles coming off houses. Dangerous weather for cyclists — Not a day for pushing a buggy either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The BE website updating saying services are expected to resume at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I heard its the Monivea Road near Thermo King

I drove through Mervue about 30 minutes ago, there were no road blockages at the front or side of Thermo King.

Superhoops wrote: »
    The Galway Advertiser
    City Bus Eireann services running again after being suspended for a while. Roof tiles coming off houses. Dangerous weather for cyclists — Not a day for pushing a buggy either.

Not a day to be out at all. I could feel the wind going under my car when I was out earlier, it felt like it was being lifted, so I'd imagine buggies & bikes would fare rather worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Glenlo Abbey, no tree down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

How's the Long Walk?

I hear rumours of a tree down and road closed in Mervue?

Anyone know which road it's on?

It's on the Monivea Rd. From what's on the galway advertiser facebook page, it seems that it's one of the trees oustide the former Crown Control factory/builing site. Some more of the hoarding has been blown over as well.

Advertisement