Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed re electricity usage

Options
  • 12-02-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Appreciate any help / guidance on the following:

My electricity usage as billed works out at an average of 24 Kwh per day. I understand from Airtricity the average usage per household per day is 8 to 10 units. I would say my house is pretty average, a 4 bed dormer bungalow with an extension. I have started to monitor the meter on a daily basis and also noting any high usage appliances which may have been on. I have gas fired c/h and all hot water is supplied by an oil fired Rayburn cooker. So as far as I can make out all that is consuming electricity are lighting, TV , computer, dishwasher ( every second day) clothes washer (once per week) and 2 showers which are pumped. There are the usual other stuff hair dryer/ mob phone chargers/ sky box etc. The house is occupied by 4 adults.

Grateful for any advice to get to the bottom of this .
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I have a 3 bed bungalow, and average around 10 units/day.

What type of lighting if you have?

How long are the showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭makfli

I had about 40 recessed 12v 50 w halogens which were changed at Christmas to 4w GU10 LED's. I am hoping this will make a difference. CFL's everywhere else for years.

Showers approx. 30 / 40 mins per day.

Yes changing the halogens out should help. They were using 2 units every hour.

Shower is approx 10kW, so that's at least 5 units.

Thanks Brightspark.
    Is hot water included in your 10 units ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

your kw price seems high,turn off tv dvd unplug everything

use cfl lights

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/electricity/

• Advertisement

makfli wrote: »
    Thanks Brightspark.
    Is hot water included in your 10 units ?

Some, but it's mostly heated from the oil, we use the hot water from the tank for showers.

Just to clarify are your showers supplied with hot water from your cooker, or heated electrically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

we found the killer to be stuff left on 24/7

granted we're a bit of a bigger house, but withe food consumption of the amount of people (7) we have a large fridge with separate ice box, a 60/40 fridge freezer plus a full height freezer, which were using the guts of 2kw every hour in total, at a cost of just under €7 a day.

There are other bits and pieces that are on permanently that just constantly draw small amounts, which all add up.
    Having an engineer in the house allowed for pretty good calculations to be worked out and it turned out that while yes turning lights off (or similar, tv etc) does help, even if we left the most used lights on for 2 hours every day more than necessary, your only looking at an extra cost of about 2 units a day, which when you look at the fridges/freezers is nothing.

A lot of people over look the stuff that they don't actively turn on as its not in their head of using power, its just their.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i hope you've replaced the freezer with an A rated one.

http://www.did.ie/rz80fbbb1-xeu-rz80fbbb1-xeu-prd

this freestandign freezer uses 325kWh/year

http://www.did.ie/zanussi-integrated-fridge-freezer-zbb28441sa-prd
    this fridge frezzer uses 297kwh/year

according to your one uses 2kw an hour (2*24*365) 17,520kWh

325+297=622 *.18=€111.96
    V
    17,520*.18 =€3153.6

I think that engineer in the house my have to back to college. he seems to have dropped the ball regards his calculations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

No, as I mentioned it was a combination of all 3 units that use that power. Edited to make it clearer. Calculations are perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

alexlyons wrote: »
    No, as I mentioned it was a combination of all 3 units that use that power. Edited to make it clearer. Calculations are perfect

heres a third appliance
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-27-321APX&npages=1&prod=321APX&brands=beko&image=

uses 447kWh/year

So a total of 1069kWh v 17,520kWh

once the appliance is at temperature it cuts out. Just because its rated as x amps or x kW doesn't mean that it constantly uses that.

what make and model appliance are they. I simple don't believe your figures.

• Advertisement

All hot water is supplied from the cooker. No electric for hot water at all. At least until May when the Rayburn is switched off during the summer .

The fridge freezer is a side by side American style about 13 years old . A rated according to the manual, but doesn't give the kwh and I cant drag it out to see if there is a plate on the back. The kwh wouldn't mean much anyway as presumably the compressor doesn't run 24/7 but more on /off as set temp is reached. Is it reasonable to assume that your average f/f is running say 20% of the time, as there would be no access overnight ?

Advertisement