Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Not getting into an argument but I'm telling you now to forget about it, get on with your life and DO NOT PUT YOUR LIFE ON HOLD ON THE PRESUMPTION THAT YOU WILL GET AN OFFER, your only a number to AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shannonmc389

We don't need your negativity here.

Sorry because you failed. I just get a hint of jealousy.

We're still in this competition and we're not giving up.

There not going to get 900 Gardai from 3000. They need a bigger pool of candidates and we're it.

I may not be lucky enough to join, but I really hope someone from band 2 does.

Good luck to everyone in band 2

Well said. We haven't done stage 2 yet so we still have a chance like. Don't be sayin things like you may not be lucky enough. I admit I was dissappointed when I was put into band 2 at first hurdle but I'm just looking at it as a chance to gain some more life experience and all cuz I'm only 19. But the first chance I get to do stage 3 will be taken straight away. (Been wanting to be a Garda since I was about 10 or 11)

So aye, good luck to my fellow stage 1 band 2 people when we all get our chance.

Well said. We haven't done stage 2 yet so we still have a chance like. Don't be sayin things like you may not be lucky enough. I admit I was dissappointed when I was put into band 2 at first hurdle but I'm just looking at it as a chance to gain some more life experience and all cuz I'm only 19. But the first chance I get to do stage 3 will be taken straight away. (Been wanting to be a Garda since I was about 10 or 11)

So aye, good luck to my fellow stage 1 band 2 people when we all get our chance.

You won't get a chance during this recruitment drive, you may get a chance in 5 years or whenever they recruit again. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but your only 19, sort out another career for yourself in the meantime, look at the guards as something to fall back on, don't end up in another 5 years in limbo

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

thestar wrote: »
    You won't get a chance during this recruitment drive, you may get a chance in 5 years or whenever they recruit again. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but your only 19, sort out another career for yourself in the meantime, look at the guards as something to fall back on, don't end up in another 5 years in limbo

Do you think it will be another 5 years?

be 4 anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

want2b wrote: »
    Do you think it will be another 5 years?

Band 2 still have a shot, maybe not this time but next 300 recuirt (next year) the way there cutting people they won't have much more to choose from. Me and shannonmc are hitting the gym anyway :)

and who said i wasnt tryin to sort out another career? i know im only 19, i know how the country is with jobs and stuff hence the reason im still at college and not following the flock off to the states and oz. i've waited long enough for garda recruitment. another year or two (maybe more) cant hurt...it just gets a wee bit painful at ties though

Band 2 still have a shot, maybe not this time but next 300 recuirt (next year) the way there cutting people they won't have much more to choose from. Me and shannonmc are hitting the gym anyway :)

come one then, start with a wee 5k run at 6 tomorrow morning :)

come one then, start with a wee 5k run at 6 tomorrow morning :)

I would but I'm working :( good to see you starting to work hard already.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Lads, I think ye should listen to thestar. I don't think he's being negative. I think he's been realistic. I can't honestly see much hope for Band 2 and Band 3 after today. There are 3100 people from Band 1 still left in the process. Those odds aren't great. I think there's very little chance for Band 2 and Band 3 for at least another couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Lads, I think ye should listen to thestar. I don't think he's being negative. I think he's been realistic. I can't honestly see much hope for Band 2 and Band 3 after today. There are 3100 people from Band 1 still left in the process. Those odds aren't great. I think there's very little chance for Band 2 and Band 3 for at least another couple of years.

Based on two online tests?? Good joke to say we are out yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

I've noticed this thread has become quite sour and begrudging over the last while.

The fact of the matter is, NOBODY is through yet. In fact, the next few hurdles are by far the hardest we will have to face. The interview being the hardest.

Anyone can sit behind a computer and score highly on generic aptitude test, but not everyone will come across a top members of the Garda force.

For those that are waiting, I personally believe you'll be giving a shot.

For those that are out of the campaign, have you considered the reserves (if not already joined) or even other state forces, defence, fire etc.

It may seem it now, but it's not the end of the world. Good luck to everyone still in the running, right the way to band 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I'm out of the equation altogether after failing today but as for band 2 and band 3, forget about it

If it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

There is always a sore looser, better luck next time, it's a pity you have to console yourself by trying to make out that we too are gone, we have officially passed you out in this campaign weather you like it or not!

mycro89 wrote: »
    Based on two online tests?? Good joke to say we are out yet....
    Sorry lads, I'm not trying to be negative. I think it's going to be very hard for someone in Band 2 and Band 3 just based on the fact that 3100 have now passed Stage 2 assessments. I'm not saying ye're completely out, be optimistic by all means but keep your options open too. The Stage 2 tests were a big step up. 1900 people failed them. They're not easy tests by any means. The speculation is that 900 jobs may be available over the next 3 years, that's if this campaign is used for the next 3 years. There are now 3100 people ahead of Band 2. And for those in Band 3 there are 7,100 people ahead of them.

Sorry lads, I'm not trying to be negative. I think it's going to be very hard for someone in Band 2 and Band 3 just based on the fact that 3100 have now passed Stage 2 assessments. I'm not saying ye're completely out, be optimistic by all means but keep your options open too. The Stage 2 tests were a big step up. 1900 people failed them. They're not easy tests by any means. The speculation is that 900 jobs may be available over the next 3 years, that's if this campaign is used for the next 3 years. There are now 3100 people ahead of Band 2. And for those in Band 3 there are 7,100 people ahead of them.

They cut 2000 this time with 3001 left in band 1... Is everyone forgetting this is ONLY stage 2, there a long road still to go and the test were all online so far I think a lot of people are still to get cut by the time the fitness test comes around the number be a lot smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Not getting into an argument but I'm telling you now to forget about it, get on with your life and DO NOT PUT YOUR LIFE ON HOLD ON THE PRESUMPTION THAT YOU WILL GET AN OFFER, your only a number to AGS

Well my life is not on hold.

I don't expect to join because of the numbers applying.

There's no reason why someone in band 2 won't get in.

Band 2 will be called eventually and hopefully some people from it will be lucky enough.

I'm just saying that because your out of the competition and we're still in it. There's no need for you to come in here saying anything because you don't know what your talking about.

People can do what they want. Your not running this competition

How many sitting ducks are there now?

Hi , anyone feel we have no hope in getting any futher this year?

Hi , anyone feel we have no hope in getting any futher this year?

We don't know what's going to happen. It's just going to be our opinions.

What the rush anyway? You've passed stage 1, and your still in the competition.

Hopefully we get called eventually.

Don't listen to the people that say we've no hope. They have us in the competition for a reason

• Advertisement

That all depends where you are. I think if you're in Band 1 between 600-3100 then you still have a chance of progressing this year. If you are lower down, like in Band 2 and Band 3, then I doubt you'll have any chance this year or next year. The 600 that have gone forward are just for the July intake, that's what I think, but it's just an opinion. I can't see 300 jobs coming out of that 600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm out of the equation altogether after failing today but as for band 2 and band 3, forget about it

Ah did you fail? That's a pity, maybe you should think about another career. The rest of us in band 2 are happy enough to take your place :)

lukesmom wrote: »
    Ah did you fail? That's a pity, maybe you should think about another career. The rest of us in band 2 are happy enough to take your place :)

He failed, just a little jealous of us now, and I'm sure was one of the ones that laughed at band 2 and band 3 when the bands were announced !!

Lads, whatever motivation thestar had for his posts, I'm not very impressed that ye're taking such delight in the fact that he's failed. It's not very nice

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Lads, whatever motivation thestar had for his posts, I'm not very impressed that ye're taking such delight in the fact that he's failed. It's not very nice

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Unfortunately that party has failed, we should not forget it could be one of us in the future, but until it is I don't think anyone should go about shouting out that band 2 and 3 don't stand a chance.

Unfortunately that party has failed, we should not forget it could be one of us in the future, but until it is I don't think anyone should go about shouting out that band 2 and 3 don't stand a chance.
    Fair enough, I'm not agreeing with him, but like I said two wrongs don't make a right, and sometimes, you have to be the bigger person, and maybe ignore that sort of post. We should all be here to help each other out as much as possible.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Fair enough, I'm not agreeing with him, but like I said two wrongs don't make a right, and sometimes, you have to be the bigger person, and maybe ignore that sort of post. We should all be here to help each other out as much as possible.

Noble sentiment and should be commended. Pity a lot of other posters don't feel the same way.

Raider190 wrote: »
    Noble sentiment and should be commended. Pity a lot of other posters don't feel the same way.

Indeed, so how are we all keeping? Any updates on anything anyone ?

Indeed, so how are we all keeping? Any updates on anything anyone ?

Next week will tell the tale. Good luck to you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

lukesmom wrote: »

I think your the one who needs to consider a career change. An elitist attitude like that isnt going to get you anywhere in an garda síochána. :confused:

Hello all!! Any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Hello all!! Any updates?

Why would there be any updates?

D Trent wrote: »
    Why would there be any updates?

Was Just asking.....

Was Just asking.....

She was a bit snappy with you

Raider190 wrote: »
    She was a bit snappy with you

Ya, no need for that! :/ ah well no skin off my nose :)

• Advertisement

I have heard that 1,900 of the 5,000 applicants that formed band 1 from stage 1 have been eliminated from the process as they did not meet the qualifying grade from the assessment at stage 2. These applicants know where they stand while we still remain in limbo.

Am I unfortunately beating the same drum here, has this been addressed by anyone to the ministers or p.j to see where we actually stand ?

I have heard that 1,900 of the 5,000 applicants that formed band 1 from stage 1 have been eliminated from the process as they did not meet the qualifying grade from the assessment at stage 2. These applicants know where they stand while we still remain in limbo.

Am I unfortunately beating the same drum here, has this been addressed by anyone to the ministers or p.j to see where we actually stand ?
    From what I know there's been no answer given by anyone unfortunately. I suppose in one sense you're right, the 1900 that have failed Stage 2 tests at least know their fate, even if they're not entirely happy about missing out. Lads in Band 2 and Band 3 are very much in limbo, as are the people from Stage 2 who finished between 601 and 3100. Nobody seems to know what's happening, and it's infuriating. At least if you knew what was going to happen you could plan for it, even if they said you'll be waiting for 6 months, a year, 2 years etc, at least you'd know what was happening. It's worse not knowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

From what I know there's been no answer given by anyone unfortunately. I suppose in one sense you're right, the 1900 that have failed Stage 2 tests at least know their fate, even if they're not entirely happy about missing out. Lads in Band 2 and Band 3 are very much in limbo, as are the people from Stage 2 who finished between 601 and 3100. Nobody seems to know what's happening, and it's infuriating. At least if you knew what was going to happen you could plan for it, even if they said you'll be waiting for 6 months, a year, 2 years etc, at least you'd know what was happening. It's worse not knowing

They don't know themselves. How could they tell people?

If they had of just left the 12,500 that passed stage 1 progress, and not have these ridiculous bands, then we would all know whether we get to the next round or fail.

If they had of just left the 12,500 that passed stage 1 progress, and not have these ridiculous bands, then we would all know whether we get to the next round or fail.
    Yeah, that's true, besides, the Stage 2 tests were done online, why didn't they just let all 12,500 do them, it's not as if it was a big logistical nightmare to organize. I don't know why they've left people in Band 2 and Band 3 in limbo like that.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's true, besides, the Stage 2 tests were done online, why didn't they just let all 12,500 do them, it's not as if it was a big logistical nightmare to organize. I don't know why they've left people in Band 2 and Band 3 in limbo like that.

Because we are just numbers simple as

Band 2 are back ups it seems. They will be got round to some stage in the future, believe me!

This recruitment drive is lasting 3 years. I imagine they have more than enough candidates in bands 2 and 3 to cover that!

be grand!

Band 2 are back ups it seems. They will be got round to some stage in the future, believe me!

This recruitment drive is lasting 3 years. I imagine they have more than enough candidates in bands 2 and 3 to cover that!

be grand!
    If what is being said by people in Stage 3 is correct then it looks like 210 jobs this year, in two different lots, and those 210 jobs are going to be coming out of the 600 that went forward after Stage 2 tests. I'm not being pessimistic, but what chance do people in Band 2 and Band 3 have if that is the case. There are 2,500 people ahead of them in Band 1 that passed Stage 2 but didn't get a high enough score to progress to Stage 3. They should have let everyone do Stage 2 tests when those tests were being done online anyway. And if you failed those tests you were definitely out like the 1,900 from Band 1 that failed. If you got a high score you could have got forward to the supervised test. And if you passed but didn't get a high enough score you'd still be in limbo anyway. I think it's a bit silly to have formed the bands after Stage 1. Online tests are hardly that difficult to organise. It would have been time enough to organise bands before supervised tests as that's bound to be more expensive/difficult to organise.

Agreed Archer!

It seems they're trying to get the best candidates they can, as quick as they can! However, the main filter will not be the stage 1 and 2 aptitude test. The main filter is the interview. No matter how many people they'd of let through from aptitude test they'd all have to face an interview. Depending on the "quality" of the candidates that made stage 3 and progress further to interview will determine if AGS would like to call more to progress forward.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but come the interview stage, I can't see AGS settle with what can be described as "below average" candidates which may come from the stage 3 results. Especially with the unnaturally large pool of people willing to join the force. They can afford to be picky, so I see no reason why they can't be!

I'm in agreement with you there bort license. Up til now I didn't think that they would get the 210 jobs (210 is the number they're saying now instead of 300, that's coming from the people that are answering questions during the presentation at the Stage 3 supervised tests, so sounds reliable.) from the 600 they called forward for the supervised tests. Nothing significant has been taken into account, such as educational background, courses undertaken in first aid etc., relevant skills and aptitudes, other achievements and so on. There's only so much you can learn from aptitude tests. After Stage 1 I was 4260s, then after Stage 2 I was 690s. I didn't suddenly become smarter in a few weeks. So, they're not even a good indicator of intelligence. Everyone should have been allowed to do Stage 2 tests, because if I could jump just over 3500 places, then there are definitely people in Band 2 and Band 3 that could have scored higher in Stage 2 tests, so they never got a fair chance. One round of tests!!!

People in Stage 3 are very confident that the 210 will come out of the 600, and they also think that there will be people placed on a panel even. Not very good for the rest of us. Also, as reported by a poster in Stage 3. Out of the 60 people that attended on his day of testing, only 5 were Gárda Reserves. So, that's not going to be a huge advantage at interview stage, because it seems not a lot of them have made it through the tests. I'm not saying this is definitive. On another day, you could have had 60 GRs, but I thought that was interesting anyway. I thought alot more GRs would make it through because of their experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'm in agreement with you there bort license. Up til now I didn't think that they would get the 210 jobs (210 is the number they're saying now instead of 300, that's coming from the people that are answering questions during the presentation at the Stage 3 supervised tests, so sounds reliable.) from the 600 they called forward for the supervised tests. Nothing significant has been taken into account, such as educational background, courses undertaken in first aid etc., relevant skills and aptitudes, other achievements and so on. There's only so much you can learn from aptitude tests. After Stage 1 I was 4260s, then after Stage 2 I was 690s. I didn't suddenly become smarter in a few weeks. So, they're not even a good indicator of intelligence. Everyone should have been allowed to do Stage 2 tests, because if I could jump just over 3500 places, then there are definitely people in Band 2 and Band 3 that could have scored higher in Stage 2 tests, so they never got a fair chance. One round of tests!!!

People in Stage 3 are very confident that the 210 will come out of the 600, and they also think that there will be people placed on a panel even. Not very good for the rest of us. Also, as reported by a poster in Stage 3. Out of the 60 people that attended on his day of testing, only 5 were Gárda Reserves. So, that's not going to be a huge advantage at interview stage, because it seems not a lot of them have made it through the tests. I'm not saying this is definitive. On another day, you could have had 60 GRs, but I thought that was interesting anyway. I thought alot more GRs would make it through because of their experience.

They have no powers what experience would they have? any door man, taxi driver, customer service and anyone dealing with the public would probably have a better experience than them..

I'm sure a few GR'S have gotten involved in things when it was badly needed but that's about it..

I can't wait to see how many are actually recruited and then we'll see if being in the reserve has had any advantage.. I'd say most of the reserves applied. why would you volunteer your time and not apply when the opportunity arises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

carzony wrote: »
    They have no powers what experience would they have? any door man, taxi driver, customer service and anyone dealing with the public would probably have a better experience than them..

I'm sure a few GR'S have gotten involved in things when it was badly needed but that's about it..

I can't wait to see how many are actually recruited and then we'll see if being in the reserve has had any advantage.. I'd say most of the reserves applied. why would you volunteer your time and not apply when the opportunity arises?
    Most of the reserves that are eligible.
    Any reserve I ever see seem to be over 35, fareplay to them

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

ill tell you what a great indicator of intelligence is - spelling

you misspelled GARDA

you cant even claim it was a typo as you had to go to the effort of adding the fada in

WOW

nothing has been taken into account other than analytical and verbal reasoning. is it a fair reflection on the 25k people who went for the job? no it isnt. But thats what the psychologist and HR people say is the best way to whittle down the best from the rest. The standard was set by the candidates, not some fictional score that you had to reach. it is what it is boys and girls and as it stands the top 600 are odds on for the first two intakes. like it or not

I have no doubt that the interview will show some up to be entirely unsuitable - but they earned their right to be there. everyone who is from 601 and beyond should sit back and wait there chance. you had your shot at the title and if you were good enough you would be in the top 600. You didnt take the chance while it was in front of you

D Trent wrote: »
    Most of the reserves that are eligible.
    Any reserve I ever see seem to be over 35, fareplay to them
    I think alot of people joined the reserves because they thought that it would help them get into the AGS properly. I can't understand why anyone else would want to become a reserve otherwise. Who would want do do crowd control at a match or deal with drunks on a night out/concert etc. If you want that join a private security firm. I think you might have a lot of resignations from the reserves after this campaign is finished, cos it hasn't helped too much so far.

I'm not having a go at the reserves, but I think alot of us see it for what it is, it's basically just exploiting free labour. It only came in after the recession hit, it's a PR stunt. I think that there are genuine people out there who do want to help and contribute to their community. But for me, I'd rather be in St John's Ambulance, helping out the local tidy towns committee or be involved with St Vincent de Pauls/Simon.

I guess the experience that GRs have that might be helpful would be in the job simulation tests. We had one in Stage 1, and they also have one in Stage 3. But, alot of reserves have failed the one in Stage 1, and failed Stage 2 aptitude tests, so obviously not that great an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

carzony wrote: »

you have NO idea what has happened during my service

door men and taxi drivers have a multitude of experience from life of that there is little doubt. I have that also. But I also have FRONTLINE policing experience. and I am going for a FRONTLINE policing job

when things get hairy and a doorman or taxi man cant deal with a situation they call the Gardaí. and who turns up? Gards. good chance on a weekend night, one of em is a GR. We are CURRENTLY sorting and dealing with the problems that you will have to prove you can solve in the future in an interview - theres the advantage

you will be trying to convince an interview panel that your good enough to be a garda all the while GRs will be demonstrating how they are currently doing the job of a Garda - checkpoints, static security duties, giving evidence in court, public office duties, contributing to local and national garda operations, manning radio and cctv rooms

I have no idea why you dont recognise the significant experience most GRs have gained within AGS. I dont go round telling people - your not good enough because your a bus driver, Civil Defence - waist of time etc etc

just concentrate on your own position in the panel and your own application

• Advertisement
Advertisement