Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

You've got one hell of an attitude problem Scouser. I thought there would be some perks to missing out on Stage 3, like not having to read your posts in Stage 2 forums. What point are you exactly trying to make? It seems you're just justifying your own position. You're not in Templemore yet! Would you still feel the same way if at interview stage you're given the boot and someone else from outside the first 600 is preferred.

Learn to speak Irish! I am a native speaker. And a mark of elongation is acceptable on the 'a' in Gárda, if that's what you're referring to. Don't be so immature. You're posts aren't grammatically or syntactically perfect. Neither are mine always. I didn't realize I was being scrutinized for spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Scouser wrote: »
    you have NO idea what has happened during my service

door men and taxi drivers have a multitude of experience from life of that there is little doubt. I have that also. But I also have FRONTLINE policing experience. and I am going for a FRONTLINE policing job

when things get hairy and a doorman or taxi man cant deal with a situation they call the Gardaí. and who turns up? Gards. good chance on a weekend night, one of em is a GR. We are CURRENTLY sorting and dealing with the problems that you will have to prove you can solve in the future in an interview - theres the advantage

you will be trying to convince an interview panel that your good enough to be a garda all the while GRs will be demonstrating how they are currently doing the job of a Garda - checkpoints, static security duties, giving evidence in court, public office duties, contributing to local and national garda operations, manning radio and cctv rooms

I have no idea why you dont recognise the significant experience most GRs have gained within AGS. I dont go round telling people - your not good enough because your a bus driver, Civil Defence - waist of time etc etc

just concentrate on your own position in the panel and your own application

You pulled up a previous poster for not being able to spell Garda. Why dont you use your detective skills to spot where you spelled guards as gards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think alot of people joined the reserves because they thought that it would help them get into the AGS properly. I can't understand why anyone else would want to become a reserve otherwise. Who would want do do crowd control at a match or deal with drunks on a night out/concert etc. If you want that join a private security firm. I think you might have a lot of resignations from the reserves after this campaign is finished, cos it hasn't helped too much so far.

I'm not having a go at the reserves, but I think alot of us see it for what it is, it's basically just exploiting free labour. It only came in after the recession hit, it's a PR stunt. I think that there are genuine people out there who do want to help and contribute to their community. But for me, I'd rather be in St John's Ambulance, helping out the local tidy towns committee or be involved with St Vincent de Pauls/Simon.

I guess the experience that GRs have that might be helpful would be in the job simulation tests. We had one in Stage 1, and they also have one in Stage 3. But, alot of reserves have failed the one in Stage 1, and failed Stage 2 aptitude tests, so obviously not that great an advantage.

people joined the reserve as they have a sense of duty and a desire to work in their communities and make this country a better place. People believe in that ideal. If I dont get in to the fulltime I will remain on as a GR, no question.

as for the job sims - all non GRs would have found this simulation. for me i was answering on alot of stuff I have already had experience of doing. everything for you archer is going to be a simulation, a hypothetical

even the report writing - i would come across two or three scenarios such as that on a nightly basis. If anything the video hadnt enough detail - a GR would have had tonnes of other questions yet the non GRs around me were baffled and bewildered at the onslaught of detail coming from the characters mouths and plenty missed basic but vital information

i think you fear the reserve

n32 wrote: »
    You pulled up a previous poster for not being able to spell Garda. Why dont you use your detective skills to spot where you spelled guards as gards!!!

GARDA

colloquial plural - GARDS. drop the A add an S

we are not Guards or Gaurds. different word altogether

Do you take everything that is written on a forum so personally? What are you getting so annoyed about. Usually when someone is that sensitive it's because you've struck a cord. If you're happy with what you're doing, how you've prepared for joining the AGS then you really shouldn't feel the need to justify yourself to anyone. You should be taking the higher road, and just ignoring what you consider to be insulting. I've posted my opinion. It's just an opinion. You can agree or disagree, it makes no difference.

You've got one hell of an attitude problem Scouser. I thought there would be some perks to missing out on Stage 3, like not having to read your posts in Stage 2 forums. What point are you exactly trying to make? It seems you're just justifying your own position. You're not in Templemore yet! Would you still feel the same way if at interview stage you're given the boot and someone else from outside the first 600 is preferred.

Learn to speak Irish! I am a native speaker. And a mark of elongation is acceptable on the 'a' in Gárda, if that's what you're referring to. Don't be so immature. You're posts aren't grammatically or syntactically perfect. Neither are mine always. I didn't realize I was being scrutinized for spelling.

Im not near Templemore at all and not claiming to be

Im not justifying my position either. I just came in here to have a look round and see how people were feeling, see what the chat was about

and your sitting here on a panel knocking those above you - smacks of sour grapes.

we all know the system is not perfect but you had your chance to make your way through it and it didnt happen for you. the top 600 have first dibs on the jobs and thats final. yes there are many hurdles to jump and plenty will fall (i could be one of them) but dont claim that the standard isnt suitable. it is what it is and PAS will sift through them.

for all we know their could be 600 perfect candidates or they may struggle to find 6

but make no mistake, 210 positions this year will be filled by the top 600.

GARDA

I think you're inventing your own language now. I have not come across those forms. One minute you're worried about an Official spelling of Gárda which you prefer to leave out the mark of elongation, thus rendering 'Garda', and then you're using your own colloquial spellings. There's more than a little contradiction there. What ever your attitudes, opinions or arguments, you should be consistent. So, if you're pulling people up on spelling properly, then stick to it yourself.

Do you take everything that is written on a forum so personally? What are you getting so annoyed about. Usually when someone is that sensitive it's because you've struck a cord. If you're happy with what you're doing, how you've prepared for joining the AGS then you really shouldn't feel the need to justify yourself to anyone. You should be taking the higher road, and just ignoring what you consider to be insulting. I've posted my opinion. It's just an opinion. You can agree or disagree, it makes no difference.

I think your opinion is misguided and your taking that stance for 2 reasons - 1)`you havnt a clue what a GR does (so im filling you in) and 2) your upset that people are ahead of you so your having a pop.

I dont see why you would come on here and knock those above you

I think you're inventing your own language now. I have not come across those forms. One minute you're worried about an Official spelling of Gárda which you prefer to leave out the mark of elongation, thus rendering 'Garda', and then you're using your own colloquial spellings. There's more than a little contradiction there. What ever your attitudes, opinions or arguments, you should be consistent. So, if you're pulling people up on spelling properly, then stick to it yourself.

im not claiming to be following strict rules of language

Im just explaining why I used Gards instead of Guards

if your a native speaker - how come you didnt get streamlined into stage 3 like so many others? (out of curiosity)

• Advertisement

Im not near Templemore at all and not claiming to be

Im not justifying my position either. I just came in here to have a look round and see how people were feeling, see what the chat was about

and your sitting here on a panel knocking those above you - smacks of sour grapes.

we all know the system is not perfect but you had your chance to make your way through it and it didnt happen for you. the top 600 have first dibs on the jobs and thats final. yes there are many hurdles to jump and plenty will fall (i could be one of them) but dont claim that the standard isnt suitable. it is what it is and PAS will sift through them.

for all we know their could be 600 perfect candidates or they may struggle to find 6

but make no mistake, 210 positions this year will be filled by the top 600.
    Where have I said that the 600 are unsutiable. And how is it sour grapes on my part. If you read my previous posts, which you're welcome to do right now, I've said openly that I just wasn't good enough to make the top 600. I'm not beating myself up about it. It's fact. Criticizing the process is not sour grapes. I was just as critical after Stage 1 even though I progressed. I haven't decided to be critical of the process because I failed Stage 2.

Where have I said that the 600 are unsutiable. And how is it sour grapes on my part. If you read my previous posts, which you're welcome to do right now, I've said openly that I just wasn't good enough to make the top 600. I'm not beating myself up about it. It's fact. Criticizing the process is not sour grapes. I was just as critical after Stage 1 even though I progressed. I haven't decided to be critical of the process because I failed Stage 2.

my comments are specific to you - just generally to people on here who have taken that view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

GARDA

GARDS ?????? No such word. Be humble and eat some of that pie ! Does it taste good??

im not claiming to be following strict rules of language

Im just explaining why I used Gards instead of Guards

if your a native speaker - how come you didnt get streamlined into stage 3 like so many others? (out of curiosity)
    None of the Irish speakers have heard anything yet. Maybe they have enough Irish speakers in the first 600. Although it does seem strange that they asked Irish speakers in Band 2 and Band 3 to do the Stage 2 tests cos they haven't heard anything yet either.

Incidentally I don't think it's very fair to give Irish speakers preferential treatment, or have quotas specifically for Irish speakers even though I may benefit from it in the future, but life isn't fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

your not good enough because your a bus driver, Civil Defence - waist of time etc etc

*waste

None of the Irish speakers have heard anything yet. Maybe they have enough Irish speakers in the first 600. Although it does seem strange that they asked Irish speakers in Band 2 and Band 3 to do the Stage 2 tests cos they haven't heard anything yet either.

Incidentally I don't think it's very fair to give Irish speakers preferential treatment, or have quotas specifically for Irish speakers even though I may benefit from it in the future, but life isn't fair.

well 10 of the 210 have been confirmed as Irish speakers and they will be expected to serve in a Gaeltacht area for a minimum of 4 years (knowing how AGS works you wont get out for 10years if ever!)

• Advertisement

*waste

Lads

I do my best when in uniform in a role I love

I came in here and saw something I believe in getting scrutinised and abused so I said my piece and fought my corner

Ill waddle back over to the stage 3 threads and leave you all be!

peace and good health to you all - best of luck with the applications :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I think alot of people joined the reserves because they thought that it would help them get into the AGS properly. I can't understand why anyone else would want to become a reserve otherwise. Who would want do do crowd control at a match or deal with drunks on a night out/concert etc. If you want that join a private security firm. I think you might have a lot of resignations from the reserves after this campaign is finished, cos it hasn't helped too much so far.

I'm not having a go at the reserves, but I think alot of us see it for what it is, it's basically just exploiting free labour. It only came in after the recession hit, it's a PR stunt. I think that there are genuine people out there who do want to help and contribute to their community. But for me, I'd rather be in St John's Ambulance, helping out the local tidy towns committee or be involved with St Vincent de Pauls/Simon.

I guess the experience that GRs have that might be helpful would be in the job simulation tests. We had one in Stage 1, and they also have one in Stage 3. But, alot of reserves have failed the one in Stage 1, and failed Stage 2 aptitude tests, so obviously not that great an advantage.

The advantage only comes at interview stage IF you have strong competencies as a reserve. Not all reserves will have though.

*waste
    Why would you thank that remark Scouser. I'm more than a little confused now. You said in your message to me this morning that a good indicator of intelligence was spelling. RonBurgundy73 has highlighted another of your incorrect spellings. So, are you still of the opinion that spelling is a good indicator of intelligence?

It's not the first time you've irritated other people on boards. You seem to have a great knack for upsetting people. If you joined the AGS you'll have to work as part of a team, which means you're going to have to get on with people. I know already I'd find it impossible to work with you. I'm sure some of these posts will be deleted anyway for going off topic, it would be nice to bring the discussion back on track, and have relevant posts instead of petty squabbles about spelling. I'm sure there's already a forum for that.

Why would you thank that remark Scouser. I'm more than a little confused now. You said in your message to me this morning that a good indicator of intelligence was spelling. RonBurgundy73 has highlighted another of your incorrect spellings. So, are you still of the opinion that spelling is a good indicator of intelligence?

It's not the first time you've irritated other people on boards. You seem to have a great knack for upsetting people. If you joined the AGS you'll have to work as part of a team, which means you're going to have to get on with people. I know already I'd find it impossible to work with you. I'm sure some of these posts will be deleted anyway for going off topic, it would be nice to bring the discussion back on track, and have relevant posts instead of petty squabbles about spelling. I'm sure there's already a forum for that.

i liked the post as it was ironic! good spot from RonB

I am part of AGS and I do work as part of a team and I get on great with everyone. We have a great team spirit and collaborate very well

Im going to leave it there archer - if you want to speak to me about anything just send me on a PM. Dont want to clog up the thread any further

and in response to Gala above - your right I agree

i liked the post as it was ironic! good spot from RonB

I am part of AGS and I do work as part of a team and I get on great with everyone. We have a great team spirit and collaborate very well

Im going to leave it there archer - if you want to speak to me about anything just send me on a PM. Dont want to clog up the thread any further

and in response to Gala above - your right I agree
    You have an answer for everything. Irony is your excuse this time. Colloquialisms is the other excuse but when I do it, it's a sign that I lack intelligence. How many of your colleagues in AGS do you pull on their grammar? I'm guessing very few. Anyway, that's enough of that. No need to pm. I'm not interested in this discussion.

• Advertisement

You have an answer for everything. Irony is your excuse this time. Colloquialisms is the other excuse but when I do it, it's a sign that I lack intelligence. How many of your colleagues in AGS do you pull on their grammar? I'm guessing very few. Anyway, that's enough of that. No need to pm. I'm not interested in this discussion.

I apologise if I have insulted you Archer

I apologise if I have insulted you Archer
    If the apology is sincere, then no hassle, no need to apologise even. Alot of the points you make are good. But it's the way you convey them. If you were more diplomatic then more people would agree with your points.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

If the apology is sincere, then no hassle, no need to apologise even. Alot of the points you make are good. But it's the way you convey them. If you were more diplomatic then more people would agree with your points.

You do need to research the garda reserve ....you are working under some serious misapprehensions. Look at it this way , if you were been assaulted on the street would you care if it was a regular or reserve coming to your aid. Don't think you would give a damn. Remember some of us have put ourselves on the line , have gotten injured and when you belittle the reserve you belittle what each of us has done in the line of duty.....l

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

carzony wrote: »
    They have no powers what experience would they have? any door man, taxi driver, customer service and anyone dealing with the public would probably have a better experience than them..

I'm sure a few GR'S have gotten involved in things when it was badly needed but that's about it..

I can't wait to see how many are actually recruited and then we'll see if being in the reserve has had any advantage.. I'd say most of the reserves applied. why would you volunteer your time and not apply when the opportunity arises?

Sounds very bitter to me.....door man , taxi driver customer service, you need a reality check if you are comparing these jobs .

I suppose I can understand someone been disappointed if they have failed in the initial stages but keep the venom in check . There will be other campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Fantastic, another thread ye managed to turn into a reserve - non reserve debate. Just grow up the two of ye, PM each other and don't be annoying everyone else with the petty little fight ye are having, this thread was for band 2 applicants not a debate on the reserves non reserve applicants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The advantage only comes at interview stage IF you have strong competencies as a reserve. Not all reserves will have though.

Correct. Whatever about the argument that there should have been some allowance made for Reserve service the facts are that any Reserve who has been out and about with the regular lads, keep their eyes and ears open, takes in how the good Garda does the job will have the advantage of having the opportunity when doing the reports to use such experience and also bring it to an interview board. That is where the Reserve service will stand to the applicant. If a Reserve didn't make it through the aptitude tests well that's the system as it stand. I can see it change though depending on how the unsuccessful Reserve applicants react.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Correct. Whatever about the argument that there should have been some allowance made for Reserve service the facts are that any Reserve who has been out and about with the regular lads, keep their eyes and ears open, takes in how the good Garda does the job will have the advantage of having the opportunity when doing the reports to use such experience and also bring it to an interview board. That is where the Reserve service will stand to the applicant. If a Reserve didn't make it through the aptitude tests well that's the system as it stand. I can see it change though depending on how the unsuccessful Reserve applicants react.

Ya i think you're dead right. Unfortunately the aptitude didnt suit everybody but it definitely did it's intended job and that was to cut numbers to a smaller manageable size. I think lots of people will have strong competencies and good community work outside of the reserves and if they can demonstrate that as well as their suitability for the job then they will no doubt pass interview stage. I think it's a slight advantage to being an active, good reserve come interview stage but its how you come across and how you prove that you're suitable is the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

mycro89 wrote: »
    Fantastic, another thread ye managed to turn into a reserve - non reserve debate. Just grow up the two of ye, PM each other and don't be annoying everyone else with the petty little fight ye are having, this thread was for band 2 applicants not a debate on the reserves non reserve applicants

THIS

Back on topic, thank you :)

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I started this thread to speak to people about the future of Band 2. Not as a platform for non reserves and reserves to bicker. Its been done to the death lads and its getting boring now. Nobody is more superior than anybody, however I do believe that those who are reserves will have a distinct advantage when it comes to the interview stage and it doesn't mean they are superior, just that they have experience on the beat.

I wonder will a new commissioner have any impact on the whole recruitment process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

Wouldn't say so, not on this drive anyway.

Wouldn't say so, not on this drive anyway.

When you say this drive, do you refer to the initial intake is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

the next 3 years...as in they wont be advertising for new recruits for another 3 years. This drive is to supply the AGS with new recruits for the next 3 years..

the next 3 years...as in they wont be advertising for new recruits for another 3 years. This drive is to supply the AGS with new recruits for the next 3 years..

Oh it wasn't the selection process I was on about, I mean the numbers taken on or would that have been pre agreed in theory with the out going commissioner ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Oh it wasn't the selection process I was on about, I mean the numbers taken on or would that have been pre agreed in theory with the out going commissioner ?

Minister does the hiring

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Minister does the hiring

You are correct, but the amount of money that can come form the public purse to pay the servants won't change with a minister resigning. Unless they cut back somewhere else, which I honestly feel would be a silly idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

Oh is that right? So a person couldn't apply for the new selection come next January?

Have a good look at what is happening today. Political interference everywhere. Don't say you weren't aware

Have a good look at what is happening today. Political interference everywhere. Don't say you weren't aware

Sorry who is this point to? Can you explain what you are trying to say ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

He's trying to suggest that any applicants consider that politics may get in the way of doing your job.

Though there are many other places to discuss this subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Nows raider190's chance to apply for commissioner :)

Apart from the recent shenanigans the recruitment saga is a perfect example of political interference in the Garda. Recruitment used as an election promise "we will recruit 10000 new Gardaí etc. etc.)
    New applicants need not think that they are entering into any wonderful position. Pay and pension cuts, continued decrease in manpower, on going impact on morale due to managerial incompetence and politicians trying to take out the Minister by attacking the Gardaí. That's the future

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bort_license

Apart from the recent shenanigans the recruitment saga is a perfect example of political interference in the Garda. Recruitment used as an election promise "we will recruit 10000 new Gardaí etc. etc.)
    New applicants need not think that they are entering into any wonderful position. Pay and pension cuts, continued decrease in manpower, on going impact on morale due to managerial incompetence and politicians trying to take out the Minister by attacking the Gardaí. That's the future

I'm sure there are a few heads in the force now that need to be pulled out after the "shenanigans" that has made news in recent days. What better way to do it than to introduce fresh, top candidates for the force which I'm sure they'll get out of everyone considered in this drive. The very swift reduction of candidates down to 600 is not leaving them the best option but I'm sure there will be plenty who will be considered amongst the finest the force has ever seen that comes out of that panel!

All so quiet, are people doing anything to progress in the future? Ie courses ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

All so quiet, are people doing anything to progress in the future? Ie courses ??

As in this competition? Or future competitions?

I don't think it really matters what courses you've done, or what experiences you have. It's all about getting past those stages to the interview.

So many intelligent well qualified people are already out of the competition.

It's like a game of Russian roulette.

If future campaigns are like campaign, then it's going to be extremely difficult to get the job.

Especially when you consider the lack of respect, abuse and low wages that Gardai have to deal with

• Advertisement

As in this competition? Or future competitions?

I don't think it really matters what courses you've done, or what experiences you have. It's all about getting past those stages to the interview.

So many intelligent well qualified people are already out of the competition.

It's like a game of Russian roulette.

If future campaigns are like campaign, then it's going to be extremely difficult to get the job.

Especially when you consider the lack of respect, abuse and low wages that Gardai have to deal with

Cheers!!

There has been a development today in relation to the minister of justice....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

There has been a development today in relation to the minister of justice....

Can you elaborate please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Kimiko2012 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate please?

The minister for justice resigned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Means didily to us anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement