Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Comrade Kronk

Jack Max wrote: »
    I'm guessing they may start from scratch and achieve a new band 1 with fresh meat and those from current band 2 who can try again if they have improved themselves sufficiently to be considered 'A' grade band 1 material.

Is it now possible to join in with the recruitment process as I would having missed it first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Save urself the hassle lad. Its not worth it. And no you cant

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Save urself the hassle lad. Its not worth it. And no you cant

Better off out of this campaign, no one knows what way it will fair out....

West Midlands Police (Birmingham Police) will be recruiting later on this month. There are no residency requirements as long as you provide details of where you are living for the last ten years. Register your interest on the website. Dont bother ringing the helpline getting information out of them is like welding a cowsiht to a mushroom....they give ya nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

West Midlands Police (Birmingham Police) will be recruiting later on this month. There are no residency requirements as long as you provide details of where you are living for the last ten years. Register your interest on the website. Dont bother ringing the helpline getting information out of them is like welding a cowsiht to a mushroom....they give ya nothing.

Cheers for the info.. but just regarding the residency element it does say the following :

"
    Residency
    You must have resided continuously in the UK for the three year period immediately prior to your application to join as a new police constable (with any absence from the UK being no more than one year during this time). If you have resided abroad due to serving in the British armed forces or on UK Government Service, you are considered to have been resident in the UK. "

The link :

http://jobs.west-midlands.police.uk/pc-recruitment/application/

Not doubting you at all but can you clarify where you got that information from ?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Ya man i actually a bit confused about that myself im getting mixed messages over it. I emailed them asking about it and I got an email back saying it was no problem. About a half an hour ago I got another email off an inspector saying that the residency requirement prevented me from applying. I emailed back looking for clarification just this minute and I will let you know for a fact when i get an email back from them.

Ya man i actually a bit confused about that myself im getting mixed messages over it. I emailed them asking about it and I got an email back saying it was no problem. About a half an hour ago I got another email off an inspector saying that the residency requirement prevented me from applying. I emailed back looking for clarification just this minute and I will let you know for a fact when i get an email back from them.

Haven gone through the mill in Scotland I would put my house on it being enforced.

What happened with scotland?

What happened with scotland?

I applied during the middle of the transition with Strathclyde into Police Scotland and the residency wasnt an issue with Strathclyde but with Police Scotland it was so couldnt proceed even though a buddy of mine from Dublin is now serving over there having never lived there previously.

Are you serving over there. Have you appilied for uk forces from Ireland. Im just looking at them. I tried psni but wasnt successfu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

D Trent wrote: »

Serving GR at the moment, also went for PSNI and scored well in AC but no interest in going further with it to be honest. Happy out in GR doing my bit.

Scotland is abit of a laughable situation to be honest, The buddy is in Glasgow region, and they are offering the role in the job centres as they cant get applicants.

So if i appiied would they take me. Im a GR myself but I want to take the next step...whether it is police of military i dont mind.

So if i appiied would they take me. Im a GR myself but I want to take the next step...whether it is police of military i dont mind.

Nope, unless you have lived there for 3 years you wont be able to at present I am afraid.

alright so. Iv an officer interview for the British military in a few weeks so ill stick with that for the moment. Thanks

alright so. Iv an officer interview for the British military in a few weeks so ill stick with that for the moment. Thanks

No bothers man, just remember when you sign up for the BA its 4 years minimum but if you really want it best of luck kid

Ya man i get that. Im just throwing my hat in for everything I can. Im not sure if im cut out for it but there is only one way to find out.

Why didn't you check out their website?

''Only applications from British citizens, EU/EEA nationals, Commonwealth citizens, or foreign nationals with indefinite leave to remain in the UK will be accepted. You should also have been resident in the UK for a minimum of three years immediately prior to application. In certain circumstances it is possible for a minimum residency period for vetting to be waived. However this can only be done where it is possible to make, or confirm, in the relevant jurisdictions with Law Enforcement and National Security bodies, which are equivalent, and of a similar standard, to enquiries which would be made in the UK, on both the applicant and all family members and associates. In cases where it is not possible to make the equivalent checks, the residency criterion will be stringently enforced.''

I did but i heard people getting around this

Why didn't you check out their website?

''Only applications from British citizens, EU/EEA nationals, Commonwealth citizens, or foreign nationals with indefinite leave to remain in the UK will be accepted. You should also have been resident in the UK for a minimum of three years immediately prior to application. In certain circumstances it is possible for a minimum residency period for vetting to be waived. However this can only be done where it is possible to make, or confirm, in the relevant jurisdictions with Law Enforcement and National Security bodies, which are equivalent, and of a similar standard, to enquiries which would be made in the UK, on both the applicant and all family members and associates. In cases where it is not possible to make the equivalent checks, the residency criterion will be stringently enforced.''

That was something I queried myself and was informed that although as GR you would be vetted to their standards, the issue was vetting your family and associates...well that was the response I have gotten from them.

• Advertisement

rocky911 wrote: »
    That was something I queried myself and was informed that although as GR you would be vetted to their standards, the issue was vetting your family and associates...well that was the response I have gotten from them.

I think their woul be no harm chancing it. I'll give it a go

Heard back from west midlands. Unfortunatly they wont take us because of vetting issues

Saw a report that the commissioner stated that the college would be able to cater for Aprox 300 plus students a quarter, is that good for us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Well its not a bad thing but it shows the capability of the college running at max. assuming that pace stays then they should be close to giving Band 2 a call late this year or early next year.

tbh im not banking on it anymore. If it happens it happens. An opportuity has come up for me and iv decided to take it. If i get a shot down the line i will go it. But iv signed a 4 year contract for a company in the UK and if the garda comes up after then il go for it.

Well your correct in not waiting around and taking that 4 year contract. If you get the chance later down the road to join AGS then that experience in the UK will stand to you. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I see it's been announced 250 extra Garda to be recruited .

What will that mean for band 2??

Good question...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nothing, there are sufficient numbers still actively interested in Band 1 to fill the next intake, and another one of the same size after that if needed.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nothing, there are sufficient numbers still actively interested in Band 1 to fill the next intake, and another one of the same size after that if needed.

If what you say is true they wont have to hold another recruitment competition for 10/15 years. There is 3 bands and over 15,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

i'm imagine they will go to the remaining band 1 but those at the head of the band 2 group may have the opportunity to progress in the competition at this stage.

i am band 1 but havent been called at this stage so this news is very interesting to me. I'm pushing on in age and actually picked up a very good job at present but youve got to keep your options open

slingerz wrote: »
    i'm imagine they will go to the remaining band 1 but those at the head of the band 2 group may have the opportunity to progress in the competition at this stage.

i am band 1 but havent been called at this stage so this news is very interesting to me. I'm pushing on in age and actually picked up a very good job at present but youve got to keep your options open

I'm already in a very good job,have been for the last 8 years since the last recruitment but would leave it in the morning. Being a Garda is something I've always wanted to do. I'm 29 so I have a little time but not too much before I may just forget about it and concentrate on my current role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well it's quite easy really to figure this out. How many people so far from band one have been called? Take will make up the 300 figure if I am correct its around 300/3000 people? So another 250 people will bring it closer to 5500. I'm a bit loose on the math but I would expect to reach about 4500 in the queue to be called. Then added on my 500 as the higher up we go the intelligence will drop so more of a fail rate will come into play with apptitude tests. So I expect with this news to reach maybe 5000 in the queue. Not good for I am in the mid 7000s. But in general its still good news.

Or the commisoner could be pulling an April fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well it's quite easy really to figure this out. How many people so far from band one have been called? Take will make up the 300 figure if I am correct its around 300/3000 people? So another 250 people will bring it closer to 5500. I'm a bit loose on the math but I would expect to reach about 4500 in the queue to be called. Then added on my 500 as the higher up we go the intelligence will drop so more of a fail rate will come into play with apptitude tests. So I expect with this news to reach maybe 5000 in the queue. Not good for I am in the mid 7000s. But in general its still good news.

Or the commisoner could be pulling an April fools.

1900 have been called forward from Band 1, out of that 1900 there is currently 298 in Temolemore and 600 of them out of the 1900 only got results from Stage 3 tests last week, however how many were called forward to Stage 4 from the 600 is anyones guess. There is still people waiting to enter the college from the first 1200 from Band 1 too, they are doing their medicals this week, so there seems to be sufficient numbers in the Stage 1 3200 people to cover the next 250 people for this year.

I expect that those remaining in Band 1 (1-1900 and 1900-3100) will fill the 250 announced today and possibly another 100-200. However the increase in numbers from 100 to 125 per intake is a good sign and may indicate an increase intake going forward. It will also mean that BAND 2 will in most probability be reached sooner as a result and may be asked to progress to stage 2 before end of this year.
    As stated earlier there are still people in the first 1200 who are waiting around for medical and vetting and these will gradually fall into intakes as they eventually get processed.
    In addition to the 250 announced today for this year I would expect that further approval for more will be announced later in the year or around budget time so you could see and additional intake coming up to Christmas or shortly thereafter.
    So all in all good news from todays announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

One thing to note the further you go back in band 1/2 the more people that will fail. Due to the passing score being higher. Plus more will have moved on.

empacher wrote: »
    One thing to note the further you go back in band 1/2 the more people that will fail. Due to the passing score being higher. Plus more will have moved on.

Not a hope lads. I rang public jobs there out of shear curiosity and asked was there any chance of band 2 being called. Not a hope she said. There only halfway through band one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Very hard to make out what you just typed.
    Not only the figures but the punctuation was bad. No paragraphs etc

Its typed on my phone and I don't see why you need to publically bring it up? The figures are way off but it was to give people an idea of what way to look at this. I was under the impression boards.ie had gotten strict on it policy of people conducting there own grammer tests on users.

Anyway like someone else said, we may need to hear of another announcement of 250/300 recruited to see them bite into band 2. But its good news regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

D
    Not a hope lads. I rang public jobs there out of shear curiosity and asked was there any chance of band 2 being called. Not a hope she said. There only halfway through band one.

Did they act say that to you ? Wonder there will be an internal stream so in the next drive

• Advertisement

D

Did they act say that to you ? Wonder there will be an internal stream so in the next drive

That they had processed 2000 applications from band one and they will be working through band one for the foreseeable future. I asked when would we get the opportunity to do the second test and she avoided the question

Is the ballon burst do ye think ??

mycro89 wrote: »
    Is the ballon burst do ye think ??

How do you mean ??

Depends on who you meet when you ring up. Regardless on who you meet and on the basis that we have been told publically that there will be seamless recruitment it will only be in most probability only a matter of time when they go to BAND 2.

Copaholic wrote: »
    Depends on who you meet when you ring up. Regardless on who you meet and on the basis that we have been told publically that there will be seamless recruitment it will only be in most probability only a matter of time when they go to BAND 2.

Ive no doubt that they will go to Band 3 at some stage in the near future but I wonder will they change the bar a bit as the commissioner is quoted as saying in a recent justice meeting in the Oireachtas the other day that they are currently in discussions with PAS about introducing an internal stream for Reserves. Now not saying that WILL happen anytime soon but it is a possibilty that they may go down this route also

I wasn't aware of this development on discussions on an internal stream, tell me more

Copaholic wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of this development on discussions on an internal stream, tell me more

By Internal, I mean a stream for reserves, Heres FF Niall Collins addressing the Commissioner in the Oireachtas last week

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Niall-Collins/365558726793635

Thanks for that. I suppose It might work something like the irish stream where it would be going on simultaneously with usual recruitment

By Internal, I mean a stream for reserves, Heres FF Niall Collins addressing the Commissioner in the Oireachtas last week

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Niall-Collins/365558726793635

He's a good representative, Niall Collins.
    I really believe he's wasted in Fianna Fáil

I don't like the way Shatter said '300 recruits for 2014', when in fact it was 200.
    And it's looking like by year end 2015, it will be 350.
    If the Govt kept their promise it should have been 600 over two years minimum

He's a good representative, Niall Collins.
    I really believe he's wasted in Fianna Fáil

I don't like the way Shatter said '300 recruits for 2014', when in fact it was 200.
    And it's looking like by year end 2015, it will be 350.
    If the Govt kept their promise it should have been 600 over two years minimum

I would have no affilation whatsoever but I do believe he is very good rep and could do a lot if giving the chance. Funny considering his background is accountancy with EY but maybe that experience of seeing of how large organisations work is helping him.

Shatter was an absolute gangster that at the time of the recruitment process had other things on his mind which is why I think that the campaign itself did not get the full attention it deserved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement