Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Ah not for a while but I'd at band 1 is nearly finished so they are going to either call band 2 or if not, scrap the bands and start from scratch again. Personally I'd prefer if they started from scratch in sick of this bs

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

on the basis that the remainder of BAND 1 has been called to stage 3 I reckon there a pretty good chance that Band 2 will be called forward to do stage 2 before the end of the year. As we know that had the effect of dropping 2000 of the band 1 when it was initially 5000 so being called to stage 2 will have a similar effect (but not sure to what extent)on band 2. On the basis that band 2 is 4000 strong officially and on the basis that over time there has been some drop outs and when stage 2 tests are applied it is possible that the new band 2 (after stage 2 completed) could be as low as 2000 if not lower. The other issue is that whether going forward they will continue to call in groups of 600 or possibly 800 or 1000. the fact that about 1200 has been called in the last round of BAND 1 may point to the fact that not sufficient numbers were emerging as recruits from groups of 600. All in all they could sweep through band 2 next year and certainly quicker than people initially believed and lets hope so.

Let's hope it not in the last 3 weeks in November cause I'm going to the states!!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Not feeling confident, we appear to be the forgotten ones....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

You're not forgotten, there is a process and it takes time, sign out from boards for a while and forget about it, you're not doing yourself any good thinking its going to happen every other day

• Advertisement

And band 3 are fcuked altogether..i know lads who have tried to convince me to leave it and oust me from the campaign cause I have a better chance than I have. Start your application for the reserve while you are waiting and at least that will be something....go travelling or domething

Reserve may be a load of crap but that will look good

There's and online criminology course you can do starting on September with coty colleges I'll be doing it out of interest you should do it mycro

I'll look into that course and give it consideration, I find the process a little irritating at times. The fact that band 1 are are progressing along - they no where they stand, what's stopping band 2 doing the second online test now, if it were to be done now wouldn't we be ready to be called in for assessment ?

Man there is no point thinking too much about it. It is not something you can control. It will happen when it happens. I stopped worrying about it. I'm sure we will get the call and if we don't there will be another campaign and we can start from scratch

• Advertisement

Any ideas where they are at the minute with band 1? Is there many waiting for the call to next stage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

VPNs!? Come on lads and lassies, back on topic please

-KERSPLAT!

Hello guys, how are we all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Polo Pete

mycro89 wrote: »
    Hello guys, how are we all?

Tired of waitin man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Polo Pete wrote: »
    Tired of waitin man

Would you consider asking your local TD to put a question to the Minister for Justice asking when a new campaign will begin.

That way the Minister for Justice must make a statement on the matter
    You'll know where ye all stand

chill the bean. it will happen soon.

More offers our, getting closer now, plus they are moving swiftly through band 1 now.....

Has anyone done courses with kilroys college and are they any good?
    Sorry MOD pm me an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 11 karl6709

Has anyone done courses with kilroys college and are they any good?
    Sorry MOD pm me an answer

I should have done it prior to the aptitude tests! I made it into band 3. Still holding out hope for a call someday so i invested in the kilroys course. well worth the buy..ill keep revising it until i get a call or another campaign gets announced!

More progressing along it appears

• Advertisement

Where more offers made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I just read a massive new garda hq is being built in wexford.. That can only be good news for recruitment lads....

carzony wrote: »
    I just read a massive new garda hq is being built in wexford.. That can only be good news for recruitment lads....

It's a divisional HQ - nothing got to do with recruitment.

They're using money that was allocated for 3 HQs back in 2013, Kevin St and Galway being the other two.

Any point in ringing public jobs to see what the story is?

Any point in ringing public jobs to see what the story is?

Well not at this time of night

Ya but I kinda need to know at this stage so I can start to make alternate plans if we haven't a hope

Ya but I kinda need to know at this stage so I can start to make alternate plans if we haven't a hope

All candidates should be making alternate plans regardless of what band they were in because it is a slow slow process. What number are you?

Ya I am but I need to start doing stuff about it now. My number doesn't matter cause band 2 will be called to stage 2 like band 1 and will be rearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

Ya I am but I need to start doing stuff about it now. My number doesn't matter cause band 2 will be called to stage 2 like band 1 and will be rearranged.

As D Trent said, it's a slow slow process. I agree that everyone should make alternate plans. It could be a year or more before Band 2 get called to Stage 2 and even then you could be waiting a year to get to Stage 3. You can't put your life on hold.
    Do you mind me asking how old you are?

• Advertisement

Ah I'm young still have time but iv put a lot of work into getting the Gards and to be stopped at the aptitude test us very frustrating. I have a plan b. I just trying to decide of I should execute it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

I'd say go ahead with plan B, if it is a college course you are planning on doing you can always defer the gards until you complete it, I seen this from Frances Fitzgerald on Kildarestreet.com;

"The personnel strength of An Garda Síochána on 31 May was 12,772. The first intake since 2009, consisting of 100 recruits, entered training in Templemore on 15 September 2014. As part of the 2015 budget, I announced a further intake of 200 recruits, and on 15 December, the first 100 of those started. The remaining 100 entered the college in February this year. The September intake attested as members of the Garda Síochána on 23 April and, as I am sure the Deputy is aware, have been allocated by the Garda Commissioner to stations around the country, where they can get supervision and take up front-line duties. There will be further attestations in July and September, and I have received sanction for a further two intakes of 125 each. The number of new recruits coming on board is 550 in the past year. Taking account of crime trends and policing priorities, they will be assigned appropriately.

It is not possible to say precisely what Garda strength will be at the end of 2015, or even more so in 2016 and 2017, as this will depend on the number of retirements. They can vary quite significantly from one year to the next. As I have said all along, the retirement rate will be very carefully monitored and will naturally influence the level of recruitment needed to maintain Garda strength."

Don't sit around waiting for it to happen, a watched pot never boils as they say and also when you get to the interview and they ask about what you have been doing over the past few years at least you can say you were pushing yourself to be better and keep busy while waiting for the garda process to move along etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellemac3

I'd say go ahead with plan B, if it is a college course you are planning on doing you can always defer the gards until you complete it, I seen this from Frances Fitzgerald on Kildarestreet.com;

"The personnel strength of An Garda Síochána on 31 May was 12,772. The first intake since 2009, consisting of 100 recruits, entered training in Templemore on 15 September 2014. As part of the 2015 budget, I announced a further intake of 200 recruits, and on 15 December, the first 100 of those started. The remaining 100 entered the college in February this year. The September intake attested as members of the Garda Síochána on 23 April and, as I am sure the Deputy is aware, have been allocated by the Garda Commissioner to stations around the country, where they can get supervision and take up front-line duties. There will be further attestations in July and September, and I have received sanction for a further two intakes of 125 each. The number of new recruits coming on board is 550 in the past year. Taking account of crime trends and policing priorities, they will be assigned appropriately.

It is not possible to say precisely what Garda strength will be at the end of 2015, or even more so in 2016 and 2017, as this will depend on the number of retirements. They can vary quite significantly from one year to the next. As I have said all along, the retirement rate will be very carefully monitored and will naturally influence the level of recruitment needed to maintain Garda strength."

Don't sit around waiting for it to happen, a watched pot never boils as they say and also when you get to the interview and they ask about what you have been doing over the past few years at least you can say you were pushing yourself to be better and keep busy while waiting for the garda process to move along etc

I totally agree with this when I came to the final few months before finishing college I was close to a nervous break down as all I ever wanted to do was join AGS however they were not recruiting, now 3 years later after gainin life and work experiences from workin in the scientific industry i have been excepted to Templemore but with out workin in the science industry for 3 years I would probably have failed at the interviewing stages!!!! I would definitely say go with plan B and then your time will come what's 2-3 years in the gran scene of things when you can get your ideal career in the end!!!! I would definitely recommend joinin the reserves if you are serious about it!!

I'm doin the reserve the the last 5 years kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellemac3

I'm doin the reserve the the last 5 years kid...

Well that will be a great help for you when you get to the interview stage and the meetings with sergeants and superintendents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I have executed the plan b myself. I would go with it. Only thing is the reserves have gone on the back burner been honest. It's a waste of time and the Garda couldn't careless if your there or not. Makes it worse, theres no one at the wheel of the reserve ship from the looks of things.

• Advertisement

We have confirmation band 1 is complete I repeat band 1 is now complete

Taken from the stage 3 forum
    "
    ---Quote (Originally by caza182)---
    As far as I'm aware they are finished with band 1 now, the minister came out and said she intends for recruitment to continue through to 2017 with numbers averaging 500 trainees a year (that number includes those graduating out of the college, those who are currently attending the college and the others who have passed all stages and are waiting to attend the college)
    In my opinion I would think that band 2 will be called, this campaign is only *entering its second year * and it would make no sense to start a fresh new campaign when you have thousands waiting to be called! To be honest I doubt they could even fund another new campaign that soon if the likes of 25.000 are going to apply again!
    ---End Quote---
    It's entering its third year.

Also it's not necessarily saving them money using same campaign, recently a lot of people were saying there was a 70-80% attendance rate at Stage 3.
    That will continue/get worse if they call Band 2 or 3.
    Also since the economy has enjoyed an upturn, there will be a lot less people applying for Gardai than in 2013"

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

the official line from the Minister..

Garda Recruitment

161. Deputy Niall Collins Information on Niall Collins Zoom on Niall Collins asked the Minister for Justice and Equality Information on Frances Fitzgerald Zoom on Frances Fitzgerald the timeframe for which the current panel will remain in place after the most recent recruitment competition into the Garda Síochána; when it is envisaged the next competition will take place; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [28161/15]

Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Frances Fitzgerald): Information on Frances Fitzgerald Zoom on Frances Fitzgerald The Deputy will be aware that I have received sanction from the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform for two further intakes of 125 Garda recruits later this year. The Public Appointments Service (PAS) is managing the recruitment process for the Garda Commissioner and I have no direct involvement in the matter.

The position in relation to the current competition is as follows: Following receipt of 24,000 applications, PAS invited candidates to complete Stage 1 of the competition which consisted of an assessment questionnaire and reasoning tests which were undertaken on-line. I understand that around 18,000 candidates completed this stage and fewer than 13,000 candidates reached a satisfactory standard. Those who did achieve a satisfactory standard were placed in three bands determined by their overall scores. 5,000 candidates (i.e. those in Band 1) were invited to take a subsequent series of tests and of that number, just over 3,000 were successful.

I understand that PAS is continuing to progress Band 1 through the selection process and interviewing for that group will conclude in August. The names of candidates who qualify through these initial rounds will be forwarded to the Garda Commissioner for further consideration.

Depending on the Commissioner's recruitment requirements, PAS will then move to those in Band 2 and possibly Band 3, if necessary.

The timing of the next recruitment competition will depend on the extent to which the current bands of candidates satisfy Garda student intake requirements.

And band 1 is finished got an email from public jobs confirming it. It's only a waiting game now lads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

And band 1 is finished got an email from public jobs confirming it. It's only a waiting game now lads

What email did you get from PublicJobs?

• Advertisement

Thank you for your email. At present, we have assessed all candidates from Band 1, up to and including candidates placed 3100. No candidates from Band 2 have been brought forward for further testing in the Garda Recruitment competition.

No movement will occur in Band 2 until we are notified by Garda HQ and the Minister for Justice to go ahead and call the relevant candidates forward.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Whats anyones guess on the number of candidates from band 1 currently left in the process from stages 3 to 5.

None

Not a guess a fact

None

You must not have understood my question there is still a considerable amout of people from band 1 still in the process of doing interviews and medicals and also with everything done waiting for call all ahead of us. I understand that everyone from band one has stage 3 done and are out of public jobs hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

Between 1900-2500 and 2500-3100 were called to stage 3 within a month of eachother so considering that the first group has finished interviews and received results and the latter group is just starting the interviews I would take a random guess of somewhere between 400-600 of band 1 are still between stage 4 to completion of all stages, I did my interview yesterday and was talking to a fella working for the recruitment who had told me the pass rates for stage 3 and the interviews were quite good that's why my guess is quite high on the scale

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

also bear in mind that the turn out rate for stage 3 was quite poor even yesterday there was somewhere between 15 and 20 to be interviewed on my sheet and the fella told me that already 4 hadn't turned up!

caza182 wrote: »
    Between 1900-2500 and 2500-3100 were called to stage 3 within a month of eachother so considering that the first group has finished interviews and received results and the latter group is just starting the interviews I would take a random guess of somewhere between 400-600 of band 1 are still between stage 4 to completion of all stages, I did my interview yesterday and was talking to a fella working for the recruitment who had told me the pass rates for stage 3 and the interviews were quite good that's why my guess is quite high on the scale

Thank you. So 1200 were called forward with first 600 done and next 600 in the process. With good pass rate out of that 1200 even more than 600 could be left as there is also more further up the process waiting for vetting and just an offer also people who get to re-do fitness. There could be 800 or 900 ahead of us yet all the time. That could be this years and next years recruitment covered depending on pass rate

thekopend wrote: »
    Thank you. So 1200 were called forward with first 600 done and next 600 in the process. With good pass rate out of that 1200 even more than 600 could be left as there is also more further up the process waiting for vetting and just an offer also people who get to re-do fitness. There could be 800 or 900 ahead of us yet all the time. That could be this years and next years recruitment covered depending on pass rate
    Sorry got mixed up. 1200 were called for stage 3 not 4 so how much got passed this stage i wonder maybe 700-800 and the first have done interview and second are doing it which will bring it down to about 400-600 like you said. Might get a chance next year

Well as far as I'm concerned we will be called in the next few months so I'm starting to prepare now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement