Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

maniac2000 wrote: »
    300 guards passing out in 1 year? thats either a lot of classes or fewer larger classes. number seems very high

That's a small number for one year
    Where did you place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

want2b wrote: »
    That's a small number for one year
    Where did you place?

Templemore must have a quick turnover to facilitate 300 in 1 year!

low 300's

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

300 guards passing out in 1 year? thats either a lot of classes or fewer larger classes. number seems very high

May be 3 phases of approximately 90 plus per class. This may be based on the large lecture hall in the college it holds about 90 students

Raider190 wrote: »
    May be 3 phases of approximately 90 plus per class. This may be based on the large lecture hall in the college it holds about 90 students

Wow I didn't know recruit classes were so big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Raider190 wrote: »

The main lecture theatres hold about 200 people. Previous intakes were around the 300 mark split into 12 classes and there were 4 intakes a year.

Wow I didn't know recruit classes were so big!

My reserve class as 50 strong so can only assume for the regular it will be larger to maximise the instructors time and get as many on the street after the 32 or weeks of basic training

Bloodwing wrote: »
    The main lecture theatres hold about 200 people. Previous intakes were around the 300 mark split into 12 classes and there were 4 intakes a year.

You mat be right dont know can only repeat what one if the instructors told me yesterday when I was in the college

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Just got an email as gaeilge from publicjobs as I had clicked the fluency in Irish part at the first stage of the application. All might not be lost, might be able to go forward as an Irish speaking candidate! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

blazermel wrote: »
    Just got an email as gaeilge from publicjobs as I had clicked the fluency in Irish part at the first stage of the application. All might not be lost, might be able to go forward as an Irish speaking candidate! :)

Oh no! I'm completely fluent in Irish but I didn't tick it because I didn't want to get posted to a Gaeltacht in middle of nowhere :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I did think that's was going to happen until I read there will be bands in stage 2 also, when you think about it it only make sence to have bands all the way up unfortunley us in band 2 at stage 1 will nearly be at the end of the pile once all the stage are finished and the chances will get smaller and smaller you would want to be getting to at least stage 3 band 2 to have any chance to progress in next 3 years. Again this is only my out look on things

Where did you read that stage 2 would be divided into bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Rothmans wrote: »

That can't be good for us then can it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Its in the information booklet, the one thats attached to the link for example tests and so on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Merging with existing thread, which is the one you're reading now.

billie1b wrote: »
    Its in the information booklet, the one thats attached to the link for example tests and so on

Thanks. From the below quote, I would be of the opinion that nobody is going to 'fail' stage 2, but rather be called in batches to the next stage until (and if) band 1 in its entirety is exhausted. Then they will be looking towards the 5000+ in batch 2 and 3. Just my interpretation.

• Candidates will be ranked based on their responses to the two aptitude tests. They must qualify in both tests and those ranked highest will be invited in batches as required, to undertake the next stage of the selection process. Stage 3 will comprise an Assessment Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'm position 5372. So band 2. I'll be 35 in November so it's the end of the road for me I reckon.

?

You were 34 before the closing date. Thats all that matters. Doesn't matter even if you're 40 by the time you enter Templemore off this campaign. You were off the correct age before the closing date on 9th Jan this year.

• Advertisement

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    ?

You were 34 before the closing date. Thats all that matters. Doesn't matter even if you're 40 by the time you enter Templemore off this campaign. You were off the correct age before the closing date on 9th Jan this year.

I think she means for the next campaign.

Ah ok :o

How many within band one won't meet the educational requirements? Won't pass the physical? The medical? The back ground checks? The assessment center? The interview ?

Will those in band 2 and 3 get a look in at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

i reckon if Band 1 is broken into bands as well based on the scores in Stage 2 then for arguements sake say 2,000 of the 5,000 fail this stage the 3,000 left will be broken into bands 1, 2, 3 is that how its going to work?

slingerz wrote: »
    i reckon if Band 1 is broken into bands as well based on the scores in Stage 2 then for arguements sake say 2,000 of the 5,000 fail this stage the 3,000 left will be broken into bands 1, 2, 3 is that how its going to work?

If they fail they are gone is it? We are left in limbo in these bands.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

I don't tink we'll hear anything for months. They will probably use Band 1 for this year, and band 2/3 for next year.

Shatter did say that they will be using this campaign to recruit for the next three years so maybe.

I was talking to someone I know earlier who also made it into band 2. He told me that his girlfreind did the test for him. Makes me think how many people got help on the day? In all the bands?

I think all the 3 bands should do the test in the exam hall, because in stage two im sure people will be getting extra help to do the exam. Doing the exam at home un-supervised was never a good idea.

12,500 passed the first test. 12,500 should do the next test.

We will be left in limbo for months, and probably will get an email in a few months down the line to do stage 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't tink we'll hear anything for months. They will probably use Band 1 for this year, and band 2/3 for next year.

Shatter did say that they will be using this campaign to recruit for the next three years so maybe.

I was talking to someone I know earlier who also made it into band 2. He told me that his girlfreind did the test for him. Makes me think how many people got help on the day? In all the bands?

I think all the 3 bands should do the test in the exam hall, because in stage two im sure people will be getting extra help to do the exam. Doing the exam at home un-supervised was never a good idea.

12,500 passed the first test. 12,500 should do the next test.

We will be left in limbo for months, and probably will get an email in a few months down the line to do stage 2.

Cheated and still didn't make the first 5k, serves him right.

I do agree that some may have had help and may get help again for Stage 2 but getting 25k into exam halls would be a logistical nightmare I'd imagine and the collection of assessments is much easier and quicker when done online. IMO any cheaters will be weeded out come Stage 3

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Cheated and still didn't make the first 5k, serves him right.

I do agree that some may have had help and may get help again for Stage 2 but getting 25k into exam halls would be a logistical nightmare I'd imagine and the collection of assessments is much easier and quicker when done online. IMO any cheaters will be weeded out come Stage 3

Yeah it would be a nightmare, but what was the average amount of people applying for the Gardai in previous years? someone said on boards that it was around 10,000.

I'm just wondering, are the people in band 1 considered smarter then those in band 2/3? or would they be seen as potentially better Gardai?

I think its a little to early to be dividing people up, after only one, un-supervised, online exam. I know the exam was tough and fairly thourogh, but an exam hall is fair for eveyone.

Maybe im just getting ahead of myself. Theres no reason why we won't get called eventually. I'm dissapointed to be in band 2, but its better then failing

Yeah it would be a nightmare, but what was the average amount of people applying for the Gardai in previous years? someone said on boards that it was around 10,000.

I'm just wondering, are the people in band 1 considered smarter then those in band 2/3? or would they be seen as potentially better Gardai?

I think its a little to early to be dividing people up, after only one, un-supervised, online exam. I know the exam was tough and fairly thourogh, but an exam hall is fair for eveyone.

Maybe im just getting ahead of myself. Theres no reason why we won't get called eventually. I'm dissapointed to be in band 2, but its better then failing

I am in the process of writing an email to my local minister, is anyone else doing this so we can get the issue raised and clarity on the matter ?

mycro89 wrote: »
    I am in the process of writing an email to my local minister, is anyone else doing this so we can get the issue raised and clarity on the matter ?

Did you try ring or email PAS?

Did you try ring or email PAS?

No, have you ?

No, have you ?

Why would I, I have no questions right now. If or when I do I'll email or call someone who is actually involved in the process

Why would I, I have no questions right now. If or when I do I'll email or call someone who is actually involved in the process

Just wondering are you in band 2 or 3? I'm just curious that is all, forgive me for asking questions...

Just wondering are you in band 2 or 3? I'm just curious that is all, forgive me for asking questions...

Neither. I'm in band 1. There's no problem asking questions I just don't see the point in emailing a minister or local councillor when you could just as easily mail PAS, if anyone will give you answers, it's them.

What will be achieved by this action? As pointed out already ring PAS if you have questions. I don't see what all the fuss is about. You made band 2 or 3 and that's not going to change. You best off looking forward and getting over the whole thing. Don't get hung up and stay focused on the future. Writing letters to ministers wont do you any favours nor will it help you progress further

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Neither. I'm in band 1. There's no problem asking questions I just don't see the point in emailing a minister or local councilor when you could just as easily mail PAS, if anyone will give you answers, it's them.

Ministers or TDs seem to have ways of not getting a generic response from state body's.

Lads on the educational front just checked my LC, I'm a bit iffy with my Maths it's an F and Irish foundation D3 actually thought it was a D1. I can compensate the Maths with a Fetac level 6 cert. But I would much rather go back and just pass the blooming two of them. Could anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced course around the Dublin City area?

What will be achieved by this action? As pointed out already ring PAS if you have questions. I don't see what all the fuss is about. You made band 2 or 3 and that's not going to change. You best off looking forward and getting over the whole thing. Don't get hung up and stay focused on the future. Writing letters to ministers wont do you any favours nor will it help you progress further

Are you advising me to move on essentially ?

Are you advising me to move on essentially ?

Not as blunt as that no. Try contact PAS they have been helpful to me in the past and your not the only one looking for clarification. My point was that even if you ring PAS it wont change your circumstances at this minute of going through. You passed but didn't get in the top % that they were looking for. It's a number cutting game and it's extremely cruel process but as happened to me in the past where I got through to the DFB round 2 and passed but didnt make the top % so didn't progress nor was I ever called as they got the numbers they wanted and always do, its how its done and how it will always be done unfortunately. try not let it get the better of you.

The bands are they're for a reason. Eventually we will either be told we're progressing to stage two, or told we're no longer needed.

I'm relaxed about it. I'm expecting this to drag on for months either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

msg11 wrote: »
    Ministers or TDs seem to have ways of not getting a generic response from state body's.

Lads on the educational front just checked my LC, I'm a bit iffy with my Maths it's an F and Irish foundation D3 actually thought it was a D1. I can compensate the Maths with a Fetac level 6 cert. But I would much rather go back and just pass the blooming two of them. Could anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced course around the Dublin City area?

examinations.ie to re-book the tests, not sure about places to study but i'm nearly sure you can't sit them until June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

The bands are they're for a reason. Eventually we will either be told we're progressing to stage two, or told we're no longer needed.

I'm relaxed about it. I'm expecting this to drag on for months either way

Unless there is more than 2000 cut out of band 1 in the next aptitudes there won't be a chance of band 2 getting a look in for 2 or 3 years if you ask me. They only need 300-350 this year. If 3000 get to interviews and onwards they will definately have enough for next 2 years. Can't see much in band 1 failing stage two tests after all they were the top 5k out if 26k. All I know is they have cut a fair few good candidates out too soon. In my opinion the people that passed should at leased get to do the online exams, it's not going to cost them too much. Or they should have let let's say 10 k progress. And then whittle it down. Let them make the batches after all the aptitudes are done instead of making different batches at different aptitudes.That would make more sence to me neway

thekopend wrote: »
    Unless there is more than 2000 cut out of band 1 in the next aptitudes there won't be a chance of band 2 getting a look in for 2 or 3 years if you ask me. They only need 300-350 this year. If 3000 get to interviews and onwards they will definately have enough for next 2 years. Can't see much in band 1 failing stage two tests after all they were the top 5k out if 26k. All I know is they have cut a fair few good candidates out too soon. In my opinion the people that passed should at leased get to do the online exams, it's not going to cost them too much. Or they should have let let's say 10 k progress. And then whittle it down. Let them make the batches after all the aptitudes are done instead of making different batches at different aptitudes.That would make more sence to me neway

Let's not forget, the next apptitude, the assessment centre, the physical, the medial, back ground check , the interview, you wouldn't be long cutting the numbers back, they may require more candidates to come forward should those that get to interview stage be deemed not right by the panel interviewing

All is not lost as of yet for the bands in my belief

Iv said it before on another thread but I got no feedback, if batch 2 get called I presume they will be called as a whole to stage two as opposed to 500 here and there. I don't see any point in batches unless it is the case that they get called in 'batches' just like batch one did

Iv said it before on another thread but I got no feedback, if batch 2 get called I presume they will be called as a whole to stage two as opposed to 500 here and there. I don't see any point in batches unless it is the case that they get called in 'batches' just like batch one did

But the way I see it, say 1,500 of the 5,000 go forward for interview, of which 500 are deemed acceptable, do they draw from the batches created within ban 1 or do they move on and call band 2 to form a panel?? , we shouldn't forget that stage 3 is going to tell a lot for every band should they get that far, you could see band 1 nearly halving at that stage then others failing from there on in...... I am hopeful yet

• Advertisement

I agree. We should get called as a batch, as opposed to a few individuals.

There's not much of a difference in terms of marks between us all.

If I was offered a chance to do stage 2 for recruitment next year I'd take it. I'd gladly wait if it meant I still continued.

I've a feeling this year is beyond this band

I agree. We should get called as a batch, as opposed to a few individuals.

There's not much of a difference in terms of marks between us all.

If I was offered a chance to do stage 2 for recruitment next year I'd take it. I'd gladly wait if it meant I still continued.

I've a feeling this year is beyond this band

Without a doubt not all those within band will meet the standard at interview stage, pass the physical, medial etc, I believe we will get a chance, maybe not this year but perhaps next. This campaign is for the next two years wasn't it said? If that is the case then they'll need to top up the numbers to interview and they can only come from somewhere, the other bands

Without a doubt not all those within band will meet the standard at interview stage, pass the physical, medial etc, I believe we will get a chance, maybe not this year but perhaps next. This campaign is for the next two years wasn't it said? If that is the case then they'll need to top up the numbers to interview and they can only come from somewhere, the other bands

I've mentioned it before, and I will say it again. This campaign resembles that of 1989. Even the number of people who progressed beyond stage 1 is almost identical (5,090).

What do you folks reckon of the below quote and its application to the current campaign?

My take on it is that band one will be divided up into three separate bands for recruitment over the next three years, but this is completely my own opinion.
    The number of candidates who reached the qualifying standard in the written test was 5,090. Interviews of those placed highest in this test have now commenced. Recruitment is to take place over a three-year period (300 in 1989, 300 in 1990 and 400 in 1991) and interviews are also scheduled to take place, on a phased basis, over the same period. Those candidates who, on the basis of the written test, will be called for interview have been notified of that and of the year in which they will be called. The numbers at present scheduled to be interviewed in each year are as follows:

Number to be interviewed—1989, 1,116; 1990, 1,150; 1991, 1,641. Total: 3,907.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1989/01/25/00059.asp

I've mentioned it before, and I will say it again. This campaign resembles that of 1989. Even the number of people who progressed beyond stage 1 is almost identical (5,090).

What do you folks reckon of the below quote and its application to the current campaign?

My take on it is that band one will be divided up into three separate bands for recruitment over the next three years, but this is completely my own opinion.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1989/01/25/00059.asp

If that is the case, why didn't they say to those in band 2 and band 3, thanks for completing stage one but we will not be proceeding any further with your application !?

If that is the case, why didn't they say to those in band 2 and band 3, thanks for completing stage one but we will not be proceeding any further with your application !?

I don't know.

I think it might be because they don't know how many Gardaí they will actually be recruiting over the next three years. Strictly speaking, to maintain a force of 13,000, they would need to be recruiting approx 450 ( i.e. 13,000/30 years service) per year. And that is where band 2 and three come into it imo. If finances permit, I think that PAS will recruit these numbers over the next three years, thereby bringing band two, and possibly band three into things.

However, at this early stage the PAS have no concrete idea of how many they will be recruiting. Therefore, I think they are playing it safe by expecting recruitment of 300 per yer. However, if they do start to recruit more than this conservative estimate, that's where I believe band 2/3 will come into play. Basically, if it turns out that AGS are only permitted to recruit a minimal amount of recruits, then they'll not be able to go beyond band 1.

In essence, what I am saying is that there is uncertainty re band 2 and 3 among the PAS, and therefore they can't themselves promise anything to bands 2 and 3 with any degree of certainty. Only hope.

That's just my 2 cent, and I think it isn't that unreasonable a theory.

I don't know.

I think it might be because they don't know how many Gardaí they will actually be recruiting over the next three years. Strictly speaking, to maintain a force of 13,000, they would need to be recruiting approx 450 ( i.e. 13,000/30 years service) per year. And that is where band 2 and three come into it imo. If finances permit, I think that PAS will recruit these numbers over the next three years, thereby bringing band two, and possibly band three into things.

However, at this early stage the PAS have no concrete idea of how many they will be recruiting. Therefore, I think they are playing it safe by expecting recruitment of 300 per yer. However, if they do start to recruit more than this conservative estimate, that's where I believe band 2/3 will come into play. Basically, if it turns out that AGS are only permitted to recruit a minimal amount of recruits, then they'll not be able to go beyond band 1.

In essence, what I am saying is that there is uncertainty re band 2 and 3 among the PAS, and therefore they can't themselves promise anything to bands 2 and 3 with any degree of certainty. Only hope.

That's just my 2 cent, and I think it isn't that unreasonable a theory.

Don't think a 1000 out of 5000 will pass every stage left in front of them

Also 1989 didn't have two other bands, created for no reason apparently. If there was a very slim chance of band two being called then there wouldn't be a band 3 in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Don't think a 1000 out of 5000 will pass every stage left in front of them

Also 1989 didn't have two other bands, created for no reason apparently. If there was a very slim chance of band two being called then there wouldn't be a band 3 in my opinion.

The bands are there for a reason, next apptitude test, assessment centre, physical, medial vetting and interview the numbers won't be long falling at all of these stages

How are all the troops within this forum this weekend ? :)

Chirpiness isn't welcome on THIS forum

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    Chirpiness isn't welcome on THIS forum

May I ask why not? Are you saying we should all be down beat is it?

I was just being sarcastic. Everyone seems to be so down on this forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement