Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I was just being sarcastic. Everyone seems to be so down on this forum.

I don't think so. We all passed the exam, and are in the top 9,000.

No reason to be downbeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

After waiting so long to be stuck with another indefinite wait. Wouldn't mind if we were just told we will be called in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

I agree I think most people in theis forum would just like to know whats happening one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

I agree I think most people in theis forum would just like to know whats happening one way or the other.

The bands have to be there for a reason, if not we would have been told thanks and good luck

mycro89 wrote: »
    The bands have to be there for a reason, if not we would have been told thanks and good luck

It wouldn't be the first time they AGS left people in limbo ie:panal of 2008, so don't be surprised if your never hear anything.

It wouldn't be the first time they AGS left people in limbo ie:panal of 2008, so don't be surprised if your never hear anything.

You have approxiamely 7,000 people currently left in limbo, the panel of 2008 had how many?

Numbers will drop from stage to stage within band 1 now, they will have to have a minimum number to interview, if they need the numbers they will obvisiouly look at the other bands, it makes sense

You have approxiamely 7,000 people currently left in limbo, the panel of 2008 had how many?

Numbers will drop from stage to stage within band 1 now, they will have to have a minimum number to interview, if they need the numbers they will obvisiouly look at the other bands, it makes sense

People in band 1 seems to be finding the second stage test very difficult, so our only hope is that's most of them fail (not that I would wish that on anyone) but if most of them pass and start new bands for stage 2 I wouldn't hold much hope. I really think when stage 2 results are known for band 1 we will get more information on whats happening

People in band 1 seems to be finding the second stage test very difficult, so our only hope is that's most of them fail (not that I would wish that on anyone) but if most of them pass and start new bands for stage 2 I wouldn't hold much hope. I really think when stage 2 results are known for band 1 we will get more information on whats happening

Let's not forget, THREE YEARS!! apptitude test online, in the centre, physical, medical interview a lot of hurdles left yet, they will need a minimum to interview they will have to come from somewhere .....

Let's not forget, THREE YEARS!! apptitude test online, in the centre, physical, medical interview a lot of hurdles left yet, they will need a minimum to interview they will have to come from somewhere .....

Well I hope your right

Well I hope your right

I am probably totally wrong with all this........ :(

• Advertisement

Anybody find out and more information on stage 2...... Band 1 are starting today

Anybody find out and more information on stage 2...... Band 1 are starting today

Like what? It doesn't apply to us as of yet....

People seem to be finding stage 2 really hard so hopefully we get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

People seem to be finding stage 2 really hard so hopefully we get a chance

The practice is hard, haven't seen anyone mention the actual test. They only went live a short while ago

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The practice is hard, haven't seen anyone mention the actual test. They only went live a short while ago

Ye I guess it only make sence to get more practice in so people will wait until last day, can you ans me this do you do the same question over and over each time or do the change each practice test?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Ye I guess it only make sence to get more practice in so people will wait until last day, can you ans me this do you do the same question over and over each time or do the change each practice test?

They have to get the numbers down some way, next campaign band 2 will more than likely get a look in.....

They have to get the numbers down some way, next campaign band 2 will more than likely get a look in.....

So you don't think we get a look in this year?

So you don't think we get a look in this year?

Not a snowballs chance in hell will we get a look in this year, they will get 600 out of batch one anyway I'd say, that will cover next two years. 2016 they will prob need batch two I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

thekopend wrote: »
    Not a snowballs chance in hell will we get a look in this year, they will get 600 out of batch one anyway I'd say, that will cover next two years. 2016 they will prob need batch two I'd say

Plus don't forget folks we still have to pass the stages in the campaign to progress further !

msg11 wrote: »
    Plus don't forget folks we still have to pass the stages in the campaign to progress further !

Well we did pass stage 1, all we want to do is progress to the next stage ....

msg11 wrote: »

I know, i wouldnt mind if i actually failed a stage,

I know, i wouldnt mind if i actually failed a stage,

Ya it's horrible, what is your thinking on it long term?

Ya it's horrible, what is your thinking on it long term?

I recon they will prob get enough for next 2 years and then start using batch 2 for 3rd year. That's probably the best case scenario in my opinion, I want to be honest about it and forget the 'whishfull' thinking. This forum has had enough of that down through the years. Worst case scenario is they get enough for 3 years an then they scrap the batches and start a new campaign

It seems to me that people think band 2 will start getting called within the next few weeks/ months.

It's not going to happen unless shatter announces a mass recruitment drive when 2-3,000 people are needed.

It's going to be a long wait. Don't be sitting by your laptop checking your emails.

They said we "may" be called, not "will" be called.

I'm not trying to be all negative. I want to be realistic and acknowledge the fact that there are 5,000 with first preference.

We may be called at a future date, but I doubt it will be this year.

I'm just going to reiterate this as the final part of my rant.

Around 12,300 people passed the test. Why not leave all of them do stage 2. Then leave 6,150 progress to stage 3?

These bands were never mentioned at the start. Will there be bands after the next stages as well?

I think there just making it up as they go along

• Advertisement

It seems to me that people think band 2 will start getting called within the next few weeks/ months.

It's not going to happen unless shatter announces a mass recruitment drive when 2-3,000 people are needed.

It's going to be a long wait. Don't be sitting by your laptop checking your emails.

They said we "may" be called, not "will" be called.

I'm not trying to be all negative. I want to be realistic and acknowledge the fact that there are 5,000 with first preference.

We may be called at a future date, but I doubt it will be this year.

I'm just going to reiterate this as the final part of my rant.

Around 12,300 people passed the test. Why not leave all of them do stage 2. Then leave 6,150 progress to stage 3?

These bands were never mentioned at the start. Will there be bands after the next stages as well?

I think there just making it up as they go along

Lots of hurdles to be jumped yet with band 1....... Stage 1 saw a massive reduction, who is to say stage 2 won't do the same, then the other stages also..,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Lots of hurdles to be jumped yet with band 1....... Stage 1 saw a massive reduction, who is to say stage 2 won't do the same, then the other stages also..,,,

Unlikely that the reduction in stage 2 will be on the same scale as that seen in stage one though

Rothmans wrote: »
    Unlikely that the reduction in stage 2 will be on the same scale as that seen in stage one though

And were we aware of the level of reduction at stage 1 prior to the results , no..... Big shocks with this campaign .... More to come I'm sure

And were we aware of the level of reduction at stage 1 prior to the results , no..... Big shocks with this campaign .... More to come I'm sure

It wouldn't make too much sense to cull such a high proportion of the highest performing candidates though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My view on the cuts for Stage two are: 1,000 called for supervised assessment, 1,000 in band 2 and 1,000 in band 3, leaving 2,000 cut/fail

• Advertisement

It wouldn't make too much sense to cull such a high proportion of the highest performing candidates though.

Can you prove that the individual within band 1 is the highest performer?? All on the day, nerves etc, these next two tests are there for that reason, they are there for a reason.....

Can you prove that the individual within band 1 is the highest performer?? All on the day, nerves etc, these next two tests are there for that reason, they are there for a reason.....

But if they reduced it on the same proportions as for stage 1, then they wouldn't even have enough people to interview for the 300 positions.

So yes, stages 2 and 3 are obviously there for a reason, but its not to decimate band 1. Otherwise they would have taken a greater proportion onto stage 2 from the get-go if they intended to reduce numbers that significantly.

But if they reduced it on the same proportions as for stage 1, then they wouldn't even have enough people to interview for the 300 positions.

So yes, stages 2 and 3 are obviously there for a reason, but its not to decimate band 1. Otherwise they would have taken a greater proportion onto stage 2 from the get-go if they intended to reduce numbers that significantly.

What is the purpose of the bands so? For the craic is it?

What is the purpose of the bands so? For the craic is it?

Must be.

Must be.

Ah isn't that great shur....

In the past how many actually set the aptitude test and progressed to the next stage? Is it possible that this recruitment process will be done in waves? This year band 1 get a look in, serious culling of applicants here on in, numbers drop..... Next year another intake take those that maybe put on a panel after this years process plus applicants from other bands that may complete the other stages next year??

Any opinion on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

If there gonna take 300gards on over three years you can bet your ass batch 1 of 5000 people will fill those 900 places

5people to 1job

batch 2 and 3 are in for a long wait

batch 1 are the target percentile and they wont be culled in massive numbers. They will be drip fed into stage 3 and 4

WilcoOut wrote: »
    If there gonna take 300gards on over three years you can bet your ass batch 1 of 5000 people will fill those 900 places

5people to 1job

batch 2 and 3 are in for a long wait

batch 1 are the target percentile and they wont be culled in massive numbers. They will be drip fed into stage 3 and 4

How sure are you that those that make the cut will be acceptable at interview stage..... Many a hurdle ahead yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

How sure are you that those that make the cut will be acceptable at interview stage..... Many a hurdle ahead yet.....

Nobody knows yet and nobody will know for another few months at least, you will drive yourself cracked if you keep second guessing everything everyday on here, I am afraid nobody on here has any answers for you.

Get on to PAS if you desperatley need anymore info because if anyone knows the situation with band 2 they will (even though I doubt they will release any info).

Best of luck!

kev-bt wrote: »
    Nobody knows yet and nobody will know for another few months at least, you will drive yourself cracked if you keep second guessing everything everyday on here, I am afraid nobody on here has any answers for you.

Get on to PAS if you desperatley need anymore info because if anyone knows the situation with band 2 they will (even though I doubt they will release any info).

Best of luck!

Forgive me all, it's just beating me up, this could be my last time going for it, gutted I passed and passed well but don't know where I now stand

Forgive me all, it's just beating me up, this could be my last time going for it, gutted I passed and passed well but don't know where I now stand

I love your enthusiasm mycro89, but it's out of our hands.

All we can do is wait.

People applying for the Gardai might have a false perception of what the job actually entails.

It's not all CSI and love/ hate.

Lots of standing around in the cold in Garda checkpoints, lots of abuse and assaults by scumbags, mountains of paperwork, pressure, low wages, lack of resources etc

In my previous job I worked a lot with the Gardai and I've grown to understand the problems they face .

What I've noticed is the huge frustration due to the court system. Your arresting the same person for the same offences on a regular basis. Like shoplifting, drug offences, burglary etc

The person gets 6 months in prison after committing other offences while on bail, and when they are imprisoned they're released after 2 months and it's back to square one.

25,000 interested in the job? It's all fuelled by fantasy and movies. No other job has such a high interest rate.

It will only be when the person is fully attested will they realise how much of a thankless job it can be.

I hope the stages weed out these people because there will always be drop outs once they get to templemore

• Advertisement

All we can do is wait.

People applying for the Gardai might have a false perception of what the job actually entails.

Lots of standing around in the cold in Garda checkpoints, lots of abuse and assaults by scumbags, mountains of paperwork, pressure, low wages, lack of resources etc

In my previous job I worked a lot with the Gardai and I've grown to understand the problems they face .

What I've noticed is the huge frustration due to the court system. Your arresting the same person for the same offences on a regular basis. Like shoplifting, drug offences, burglary etc

The person gets 6 months in prison after committing other offences while on bail, and when they are imprisoned they're released after 2 months and it's back to square one.

25,000 interested in the job? It's all fuelled by fantasy and movies. No other job has such a high interest rate.

It will only be when the person is fully attested will they realise how much of a thankless job it can be.

I hope the stages weed out these people because there will always be drop outs once they get to templemore

I know a lad who passed out of garda college in 2008, was on the streets one week and quit couldn't handle it

I know a lad who passed out of garda college in 2008, was on the streets one week and quit couldn't handle it

I know a girl who was in Garda college and quit after two weeks. She went back to her job in Supervalu

I know a girl who was in Garda college and quit after two weeks. She went back to her job in Supervalu

Ye I think the jobs not for everyone, and I think people who like to be liked because a lot of people are going to hate you for just wearing the uniform

All we can do is wait.

Thanks for the support, It is what I want to do and I am well aware of what it entails, hopefully things work out over the next few weeks or months.....

Yes there are lots of stages to be passed and failed but if you think theyre going to cull the top end candidates in massive numbers so that the medium to lower end of candidates get through, well youve another thing coming

batch 1 candidates will be filling the college for the next 2 to 3 years

Although some wont be suitable etc it wont be in the numbers that will require batch 2 and 3 to be called up

batch 1 is the target audience, they are who AGS have gone to all this trouble to find. Stage 2 and 3 and 4 are the fine tuning

if i was in batch 2 or 3 id be moving on

batch 1 is the target audience, they are who AGS have gone to all this trouble to find. Stage 2 and 3 and 4 are the fine tuning

if i was in batch 2 or 3 id be moving on
    Getting high in the aptitude doesn't prove that you are who ags wants, load of scutter. The interview will be the deciding point weather you are who they want or not. Then you have to be fit enough and have good health. Aptitude only proves that you have a reasonable level of intelligence, the people in batch two are in no way lacking intelligence, the higher end results in batch two would have been top results in previous campaigns. The high number applying led to more top end results this time, but half of these people could be a far cry from a good garda. Don't be getting too ahead of yourself wilcoout the cream has yet to rise to the top. The interview will also have a high standard and they won't be settling for middling candidates, there is a lot of good gardai to be had down the line in the other batches and they know it. Batch one will get a hammering to get rid of the s***e that will be there. Then when needed batch two will be called and they two will get a hammering. End result- a set of good quality gardai. Don't trip up because we will be right behind you!

Getting high in the aptitude doesn't prove that you are who ags wants, load of scutter. The interview will be the deciding point weather you are who they want or not. Then you have to be fit enough and have good health. Aptitude only proves that you have a reasonable level of intelligence, the people in batch two are in no way lacking intelligence, the higher end results in batch two would have been top results in previous campaigns. The high number applying led to more top end results this time, but half of these people could be a far cry from a good garda. Don't be getting too ahead of yourself wilcoout the cream has yet to rise to the top. The interview will also have a high standard and they won't be settling for middling candidates, there is a lot of good gardai to be had down the line in the other batches and they know it. Batch one will get a hammering to get rid of the s***e that will be there. Then when needed batch two will be called and they two will get a hammering. End result- a set of good quality gardai. Don't trip up because we will be right behind you!

If its not who they want why did they bother with the whole process?

And even if i did trip up, your behind me for sure, but its for miles and miles

I wish batch 2 and 3 all the best but batch1 will be the gardai of the future 3years

If its not who they want why did they bother with the whole process?

And even if i did trip up, your behind me for sure, but its for miles and miles

I wish batch 2 and 3 all the best but batch1 will be the gardai of the future 3years

Wilco, we are still in the running, you could fail any stage yet as could a lot of band 1, until we are told otherwise we are still in the running .....

Wilco, we are still in the running, you could fail any stage yet as could a lot of band 1, until we are told otherwise we are still in the running .....

Smokescreen

• Advertisement

Smokescreen

It is wrong if doing well in one unsupervised exam leads to the best candidates.

They've just cut those who've passed in three.

There's no reason why somebody in band 2 or 3 wouldnt be just as good a Garda as someone in band 1.

Band 2 and 3 are just as good as band 1. The future tests will prove it.

We will be needed, we will be called, and we will be used. It's up to each individual to pass the test

We're right behind you band 1

Advertisement