Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The whole process is very off putting extremely technical.

I couldn't care less what people on this board think but us Reserves should have been selected if given approval from our unit Sergeant, Chief Super and a minimum of 2/3 years Reserve service and the beauty of it is you can see from a person doing the Reserve if they have the capacity to make a good Garda. I am not saying a Reserve should walk in, we should have just have to meet in house requirements should we want to go full time.

What annoys me more is PAS can't even have the decency to tell me I won't be going onto the next stage instead blast on about bands and we may be used. I would nearly say I am about 95% certain I won't even be contact by PAS again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

msg11 wrote: »
    The whole process is very off putting extremely technical.

I couldn't care less what people on this board think but us Reserves should have been selected if given approval from our unit Sergeant, Chief Super and a minimum of 2/3 years Reserve service and the beauty of it is you can see from a person doing the Reserve if they have the capacity to make a good Garda. I am not saying a Reserve should walk in, we should have just have to meet in house requirements should we want to go full time.

What annoys me more is PAS can't even have the decency to tell me I won't be going onto the next stage instead blast on about bands and we may be used. I would nearly say I am about 95% certain I won't even be contact by PAS again.
    Where did you place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

It is wrong if doing well in one unsupervised exam leads to the best candidates.

They've just cut those who've passed in three.

There's no reason why somebody in band 2 or 3 wouldnt be just as good a Garda as someone in band 1.

Band 2 and 3 are just as good as band 1. The future tests will prove it.

We will be needed, we will be called, and we will be used. It's up to each individual to pass the test

We're right behind you band 1

But theres another 2 tests ahead

And they have more than enough in 5000people to fill the college for the next 3years. You wont see massive numbers being culled.

Batch 1 is going to be around for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

WilcoOut wrote: »
    But theres another 2 tests ahead

And they have more than enough in 5000people to fill the college for the next 3years. You wont see massive numbers being culled.

Batch 1 is going to be around for a good while

Very sure of this aren't you, who knew they were going to cull at stage one so dramatically... Loads of twists and turns ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Lads WilcoOut is not saying batch 2 and 3 wont get in. hes saying it will be a few years before they get in as batch 1 has 5k people for 900 jobs over 3 years.

More than likely they are going to find 600-800 good people from that 5k. which means the next 2 or 3 years of guards are there.

batch 2 and 3 dont give up, you are in with a chance but dont hold your breath, it could be 2017 by the time you are called.

• Advertisement

mycro89 wrote: »
    Very sure of this aren't you, who knew they were going to cull at stage do dramatically... Loads of twists and turns ahead

Nope

just a straight road to templemore for the chosen few hundred from batch 1

Shifty13 wrote: »
    Lads WilcoOut is not saying batch 2 and 3 wont get in. hes saying it will be a few years before they get in as batch 1 has 5k people for 900 jobs over 3 years.

More than likely they are going to find 600-800 good people from that 5k. which means the next 2 or 3 years of guards are there.

batch 2 and 3 dont give up, you are in with a chance but dont hold your breath, it could be 2017 by the time you are called.

At that rate, wouldn't it be a new campaign all over again ??

At that rate, wouldn't it be a new campaign all over again ??

Massive chance

ask the previous panel members how much their batch was worth

Massive chance

ask the previous panel members how much their batch was worth

It's all probability, even for batch 1 ;)

It's all probability, even for batch 1 ;)

The odds are well and truelly in batch 1s favour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

O <
    that's the pair of ye... Going around and around in circles!! :D

We can all speculate but none of us know. IMO some of band 2 will be used, maybe this year buy probably next year and I'd say very few. As others have said, there are 5k through, I can't see them getting less than 300 from that.

They haven't handled it great with the bands but they obviously see some logic to it. They probably should be a little more open about what will actually happen to bands 2 and 3 and also what will happen to the different bands that progress from Stage 2

I have now joined the circle.... O ha :pac:

But its the O of love!

Welcome

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    O <
    that's the pair of ye... Going around and around in circles!! :D

We can all speculate but none of us know. IMO some of band 2 will be used, maybe this year buy probably next year and I'd say very few. As others have said, there are 5k through, I can't see them getting less than 300 from that.

They haven't handled it great with the bands but they obviously see some logic to it. They probably should be a little more open about what will actually happen to bands 2 and 3 and also what will happen to the different bands that progress from Stage 2

I have now joined the circle.... O ha :pac:

Exactly, should band 2 come into the question, could members of band 2 leap jump those in the new bands formed for stage 3, it's all a logistical nightmare if ye ask me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Nope

just a straight road to templemore for the chosen few hundred from batch 1

Best of luck hope you do really well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

The aptitude is about as good a way as possible to measure intelligence (en mass) but it is by no means perfect. As a reserve, i've worked with a garda that got inside the top 5 in the country the year he did the aptitude test. Having been out on duty with him several times, i've seen him make some very bad judgement calls that even I, a reserve, knew were stupid. Between unnecessary arrests and fostering bad relations with the public, he is a classic example of how even someone who can appear like a genius on paper can be a bit simple out on the streets.

One thing people forget about all these bands is that they were based on some very short exams with a limited number of questions (except the experiences questionnaire). If someone finished 3000th and someone else finished 6000th, it doesn't mean that the person who finished 3000th answered twice as many questions right as the one who finished 6000th. The number of questions on the 2 short tests were so small that a difference of 3000 places could simply be down to 1 or 2 questions more right per exam. In light of this, i highly doubt PAS will have bestowed such importance on band 1 to exclude bands 2 and 3 to cater solely for these "geniuses". The margin between mid-point in band 1 and mid-point in band 2 would have been so small that luck would have inevitably played a factor in deciding who finished where. As a result, i imagine PAS in knowing the full run down of the results between the bands would hold more respect and expectation for us as future quality guards than maybe we ourselves are doing on this forum. I for one know where i went wrong in stage 1. If i was to do it again tomorrow, i know i would easily finish inside band 1. I firmly beleive band 2 will be called, but unlikely to be this year.

Keep the heads up. You WILL be called.

Exactly, if they were only going to use band 1 then why the second aptitude, and don't tell me it's to sort them out into further bands there merit can be decided by there place after first aptitude. The second aptitude is only for one thing, that's to cull numbers down further which is what will happen.

BTW, has anyone here the link to the practice tests that band 1 are doing atm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    The aptitude is about as good a way as possible to measure intelligence (en mass) but it is by no means perfect. As a reserve, i've worked with a garda that got inside the top 5 in the country the year he did the aptitude test. Having been out on duty with him several times, i've seen him make some very bad judgement calls that even I, a reserve, knew were stupid. Between unnecessary arrests and fostering bad relations with the public, he is a classic example of how even someone who can appear like a genius on paper can be a bit simple out on the streets.

One thing people forget about all these bands is that they were based on some very short exams with a limited number of questions (except the experiences questionnaire). If someone finished 3000th and someone else finished 6000th, it doesn't mean that the person who finished 3000th answered twice as many questions right as the one who finished 6000th. The number of questions on the 2 short tests were so small that a difference of 3000 places could simply be down to 1 or 2 questions more right per exam. In light of this, i highly doubt PAS will have bestowed such importance on band 1 to exclude bands 2 and 3 to cater solely for these "geniuses". The margin between mid-point in band 1 and mid-point in band 2 would have been so small that luck would have inevitably played a factor in deciding who finished where. As a result, i imagine PAS in knowing the full run down of the results between the bands would hold more respect and expectation for us as future quality guards than maybe we ourselves are doing on this forum. I for one know where i went wrong in stage 1. If i was to do it again tomorrow, i know i would easily finish inside band 1. I firmly beleive band 2 will be called, but unlikely to be this year.

I think what you wrote there has been without doubt the most intelligent and the best summarisation of the current situation that I've read on this site.

You've summed it up perfectly

I think what you wrote there has been without doubt the most intelligent and the best summarisation of the current situation that I've read on this site.

You've summed it up perfectly

Indeed, it was an ideal summary of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

It's totally obvious those in band 1 have a far better chance of making it to templemore than those in bands 2 and 3. To think otherwise is madness.

If a lot of people in band 1 fail the next aptitude test then it is likely that more from band 2 will fail the same test. After all, those in band one have proved themselves to be better at aptitude tests.

Don't get me wrong, to get to band 2 is still a good achievement, they still did better than the majority of people who applied.
    I think those in band 2 have some hope(in years to come) but for those in band 3, it's a different story.

At the moment there are 5000 for around 400 to 600 jobs. It's likely they will find enough suitable people.

I suppose, just like the previous panel, people need hope...

• Advertisement

mfergus wrote: »
    It's totally obvious those in band 1 have a far better chance of making it to templemore than those in bands 2 and 3. To think otherwise is madness.

If a lot of people in band 1 fail the next aptitude test then it is likely that more from band 2 will fail the same test. After all, those in band one have proved themselves to be better at aptitude tests.

Don't get me wrong, to get to band 2 is still a good achievement, they still did better than the majority of people who applied.
    I think those in band 2 have some hope(in years to come) but for those in band 3, it's a different story.

At the moment there are 5000 for around 400 to 600 jobs. It's likely they will find enough suitable people.

I suppose, just like the previous panel, people need hope...

Well when you say hope, it all depends on the life span for the bands, also who knows if the bands will be drip fed into the system or not?

Well when you say hope, it all depends on the life span for the bands, also who knows if the bands will be drip fed into the system or not?

Nobody. Obviously I'm not saying what will happen. Just what I think is likely to happen.

Fanciful thinking

To be fair and reasonable to all, I think we will all know more in about two weeks time when the stage 2 results are out as to how many are progressing and how many will be dropped from band 1, based on that we would be able to predict the Liklihood of the other bands getting a look in at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

Exactly, should band 2 come into the question, could members of band 2 leap jump those in the new bands formed for stage 3, it's all a logistical nightmare if ye ask me....

That to me would seem crazy to think that a band 2 from stage one could leap jump those in band 2 from stage 2 or even band 3 from stage 2. A logical view would be that they will work with what is currently completing stage 2. If, for example, they rank stage 2 in bands of 2k, 2k and 1k ... or in just 2 bands to allow for failed tests, then stage 2 band 2 could find themselves in the same boat as the stage 1 bands 2&3 with the only difference being that they have a higher probability of getting a call up to the next stage. But the bottom line here is that it's all guess work. The reality is that all applicants should have a plan B to AGS because nothing is a guarantee, competition is stiff and life quite frankly just is not fair! Best of luck to everyone anyway ... it's not over for anyone until classes are filled or you're told so!

Just saw someone posted this online on another forum.....

The Deputies will be aware that the Public Appointments Service are managing this recruitment process for the Garda Commissioner and as such I have no direct involvement in the matter. I have however been informed that the first stages of the recruitment competition have now been completed. Candidates who have qualified through these have been placed in order of merit into three bands.

Those in Band one will be the first to be called to the next stages of the competition, which will also be run by PAS, and if ultimately successful will be placed on a panel for entry into training in the Garda College. A candidate who fails any stage of the process will be eliminated from the competition and will not be allowed re-enter this competition. Once all those on Band one have been tested, those on Band two and then Band three will be called to the second and subsequent stages and again, if ultimately successful, will also be placed on the panel.

The number progressing through any stages of the recruitment process is dependent on the success rate of the candidates in question and it is therefore not possible at this stage to know how many candidates from any Band will go forward to the interview stage.

I have made it clear on a number of occasions that it is my wish that Garda strength should remain at 13,000 and the number to be recruited will take that into account along with the rate of departures from the force in the coming years.

Did the justice minister say that, positive in my opinion, don't care if it's 2 years as long as we get a shot! :)

The Deputies will be aware that the Public Appointments Service are managing this recruitment process for the Garda Commissioner and as such I have no direct involvement in the matter. I have however been informed that the first stages of the recruitment competition have now been completed. Candidates who have qualified through these have been placed in order of merit into three bands.

Those in Band one will be the first to be called to the next stages of the competition, which will also be run by PAS, and if ultimately successful will be placed on a panel for entry into training in the Garda College. A candidate who fails any stage of the process will be eliminated from the competition and will not be allowed re-enter this competition. Once all those on Band one have been tested, those on Band two and then Band three will be called to the second and subsequent stages and again, if ultimately successful, will also be placed on the panel.

The number progressing through any stages of the recruitment process is dependent on the success rate of the candidates in question and it is therefore not possible at this stage to know how many candidates from any Band will go forward to the interview stage.

I have made it clear on a number of occasions that it is my wish that Garda strength should remain at 13,000 and the number to be recruited will take that into account along with the rate of departures from the force in the coming years.

Excellent news for all stage 1 successfuls! Was this from the minister? Im wondering how it will work logistically at the deciding stages; will band ones from stage one keep moving forward one step ahead of the posse and subsequently offered a place in the first and subsequent classes with the remaining of this batch and successful applicants from bands 2&3 of stage one following behind in their order of merit to form the panel ...

Murphster wrote: »
    Excellent news for all stage 1 successfuls! Was this from the minister? Im wondering how it will work logistically at the deciding stages; will band ones from stage one keep moving forward one step ahead of the posse and subsequently offered a place in the first and subsequent classes with the remaining of this batch and successful applicants from bands 2&3 of stage one following behind in their order of merit to form the panel ...

I'd imagine they will try make the panel from band 1, then if band one ends up exhausted they will begin on band 2 and so on...

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they will try make the panel from band 1, then if band one ends up exhausted they will begin on band 2 and so on...

Thats exactly it

but it will be a long time before 5000 in batch 1 will be exhausted

thats the point iv been trying to make - few years prob

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

Once all those on Band one have been tested, those on Band two and then Band three will be called to the second and subsequent stages and again, if ultimately successful, will also be placed on the panel. </quote>

Does this mean once band 1 have finished stage 2 and people move on and are eliminated, band 2 will go forward for stage 2 and that stage 1 will be always 1 step ahead?

Thats exactly it

but it will be a long time before 5000 in batch 1 will be exhausted

thats the point iv been trying to make - few years prob

I wouldn't say band 1 will have to be totally exhausted, please refer to what was said and this bit in particular

"Once all those on Band one have been tested, those on Band two and then Band three will be called to the second and subsequent stages and again, if ultimately successful, will also be placed on the panel"

They referred to THE PANEL and not a panel

;)

I wouldn't say band 1 will have to be totally exhausted, please refer to what was said and this bit in particulate

"Once all those on Band one have been tested, those on Band two and then Band three will be called to the second and subsequent stages and again, if ultimately successful, will also be placed on the panel"

They referred to THE PANEL and not a panel

;)

In saying that, one must assume that while bands 2&3 are moving through the stages that band 1's will also be moving ahead and ultimately at the top of the queue?? Its quite possible that a stage 1 band 2 or 3 could perform better in subsequent stages than a stage 1 band 1 .. but will that be relevant as that band 1 will already have progressed forward to the next stage? It's hardly going to be the case that all successful applicants will be placed on a panel an selected according to their order of merit? The panel will be formed once the places have already been filled for the current recruitment drive in waiting for the next call up ...

I think we all need to relax a bit. A little bit of patience is needed lads.

We're needed, we'll be called

My advice is to focus on improving your selfs for the interview

I think we all need to relax a bit. A little bit of patience is needed lads.

We're needed, we'll be called

My advice is to focus on improving your selfs for the interview

We'll just have to keep plugging away at life until our time comes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Everyone, even those in band 1, should move on and plan as if they're not going to get in, the numbers are against everyone! Think of it this way, out of the 5,000 people in band 1 only 300 are going to get in: That's only 6%! The numbers are tiny. Move on and plan otherwise and if you get it take it as a bonus. If you expand those numbers to include the other bands the numbers get silly. My advice for everyone in band 1 through 3 is to move on with your lives and if you ever get called for the next stage count it as a bonus. Otherwise you're leaving yourself open to serious disappointment.

This looks like band 2 could be called as early as the summer. All of band 1 will have been tested by then (exams, interview, medical and so on).

It also re-affirms that "A candidate who fails any stage of the process will be eliminated from the competition and will not be allowed re-enter this competition". This effectively means that some of those in band 1 (who are currently doing the 2nd set of exams) are now out of the process altogether (because some will fail the second set of exams) while we are still there.

This looks like band 2 could be called as early as the summer. All of band 1 will have been tested by then (exams, interview, medical and so on).

This is how rumours start

:D Just a thought.

It makes sense to me . Band 1 will have progressed through all the stages, and the people that fail stages will be eliminated.

25,000 people applied. 12,500 passed stage 1. If they continue to cut it by 50% then it will be as follows.

5000 progress to stage 2
    2500 progress to stage 3
    1250 get interviewed
    625 Progress to stage 5

Add in people failing fitness, medical, Garda vetting, in eligibility etc. and that's going to loose a % of people.

They'll get there 300 from band 1, and they'll get the rest from band 2 and 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It makes sense to me . Band 1 will have progressed through all the stages, and the people that fail stages will be eliminated.

25,000 people applied. 12,500 passed stage 1. If they continue to cut it by 50% then it will be as follows.

5000 progress to stage 2
    2500 progress to stage 3
    1250 get interviewed
    625 Progress to stage 5

Add in people failing fitness, medical, Garda vetting, in eligibility etc. and that's going to loose a % of people.

They'll get there 300 from band 1, and they'll get the rest from band 2 and 3

Wishful thinking methinks.

Rothmans wrote: »

Well think away. We all have our opinions. We don't have answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Well think away. We all have our opinions. We don't have answers

You're right there.

Rothmans wrote: »

Now now, we are all still in the race ;) actually wait we might not ☺️😜

Here is a link to what was said in relation to the bands

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-02-19a.410&s=garda+recruitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

So what he's saying is, if they get 300 from Band 1 Stage 1, no one else will be called this year. If they only get 250 they will dip into Band 2 Stage 1 and try to get the extra 50

If they get 900 from Band 1 Stage 1, there will be no need for any other band for the next 3 years (3 years of recruiting 300 AGS = 900)

Atleast that's my take on it, unfortunately it still leaves people in Band 2+3 Stage one and also subsequent bands, excluding Band 1, none the wiser really. No one in Band 2+3 know if they'll ever be called because it depends of they get all that's needed from Band 1...

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    So what he's saying is, if they get 300 from Band 1 Stage 1, no one else will be called this year. If they only get 250 they will dip into Band 2 Stage 1 and try to get the extra 50

If they get 900 from Band 1 Stage 1, there will be no need for any other band for the next 3 years (3 years of recruiting 300 AGS = 900)

Atleast that's my take on it, unfortunately it still leaves people in Band 2+3 Stage one and also subsequent bands, excluding Band 1, none the wiser really. No one in Band 2+3 know if they'll ever be called because it depends of they get all that's needed from Band 1...

Indeed nobody knows what will happen, numbers will drop dramatically yet, they already have, and within the above link it states, if you fail you fail, game over. A minimum will be needed to bring forward for various stages. We'll sit tight and see what happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

Those in band 2 and 3 will be used for this campaign of Gardai if needed. More than likely some of the 5,000 top scorers who made it to the second assessment won't sit the test for whatever reason. Those who have sat the second test but don't meet the criteria which An Garda Siochana set will be deemed as an unsuccessful candidate and removed from this recruitment drive, like it stated in the email. Band 2 and 3 will remain in the recruitment drive, however. This then leaves a number of spaces which need to be filled. Here is where the employer will start to work their way through band 2 and later band 3. As spaces WILL be open by those in band 1 being removed from the recruitment process, some candidates within band 2 will see a chance at making it to An Garda Siochana for this coming July.

Not a hope for this year mate !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

buckinit wrote: »
    Those in band 2 and 3 will be used for this campaign of Gardai if needed. More than likely some of the 5,000 top scorers who made it to the second assessment won't sit the test for whatever reason. Those who have sat the second test but don't meet the criteria which An Garda Siochana set will be deemed as an unsuccessful candidate and removed from this recruitment drive, like it stated in the email. Band 2 and 3 will remain in the recruitment drive, however. This then leaves a number of spaces which need to be filled. Here is where the employer will start to work their way through band 2 and later band 3. As spaces WILL be open by those in band 1 being removed from the recruitment process, some candidates within band 2 will see a chance at making it to An Garda Siochana for this coming July.

eh, doubt that. 300 places - 5,000 band 1, no way they don't get 300 from that regardless of persons being eliminated. I would wager that we won't see band 2 and 3 persons getting an opportunity until the subsequent campaign at the earliest. Only persons from bands 2 and 3 that will be in the first 300 recruited will be native Irish speakers is my bet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement