Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band 2 what do we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I think alot of people in band 1 are in for a little bit of a shock when they get their results in 2/3 weeks time :D. And then the big argument will start, that those in band 1 who failed should still be given priority over those in band 2 :rolleyes:.
    It's possible that some people will get a shock, but I doubt very many will fail. The pass rate was not that high in Stage 1. If the pass rate is high in Stage 2, and if alot of people do fail, then it will be worse for Band 2 and Band 3. In Stage 2, if they were going to fail a lot of people, the pass rate would have to be up at 70% or something like that. That wouldn't make any sense.

I think alot of people are confusing failing with not progressing to the next stage. If the pass rate was set at 50%, and for argument's sake if half of the 5,000 were to advance to Stage 3 then that would leave something like 2,450 or more still in the process, but that wouldn't mean that they failed the aptitude tests in Stage 2. In that case, only 50 would have failed the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

By "fail" i meant not progressed to the next stage.

In that case, there will still be people from Band 1 who will be ahead of others in Band 2 or Band 3. If people from Band 2 did get to do the Stage 2 tests, they'd most likely have to score higher than those who were left in Band 1 to progress to Stage 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ya, but they're still going to have to get through the new bands from the original band one before the get onto the original band two.

I can see the sense in having a band two/three. As we know, this drive is to supply the future trainees for at least the next three years. Three years is a long time, especially for those who don't particularly want a career in AGS but just want a job. Obviously, over that three years, many people are going to bale due to personal circumstances i.e. got their preferred job, emigrated, or just aren't interested anymore for whatever reason for example. This is why it obviously makes sense to have more than 5,000 people.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Ya, but they're still going to have to get through the new bands from the original band one before the get onto the original band two.

I can see the sense in having a band two/three. As we know, this drive is to supply the future trainees for at least the next three years. Three years is a long time, especially for those who don't particularly want a career in AGS but just want a job. Obviously, over that three years, many people are going to bale due to personal circumstances i.e. got their preferred job, emigrated, or just aren't interested anymore for whatever reason for example. This is why it obviously makes sense to have more than 5,000 people.
    Yeah, that's all true. Makes sense. What I'm still trying to wrap my head around is that after Stage 1 we have a Band 1, Band 2, and Band 3. After Stage 2 are we going to have 3 new bands in Band 1 called Band 1A, Band 1B and Band 1C. It's possible. Band 1A would be those that progress to Stage 3. I know it's a bit silly, but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Rothmans wrote: »

Yes. And medicals only have a certain lifespan. It's not like you could form the whole panel now by the summer and still be putting these people into Templemore in 2 and a half years time. The medicals would have to be re-done. It makes sense to keep large numbers back from the process for the time being in these bands 2 and 3. They'd have to be re-doing medicals again for loads of people otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's all true. Makes sense. What I'm still trying to wrap my head around is that after Stage 1 we have a Band 1, Band 2, and Band 3. After Stage 2 are we going to have 3 new bands in Band 1 called Band 1A, Band 1B and Band 1C. It's possible. Band 1A would be those that progress to Stage 3. I know it's a bit silly, but it's possible.

Why is that silly? That's pretty much my take on it. There may be a Stage 2 Band 1 2,000, band 2 1,000 and band 3 1,000 and 1,000 dropped altogether. Band 1 being assessed first. All in my opinion of course

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Why is that silly? That's pretty much my take on it. There may be a Stage 2 Band 1 2,000, band 2 1,000 and band 3 1,000 and 1,000 dropped altogether. Band 1 being assessed first. All in my opinion of course
    The reason that I thought it might be silly, is that if that happens and Band 1 are broken up into 3 sections, those going through to Stage 3, and either 1 or 2 sections that are essentially stuck in limbo. Then in that case people in Band 2 and Band 3 would have alot more groups ahead of them. At the moment, Band 2 think they're next in line. They may find out in mid March, that they're 3rd or 4th in line.

This got very confusing very fast :D

This got very confusing very fast :D
    Yeah, I know but essentially, that's what I think that's what will happen. I think you'll have either 2 or 3 new tiers in Band 1 after the Stage 2 tests. And I think there will still be a good few ahead of Band 2 and Band 3 this time around, but not over the course of 3 years. Over the course of 3 years people in Band 1 might drop out for various reasons, personal choices or circumstances, emigration, fail medical or physical so Band 2 will get more of an opportunity as time goes by. It's just that a few posters were confusing "failing" with being eliminated from the process. I think there will be lots in Band 1 who will pass but not progress to Stage 3 this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Yes. And medicals only have a certain lifespan. It's not like you could form the whole panel now by the summer and still be putting these people into Templemore in 2 and a half years time. The medicals would have to be re-done. It makes sense to keep large numbers back from the process for the time being in these bands 2 and 3. They'd have to be re-doing medicals again for loads of people otherwise.

True, I also think it is possible that this campaign might be used for longer than 3 years because we won't have done anything that can expire. If it is a case that the first panel didn't get exhausted as quickly as they thought and they still have a lot of band 2 left who have a reasonably high scoring aptitude they might use them for a fourth year. No sence in scrapping it. All about saving money to them.

thekopend wrote: »
    True, I also think it is possible that this campaign might be used for longer than 3 years because we won't have done anything that can expire. If it is a case that the first panel didn't get exhausted as quickly as they thought and they still have a lot of band 2 left who have a reasonably high scoring aptitude they might use them for a fourth year. No sence in scrapping it. All about saving money to them.
    Who does the medicals. Do you have to go to Templemore, or do you have to get one done by your GP, or is there one GP in every county that takes care of them. I'm guessing Templemore. Also, do they take bloods, urine samples etc, or is it just a quick once over

It's pretty thorough and it's usually done in phonix park in garda hq as far as I know

It's pretty thorough and it's usually done in phonix park in garda hq as far as I know
    I'll just have to stay on the motorway til I hit the capital. Wishful thinking but sure may as well be optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

This thread keeps going around and around in circles.

Your head is going to explode If you try and understand the logic behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

So are people saying the bands from stage 1 can forget about it??? All very confusing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

mycro89 wrote: »
    So are people saying the bands from stage 1 can forget about it??? All very confusing :(

Cant put it any more simply than this.............NOBODY KNOWS OR WILL KNOW FOR AT LEAST A FEW WEEKS OR MONTHS!!!

As said in previous post this thread is constantly going round in circles with people questioning anything that they don't want to hear.

kev-bt wrote: »
    Cant put it any more simply than this.............NOBODY KNOWS OR WILL KNOW FOR AT LEAST A FEW WEEKS OR MONTHS!!!

As said in previous post this thread is constantly going round in circles with people questioning anything that they don't want to hear.

Is this not a place for people to discuss things with each other? Support each other etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Is this not a place for people to discuss things with each other? Support each other etc etc

It is but I think that, when nobody knows whats happening, there is only so far the conversation can go before it becomes repetitive. It stops being helpful then & just drives people mad & starts arguments!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Yes it is but you continually ask questions that you know nobody has answers for and if somebody says anything negative about band 2 then you dismiss it completely.....I said before I feel bad for you stuck in limbo at the moment but second guessing everything here isn't going to help.

Sorry all, I am failure!! :(

I'm in band 2. No new information has been released with regards to band 2 or 3.

Band 1 will be getting there results from stage 2 soon.

There's nothing new anyone can say because it's all just going to be rumours, hearsay and people arguing over there opinions.

I think band 2 will get called eventually, but I'm not going to argue with anyone over it.

Every time I come on this it's just going around and around with the same things being said over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I'm in band one myself, but just to post for those that may have missed it, Shatter said the 3 bands will be tested:

Those in Band one will be the first to be called to the next stages of the competition, which will also be run by PAS, and if ultimately successful will be placed on a panel for entry into training in the Garda College. A candidate who fails any stage of the process will be eliminated from the competition and will not be allowed re-enter this competition. Once all those on Band one have been tested, those on Band two and then Band three will be called to the second and subsequent stages and again, if ultimately successful, will also be placed on the panel.

Once the result of stage 2 come out we'll get a better indication for the other bands long term

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

lukesmom wrote: »
    Oh no! I'm completely fluent in Irish but I didn't tick it because I didn't want to get posted to a Gaeltacht in middle of nowhere :(

Just saw this thread today and this post has really caught my eye.
    Lukesmom, I hope you have contacted PAS and told them you meant to tick the fluency in Irish stream but overlooked it!?!
    From your other posts, I see that you placed very high in band 2. I'd say if you contact them about Irish they would definitely call you to stage 2.

• Advertisement

http://youtu.be/3kxOBrJQxS4

To cheer us all up, let's all sing along

Did anyone get a call up? Heard the Irish stream is still on going!! They surely know the outcome of band 1 by now!!

Did anyone get a call up? Heard the Irish stream is still on going!! They surely know the outcome of band 1 by now!!

Don't hold your breath it's going to be ages, beter off to forget about it for now

Don't hold your breath it's going to be ages, beter off to forget about it for now

Sorry, I meant through the Irish stream, heard more were notified yesterday that they were progressing and doing the tests Monday ??

Sorry, I meant through the Irish stream, heard more were notified yesterday that they were progressing and doing the tests Monday ??

Ya them emails were a mistake, it's all done now there just waiting for the results

• Advertisement

Ya them emails were a mistake, it's all done now there just waiting for the results

Not too sure about that, I believe the tests are still on going!!

As far as I know, the tests finished today at noon for those Irish speakers in Band 2 and Band 3. I don't think there are any more doing the Stage 2 tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

No they said on the Irish Stream thread that they got another email to say the precious email was an error. The tests for the Irish stream finished at noon today so all the tests are done. Now we wait :)

I think we could get the results the week starting the 10th of March. That would give them a full week to work out the results and so on. I suppose, it could be next week sometime too but my money would be on the week beginning 10th March.

Why do you believe that?

The Irish stream had the same time as us, just a week later. Tuesday 12 till Friday 12

Why do you believe that?

The Irish stream had the same time as us, just a week later. Tuesday 12 till Friday 12

For I was told someone got an email yesterday and they are doing it between Monday and Tuesday ??

This could be the email that was sent in error as stated earlier ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Padraigog

A mate of mine, who is a native Irish Speaker and actually loves the language didn't tick the Irish Stream option because he wanted to be based in the city. He regrets not ticking it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Padraigog wrote: »
    A mate of mine, who is a native Irish Speaker and actually loves the language didn't tick the Irish Stream option because he wanted to be based in the city. He regrets not ticking it now!

We'll did he get into band 1? If not that's a bummer

I think he should ring up PAS, plead complete ignorance, and ask why didn't he receive the email on 13/02 asking if he still wanted to proceed with Gárda Trainee with Fluency in Irish". He should tell them that he ticked that option, and that his friends have told him about the email that he should have received. It's worth a shot sure. PAS may allow him to roll in with the Irish Stream that way.

Bit late now lads, if he had done that early in the testing window maybe but there not going to open it up again for the sake of one person

• Advertisement

Bit late now lads, if he had done that early in the testing window maybe but there not going to open it up again for the sake of one person
    You're probably right, bit late but sure it's worth a shot anyway now, especially if he didn't get into Band 1, you wouldn't begrudge him an opportunity to move forward.

No got into Band 2! Yeah I think he phoned them earlier on and they said no can do! So, for those in Band 1 who ticked it, does that mean they get 2 shots at the aptitude test?

No got into Band 2! Yeah I think he phoned them earlier on and they said no can do! So, for those in Band 1 who ticked it, does that mean they get 2 shots at the aptitude test?
    Nope, just one shot. I did mine last week with the rest of the people in Band 1. It was only Irish speakers in Band 2 and Band 3 that did Stage 2 tests this week.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Nope, just one shot. I did mine last week with the rest of the people in Band 1. It was only Irish speakers in Band 2 and Band 3 that did Stage 2 tests this week.

But I thought it said somewhere that the two were separate and it wouldn't affect your chances in the English stream?

But I thought it said somewhere that the two were separate and it wouldn't affect your chances in the English stream?
    That's if you didn't want to proceed with the Irish Stream, you could have just gone ahead with the English stream on its own, but I reckon that if you're an Irish speaker you have a better chance overall with the Irish stream. Afterall, they obviously didn't have enough Irish speakers in the 5,000 from Band 1. They had to dip into Band 2 and Band 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

Yes, as far as I know test are finished as of now.

Next up, the big cut of candidates. Remember folks, 300 out of 5,000 is just 6%!

buckinit wrote: »
    Yes, as far as I know test are finished as of now.

Next up, the big cut of candidates. Remember folks, 300 out of 5,000 is just 6%!

This cull will be huge again. There's going to be a lot of unhappy people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tod1577

Its not 5000 for 300 jobs,its to form a panel for the next 3 years.

tod1577 wrote: »
    Its not 5000 for 300 jobs,its to form a panel for the next 3 years.

Yes, but those in bands 2 and 3 are technically still in the running as well for the next three years, they will be culling shur, obvisiouly if people don't meet the requirements they will be eliminated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tod1577

Everybody is still in the running but nobody knows how many will be cut from stage 2,there might be a lot or there could also be very little,everybody is just guessing lets just wait and see and take it one stage at a time. No point saying they are going to cut 4000 nobody knows and people get their hopes up. If its meant to be it will happen.

Advertisement