Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weather notices

• 12-02-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

I want to go home!
    To the Campus Community,

Currently we are experiencing extremely stormy conditions on the campus.

Please refrain from leaving the buildings until the storm conditions moderate.

Regards,

Philip Thornton
    Please be advised that the Main Avenue (Flagpoles Entrance) is closed for traffic from all directions due to the stormy conditions.

Please stay indoors until conditions improve.

Hi Postgrads,

Due to the extreme weather conditions we are currently having, please try your best to remain indoors until the conditions have improved. The EGM this evening is postponed and we will have it again at a later date.

Stay safe everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Apparently Klmurry and Elm Park routes are also closed.

I wonder if this means it's ok for us to not brave this to do our presentations in a class at 4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The road by the lodge is blocked to everything due to a fallen tree. Some poor guy had it fall on his car. Although by the time I arrived he was out and waiting in someone else car.
    Elm Park has a massive tree blocking all traffic, pedestrians can still get by.
    The walkway into Briarfield near the Hurlers is blocked due to a tree falling.

Lots of smaller trees and debris little the unblocked roads.
    UL is stopping all traffic from entering, was turned away.

From what I heard the roof in Lidi was blown in.

The orange status wind warning was upped to a status red and it is in effect until 6 tonight (at time of writing)

Health Science building lost power earlier too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Feck I have to get home to Clare! God, I suppose if worst comes to worst I can stay with my brother on campus. I presume the buses are not coming into UL either. I'd optimistic about it calming before 6. It's calming already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

City buses arent running until further notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Weird, I didn't even know there was a PSU EGM tonight!

Classes cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Time to go home lads!
    To the Campus Community,

In the interests of health and safety staff and students are advised to leave the campus when it is safe to do so.

The Vice President Academic & Registrar has cancelled all classes and night classes that were scheduled for the remainder of the day.

Please expect delays when exiting the campus this evening as there may be debris on the roads. Be aware of falling objects or sudden gusts.

Please follow the direction of the Security Staff.

Regards,

Philip Thornton

And make it quick, a new status red weather warning has been issued.

Everywhere is UL is closing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Was the library evacuated or is that just a rumour?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=739897959356336&set=vb.113798148632990&type=2&theater

Some of the footage from the city there. Heard sirens as well in Castletroy.

I know CSIS was evacuated due to a fire alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

there's a few of us in the red raisins and the post grad room, not sure whether to head home or bunker down for the time being.

Head home just in case it picks up later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

It was mental today. The library was evacuated alright I think. When I was last down there they were putting signs up saying it was closed due to H&S concerns. At the time they were leaving people in to collect their belongings.

The cleared out the main area of the foundation building too, beneath the glass roof, they were worries it was going to get lifted off. Being honest it sound very structurally sound at times.
    Chimaera wrote: »
    Weird, I didn't even know there was a PSU EGM tonight!

I know Lily has included it in all the e-mails to postgrads this semester - and it has been on the facebook page as well I am fairly certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 mbreen2

Library was evacuated alright at 4pm approx. just for people's safety. Hope to open as normal in morning.
    Reiver wrote: »
    Was the library evacuated or is that just a rumour?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=739897959356336&set=vb.113798148632990&type=2&theater

Some of the footage from the city there. Heard sirens as well in Castletroy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

The library was evacuated and had to head to my brother's house as all the buildings were closed and the buses weren't being let in the university. Finally got back to Clare when they were up and running, kind of hairy on the motorway could feel the wind swaying the bus and kept seeing ambulances and firetrucks on the motorway! Was so glad to be home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I love how the mother rang me in a panic to see if I was alright. Apparently there's meant to be another storm on Friday. Hopefully if college is going to be cancelled they do so well in advance. I know a few people who had braved the storm only to find out when they got to college that everything was cancelled for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

Do people reckon college will be open for business tommorow? Not sure what the roads and stuff looked like after I got out!

I could hear chainsaws buzzing from about 17:00 so I'd guess the place will be cleared up pretty quickly. If there's no serious damage I'd imagine they'll be open.

• Advertisement

I know Lily has included it in all the e-mails to postgrads this semester - and it has been on the facebook page as well I am fairly certain.

I wonder if she's only sending stuff out to the taught postgrads? I've never received any email from the PSU. Anyway, this is probably not the thread for this discussion.

Kilmurry is still blocked by that huge tree that fell yesterday but you can go through Elm Park now. White Gates are working away as normal (minus some traffic lights) and I'm not sure about the flagpole entrance. Lots of the paths are still covered in trees on that side.

College is up and running and all we have is a status yellow snow and ice. I guess I should head in

Wind and rain are starting again, on and off. Can see a lot of people not risking coming down in case they get stuck here like yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Got a warning from campus life for tomorrow

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXj1GrLntlUeT2FUcgShGpmLh70rd8W-jtuJ8PTeJDFKPGLobL1Q

All yellow on the MET.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Any updates for today? The wind has picked up a bit already

Tbh it's absolutely fine here. I'm not sure what the weather is saying but it's fine on campus. There was a bad bit of rain there a while back and it's a bit windy now, but nothing out of the ordinary

Advertisement