Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removed Skirting from Newly Plastered Walls!!!

Options
  • 12-02-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

A delayed decision regarding flooring has resulted in me having to remove original skirting boards from recently plastered walls so that we can achieve a nice finish when laying laminate flooring! The outcome of this is that I have damaged the new plaster around the foot of the walls just above the the skirting line in 4 rooms.

The damage is only slight albeit it has ruined the finished walls, at worst maybe an inch in height of plaster has come off the wall in some areas however for me a quality finish is essential so im not convinced, as suggested to me, that simply buying tall skirting and covering over the damage is the best way forward?!

I want to re apply new skirting, once the laminate floor is down, that matches the dimesnsion of the skirting that has been removed previously.

What is the best way to tackle this? Do we get the plasterer back out to skim and patch up the affected areas only or should we ask him to plaster down to the floor edge (all carpets have been removed), and if we should plaster down to the floor edge is this a bigger job than simply skimming over the damage and will we achieve the same smooth finish to that of the walls above?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

He should have plastered right down to the floor at the start. I'm afraid you've made an amateur mistake by letting him stay a few inches off the floor. I'd say you may get him back to patch/fill the gaps but I'd say he'll look for money or you won't get him back. Best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 awmasson

He wasn't able to plaster to the floor first time around because the skirting was still on at the time.

Happy to pay for correction but what's best, plaster to floor or just a skim over damaged areas?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Post a general pic please

Advertisement