Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo art as opposed to tattoo iconography.

Options
  • 12-02-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am looking for some tattoo artists in Ireland that produce original tattoo art or more unique styles as opposed the more common styles. Something similar to geometric tattoos or watercolours yet even more original. Price is not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Well lots of artists will produce original work and they'll work in various styles. What do you consider a common style? I assume you mean old school but it's hard to tell.

Really any recommendation depends on what you actually want. For example if you would be happy with Japanese style then you could go to Chris Crooks, who is one of the best in the world for that style.

I'm having trouble with this because I would work off an idea and then choose an artist and style based on what I what.

Shot in the dark
    Dave Barry - Celtic/geometric - https://www.facebook.com/david.barry.3386?fref=ts

Rob Mulligan - Watercolours/seems willing to mix up styles
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.515225888524880.1073741828.147865475260925&type=3

Ian Flynn - Again seems comfortable with lots of styles and has been churning out great work for the last while
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ian-Flynn-JMDs-Body-Art/229342073783020?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jimjim420

Orim wrote: »
    Well lots of artists will produce original work and they'll work in various styles. What do you consider a common style? I assume you mean old school but it's hard to tell.

Really any recommendation depends on what you actually want. For example if you would be happy with Japanese style then you could go to Chris Crooks, who is one of the best in the world for that style.

I'm having trouble with this because I would work off an idea and then choose an artist and style based on what I what.

Shot in the dark
    Dave Barry - Celtic/geometric - https://www.facebook.com/david.barry.3386?fref=ts

Rob Mulligan - Watercolours/seems willing to mix up styles
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.515225888524880.1073741828.147865475260925&type=3

Ian Flynn - Again seems comfortable with lots of styles and has been churning out great work for the last while
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ian-Flynn-JMDs-Body-Art/229342073783020?fref=ts

What I mean basically is that if I found someone with a unique or particular style that I really admired I would let them create their own piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jimjim420 wrote: »
    What I mean basically is that if I found someone with a unique or particular style that I really admired I would let them create their own piece.

There are plenty if you look around would you be adverse to leaving Ireland? But a lot of artist in Ireland are capable of doing various styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I suppose Chris Crookes has sort of done his own thing with his dedication to his 'neo-traditional Japanese' stuff. Maybe you'll get a better response if you give some indication as to what you prefer. Eg. Buena Vista tattoo, Bugsartwork, Peter Aurisch, Xoil, Mikael de poissy, all those trash polka artists.

Keep in mind that a lot of tattoos look like tattoos because characteristics such as fat lines are widely considered important in the ageing process. There's a lot of debate over the longevity of these new heavily photoshopped and hyper-realistic styles. Dunno if it's important to you, but worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am looking for some tattoo artists in Ireland that produce original tattoo art or more unique styles as opposed the more common styles. Something similar to geometric tattoos or watercolours yet even more original. Price is not an option.

?

Never get tattooed based on originality for the sake of it. A) you will fail and B) things can always become more common. Do not labor under the false belief it will stay original.

• Advertisement

fewtins wrote: »
    I suppose Chris Crookes has sort of done his own thing with his dedication to his 'neo-traditional Japanese' stuff. Maybe you'll get a better response if you give some indication as to what you prefer. Eg. Buena Vista tattoo, Bugsartwork, Peter Aurisch, Xoil, Mikael de poissy, all those trash polka artists.

Keep in mind that a lot of tattoos look like tattoos because characteristics such as fat lines are widely considered important in the ageing process. There's a lot of debate over the longevity of these new heavily photoshopped and hyper-realistic styles. Dunno if it's important to you, but worth keeping in mind.

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head for me. It is these styles I was really trying to get at. Xoil and Peter Aurisch. Any concrete information with longevity of these tattoos?

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head for me. It is these styles I was really trying to get at. Xoil and Peter Aurisch. Any concrete information with longevity of these tattoos?

Do you have a piece in mind? You seem to be looking for someone different without really knowing what your looking for, there are lots of artists these days doing very unique pieces in there own style.

There has been lots of debate on it including on here, but I have yet to see anyone prove it.

Most of the hate seems to come from those that prefer old school or artists who want to but haven't got it in there locker to do it from what I've seen.

Do you have a piece in mind? You seem to be looking for someone different without really knowing what your looking for, there are lots of artists these days doing very unique pieces in there own style.

There has been lots of debate on it including on here, but I have yet to see anyone prove it.

Most of the hate seems to come from those that prefer old school or artists who want to but haven't got it in there locker to do it from what I've seen.

I am looking to get either a side piece or sleeve done which incorporates a space theme. A big bang, milky way sky, our sun, that fractals into life of earth, DNA, plant/tree and then a man silhouette peering up.

I am looking to get either a side piece or sleeve done which incorporates a space theme. A big bang, milky way sky, our sun, that fractals into life of earth, DNA, plant/tree and then a man silhouette peering up.

Sound like a cool idea and I've no idea how they will work it but then again there styles are really unique and my imagination isn't that good :o.

Another artist you could look at is Jacob Pedersen seems to have a real varied portfolio but does touch on the kind of work you seem to have in mind as well an artist I'm a big fan of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Any concrete information with longevity of these tattoos?

I couldn't link you to anything I'm afraid, as Marty says a lot of the hate seems to come from a particular group of artists. It's an argument that'll probably go around and around on tattoo forums forever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement