Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Training Certificate

Options
  • 12-02-2014 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Hope someone may be able to enlighten me. My son recently applied for a training licence on one of my shotguns. He was granted it for 3 years per the Grant letter. When the licence came in the post today the expiry date says 31/10/2015. I would have thought the expiry date would be Feb 2017.

The expiry date for that shotgun is 31/10/15 for my own licence??

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

His licence is only valid if your one is too. If your licence expires so does his.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Blay said his license can only last as long as your one. As he needs you to be present whenever he uses it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Thanks blay. Does that mean he will have to pay another 40 euro in Oct 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

270WIN wrote: »
    Thanks blay. Does that mean he will have to pay another 40 euro in Oct 2015?

Yeah he will unfortunately.

What age will he be then? If he turns 16 before then get him to get the full license. Might as well pay the €80 and be able to use it himself.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Cass wrote: »
    What age will he be then? If he turns 16 before then get him to get the full license. Might as well pay the €80 and be able to use it himself.

Ya i suppose, its just that i had another shotgun and i just got the licence renewed on it recently and i could have put him on that.
    He is 16 in Apr 2015 so he could apply for a full licence then.
    The grant notice he got said the training licence was valid for 3 years so i thought it would last that long.

The thing is as the training license only allows him to be licensed on a gun you are on, and to use it under your supervision once you are "unlicensed" he can no longer use it. So if you let your license lapse, and he had his training license what they think is there is the "option" for abuse of the training cert.

Well if i'm not mistaken you can do a substitution from the gun he is on to the other gun, and as such the training cert will last for the length of the license on that gun. However when he turns 16 he'll most likely want his own gun, or at least the unsupervised usage of your gun. So the training cert would only last until he turned 16 anyway. At which point he'd want to go for his full license.

The training cert is a great method to get younger people involved in shooting. It also works for anyone over 16 too.People think it is solely for under 16's. However as the minimum age for a training cert is 14 and the minimum age for a full license is 16 i often wonder how many people actually let a trainging license run the full term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

If his training lisence is for 3 years is it not as simple as you renewing your license and his still been valid and he will just need a new license issued

No.

Once the license is issued with an expiry date that's it. That is when the license expires. It does not get renewed for another 18-20 months to make it the full 3 years.

Advertisement