Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptopsdirect.co.uk issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FocusFord

As mentioned above, according to the eu directive 99/44/ec, "The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which arises within a period of two years from delivery". So the fault doesn't have to have existed from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Nemeses wrote: »
    "may provide" Being the operative word here.

Then we shall need some links or reference then so to help the OP out.
    I'll give you an example:
    http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/
    Remedies

EU rules which protect consumers when buying goods and services are valid no matter where in the EU the goods are purchased and are enforceable for at least 2 years from delivery of the goods. In Ireland, there is limitation period of 6 years within which a consumer can bring an action against a trader for ‘the lack of conformity’. For example, if you order a laptop which turns out to have less memory than it is supposed to have, the problem may not be obvious to you immediately, but it is still an inherent fault in the product which the trader must remedy if you discover it within the limitation period.

Para 17 of 99/44/EC says a consumer must have at least 2 years to exercise their rights, Irish law (Statute of Limitations) allows up to 6 years.

The UK has similar law. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

There we go.

Bear in mind, If that hard drive has failed. It can fall under Wear & Tear instead of defective since day 1.

But with the post that slimjim has posted..See how far you can go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FocusFord

Just to update, I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement hard drive as I can replace it myself and would rather not wait forever for a response from laptopsdirect uk.
    I haven't received a reply from the managing director yet but it will be interesting to see what he says.

Would there be anyway I could claim back the cost of the new hard drive ?

Advertisement