Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit from Dog Warden.

• 12-02-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

We had a visit from the dog warden today. He claimed that they had recieved a complaint that our dogs had attacked and bitten someone. The dogs description did not match our dogs. And as our dogs can not get out of our garden I am pretty sure that our dogs did not commit this crime. He wasn't sure when the attrack was, and didn't know who had made the claim. When I suggested to the warden that he came out to the garden and see for himself that the garden was dog proof and that our dogs did not match the description of the accused dogs, he declined saying he trusted us. He then asked if we had licences for our dogs which we don't. He kindly gave us ten days to get licences, which I was relieved about.

So he left leaving us puzzled and confused. Why would a someone report us like this? But being 100% sure that the attack wasn't by our dogs we relaxed and only having to sort out the licences , we forgot the whole thing.

Until I started to think about the whole visit. It didn't add up. The accused dogs didn't match ours, and He took our word for it! Surely it was his job to investigate the matter. And a dog attack is surely a serious offence.

So was the visit genuine or just a ploy to get us to buy licences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Son0vagun wrote: »

More like a lazy dog warden not investigating a complaint properly.

Doesn't sound like a ploy to get people to pay a license. My estate was blitzed last year by the warden. I had all my licenses paid for over the last 11 years. I asked about the rest of the estate and the warden told me nearly everyone didn't have one. And they were given a opportunity to get one without being fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'd say there was a complaint about dogs in the area and because you had dogs you were quizzed - then the licence question is sure to follow.

I met the dog warden some years ago whilst out walking the dogs - he said a few pleasantaries and then said 'Are those dogs covered' I said 'they're grand' it only occured to me later he meant did they have licences - which they didn't. Infact I only started getting licences a couple of years ago and I'm late with their current ones -

Some neighbours are bound to send the warden down the road again soon - nearly every home has dogs - I know one neighbour who didn't appreciate their neighbour having seven dogs - eventhough these dogs were all secure on their property. And I live rural so neighbours are feilds away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd be rather suspicious he knew exactly who made the complaint and the full details but wouldn't share with you to protect the identty of the person who lodged the complaint. He hardly picked your house at random. I'd be looking at requesting officially what information they hold on me via data protection act as his actions don't add up.

(Leave it a few days to ensure then warden's report from today is logged)
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2d.htm&CatID=17&m=r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Are you 100% sure he was the dog warden and not someone claiming to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Grayfoxy

This might seem farfetched, but I would keep an eye on the dogs and your back garden (where I am presuming they are)

I sound paranoid, but I have good reason to be, did he show you his ID? (you can request, and they must show you), if not, it is possible it was someone claiming to be, it is not uncommon for people to do this so they can see what dogs you have and see your garden so they can come back at a later date and steal them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Grayfoxy wrote: »
    This might seem farfetched, but I would keep an eye on the dogs and your back garden (where I am presuming they are)

I sound paranoid, but I have good reason to be, did he show you his ID? (you can request, and they must show you), if not, it is possible it was someone claiming to be, it is not uncommon for people to do this so they can see what dogs you have and see your garden so they can come back at a later date and steal them.

You know this was my first thought too, thought it was just me and my suspicious mistrusting mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

No he was the real deal. He had ID and came in a County Council Van.

I just found it very suspicious that he had no details of incident, dog subscription was wrong, he didn't check our dogs and he trusted us that our garden was dog proof. Thought such allegations would be treated more seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Am I not right in saying the Warden will never give the name of the person that made the complaint? It is to stop you from approaching the person directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

That I can understand. But he didn't have any dates and couldn't tell us when the alleged incident happened.

I live in a quiet rural area and I've never seen dogs matching the description the warden gave!

logik wrote: »
    Am I not right in saying the Warden will never give the name of the person that made the complaint? It is to stop you from approaching the person directly.

Yes

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »

It actually does sound like it is a ploy to get licenses as i know a company that use a tact remarkably similar.

There is no accusation made, he managed to gather information from you through misdirection and you got licenses out of it.

I have not heard this tact being used for dog wardens but i have heard of it and have actually trained people to use it for other types of license investigations in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

logik wrote: »
    No, I made a complaint to the dog warden about a neighbours dog, he told them, a very near neighbour made the complaint while nodding in the direction of my house.

aujopimur wrote: »
    No, I made a complaint to the dog warden about a neighbours dog, he told them, a very near neighbour made the complaint while nodding in the direction of my house.

They are not supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

It actually does sound like it is a ploy to get licenses as i know a company that use a tact remarkably similar.

There is no accusation made, he managed to gather information from you through misdirection and you got licenses out of it.

I have not heard this tact being used for dog wardens but i have heard of it and have actually trained people to use it for other types of license investigations in the past.
    Why would a dog warden need a ploy to engage with someone over licence?

How did you find out this is what they did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

By my own observation and what the neighbour said to me.

By my own observation and what the neighbour said to me.
    At least your still on speaking terms with your neighbour.

time lord wrote: »
    Why would a dog warden need a ploy to engage with someone over licence?

could be anything from having targets to hit or to the fact a neighbor made a complaint and they dont see a license on file. So he would have to police that

What he did was not actually non intrusive be it a little confusing, but no allegation was made. They can then go back to the person who complained and say everything is above board.

I would say its the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ShaneSheep555

Pretzill wrote: »
    I'd say there was a complaint about dogs in the area and because you had dogs you were quizzed - then the licence question is sure to follow.

I met the dog warden some years ago whilst out walking the dogs - he said a few pleasantaries and then said 'Are those dogs covered' I said 'they're grand' it only occured to me later he meant did they have licences - which they didn't. Infact I only started getting licences a couple of years ago and I'm late with their current ones -

Some neighbours are bound to send the warden down the road again soon - nearly every home has dogs - I know one neighbour who didn't appreciate their neighbour having seven dogs - eventhough these dogs were all secure on their property. And I live rural so neighbours are feilds away!

Yep I agree with Pretzill!
    This very same incident happened me about 2/3 months ago. I personally think they are just out to get people to purchase licenses. Then again maybe they were just quizzing all the dog owners in your area!

I'm sure your quiet relieved that you didn't get a fine haha :)

I would imagine that if a complaint was made about a dog biting a person, it's the Gardai that would come and confiscate the dog. They might be accompanied by a dog warden, but I very much doubt that a dog warden would act alone in that case.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that if a complaint was made about a dog biting a person, it's the Gardai that would come and confiscate the dog. They might be accompanied by a dog warden, but I very much doubt that a dog warden would act alone in that case.
    It's a civil matter believe it or not and not a Garda matter. Upon receipt of a court order, then you often see a Garda and warden together to collect the dog. The Gardaí or local authority will not be in a position to take the case, the injured party must take a civil action.

Advertisement