Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFN and Bank account Australia

Options
  • 12-02-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

anyone that has previousley gon to Australia for a year on a WHV, have ye got yere TFN and bank account when ye went over, as in got help of the likes of USIT and them. or is it easier do it when you get there??.. I just dont want to be a month without a TFN and bank account

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

You can setup your bank account with some of the Australian banks while still in Ireland yourself. There is no need to pay somebody to do it for you. The account will be setup before you arrive and you will be able to transfer money in from Irish bank but no withdrawals allowed.
    Before you depart contact bank and arrange date with them to complete activation in a branch. They will ask for passport, activate your account and hand over your cards, setup 24hr banking etc. Some of the banks are Commonwealth Bank of Australia, ANZ and Westpac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

You cannot get a TFN outside of australia. Once you get there you apply online through the tax office and they post it out, just make sure you have an address to send it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You need to provide an address for a TFN but it usually comes in an email as well so if you are moving from place to place you still get your TFN regardless of where you are. You may not have the piece of paper they send you, but you do have the number. Thats all the employer needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Just to add to that, they generally don't email the number from mine (and others') experiences- post only. You need a postal address for it to be received at, but if you know anyone here you can get it sent to them- therefore applying before arriving.

Generally, it's fine. Just on a sidenote, however, I applied for myself and my girlfriend- and whilst she received hers in 5 or 6 working days (was processed the morning after applying)- they messed up mine. Bearing in mind both applications were identical and put through within about ten minutes of each other.

Before querying your application with them they insist you wait the standard 28 days processing time. I was forced to do this- and once the four weeks had passed I was told the application was lost and I had to reapply (as if it were my first application). I did this, and started to get nervous again as two weeks had passed (the the 2nd application) and still nothing. They, again, insisted I wait the remaining 14 days. Visiting the office after this was useless (told me I can only call as had been doing, and generally unwilling to help).

Luckily I got it a few days after. I've heard of others having issues- and a few long-term expats/Aussies have since said that the TFN part of the ATO is a joke and needs a serious shake-up.

I just had bad luck anyway sure. But if anyone is visiting friends etc. I'd advise applying in advance based on my experience. Chances are it'll come through straight away- but it's no harm to do this just in case.

Regarding the bank account- I applied online (Commonwealth- has most ATMs etc) and the account was open (to deposits only) in 3 days. Once you arrive they allow you show up at any branch and get everything sorted (debit card(s), internet banking, savings acc. if you want it, etc.).

Anyway, I hope that ramble is of some use to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

so where do i go to get the TFN when i get there? if im staying in a hostel do i get it posted to there? so youd recomend going to common wealth bank ya??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A friends brother used my address for his TFN. It arrived in the post for him and I'd said we'd forward it on to wherever he was staying, or at his request open it and email him through the number. In the end it was emailed to him and wasn't a big deal.

You apply for your TFN online. I'm with Commonwealth here and they are pretty good. Opt for a bigger bank that has more ATM's nationwide. Using an ATM not affiliated with your bank costs about $2.50. You can use your card to withdraw cash at supermarkets etc when you buy something at no extra cost too.

Apply for your TFN here

Thats perfect thanks, by any chance do you know if i should do regional work first or what should i do or any suggestions where to do it so id meet other backpackers?

I'd echo the above- couldn't have put it better myself.

Regarding meeting people- I'm not here long and I knew people coming- but obviously this happens naturally. For those travelling alone, generally people meet in a hostel- and through house-sharing etc. Also through jobs. Genuinely, I couldn't tell you whether to do your regional work first or not. Most don't I don't think, and there's no need to once you leave long enough for it (i.e. 3 months is needed or 88 days or so, so don't start it ten months after arriving).

I was in a couple but those travelling alone always meet people easily from what I understand- just be open-minded, outgoing, and be yourself and enjoy it.

Ya i get ya thanks, the reason i was going to do it first was so id have aplan going over there, instead of going to one of the bigger citys and doing a hostel and then finding work, i think if i did the regional first, id meet people and hopefully after my 88 days they would like to move on to somewhere else aswel. Its hard to know if some websites are legit or not

I'm not sure- you could be right, I honestly don't know. Sounds reasonable to me, but I'm sure there's someone on here better equipped to advise you on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Ya i get ya thanks, the reason i was going to do it first was so id have aplan going over there, instead of going to one of the bigger citys and doing a hostel and then finding work, i think if i did the regional first, id meet people and hopefully after my 88 days they would like to move on to somewhere else aswel. Its hard to know if some websites are legit or not

You will meet new people all the time and these people will come and go so don't be planning anything around other people because most people will have their own plans..

If you're worried about travelling alone watch a documentary called 'A map for Saturday'

It's a awesome documentary, it was on youtube but it's taken down but you will find it online somewhere.

top madra wrote: »
    You will meet new people all the time and these people will come and go so don't be planning anything around other people because most people will have their own plans..

If you're worried about travelling alone watch a documentary called 'A map for Saturday'

It's a awesome documentary, it was on youtube but it's taken down but you will find it online somewhere.

Ah cool thanks, ill have a look at the doc and hopefully it will help . Thanks

Advertisement