Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish research council server crash

Options
  • 12-02-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello, I don't really understand software and programming etc.so please bear with me while I try to explain.

Heavy traffic on the final day to submit the IRC postgraduate scholarship online application form resulted in the server crashing multiple times during the day (indicated by a page stating 'smart simple, we are sorry the server is temporarily unavailable'). After much waiting (over three hours) for the server to reestablish itself for a decent enough period of time to fill in the lengthy form (mainly by using copy/paste from a word doc. as there are over 13 sections and circa 3000 words in all).

After you fill out a section you must press save at the bottom of the page and then move to the next section.

Basically I updated two of my sub-sections, pressed saved more than once (obsessive about this) and submitted the whole application before the server crashed again.

Now the problem. I looked at the resulting PDF and see that that particular section did not update and contains an older version of text I that unfortunately contains spelling errors...I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this and quickly emailed to explain and sen on a version I intended. I hoped that it was a system error (server crash) and therefore the error would be amended for me. I also thought this reasonable.

I eventually got some replies from the IRC. Basically I cannot change the error because I was using an unsupported browser (Safari 6.0) as specified on the guide for applicants.

"Before you start - ensure you are using the correct browser. The OLS can only be guaranteed to be fully operational on Internet Explorer (version 7 or higher), FireFox (last two most recent versions), or Google Chrome (last two most recent versions) only."

Yes this is my bad. I did read this but use safari and did not experience ANY problems filling in the sections/form and saving it, logging in, etc., in the week before the deadline. So I didn't give it much more thought.

Here is the final email I received from the IRC:

"it is not uncommon for applicants that are using browsers which are not supported by the Council to have issues which is why we include a warning on both the log in page and in the Guide for Applicants (on page 12 and specifically step 1 of the applicant checklist on page 51).

As the difficulties which you experienced in this case were a user issue (i.e. browsers use) and not a system issue, we are unable to provide assistance for those in this situation."

They are very nice really and I feel I must be very annoying after all of the emails but I feel deep down that this happened because of the server. I was told over the phone that the issue was fully investigated but the company/personnel managing the server stated that my issue arose due to using an unsupported browser. I was told that if I had been using the correct browser the change could be made to my application.

Here I some details on the server and company:

Powered by: PleskLin
    Web Server: nginx
    Encoding: utf-8

http://urlm.co.uk/www.irchss.ie#server_two

Can anyone offer advice on this? Was it likely to be my browser that somehow started working incorrectly at the last minute as the site continued to crash?

Did the site crash for everyone? Or just me because I was using the wrong browser? It only started crashing 3 hours before the 4 pm deadline- so much so they gave an extra 24 hours to applicants (I missed this email because I was fixated on getting my form filled between crash periods).

I feel wretched. Is it a lost cause fighting this? I'm hoping that I can reason my way out of this situation. Who do you go to to get advice about this. IRC MIGHT reconsider if I can show it was a system failure.

Thank you for your insight in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

The problem could feasibly be either due to the server being under very heavy load or the fact that an unsupported browser was used. Since they gave everyone an extra 24 hours it is fairly certain that everyone else was experiencing the same problem accessing the site as yourself.

To be honest it sounds like they've made up their mind on whether or not they will help you any further.

If I was forced to guess I'd say the server being under heavy load was the ultimate cause of the issue. But since you in essence "voided your warranty" by using an unsupported browser I don't think you have any option but to put up with their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bablatrice

Thank you for your reply. I think there is no way IRC are going to budge on their decision (although I still harbor a small kernel of hope).

I have one question after reading your post. Are server providers able determine clearly whether or not it was a user error (browser failure) or a system failure (server crash), as the lady I spoke two told me the that their server provider was able to determine that this was definitely what happened.
    Are we that sophisticated? Do errors arising from my browser type/failure actually get logged somewhere? Or was it inferred somehow? I feel as though this isn't possible- I mean my browser can't be monitored remotely can it??

For further info on last years performance:

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2013/04/03/irish-research-council-funding-applications-in-chaos/

P.S. I didn't know I was "voiding my warranty" as the statement "Before you start - ensure you are using the correct browser. The OLS can only be guaranteed to be fully operational on Internet Explorer (version 7 or higher), FireFox (last two most recent versions), or Google Chrome (last two most recent versions) only." read like a recommendation to me at the time. I think it should be explicitly stated that no support will be given to ameliorate issues arising if the correct browser is not used.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

It is not clear from your post what the lady said definitely happened, a server crash or a fault in the browser.

In any case, actions that occur within the browser are not logged on the server. Though actions performed in the browser that result in communications with the server can be logged. There is numerous types of logs on the server, these logs may or may not contain sufficient information to diagnose the root cause of the problem. A fault in the browser could have been logged on the server if the browser detected the fault and made the server aware of it. I doubt this is the case though. I would be somewhat skeptical of the server providers ability to declare what definitely happened, especially on a case by case basis.

On reading the link it seems like the IRC are not committed to providing a stable and usable service.

Also when I said you voided your warranty I was just using it as a turn of phrase. What I meant was you did something wrong and therefore gave the IRC the ability to shift all blame onto you regardless if it was your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bablatrice

Sorry, I see I didn't make this clear in the original post - trying to contain my saga to a 'comprehensive' post.

That the fault lay with me and my browser- and not their system error- was ascertained over the phone by a IRC advisor whom as far as I know was advised by the server provider (BTW IRC granted my request to speak with someone in person as email correspondence gave out no details (specific mechanisms) whatsoever despite repeat requests).

Oh I'm such an angry little scientist right now. I just wish the IRC had a softer heart. You only get two changes PER LIFETIME to apply for this Irish government funding (that is also open to international applicants), ad competition is therefore very high- hence all the fervent mutterings.

Advertisement