Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching can I leave old bank Acc open

Options
  • 12-02-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi Im switching from AIB to PTSB next week and just wanted to know if I could keep my old AIB open till everything gets sorted,you know they way stuff goes missing for a while?:rolleyes:Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

You can use the switching service and leave account open. You've two choices when switching, switch and close or switch and leave open. By using the switching service you've the benefit of most DD's being switched for you. If you choose to switch and leave open your balance will not switch across and you'll have to do that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Yes, you can tell PTSB to open an account for you but you can look after all the switching yourself. Once PTSB have opened the new account and given you access to open24 online and issued you a debit/ATM card, your new account is ready to go.

I would recommend putting some money into the PTSB account and then contacting anyone you currently have a DD set up with and changing your DD details with them. That way you have complete control of when the DD's will move. It is very straight forward the majority of utility providers will allow you to change DD details over the phone. The last time I switched current accounts it took me around 45 minutes to change all 6 of the DD's that are set up on my account.

Then once you are sure the DD's have moved correctly and you can see that money is coming out of your new PTSB account, you can then contact AIB and ask them to close your old account, cancel all DD's on it and transfer any remaining balance to your PTSB account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thank u I'll do that so.Your all very helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement