Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather 2014

Options
  • 12-02-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Lambs due in 2 weeks. Ewes have to swim to the feeding troughs
    My image of lambs jumping on around on nice green grass in the spring sunshine is fading to something more like buying more fn silage and dragging ewes and lambs in and out of sheds.

I'm still counting my blessings that they haven't lambed yet but could. Do with a dry spell starting now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Lambs due in 2 weeks. Ewes have to swim to the feeding troughs
    My image of lambs jumping on around on nice green grass in the spring sunshine is fading to something more like buying more fn silage and dragging ewes and lambs in and out of sheds.

I'm still counting my blessings that they haven't lambed yet but could. Do with a dry spell starting now!

Yep start feeding ewes this weekend no idea how going to get into one farm to feed them with a snacker, buying quad looking possible again.....

Lost more or less all slates of out house today too. Best was fella working for rang to say lost a ring feeder, said how you lose a ring feeder? 'It blew out over the f'ing ditch' was the answer classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

A decent week will improve things a lot, whether we get it or not.......

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnsey

Cran wrote: »
    Yep start feeding ewes this weekend no idea how going to get into one farm to feed them with a snacker, buying quad looking possible again.....

Lost more or less all slates of out house today too. Best was fella working for rang to say lost a ring feeder, said how you lose a ring feeder? 'It blew out over the f'ing ditch' was the answer classic

Do you just drop the meal on the ground with the snacker? Would there be a lot of waste in this weather with ground probably waterlogged and rain pi&&ing down on it as well ? Just wondering because I've to start feeding next week and don't enjoy getting knocked down at the troughs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Johnsey wrote: »
    Do you just drop the meal on the ground with the snacker? Would there be a lot of waste in this weather with ground probably waterlogged and rain pi&&ing down on it as well ? Just wondering because I've to start feeding next week and don't enjoy getting knocked down at the troughs

Ye bought a new snacker, have feed previously on the ground find very little lost. When you compare the hassle and I find madness of the ewes at troughs its a lot handier. Being honest my land is very flat and dry enough, its getting in to fields at the moment thats the issue with the 4x4.
    Last year I considered buying a farm buggy rather than using the jeep because it got so wet - first time ever. Never thought I be considering it again so soon. Think this year may bite the bullet and buy one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

really pi$$ed off here to day

heavy storm damage yesterday and found lambs killed under a huge ash tree that fell yesterday

they were under the trunk and hadn't a chance 2 ewes were trapped in the branches and pinned to the ground but were ok when we freed them

going to be days of work removing fallen trees and repairing fences , have spend the morning securing cladding that came loose

sry didn't mean to hijack but seriously thinking of giving up early lambing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Cran wrote: »
    Ye bought a new snacker, have feed previously on the ground find very little lost. When you compare the hassle and I find madness of the ewes at troughs its a lot handier. Being honest my land is very flat and dry enough, its getting in to fields at the moment thats the issue with the 4x4.
    Last year I considered buying a farm buggy rather than using the jeep because it got so wet - first time ever. Never thought I be considering it again so soon. Think this year may bite the bullet and buy one....

Hard to mind the ewes that go between the jeep and the snacker, I bought a quad when I caught a ewe underneath ..... have heavy land here, I find a lot of waste in wet weather, works really well in dry cold weather like last april/may. Quads are cold yokes !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

jt65 wrote: »
    really pi$$ed off here to day

heavy storm damage yesterday and found lambs killed under a huge ash tree that fell yesterday

they were under the trunk and hadn't a chance 2 ewes were trapped in the branches and pinned to the ground but were ok when we freed them

going to be days of work removing fallen trees and repairing fences , have spend the morning securing cladding that came loose

sry didn't mean to hijack but seriously thinking of giving up early lambing

It's a tough one but at least it was outside the back door. Look u may just get back on the saddle and keep going. These things happen in cycles. U never know what will happen later in the year.

Advertisement