Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird Screen Flicker

• 12-02-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey Guys,

So out of nowhere my laptop screen started behaving really weird. I posted a video so you guys can see it rather than me trying to explain. The laptop is a DELL inspiron M5040.

http://youtu.be/Cb--pjgoNR0

Thanks,
    Pawel G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

video don't work

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Alanthora

It should work now, I changed it so it's a direct link

• Registered Users Posts: 32 entangled

I'd say it's a hardware issue since it's happening before Windows has even started properly. I presume it continues
    after the laptop boots up?

Same thing happened to my last laptop. Didn't get any better or worse over time really. Eventually got a new one.

Yeah, nothing changes when it boots up. I'd say it get's even worse because of all the other colours on the screen

If it appeared at startup, did you install any software or make any hardware changes since last shutdown?

What are the laptop specs?

Do you have a Monitor that you could connect to the laptop. This might rule out the laptop screen as being faulty/damaged.

• Advertisement

So I just connected it to an external monitor and there was no problem over there.

No hardware changes and no software changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Had to replace a screen on an M5040 last week which had the same problem. They're pretty cheap (and easy )to replace yourself at ~€50.

Alanthora wrote: »
    So I just connected it to an external monitor and there was no problem over there.

If there's no flickering on the external monitor, then the LCD display is at fault.

Is it still under warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

johndoe99 wrote: »
    If there's no flickering on the external monitor, then the LCD display is at fault.

Is it still under warranty?

Or the connection between the motherboard and the screen or the inverter.

GarIT wrote: »
    Or the connection between the motherboard and the screen or the inverter.

That's what I'm afraid of, I mean replacing a screen won't be a problem. I've done those before. But is there any way I could rule out any of the other components mentioned above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Alanthora wrote: »
    That's what I'm afraid of, I mean replacing a screen won't be a problem. I've done those before. But is there any way I could rule out any of the other components mentioned above?

Trying another screen is the only way to know for sure. You could open is up and look for visible signs of damage but most damage isn't visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

You could try wiggling the screen connection cable to the motherboard to see if it makes any difference to the display, but chances are it's the screen that needs replacing.

I'm no expert in this case, but to me it seems like a connection problem rather than the LCD problem. It's really bugging me because it looks like something you see from a badly connected cable or something.
    I don't have a problem buying a new screen, but I hoped to be sure it's the actual screen. I'll have to risk it I guess.

I'll open it up tomorrow and see if maybe there is a loose cable or something. I'll try moving the cables to see if anything changes. If not, I'll just order a new screen.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement