Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

The reason that Tubs went up 27K is they now start him at 8.45 - he gets that last 1/4 in his ratings
    It still means on paper that he had little of no increase - it's a trick to build share and headlines.
    Breakfast Republic have taken the show to 100k listeners, this is the worst & lowest figure in the history of 2FM breakfast.

The reason is simple, they are shockingly bad. The show is atrocious.

Then Dan Healy comes out with a line like ' We don't have a middle aged man on breakfast' which was a pop at Ian Dempsey.
    Healy, the head of 2fm has gave no reason for things going so bad so he childishly swipes at Dempsey to
    cushion his failings.

The mess gets messier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The reason that Tubs went up 27K is they now start him at 8.45 - he gets that last 1/4 in his ratings
    It still means on paper that he had little of no increase - it's a trick to build share and headlines.
    Breakfast Republic have taken the show to 100k listeners, this is the worst & lowest figure in the history of 2FM breakfast.

The reason is simple, they are shockingly bad. The show is atrocious.

Then Dan Healy comes out with a line like ' We don't have a middle aged man on breakfast' which was a pop at Ian Dempsey.
    Healy, the head of 2fm has gave no reason for things going so bad so he childishly swipes at Dempsey to
    cushion his failings.

The mess gets messier.

And they have had about 3 weeks holidays since the show has started. All 3 taken them at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've ended up hearing about 20 minutes of Breakfast Republic most mornings (herself prefers music radio to talk radio on drive to work, and I can't stand Ian Dempsey) and it's poor fair. Not absolutely atrocious, but not something I would listen to either. The jokes seem forced and very rehearsed, and the humour has a tendency to be a little off.

The lad who covered for them last week or the week before though (think he usually does the evening show) was great though, like a breath of fresh air coming through the place.

Surely having him on his own would end up being better than paying the 3 eejits. Wonder what their plan is for Jennifer Maguire's maternity too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

2fm should be simply closed down. It's disgraceful that such a station has been propped up by 11.5 million of tax payers money since 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

dulpit wrote: »
    Wonder what their plan is for Jennifer Maguire's maternity too?

Hopefully she takes early retirement. But she seems to be RTE's face of all things "funny" at the minute so no doubt they'll make a program that documents the struggles of a working mother or some ****e like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hopefully she takes early retirement. But she seems to be RTE's face of all things "funny" at the minute so no doubt they'll make a program that documents the struggles of a working mother or some ****e like that.
    if i was a betting man, i would put my house on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Or Miah Dunphy could fill in... Heaven forbid :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Although it has gone up in the recent Jnlr, it still has less listeners than Hector's worst book. Is it doing better in Dublin than Hector tho ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Not sure how it's doing on the JNLRs but the show is growing on me....

The music is a bit 'modern' for me but I think that Bernard and Joe have grown into the roll and are more relaxed now instead of pushing the humour.

Even Jennifer has grown on me - although still a bit too smutty. I like risque, but she's a bit too smutty.

What I would say is that shows do need time to bed in and be allowed some breathing space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Not sure how it's doing on the JNLRs but the show is growing on me....

The music is a bit 'modern' for me but I think that Bernard and Joe have grown into the roll and are more relaxed now instead of pushing the humour.

Even Jennifer has grown on me - although still a bit too smutty. I like risque, but she's a bit too smutty.

What I would say is that shows do need time to bed in and be allowed some breathing space.

It's Keith not joe.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's Keith not joe.

Thanks for the correction...

"Keith... not Joe" is how I'll refer to him from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I agree the show is much more bearable now than I used find it, I think Bernard isn't acting as stupid as before and I much prefer the humour now as a result.

Agreed with the previous poster about Jennifer tho, they were even joking at how Jennifer heavy the show becomes from 8ish onwards and its around this time I usually change the channel. It just gets a bit shrill and annoying with the constantly trying to get the very very last word in but I realise they are all at that!

Is it still on air? This show has run its course. Time for another revamp to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

bbability wrote: »
    Is it still on air? This show has run its course. Time for another revamp to survive.

Judging by his numbers the biggest mistake they made was ever letting Dempsey go.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I agree the show is much more bearable now than I used find it, I think Bernard isn't acting as stupid as before and I much prefer the humour now as a result.
    !

I think that's what has improved it. He's better at comedy than acting the eejit.

As for Ian Dempsey, BBability, each to their own... personally I find him too bland / vanilla... there's no edge to the show and it always seems to me to be too promotion focussed - as in, they're always promoting some product or another.

2fm just doesn't have the same appeal or bite it used to have. It mattered a few years ago when Rick and Ruth were pulled after a few months. It doesn't seem to matter that its not pulling in the listeners anymore or providing a public service. 2fm is a bit like Irish Water. We need it but we don't want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

bbability wrote: »
    2fm just doesn't have the same appeal or bite it used to have. It mattered a few years ago when Rick and Ruth were pulled after a few months. It doesn't seem to matter that its not pulling in the listeners anymore or providing a public service. 2fm is a bit like Irish Water. We need it but we don't want it.
    No ones going to die of thirst without 2FM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

GSF wrote: »
    No ones going to die of thirst without 2FM!

Ah, who else is going to employ Lottie Ryan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

lottie ryan haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

The show is grand. Jennifer is mildly annoying, which seems to be her main persona, so actually she's quite good at it.
    The two lads are good, Bernard is hot and cold and Keith is the obvious straight man.
    Two parts are poor, the bit with Lottie Ryan. Does she think people don't know she just got a load of info from the internet about the 'stars'?
    Lastly.....how many model turn fitness / health guru are they required to have on the show each week? In fairness there is no shortage of them but come on....!!

Listening this week a bit more as I'm just tired of the political talk on rte1 and newstalk at the moment.

I'm a bit suprised at the content of the show, considering all the texts read out from families with young children on the school run that it's so heavy with not so subtle double entendres (clearly being written during the news/sport).

Not a big deal I know, just not sure if I was driving a 6 year old to school or whatever If I could deal with references to 'holes being filled' and 'comming out' at that time of the morning. Al Porter level stuff!
    I agree with that previous point about Dempsey on today fm and all the promos but sometimes if un not in the mood to have to think too much on the drive to work it's easy listening!
    Aidan Power is on iradio now in the morning's too and its probably the show that gets left on the most in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

i'm actually enjoying breakfast republic a lot more now, the humour is more natural and less forced unlike a lot of other breakfast shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'm carpooling these days and being subjected to this absolute rubbish. I listen to Ian Dempsey (hector this week) and this is absolute garbage compared to him. I've as good as switched off 2fm and listening to this shoite is compounding that decision. Jennifer is a disgrace to broadcasting, rude jokes and basically shouting into the Mike does not a good show make.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

I'm carpooling these days and being subjected to this absolute rubbish. I listen to Ian Dempsey (hector this week) and this is absolute garbage compared to him. I've as good as switched off 2fm and listening to this shoite is compounding that decision. Jennifer is a disgrace to broadcasting, rude jokes and basically shouting into the Mike does not a good show make.

It's enough to make someone take the bus, but doesn't say much for your carpolling driver that puts this on!! Maguire has absolutely no talent and you are 100% spot on.. I have no idea how their TV programme managed to get an IFTA award either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

It gets worse, as I see lately that the horse manure that they call a TV show with O Shea ( another unfunny person),is going to be now on the UK Gold channel ................... God help us!!

• Advertisement

hector, the definition of a buffoon good lord, whats happening to broadcasting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carlowmanken

Painfull listening! But not as bad as "Kildare today" on KFM!

Caledonman wrote: »
    It's enough to make someone take the bus, but doesn't say much for your carpolling driver that puts this on!! Maguire has absolutely no talent and you are 100% spot on.. I have no idea how their TV programme managed to get an IFTA award either!

I feel sorry for the Keith chap who seems to be stuck trying to control 2 complete spanners while at the same time trying to decide if he should go down to their level! Don't do it man!

Total S£$TE..END OF..........

in the interest of fairness, i had to listen to hector fill in for ian dempsey this week and he is way worse than these guys, i know thats not really much of a benchmark saying your better than hector but still...

• Advertisement

jezzer wrote: »
    in the interest of fairness, i had to listen to hector fill in for ian dempsey this week and he is way worse than these guys, i know thats not really much of a benchmark saying your better than hector but still...

I thought he held his own to be fair. He was a damn sight better than 2fm's offering!

I thought he held his own to be fair. He was a damn sight better than 2fm's offering!

ah i dont know, giftgrubs assessment of him this morning was pretty apt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

jezzer wrote: »
    ah i dont know, giftgrubs assessment of him this morning was pretty apt!!

Hector gets a fierce harsh touch on here. Is it a city vs country thing or what? I think he's grand and a million times better than those wagons on Breakfast Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

To give Hector credit, I found him very listenable this week. I don't think I could put up with his schitck every morning, but overall he was good this week. Grand background listening between 7:00 and 8:00 while I get ready and head out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I agree. I detested Hector's old breakfast show, where he seemed to have everything turned up to 11 all the time. And his ultra-bogman schtick annoys me. But I find him ok at the moment - in smallish doses. Has he calmed down a bit or have I mellowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

PieOhMy wrote:
    I'm a bit suprised at the content of the show, considering all the texts read out from families with young children on the school run that it's so heavy with not so subtle double entendres (clearly being written during the news/sport).

I listen to the show now having moved away from Newstalk and am surprised at this also, if you listen though it's all Jen. Every second comment is laced with innuendo, I feel like I'm in school. I like the lads though, they work well together.

I listen to the show now having moved away from Newstalk and am surprised at this also, if you listen though it's all Jen. Every second comment is laced with innuendo, I feel like I'm in school. I like the lads though, they work well together.

Would agree with you there...

It's at a stage now that it's totally over the top innuendo. This morning she found it very funny to mention the surname of the Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte, as some sort of double entendre and in my opinion pronouncing his surname while dropping the last 'e' is quite out of bounds while I have my kids listening in the car.

Of course she gets away with it as presumably nobody in RTE actually listens to the show.

Do you think the 2 lads are just cringing while she talks? (Ok maybe only Keith is)

Another morning and I'm being subjected to this rubbish. I really do think if Jennifer was removed, the quality of the show would improve tenfold. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when my carpooling buddy switched to spin. It's a sad state of affairs when inanne banter and shoutouts to kids on their way to secondary school is preferable to the breakfast show on our national broadcaster.

I think the problem is that she is trying to compete with the lads in the comedy stakes.

Hard to do if you're not quick witted but easy to try to do if you can use a double entendre as big as a banana in someone's pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

It's at a stage now that it's totally over the top innuendo. This morning she found it very funny to mention the surname of the Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte, as some sort of double entendre and in my opinion pronouncing his surname while dropping the last 'e' is quite out of bounds while I have my kids listening in the car.

Of course she gets away with it as presumably nobody in RTE actually listens to the show.

Do you think the 2 lads are just cringing while she talks? (Ok maybe only Keith is)

I do actually think they are cringing when she starts, Keith definitely is and I am. That whole bit about Conte was awful. She was off yesterday and the show was much better. I really do agree that if they took her out of the equation the show would improve big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Let's face it, Jennifer maguire is gonna be with rte till she's Marian finucanes age because that's the way it is.
    She's got a horrible persona in everything she does and I can't see how she has a career in the public eye, but she's in rte now so let's just accept she'll be there forever!

Agreed sadly, unless they take her in america, I recall her bragging about auditions she was doing over there.
    In fairness she's defiantly clever, she has businesses and managed to brass neck her way into the rte set. It's nearly like she's trying to get sacked or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dxman105

I'm not a regular 2FM listener, I don't know who was doing the breakfast show before this republic show but my god! This show is awful, too much unfunny banter not enough music. The music perhaps has improved lately - more current hits. Not a fan of the much trumpeted jingle package either. No sung jingles just annoying voices

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

Dan Healy is in massive trouble. What do you do when your shows are all dropping massive chunks of audience. This show has bombed, even with a 4 hour reach.
    The reason is pretty simple. It's utter junk uncomfortable and cringe.

McQuire is painful and Bernard is just awkward and unfunny, Keith sound's like he wants to jump out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

This show should be put out of its misery sooner rather than later. It hasn't worked since Day One and kills the rest of the day on 2FM stone dead. Hitman Healy needs to wave the cheque book at someone like Dermot & Dave, established pros with (seemingly) decent taste in music despite the Today FM playlist being dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

They already tried that with the strawberry boys and it didn't turn out to well

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

If Dan Healy is looking at Dermot and Dave he should take a look at their numbers while he's at it. Louise Duffy had 123,000 listeners when she moved from lunchtimes in 2014. Dermot and Dave have never improved on that figure and have been consistently losing audience since mid-2015. They now have 113,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Would Dermot and dave save 2FM though ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

reg114 wrote: »
    Would Dermot and dave save 2FM though ?

Doubt it.

Colm and JimJim were supposed to save 2FM and look how that little venture went!

Advertisement