Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i listened for a week and gave up when bernard did a 10min bit about pissing his pants in school....East coast radio since then.
    I seem to have settled on NOVA...the breakfast presenters are like normal people, that have the craic!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

involved in a production company

jezzer wrote: »
    involved in a production company
    involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I seem to have settled on NOVA...the breakfast presenters are like normal people, that have the craic!!

Why does breakfast radio have to be people 'having the craic'??? Ugh...

dulpit wrote: »
    apologies for not articulating myself well .....it's just two nice people playing tunes in a friendly manner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Exactly. Too many stations feel the need to have multiple people involved in shows now. Why not just 1 capable dj and have a good show instead of wrecking everyone's head with "banter"

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

Haven't listened in for a few weeks now, but popped it on again this morning to see how things were. Its gotten worse if thats even possible. It was really bad this morning. I can't even remember now what the drivel they were going on about was. It was some skit, that totally flopped.

They repeated the comment again about not being here by a date in September that was mentioned.

Eventually I flicked over to Ray Foley. Show seems way more professional even though I'm not completely sure the content is any better. I'll give it a go for another while anyway.

Exactly. Too many stations feel the need to have multiple people involved in shows now. Why not just 1 capable dj and have a good show instead of wrecking everyone's head with "banter"
    i think 2fm have killed off the idea!!

i take it the boss has set himself to be fired if this backfires after what he said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Having such a car crash on in the morning surely must be doing harm to every other show during the day. If Tubs sees his figures slump any lower action will have to be taken.

how is tubbers doing? another show i couldnt bare to listen to

• Advertisement

how is tubbers doing? another show i couldnt bare to listen to
    decreasing since he started and using the "gerry was god" line to defend it.

how is he still there so??

because the best damn broadcaster in the world and if they don't keep him he'd go somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

He is the best thing on 2fm right now bar none. I actually enjoy him far more on the radio than on the LLS. Think he is a natural fit for radio. Its his interviewing skills that really let him down on TV. But left to his own ramblings he's quite interesting and I always enjoy his show.

wouldnt it be terrible if he got inflicted on the uk, and michael d doing so much for anglo irish relations this week.....

i would agree that he is better on the radio than on tv, he basically has no interviewing skills which is a bit like a surgeon not knowing how to perform surgery, he is best in small doses which is why he was best on the 1 hour slot on radio 1

He is the best thing on 2fm right now bar none. I actually enjoy him far more on the radio than on the LLS. Think he is a natural fit for radio. Its his interviewing skills that really let him down on TV. But left to his own ramblings he's quite interesting and I always enjoy his show.
    ah no....when dave fanning covers for him the show is much better, but he has found his place...minus 200000 listeners of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I know someone very reliable that I can ask about the axing or otherwise of the show. I'll be back.....

I know someone very reliable that I can ask about the axing or otherwise of the show. I'll be back.....
    popcorn time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

It's too early in the morning for zany times :o

It's too early in the morning for zany times :o
    from experience and in the context of RTE "Zany" means...."What RTE think is down with the kids right now"

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Had a listen today in the car for the first time in a few weeks and as someone said above, it's worse. None of them doing themselves any favours at all, and at one point after some insult about Robbie Williams from Jennifer, Keith seemed to just give up. You could hear the frustration in his voice. Don't get me started on Bernard and his hilarious stories about himself. It's abysmal. Hector and Damien Farrelly together would have been better than this crap.

So far the only thing Healy has green-lighted that works is Nicky Byrne and Jenny's show. It towers over Rick O'Shea's show which sounds stale and tired now, and Cormac's hilarious stories about himself really are a turn off. Don't get me started on the Man Yoo toff that follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bythesea87

Have read through this thread and here are my two cents (echoing some of what's been said before):

- 2fm doesn't know who their target audience is and the lack of clear strategy gives that away. Are they going for the vague "younger" group; what's younger? 16-24, 16-34, 25-34?!

- despite them doing a big shake up, still not one woman leads a show, national broadcaster stuck in the dark ages.

- why don't they grow new raw talent? The way other stations do (BBC?). Give them a graveyard slot and let them hone their craft.

- rte are doing that thing they do best, finding something that works well and pushing it everywhere and anywhere. Republic of Telly does well? Great lets stick them on radio! And while on occasion this works radio to TV, rarely does it the other way around. Radio presenting is a skill.

-Breakfast Republic: you can hear the joke set ups coming a MILE off. As in practically the joke sheet being shuffled.
    That Bernard guy, is he going to keep up that character act forever??
    Relying on their TV success was a particular low moment a while ago, Bernard said "its like that republic of Telly sketch, yano when the da has a cuppa gravy, remember?''
    Amateur mistakes like Jen discovering to her shock Nicky Byrne was a pro footballer...twice in one week.

If they insist on this awful rubbish, get rid of Bernard, I think Jen has potential though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

Bythesea87 wrote: »

why don't they grow new raw talent? The way other stations do (BBC?). Give them a graveyard slot and let them hone their craft.
    Err that's exactly what they have done. Bottom of the barrel with Chris and Ciara 10pm Sunday-Thursday

I forgot another thing I noticed; if you listen to the show there is no relevance to it. For all you know they could all be pre recorded two weeks ago, there's very little in them that ties it to today, it's just a stream of pre prepared topics and "jokes"

• Advertisement

yes very true, you could prerecord all that nonsense and nobody would be any wiser just like i radio do, jen has potential? are you serious, she is the worst of the lot, bernard is very very one dimensional and really you have to see him to find him funny as he puts on this looking stupid act, keith is the best presenter but the whole thing is a mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,906 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jason_ wrote: »
    Err that's exactly what they have done. Bottom of the barrel with Chris and Ciara 10pm Sunday-Thursday

Both have been on regional radio for years though.

should have stayed on regional radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I think Jen could be ok if she calmed down a bit. At least to me, she comes across as very shouty, attention-seeking, LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!!! Which gets old really fast. She still wouldn't be my first choice for a national breakfast show, though.

Bernard I just cannot cope with. I realise comedy is very subjective but I find his thicko gombeen shtick the opposite of funny.

Keith is ok. Just ok.

After all that, I'm not really sure it's the presenters' fault that the show is such a mess. I can't think of anyone capable of being funny for 2 solid hours, 5 days a week, but that seems to be what's expected of them.

ray foley and jp can do it, noddy and jim jim can do it

• Advertisement

ray foley and jp can do it, noddy and jim jim can do it

Your contribution lost all credibility once you went there.

:D

Perhaps because Bernard is a write off that leaves you with Keith and Jen, so process of elimination, she has to have potential. wonder what the dynamic between just those two?

I don't understand how nobody in there has said, right Bernard, go on hols and when you come back be yourself! A comedian maybe but not a radio presenter- there is a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

they should all go on holidays....a permanent holiday! you gets me? you do gets me?

whats wrong with noddy and jim jim???

just because jen is a girl doesnt mean that she should stay, i think keith and ciara off chris and ciara would be good

Have read through this thread and here are my two cents (echoing some of what's been said before):

- 2fm doesn't know who their target audience is and the lack of clear strategy gives that away. Are they going for the vague "younger" group; what's younger? 16-24, 16-34, 25-34?!

- despite them doing a big shake up, still not one woman leads a show, national broadcaster stuck in the dark ages.

- why don't they grow new raw talent? The way other stations do (BBC?). Give them a graveyard slot and let them hone their craft.

- rte are doing that thing they do best, finding something that works well and pushing it everywhere and anywhere. Republic of Telly does well? Great lets stick them on radio! And while on occasion this works radio to TV, rarely does it the other way around. Radio presenting is a skill.

-Breakfast Republic: you can hear the joke set ups coming a MILE off. As in practically the joke sheet being shuffled.
    That Bernard guy, is he going to keep up that character act forever??
    Relying on their TV success was a particular low moment a while ago, Bernard said "its like that republic of Telly sketch, yano when the da has a cuppa gravy, remember?''
    Amateur mistakes like Jen discovering to her shock Nicky Byrne was a pro footballer...twice in one week.

If they insist on this awful rubbish, get rid of Bernard, I think Jen has potential though.
    another mistake on 2fms part is that republic of telly peaked 3 years ago and has been rapidly dying since....check out the "return of the republic of telly thread here.....it's been as good as inactive for years now, they took something that wasn't working believing it to be cool with all the young folk when in fact it's the opposite...I wouldn't normally call for a resignation but the 2fm boss has really set himself up to fall on his sword on this one...

Perhaps because Bernard is a write off that leaves you with Keith and Jen, so process of elimination, she has to have potential. wonder what the dynamic between just those two?

I don't understand how nobody in there has said, right Bernard, go on hols and when you come back be yourself! A comedian maybe but not a radio presenter- there is a difference!
    no comedian can come up with 2 hours of material 5 days a week....taking that into account this format is doomed to fail. All you need is a pleasent pro like Dempsey ...at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

another mistake on 2fms part is that republic of telly peaked 3 years ago and has been rapidly dying since....check out the "return of the republic of telly thread here.....it's been as good as inactive for years now, they took something that wasn't working believing it to be cool with all the young folk when in fact it's the opposite...I wouldn't normally call for a resignation but the 2fm boss has really set himself up to fall on his sword on this one...
    John Clarke launched 4 failed breakfast shows during his time as boss of 2fm and he still works at Rte

yes rep of telly is well past its peak, why do you think dermot whelan bailed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jason_ wrote: »
    John Clarke launched 4 failed breakfast shows during his time as boss of 2fm and he still works at Rte

He quit a few weeks back...

http://www.thejournal.ie/2fm-john-clarke-quits-1308691-Feb2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,906 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not from RTE he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

John is the man behind RTE Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's seem Keith is on tomorrow from 10-12 and lottie ryan is doing 7am-10am. Oh utter joy:rolleyes: lottie for three hours. I'll not be listening thankfully.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's seem Keith is on tomorrow from 10-12 and lottie ryan is doing 7am-10am. Oh utter joy:rolleyes: lottie for three hours. I'll not be listening thankfully.

Lottie Ryan would fit better with the breakfast show music....as it stands the music and the 3 weirdos just don't play cricket

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I would tend to be of the opinion that listeners would be far better served if Lottie was kept off air, it's patently obvious she's not 'on air' material whatsoever. The 2fm boss will soon enough see the fruits of his labour when jnlr figures will inevitably show huge losses in the morning, afternoons and over the weekend. Expect 2fm to be sold off within 2 years.

lottie ryan is terrible on radio, everybody knows that, but of course there is the gerry ryan guilt trip there...

Apologies for the delay in coming back to this but a few weeks back I said I'd ask my reliable source if the rumours of the impending axe for the show were true. I did ask, and they were very surpised to even hear of it being mooted as a possibility. In fact, they (and no surprise here I guess) thought it was doing really well.

Sometimes words fail me.

ah here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Apologies for the delay in coming back to this but a few weeks back I said I'd ask my reliable source if the rumours of the impending axe for the show were true. I did ask, and they were very surpised to even hear of it being mooted as a possibility. In fact, they (and no surprise here I guess) thought it was doing really well.

Sometimes words fail me.

What was their reaction when you laughed your ass off??

What was their reaction when you laughed your ass off??

Talking to people who work in RTE (actually same goes for TV3) is generally a weird experience. They inhabit this strange parallel universe that is in many ways similar to ours, but yet quite different. In this world everything is "loike totes amazeballs" and everything is super-positive, regardless of how crap it may actually be. I often wonder are these people aware when things aren't exactly brilliant and they are just towing the party line and wearing false smiles on their faces until they get to go home and cry themselves to sleep every night but alas, I think not. I genuinely do think they believe what they say. The power of groupthink.

• Advertisement

rte is a cesspool of back stabbers and falseness

Advertisement