Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

RTE staff obviously have a siege mentality, and it's fostered into them not just by nepotism, but at the start of their "working" day they go through a check point into their gated little community, from then on its cheap subsidised canteen food and back-slapping all the way round the corridors until the big pay cheque lands. The promotion of the Republic of Telly people to radio (where they don't have a script team working for them and are woefully exposed without one) and the awful Lottie Ryan to prime slots is proof of this. They live in a bubble. And we pay for it. What a life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

exactly, well said, it is all nepotism, lottie ryan has no credentials and no talent for media as far as i can see.....ryan tubridy is a very poor interviewer yet he was moved swiftly up the ranks and they are just 2 of the more high profile examples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Anyone bothered with this garbage recently?

• Site Banned Posts: 21 King of Pork

Anyone bothered with this garbage recently?

Heard it a few times. It's rubbish. Wonder what the JNLR impact will be

i'd say the JNLR figures must be shocking, although i cant imagine they were too hot for hector so they havent much to live up to either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jezzer wrote: »
    i'd say the JNLR figures must be shocking, although i cant imagine they were too hot for hector so they havent much to live up to either
    they were ok, down 12,000, but they were off air for most of that so it can only get worse. Tubs down again...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

they were ok, down 12,000, but they were off air for most of that so it can only get worse. Tubs down again...

That figure is from the 31st of January, 2 weeks before BR started.

That figure is from the 31st of January, 2 weeks before BR started.
    i know ...."the slot" is down 12,000, RTE have said that's no reflection on the show....(thinking it will get better)
    http://www.thejournal.ie/jnlr-results-1444091-May2014/

surely something has to be done with tubbers? if it was anyone else and they would be long gone, the only reason he get an audience on the late late is because of the late late itself as its embeded into the irish culture, you could put a roll of sellotape in the presenters chair and people would still watch, i would say one out of ten say they like him

surely something has to be done with tubbers? if it was anyone else and they would be long gone, the only reason he get an audience on the late late is because of the late late itself as its embeded into the irish culture, you could put a roll of sellotape in the presenters chair and people would still watch, i would say one out of ten say they like him
    it's a farce

I know boards doesn't represent the world at large, but the tubridy, republic of telly and this thread are basically dead....and i think that says something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 RockLady

I've tried really, really, really hard to give this show a chance and not judge it too quickly. Give it time to bed in, find its own feet and flow.

It's now nearly 3 months in. It's woeful. Pregnant pauses that just sound like dead air, juvenile sniggering at "lady front bits", Bernard's daft-culchie-in-Dublin shtick, Jen's cattiness and Keith's vain attempts to keep it all under control. That Keith's Cock item alone is awful.

I doubt RTE gives a toss what this lone listener thinks about the show but she thinks it rhymes with 'fight'. And I feel like having one of those with my radio when I listen to this programme.

i was listening to 2fm over the weekend to catch will leahy and when i got into the car this morning the station was still on 2fm, well i nearly got sick, i cant believe that breakfast republic is still as bad as ever, i normally would be a fan of bernard, well i thought i was until i realised he is already after running out of material, he is still on about growing up in the country with 4 sisters and i cringed when he used the same joke, "you should have seen the hand me downs" he used that one on the late late show a year ago, they were trying to scrape a half hour out of whether or not your aunts husband is your uncle.....how could you listen to that nonsense, its disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

i was listening to 2fm over the weekend to catch will leahy and when i got into the car this morning the station was still on 2fm, well i nearly got sick, i cant believe that breakfast republic is still as bad as ever, i normally would be a fan of bernard, well i thought i was until i realised he is already after running out of material, he is still on about growing up in the country with 4 sisters and i cringed when he used the same joke, "you should have seen the hand me downs" he used that one on the late late show a year ago, they were trying to scrape a half hour out of whether or not your aunts husband is your uncle.....how could you listen to that nonsense, its disgraceful

Its retarded, very retarded. After hearing that cock a doodle slot I felt like I didn't want to be part of the human race anyone. This show actually has sended me into a depression, I'd nevrr listen to 2fm again let alone that nonsense.

yes it actually is depressing....i'd love to know what they earn because if its a fiver a week, its way too much

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chef without a plane

I also have given it the couple of months to find its feet and have arrived at the conclusion that this is a tragic waste. The overall problem is the continued ‘character’ roles the guys actively jump into; Jen “the sharp tongued she-witch one”, Bernard “the farmer friendly might be slightly touched one” all held together by ‘The only professional parent figure one’ Keith. These are just contrived caricatures which, although may work on the telly in short weekly doses, come across 100 times more false over the airwaves on a daily basis.

The same goes for these god awful sketches they do, I don’t think I have ever felt so embarrassed for someone in a radio show before last week when they attempted some skit about discussing rumours about people… but the joke was, wait for it, the rumours were all made up!!! Suffice to say hijinks did not ensue as they clearly had no plan of where to take this and I lasted about a minute of them awkwardly trying to progress under pressure to convey a tale of fiction like a seven year old explaining to his parents who else might of s**t the bed. – They droned on about an unnamed staff member booking a holiday or some rubbish before I turned it off and thought about what wrongs I had committed in the world to deserve such treatment first thing in the morning.

The tragedy of this is, in my opinion, that I remain quite hopeful that a good show exists, perhaps not a great show but certainly a better one that is on air if they only dropped the act and presented themselves in a more honest manner, they all seem fond of each other so the chemistry is there and all seem like cool enough people in their own right if only they allowed the show to be a bit more natural I reckon they would be better off.

i think the thing with bernard is you have to see him to think he is funny, he is a visual comedian, his delivery depends on his facial expressions, for example i thought his briget and eamon sketch the other night was priceless, the one where they went on a drive, his thicko country fella routine depends on this

i think the thing with bernard is you have to see him to think he is funny, he is a visual comedian, his delivery depends on his facial expressions, for example i thought his briget and eamon sketch the other night was priceless, the one where they went on a drive, his thicko country fella routine depends on this
    and the 80's clothes and props really help too

yes absolutely

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Baba P

Show is coming on nicely now

it is, yea...

• Advertisement

is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

6 posts and 2 about brekkie republic? Hmmm

is it?

Yes. Definite improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Baba P wrote: »

In what way exactly has it improved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

padd b1975 wrote: »

Better jokes. Nicer music selection. Breakfast team just gelling together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Better jokes. Nicer music selection. Breakfast team just gelling together

You sure you're listening to the right show?

The "overheard in Offaly" gags were very funny this morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

The "overheard in Offaly" gags were very funny this morning !

You are either fishing for bait or work on the show if you think that this is very funny or maybe i have no sense of humour at all!

• Advertisement

sammy37 wrote: »
    You are either fishing for bait or work on the show if you think that this is very funny or maybe i have no sense of humour at all!

I found it light-hearted and jolly and a good distraction as I waited for the bus. Is that a crime that I don't align with what YOU find funny or not???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I found it light-hearted and jolly and a good distraction as I waited for the bus. Is that a crime that I don't align with what YOU find funny or not???

Use of the word "jolly" leads me to supsect the author is Ryan Tubridy using his street pseudonym of Baba P.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Fair enough and everyone to their own i suppose but it certainly aint my cup of tea

it hardly has improved has it???

it hardly has improved has it???

I think it has ?

<snip>

No chance I could just be a fan of the show ?

• Advertisement

no, theres something fishy about you, i mean who in the 21st century uses the word jolly except someone like tubbers??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

I've just one through and deleted quite a few posts here; for those who can't remember there's a charter in place that I strongly recommend you read esp. the part containing this:
    Both pro- and anti- show opinions are equally welcome. Therefore, anyone who greets a post praising [Presenter X] with "Hi [Presenter X]" gets a one day ban - no exceptions.

Any more personal attacks or accusations that was going on here will results in people spending a day or more with out posting rights. If you think someone is trolling please report it; if you think they are a shill report in the Shill thread for the Admins to look into the matter.

//MOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Well, I was driving yesterday morning at that time so I listened to most of it and I agree that it has improved. Maybe they finally got the message that everything shouldn't be turned up to 11 all the time. Still wouldn't call myself a fan, but I wasn't overcome by murderous rage like previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

i heard a snipet of it this morning and if you ask me its getting worse if thats possible.

i just think its as crap as ever and it hasnt the ability to change

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The guy that does the sports bulletins needs to use full stops.

He just motors through the segment, without pausing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The guy that does the sports bulletins needs to use full stops.

He just motors through the segment, without pausing!

His persistence in calling Sevilla "SEVILLE" was really annoying by the end of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Baby4 wrote: »
    The great Will Leahy is filling in for them next week. Now there's someone worth listening to!

That's actually deadly news, pity they won't do a ratings poll this week and next week and see the listener figures rocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

So Will Leahy wasnt deemed good enough to keep him on drive time yet Dan Healy has him doing breakfast next week, makes absolutely no sense. Leahy on his own will be better than the committee shambles that is breakfast republic.

will leahy next week? il be listening to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Me too. I actually think Will would give Ian Dempsey a serious run for his money if he were to be given the gig full time. I cannot abide listening to the current lineup for more than 2 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I heard a bit of this yesterday morning, they were on about Westlife being called ugly and Kian Egan saying that the Dublin lads were the ugly one.

Your one Jen pipes up, "thats, like, racism".

I think she was serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Heard it a couple of times now. Terrible.
    2fm has gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The last time I listened to the show it was 8:58 and Keith said something along the lines of the show is over and they had to go. To which jenn went, "what ? Really ?" I mean it was stupid because she expects us to believe that she wasn't aware of the time ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement