Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lease needed every year??

Options
  • 12-02-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a quick question regarding Part 4 Tenancy rules and fixed leases....

We are renting our house out at the moment and our tenants have just reached the end of their 1 year lease. They are great tenants and we want them to stay in the house.

From what I've read Part 4 Tenancy rules kick in after 6 months of them being in the house.

My question is this...

Do we need to keep doing up an annual lease every year or is it irrelevant due to Part 4 rules kicking in?

Thanks for your help.

bigbadcon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most people are happy to let things run on a Part 4 basis.

A landlord is entitled to ask for a lease to be signed, but there is no obligation for the tenant to sign one.

Some estate agents are pushy to get tenants to sign, so they can collect a fee.

If there are any changes, e.g. to the rent or inventory, that can be dealt with is a simple letter or memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A signed lease can offer more security to both parties (neither party can invoke the termination clauses of the part 4 tenancy while a fixed term lease is in effect), but neither party can insist that the other signs a further lease.

Just be aware that in some ways a fixed term lease actually lessens your rights as a landlord. Even under a current FTL the tenant can still look to reassign the remainder of the lease and leave (something that you legally cannot refuse), whereas you have no real options to terminate a fixed term lease early, except for where the tenant has broken the terms of the lease or has fallen into arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, 1 year lease completed and going month to month the last while. We agreed to pay an increase on the rent to reflect market rates and now the agent wants a new lease.

I said no, he said I need to as the rent has increased. I said we agreed that in writing via email so that takes care of that, and we are happy to go under the provisions of Part 4 tenancy etc.

They reply I got was "I've been doing this for years, don't worry yourself with researching this, just sign a new lease" which is very cheeky to say the least!

From Threshold.ie
    "Once the lease expires there is no obligation to sign a new lease and your tenancy cannot just be ended due to not signing a new lease. "

Also from Threshold (http://www.threshold.ie/advice/tenancy-issues/security-of-tenure/ )
    "There is no obligation on you to sign another lease."

Hopefully the above may be of help to others. I'll let you know how I get on with my Mr Know-it-all agent!!

Cheers,
    Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What a cheeky prick! I wouldnt be able to resist a smart reply along the lines of "as you have been doing this for years you should know that there is no legal obligation to sign a renewed lease" and include the links that you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What does a rent supplement tenant say or do when social welfare ask for a new lease every rent review ??
    Can they refuse

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    What a cheeky prick! I wouldnt be able to resist a smart reply along the lines of "as you have been doing this for years you should know that there is no legal obligation to sign a renewed lease" and include the links that you have there.

I haven't replied to that email yet, but your suggestion is the leading contender for a reply at the moment ;o)

If he is going to be condescending, he should at least make sure he is right ;o)

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Id go with Djimis response too.

Given they cheek of them Id also add.

Look I know your trying to cream off an unnessecary fee from the landlord by getting me to sign but Im not going to be a pawn in your game but if perhaps if you want to sent me another smart arse response that you would rather deal with this all via a PRSA complaint ?

That should just about cover it nicely :)

Hey,

Just for clarity, I mailed Threshold and got the following reply...

"Thank you for contacting Threshold with your query.
    There is no legal obligation on you to sign a new lease and you cannot be given notice if you chose not to do so."

I'll post back when the agent accepts he was wrong ;o)

Cheers,
    Alan.

Advertisement