Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Repair Service

• 12-02-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I have an iPhone 5s which I got unlocked in a shop in town (not by my carrier (Meteor) or Apple). I have an issue with my phone and I am sending it to apple for a repair/replacement.
    Anyway I got an email confirming that they received my request for a service and at the bottom in small text it says:

WARNING: Apple has discovered that some of the unauthorized unlocking programs available on the Internet may cause irreparable damage to the operating system software for your device. As part of the service process, Apple will update the operating system software to the latest version. IF YOU HAVE MODIFIED THE OPERATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE, YOUR DEVICE MAY BECOME PERMANENTLY INOPERABLE WHEN APPLE UPDATES THE SOFTWARE. Making unauthorized modifications to the operating system software violates Apple's software license agreement, and the inability to use your device due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your hardware warranty.

The part in red is the bit im worried about as I got my phone unlocked in a tech shop.

EDIT: Just to add, bar getting the phone unlocked I have not tampered with the software.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

You'll get it back locked to the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Straignt

kensutz wrote: »

Back to the network it was originally on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Straignt wrote: »
    Back to the network it was originally on?

It should do, but it has been said that it will lock to the first sim that is put into it. The problem will be then if you need to get it unlocked later by the operator.

The phone was originally locked to Vodafone so I could just contact them and get it unlocked free if that was to happen, couldn't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Straignt wrote: »
    The phone was originally locked to Vodafone so I could just contact them and get it unlocked free if that was to happen, couldn't I?

That would depend on if youre a vodafone customer.

You can always look at this link http://onlineforms.vodafone.ie/nac/

If you know someone who is a vodafone billpay customer you may be able to ask them can you submit the unlock through them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

useully they send you back a refurbished product

or they could refuse to fix it under warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

You won't get the same phone back.
    If the shop did an official apple unlock through iTunes and not a jailbreak the replacement you receive will be unlocked as well. If it was a jailbreak/unofficial unlock the you'll receive a locked phone back. It will be even more difficult getting this unlocked cause providers can/will only unlock phones they provided, not replacements (common problem with insurance and warranty replacements). However apple will send you an email with the old an new imei and this should be sufficient for the network provider to unlock the phone (provided you meet the standard requirements for unlock).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

kensutz wrote: »

Unless they send back a replacement, they're unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

AFAIK that's not true, if you send in a locked phone you get a locked one back (that you then can't get unlocked through your network as they don't recognise the imei). I also don't think apple actually check the phone but just go by the imei database (which will show which phone is locked/unlocked).
    There are sites like www.imei.info where you can check the lock/unlock status of your phone.

EDIT: Sorry made a post in this thread by accident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement