Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a teacher, what route can I take?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Mine is quite a strange situation..
    Basically, I'm in 3rd year in Biomedical Science and know that I DO NOT want a career in science. I do find parts of my course interesting, but a career in just science just does not appeal to me.
    I've always wanted to be a teacher. But since I had such good results in biology and chemistry and due to the high points (555) I got in my Leaving Cert, I was persuaded by others to go for something more credible and that I would definitely get a job in ("sure there's NO jobs in teaching!")
    My favourite subject in the Leaving Cert was French, which I got an A1 in, and have always had the desire to be a French teacher..

Basically, does anyone know how I could get into teaching French and science? I feel like this combination would suit me the most.
    If I finish off my Biomedical Science degree could I get into teaching science from there and do French separately?

Basically, does anyone know what would be the fastest route to becoming a French and science teacher, from the situation I'm in right now?

(If anyone knows of any courses in the UK, etc. I would also appreciate that - emigrating is definitely a possibility I've been considering...)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will need to check if your Biomedical Science job is accepted by the Teaching Council for teaching Science. If you want to teach French you'll need a degree in French. Then you do teacher training (used to be called the H. Dip.).

Then - there are no jobs in teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

How do I check that?
    My 'a French degree', do you mean a 4 year course in French or is there anything shorter I could do?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They used to have a document on their site that had all the acceptable degrees on it, but I can't find it now.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/General_and_Special_Requirements_for_Degree_Recognition_June2011%2053901607.pdf

By a French degree I mean a degree in French - four years - that's if you want to be registered with the Teaching Council to teach French.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

From our investigations in CG class that degree is accepted depending on the universtity. A list is available from the teaching council's website. French would be a 3 year degree, BA preferably, but you can do it part time for 4 years and PGDE at the same time. Meaning you will have a teaching degree in Science and when you finish you French degree also be qualified assuming it is an accepted course. That is my understanding of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Thanks very much to both of you!
    One more question: I don't plan on settling in Ireland for the rest of my life, how does a teaching qualification in Ireland translate to other countries? I was thinking to move to the UK, US or Canada?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much to both of you!
    One more question: I don't plan on settling in Ireland for the rest of my life, how does a teaching qualification in Ireland translate to other countries? I was thinking to move to the UK, US or Canada?

The UK straightforward enough - don't know about Canada or the US.

Advertisement