Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Sky to Vodafone Broadband Non Fibre

Options
  • 13-02-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Okay so I'm looking for some info from boards.ie

I had vodafone at home about 3.5 to 4 years ago and while the price was good I found the speed wasn't as reliable or stable as what Eircom were so switched back to eircom. We then changed to Sky on the years trial and surprisingly found it much the same quality as eircom. (Before someone jumps in and says they're all the same cos we use eircom phone lines the speeds are not! Well at least not when we moved to vodafone ) I have a good line coming into the house , should be capable of 12.29 megs though I don't get that , more 4-7megs depending on time of day.

We are now out of contract with Sky and I'm considering moving to Vodafone at Home for just standard broadband as although we are not in a fibre area at least we will be on a provider who can provide fibre when it does become available which is supposed to be in April (yeah right- eircom keep pushing it back and back ).

My question is has anyone moved from Sky to Vodafone (NON FIBRE) and noticed any different in the quality of service ? I'm specifically talking in the last two months as a lot of people are having congestion problems which weren't there before Christmas. I would be signing a 2 year agreement with Vodafone as they're giving me €10 off per month if I sign a 2 year agreement so I don't want to be tied into a contract if their service is going to be worse than SKY. Or should I go for broadband standalone with eircom though it will be €15 more expensive a month than Vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What mbps are you getting with Sky? And what are you paying them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

I did it 2 weeks ago. My line has never been more stable. Speeds still suffer in the evenings from congestion. Saving about €240 by switching. Hoping to get fiber soon but I'm still waiting for a cabinet to be built for my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

At the moment we have just come off the trial proving with sky so I think it's €47.50 now whereas if I moved to Vodafone broadband only should cost €35 but Vodafone offered it to me for €25 on a 2 year agreement.

I've just done a speedtest and got 7 meg download and 0.3 up. Where as at night it drops to 1-2 megs downl

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭zoom_cool

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Okay so I'm looking for some info from boards.ie

I had vodafone at home about 3.5 to 4 years ago and while the price was good I found the speed wasn't as reliable or stable as what Eircom were so switched back to eircom. We then changed to Sky on the years trial and surprisingly found it much the same quality as eircom. (Before someone jumps in and says they're all the same cos we use eircom phone lines the speeds are not! Well at least not when we moved to vodafone ) I have a good line coming into the house , should be capable of 12.29 megs though I don't get that , more 4-7megs depending on time of day.

We are now out of contract with Sky and I'm considering moving to Vodafone at Home for just standard broadband as although we are not in a fibre area at least we will be on a provider who can provide fibre when it does become available which is supposed to be in April (yeah right- eircom keep pushing it back and back ).

My question is has anyone moved from Sky to Vodafone (NON FIBRE) and noticed any different in the quality of service ? I'm specifically talking in the last two months as a lot of people are having congestion problems which weren't there before Christmas. I would be signing a 2 year agreement with Vodafone as they're giving me €10 off per month if I sign a 2 year agreement so I don't want to be tied into a contract if their service is going to be worse than SKY. Or should I go for broadband standalone with eircom though it will be €15 more expensive a month than Vodafone

Dont expect a good service from Vodafone in the evening time as the congestion is chronic 1-2MB max

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

zoom_cool wrote: »
    Dont expect a good service from Vodafone in the evening time as the congestion is chronic 1-2MB max

It's impossible to say that without knowing the situation at his local exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

At the moment we have just come off the trial proving with sky so I think it's €47.50 now whereas if I moved to Vodafone broadband only should cost €35 but Vodafone offered it to me for €25 on a 2 year agreement.

I've just done a speedtest and got 7 meg download and 0.3 up. Where as at night it drops to 1-2 megs downl

Did you have a look at the Bargain Alerts forum, where most of the Sky triallists got offered a further 6 months for €27.50?

Yeah I tried Sky 3 times to see would they give me the discount that the others on the trial got but nothing off them so said I'd shop around a bit

It's impossible to say that without knowing the situation at his local exchange.

Look at the Vodafone forum lots of people having issues with speed on Vodafone broadband network.

zoom_cool wrote: »
    Look at the Vodafone forum lots of people having issues with speed on Vodafone broadband network.

Look at the broadband forum. ItIt's full of speed issues Inc Sky Eircom and Vodafone hence why I asked for a comparison between sky and Vodafone. I know before the speeds were better on Eircom but I've read they've improved over the last few years so more so looking for information from someone who has switched from Sky yo Vodafone of late

Look at the broadband forum. ItIt's full of speed issues Inc Sky Eircom and Vodafone hence why I asked for a comparison between sky and Vodafone. I know before the speeds were better on Eircom but I've read they've improved over the last few years so more so looking for information from someone who has switched from Sky yo Vodafone of late

That is fair enough I cannot speak for how good the switch would be from Sky to Vodafone just giving you some info on Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Alessia7

A year ago I was out of contract with eircom so I switched to Vodafone. It was a complete nightmare. We used to get 11-12mb with eircom, with voda we got upto 10mb on our 16mb capable line. Anyway that's not were the problem was. Everyday the Internet cutout and had to reset the modem 4-5 times a day! And by the end of the week it refused to connect at all! So rang Vodafone who said must be faulty modem so sent a new one. So we're without broadband for a few days new modem, same problems, a week later no connection at all. Engineer came out and blamed the modem, so now without broadband for a few more days! Third modem now, worse then ever, engineer comes out again blames the modem again! Days without Internet again and 4th modem refuses to work at all! I was fuming! Had been with them for not even a month! Vodafone agreed I could switch to sky without facing a break out of contract fee! Happier with sky now get 11-13mb speed. Waiting impatiently for fibre!! I'd say stay clear of Vodafone, maybe I was just an unlucky customer. Oh I'm based in Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alessia7

When i joined sky to offer was 1/2 price for 4 months (€20) after €40 a month for phone and broadband with sky 1 year contract
    €400 for the first year

Advertisement