Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't watch much underage stuff but that Harry Wilson fella looks a cracking player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't watch much underage stuff but that Harry Wilson fella looks a cracking player.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

niallo27 wrote: »

He's like Harry Kewell the Leeds version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

opr wrote: »
    Anfield wrap interviewing Rossiter. Comes across as a great lad.

Opr
    Frightening maturity from a lad who is still only 16. We've been through quite a few young lads, but for me, Rossiter is the brightest hope out of the current batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Why the Salah comments? What did people expect? They let Mata go because he wasn't as good as their first team options and wasn't getting game time. They brought in a kid with potential as backup to the backup - if Mata wasn't getting a lot of gametime, Salah certainly wasn't going to!

The fact he isn't playing for chelsea doesn't mean we've "dodged a bullet" or something.

Surely the player himself would have realised that and stayed put or moved to a team where he would get at least a place on the bench.

Only getting on the bench because one of the worst signings Chelsea have made is injured in the warm up is embarrassing. If a player is content to take the cash rather than play then we have dodged a big bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Who gives a stuff about Salah? He made his bed, let him lie in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Surely the player himself would have realised that and stayed put or moved to a team where he would get at least a place on the bench.

Only getting on the bench because one of the worst signings Chelsea have made is injured in the warm up is embarrassing. If a player is content to take the cash rather than play then we have dodged a big bullet.

He's still only 21, and likely wouldn't have been starting too much more for us either given our own attacking lineup.

I just think its a weird sort of begrudgery, when we have the likes of Luis Alberto in and out of our own match day squad. He's the same age as Salah, and could have moved to a club where he'd have played more, but there's a lot to be said for training day in day out with a great manager with top class teammates. 21 year olds are at the start of their careers, and there are plenty of different paths to 'making it'. Being at Chelsea under Mourinho, playing with the likes of Hazard, Oscar, Eto'o and Willian every day is probably one of the better paths.

I just don't get the joy which has consistently popped up every now and again at seeing him only on the fringes since the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

woodyg wrote: »
    which won't happen till May!
    all this talk of 4th being in the bag is nuts
    so many games to go with so many of the big teams playing each other that any talk of who finishes in what position is crazy.

so far it's been great.....so far

It's not nuts or crazy at all.

We've been on about 76 points and 2 points per game all season in here, Morzadec's table, sure even Rodgers mentioned it in interviews.

We need 17/30 points to get 76, Spurs need 24/27 as they'll need 77 due to goal difference, they've to play us and Arsenal. They've an easier run in after that.

Everton need 29/33.

United need 30/30 as it's mathematically impossible for them to finish on 77.

Spurs losing probably means 73/74 points will clinch 4th which means 15/30 should do it for us. That would be our poorest form by far this season.

If you break them down like Rodgers does, 8/15 against United, Cardiff and West Ham (Away), Sunderland and Spurs (Home) plus 7/15 from City, Chelsea and Newcastle (Home), Norwich and Palace (Away) and 4th will more than likely be Liverpool's.

Given our tougher run in it's exactly where we should be. If we can't get 15/30 points we don't deserve CL football, simple. We're more than capable of that and really should be looking at 3rd minimum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

We I think back to all the crying people did when spurs got all their signings last summer. Dodged a lot of bullets thank god

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

The United game next week will be tough. However poor a season United are having they will be up for it. Ending our title hopes and denting our top 4 ambition will certainly go down well with their fans

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Who gives a stuff about Salah? He made his bed, let him lie in it.

Sure they won't leave the poor bolex into the bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We I think back to all the crying people did when spurs got all their signings last summer. Dodged a lot of bullets thank god

That's a stupid point.

They've had an absolute mess to deal with in the management position for the whole season and a huge number of signings had to settle in at the same time.

Any of their signings would've at the very least made a great addition to our squad, except for maybe Soldado at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Gbear wrote: »
    That's a stupid point.

They've had an absolute mess to deal with in the management position for the whole season and a huge number of signings had to settle in at the same time.

Any of their signings would've at the very least made a great addition to our squad, except for maybe Soldado at that price.

You're right, I blame Levy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Gbear wrote: »
    That's a stupid point.

Not to mention that I trust Rodgers to get more from players than either AVB or Sherwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The internet is amazing

http://www.singitkitty.co.uk/#play/Bj9Wq

Edit - It gets better :pac: http://www.singitkitty.co.uk/#play/gJbF5

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Rodgers talking up the return of Borini and Suso, he must not see the rest of the loan players coming back, guess he's not talking about the reserve players since some of them seem to be playing well, Robinson, Wisdom. Hope Ilori is given a chance and comes back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

mike65 wrote: »

Heard they were looking at that Suarez chap.

Decent player, gets the odd goal, few assists, would be an upgrade on Aspas and Borini.

Can be got for around 20 million.

Risky though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Frightening maturity from a lad who is still only 16. We've been through quite a few young lads, but for me, Rossiter is the brightest hope out of the current batch.

You never know with young lads but would be surprised if he doesn't have a very good career. Plays far beyond his years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Heard they were looking at that Suarez chap.

Decent player, gets the odd goal, few assists, would be an upgrade on Aspas and Borini.

Can be got for around 20 million.

Risky though.

nah, heard he bites peolple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

So Welbeck or Sturridge? And they call us deluded.

32 goals in 39 games for Liverpool
    29 goals in 128 games for United

I really wonder about some peoples mental health around here.

I'm just glad we have the one that is prolific and the not the one with the Andy Carroll strike rate :)

EDIT, apologies to Andy, his strike rate is actually better.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'm just glad we have the one that is prolific and the not the one with the Andy Carroll strike rate :)

EDIT, apologies to Andy, his strike rate is actually better.

Big Andy didn't cost 35m for no reason y'know!!! A goal every 3.6 games while Welbeck is at a goal every 4.4 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

dobsdave wrote: »
    nah, heard he bites peolple.

I heard he's a bit of a racist father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Stupid argument but games are off so add in PL performances for Chelsea and Bolton and Sturridge comes in at 54 goals in 129 games

RasTa wrote: »
    Stupid argument but games are off so add in PL performances for Chelsea and Bolton and Sturridge comes in at 54 goals in 129 games

So even with that argument our Danny is better than your Danny having scored almost twice as many goals in the same number of games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Welbeck is the better all round player.......provided 'all round' is the name of some little known sport with no connection to football.

Of all the things I said about Sturridge before he joined it was probably a bit OTT to compare him to Welbeck. :eek:

Have to laugh at that LiamO blokes post aswell....fairly sure his picture is beside the word fanboy in the dictionary.

It's even more stupid now.

If you add in Preston and Sunderland it gets grimmer for Danny.

I'd say every Liverpool fan wouldn't swap Sturridge for Welbeck in a million years while also hoping Welbeck in the number 1 striker at Utd for years to come !

• Advertisement

I'd say every Liverpool fan wouldn't swap Sturridge for Welbeck in a million years while also hoping Welbeck in the number 1 striker at Utd for years to come !

But hasn't Welbeck trebled his goal tally from last season....he is obviously on the rise.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    But hasn't Welbeck trebled his goal tally from last season....he is obviously on the rise.

1 league goal last season, he's on 9 this year. 100 goals next season, you heard it here first.

1 league goal last season, he's on 9 this year. 100 goals next season, you heard it here first.

9...never would have thought he had that in him. In all honesty that's a decent return playing in a mid table club.

I'm talking about PL games only.

Anyway I don't care but comparing one season stats to his whole career is silly. Welbeck is a squad player and arguably our 4th choice striker. Cost us nothing with the club since 11 etc etc.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Tbh, I'm not slagging Welbeck but the comparison was made to Sturridge and was responding to that.

Put it this way, he wouldn't get into our team ahead of Sturridge or Suarez. Probably not Sterling either atm.

Anyway I don't care but comparing one season stats to his whole career is silly. Welbeck is a squad player and arguably our 4th choice striker. Cost us nothing with the club since 11 etc etc.

So just going on premier league games, sturridge has almost twice as many goals in the same number of games.

He's 3rd choice at United, not 4th.

Tbh, I'm not slagging Welbeck but the comparison was made to Sturridge and was responding to that.

Put it this way, he wouldn't get into our team ahead of Sturridge or Suarez. Probably not Sterling either atm.

He would barely get on our bench ahead of Borini.

Agreed.

Also the rest of your post is spot on too.

Not sure who compared them in the first place anyway tbh.

So just going on premier league games, sturridge has almost twice as many goals in the same number of games.

He's 3rd choice at United, not 4th.

Hernandez is injured atm, he will come on before Danny if we need a goal.

That's me done.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Few papers reporting Rodgers on verge of new 3yr contract, and a budget of £60mil for the summer window.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Few papers reporting Rodgers on verge of new 3yr contract, and a budget of £60mil for the summer window.

Is that 60m before player sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sturridge has clearly moved ahead of Welbeck this year. Not sure why it bothers anyone that a few deludos in the United thread think that there are comparisons between the two.

The only thing I will say is that Sturridge was a very selfish player prior to signing for Liverpool - I remember him having an awful game for Chelsea against United and trying around 5 shots from 40 yards - so the improvement is huge.

Welbeck has good qualities, apart from his finishing. Players develop at different times, look at Drogba, so I'm hoping that there is an actual comparison to be made in coming seasons. As it stands, though, Sturridge is head and shoulders above and Liverpool fans are crazy for even discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Sturridge has clearly moved ahead of Welbeck this year. Not sure why it bothers anyone that a few deludos in the United thread think that there are comparisons between the two.

The only thing I will say is that Sturridge was a very selfish player prior to signing for Liverpool - I remember him having an awful game for Chelsea against United and trying around 5 shots from 40 yards - so the improvement is huge.

Welbeck has good qualities, apart from his finishing. Players develop at different times, look at Drogba, so I'm hoping that there is an actual comparison to be made in coming seasons. As it stands, though, Sturridge is head and shoulders above and Liverpool fans are crazy for even discussing it.

I like Welbeck, but Sturridge has been ahead of him since forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mike65 wrote: »

Showing your age there Mike :pac:

Couldn't resist when I read it as that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Liverpool Data ‏@LiverpoolData 1h

Luis Suarez to outscore the entire England team at the World Cup - 7/2 with Paddy Power! http://bit.ly/Paddy520
    Expand

:)

Worth a few quid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Well that bit is true anyway:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

billy2012 wrote: »
    I like Welbeck, but Sturridge has been ahead of him since forever.

That's cool. I'd say there was no noticeable dufference until around the last year and a bit, but neither was lighting it up until Sturridge started to play for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Agueroooo wrote: »

Sweet, we can count/play with the money while Ayre bumbles around Europe not signing anybody :pac:

Was talking to some of my buddies about this yesterday, hopefully we get CL this year - it could still happen that we don't and I'm trying not to lose the run of myself.

Either way, you add CL football to a decent budget to allow Rodgers bring in players like Wilian/Kono etc. - the types we've been linked with but couldn't land before, in addition to the players we have returning - Suso, Ilori, Borini - then you actually have quite a strong squad.

There's no reason why Suso & Borini shouldn't be giving Sterling/Coutihno a run for their money and allow us to play to our system consistently with energy instead of worrying about fatigue etc. Wisdom, Ibe & Ilori with the loans they've had should be well able to slot in for cup games etc. with MacLaughlin, Robinson etc. potentially needing more time on loan to develop.

I think right now our squad is light but with one or two strong additions & the way we've developed our players by sending them on loan will see us in very good stead for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

:)

Worth a few quid??

nope. uruguay are crap and wont progress while england will

i was going to do suarez for top scorer but the team is doing so bad and they/he wont score many v england and italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Are we still interested in Papadopolous? Assuming he's fit now/ after the world cup. Would like to see him and Sakho in the centre with the other pair as back ups next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement