Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

MarkY91 wrote: »
    nope. uruguay are crap and wont progress while england will

i was going to do suarez for top scorer but the team is doing so bad and they/he wont score many v england and italy

Uruguay >>> England

Well imo anyway.

I'd imagine the budget is dependent on actually qualifying for the CL.

If we finish 4th, we'll face a tricky qualifier in August and anything can happen in that match.

That's why finishing 3rd or higher would be seriously sweet, Rodgers could get the ball rolling on transfers end of May and avoid the last minute shopping dash on Sep 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

:)

Worth a few quid??

Yes yes yes !!!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Uruguay >>> England

Well imo anyway.

Uruguay will win that group , Italy will be second and England will be coming home .

Uruguay will win that group , Italy will be second and England will be coming home .

Hopefully

• Advertisement

Hopefully

Hopefully , to me it's a nailed on certainty . England never produce the goods at a big tournament . The whole of England will go into meltdowns about winning the World Cup but it won't happen . They have to be one of the most dis jointed international teams in the world . They just don't seem to know how to play together .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

This just popped up on my youtube page. Riise scored a lot of goals for us!

Was pretty good on Breaking Bad too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX0kQCcbQGve3DVGHgJl-xi68GzVLDx8sCNhM6jICaXE040wA4

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

If we finish 4th, we'll face a tricky qualifier in August and anything can happen in that match.

Yeah I'd hate to see us get a tricky tie against shamrock rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We got the best of Riise's career. It's kinda sad to see the shadow of what he once was turning out for Fulham at present. Time makes fools of us all. For us he was a power of an athlete aggressively marauding up the pitch from fullback. It was a shame when he left, and we haven't put a better player in the position since tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

dr ro wrote: »
    Are we still interested in Papadopolous? Assuming he's fit now/ after the world cup. Would like to see him and Sakho in the centre with the other pair as back ups next season.

He has played 83 minutes all season and got sent off last week in his first full match back against Bayern.

I can't see us going anywhere near him again now other targets will have moved ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TrueIt wrote: »

Impossible tie to happen in the champions league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We got the best of Riise's career. It's kinda sad to see the shadow of what he once was turning out for Fulham at present. Time makes fools of us all. For us he was a power of an athlete aggressively marauding up the pitch from fullback. It was a shame when he left, and we haven't put a better player in the position since tbh.

Apart from Djimi Traore of course :P

Aurelio was good but made of glass unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

TrueIt wrote: »

Have a look at the final qualifying round last season. We will not get an easy tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

A poster on RAWK put this together. This was as of February 28th, so obviously there will be slight changes here and there but it will give you a good idea of what or who we could be facing should we finish 4th.
    I've seen a lot of posts about who will be seeded, and who could face whom if they finish 4th in PL, 3rd in Serie A, etc .and thought this would explain it perfectly and clear some of the doubt.
    Teams who finish 3rd and 4th in top leagues, will play in the Non-Champions Pot.

Initially, These 10 teams play each other, and 5 of them will progress, BEFORE playing the teams from PL, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, Liga Sagres

French League (3rd) --> Currently Lille
    Ukrainian League (2nd) --> Currently Metalist
    Russian League (2nd) --> Currently Lokomotiv Moscow
    Dutch league (2nd) --> Currently Twenty
    Turkish league (2nd) --> Currently Galatasaray
    Belgian league (2nd) --> Currently Brugge
    Greek league (2nd) --> Currently PAOK
    Swiss league (2nd) --> Currently Young Boys
    Cyprus league (2nd) --> Currently APOEL
    Danish league (2nd) --> Currently AaB

From those teams, NONE of them have higher coefficients than Liverpool (just in case).

Then the 5 other teams that will be there will be

4th team in PL --> Currently Liverpool
    3rd team in Serie A --> Currently Napoli
    4th team in Bundesliga --> Currently Schalke
    3rd team in Liga Sagres --> Porto
    4th team in La Liga --> Currently Bilbao

Only Schalke and Porto have higher coefficient points than Liverpool. Napoli could go above us if they get a couple of more wins in EL.

You would also expect likes of Porto to get back to 2nd in their respective league, and some team with lower coefficients to finish 3rd.

All in all (hope we will finish higher of course), but EVEN if we did finish 4th, we are odds on drawing a team from none of the top teams. These are the ranking points, used for next season's CL (and still changing for teams still involved in Europe)

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

Hopefully , to me it's a nailed on certainty . England never produce the goods at a big tournament . The whole of England will go into meltdowns about winning the World Cup but it won't happen . They have to be one of the most dis jointed international teams in the world . They just don't seem to know how to play together .

I wouldn't say it's nailed on but I'd have them as outsiders too.

If Sturridge keeps his goalscoring form going and Rooney ups his game you never know.

Hodgson certainly won't help their cause with caveman tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Loved watching Riise play, scored some total screamers. You dont see those types of goals anymore, Anywhere!! Everytime he got the ball beyond the halfway line on the left I wanted him to shoot!! Benitez ruined him imo, stopped him going on those long runs. I'm pro benitez btw, just think his defensive strictness hampered and killed riise's style!

Have a look at the final qualifying round last season. We will not get an easy tie.

Just have to keep an eye on the ranking

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Conor Coady denied twice by the offside flag today! The Blades are about to win their tie 2-0

Borini on the bench for Sunderland, seriously what's that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Gotta love those Utd fans, they grind out a win against a hopeless West Brom and now Fellaini is a superstar and Danny 'Bambi on Ice' Welbeck is a better all round player than Sturridge because he scored a goal. Short memories they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

whats this all about?!

24yx11f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

mada999 wrote: »
    whats this all about?!

24yx11f.png

I keep getting it too, aswell as one about a whopping 10% off city shirts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ad Block is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ad Block is your friend.

Indeed. How people can use the internet without Adblock is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ah Riise...that own goal against Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Gotta love those Utd fans, they grind out a win against a hopeless West Brom and now Fellaini is a superstar and Danny 'Bambi on Ice' Welbeck is a better all round player than Sturridge because he scored a goal. Short memories they have.

twas the same after they beat crystal palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Welbeck is the better all round player.......provided 'all round' is the name of some little known sport with no connection to football.

Of all the things I said about Sturridge before he joined it was probably a bit OTT to compare him to Welbeck. :eek:

Have to laugh at that LiamO blokes post aswell....fairly sure his picture is beside the word fanboy in the dictionary.

Tbh, I was hungover and pissed off, a bit embarrassing reading it back, calling Sturridge underrated is still stupid though.

But you continue taking potshots here at posts and posters on other threads where the people you're going on about wont see it a lot of the time, see you next United match thread when they lose or draw...(realise that the next game is against Liverpool but the one after that sure.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Welbeck is the better all round player.......provided 'all round' is the name of some little known sport with no connection to football.

Of all the things I said about Sturridge before he joined it was probably a bit OTT to compare him to Welbeck. :eek:

Have to laugh at that LiamO blokes post aswell....fairly sure his picture is beside the word fanboy in the dictionary.

Ah the fanboy card
    I am not a fan of Carroll...but he is a better choice than Sturridge.

I agree, Sturridge is inferior to Welbeck who is already in the squad,

It's funny how your opinion of Welbeck being worse than Sturridge coincided with Sturridge signing for Liverpool, what's the definition of a fanboy again?

Looks like your picture is right beside LiamO's picture in that dictionary.

On Sturridge/ Welbeck, comparing their goals is ridiculous considering how woeful Welbeck is at scoring, but if there's goalscorers already in the team and it's a choice between the two it's not far fetched that people would pick Welbeck as he'd do the job he's told to do be it marking and tracking back and he'll as people who like him put it, "put a shift in".

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

City game looks to be going to be moved if the semis against Arsenal is on the same weekend.

Can see our games getting crammed.

Good or bad thing?

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Tbh, I was hungover and pissed off, a bit embarrassing reading it back

Yea was a pretty bizarre and confusing reply to my post alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Disappointing that seventh won't get a Europa spot this season. Would have been beneficial next season to have united, everton and spurs all with a midweek distraction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Yea was a pretty bizarre and confusing reply to my post alright.

I tend to fly off the handle the odd time with things like that, one of those times that I should have just deleted everything. Sorry dude. It's been a tough season :p

Wish we were still in the FA Cup :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Christ city are slow starters we could be 11-0 up before they start playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah the fanboy card

It's funny how your opinion of Welbeck being worse than Sturridge coincided with Sturridge signing for Liverpool, what's the definition of a fanboy again?

Looks like your picture is right beside LiamO's picture in that dictionary.

Good stuff rayne....keep practicing your reading and you will get the hang of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Game against City on April 13th will not be moved since Wigan just knocked them out of the FA cup, I'm delighted as I have flights booked for that weekend.

Game against City on April 13th will not be moved since Wigan just knocked them out of the FA cup, I'm delighted as I have flights booked for that weekend.

Home game before 25 anniversary of Hillsborough the ground will be rocking even more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

On Sturridge/ Welbeck, comparing their goals is ridiculous considering how woeful Welbeck is at scoring, but if there's goalscorers already in the team and it's a choice between the two it's not far fetched that people would pick Welbeck as he'd do the job he's told to do be it marking and tracking back and he'll as people who like him put it, "put a shift in".

Put a shift in is for Midfielders and defenders, strikers are there to score goals and contribute going forward - the words Put in a shift are used towards Welbeck because that is all he does, run around like a dope, fall over diving when he feels like it. In summary he is a poor striker and a grafting wideman when Ferguson used to use him in wide position purposely to stifle their wingers. Personally i'd never play Sturridge as a defencive winger, so there you go i'd play him ahead of Sturridge in that position.

but as a STRIKER, Sturridge every time. Cannot score goals, no business being a striker.

Put a shift in is for Midfielders and defenders, strikers are there to score goals and contribute going forward - the words Put in a shift are used towards Welbeck because that is all he does, run around like a dope, fall over diving when he feels like it. In summary he is a poor striker and a grafting wideman when Ferguson used to use him in wide position purposely to stifle their wingers. Personally i'd never play Sturridge as a defencive winger, so there you go i'd play him ahead of Sturridge in that position.

but as a STRIKER, Sturridge every time. Cannot score goals, no business being a striker.

You say all of that as if there's someone disagreeing with you and you are trying to prove a point

Nobody is disagreeing Sturridge is the better striker

And as the majority of this thread will know, there's no point writing off a player especially a 23 year old. If Liverpool fans got their way a year ago Sturridge would be god knows where probably in the championship by reading through some of the post histories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow.

Wigan did it again :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Flynt starting fires all over the utd thread is funny reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Liam O wrote: »
    I tend to fly off the handle the odd time with things like that, one of those times that I should have just deleted everything. Sorry dude. It's been a tough season :p
    Fair play, Liam O:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Wellbeck would be banging in goals like Sturridge if playing first choice for a big club imo.
    He's better than Sturridge in some ways but not as clinical I think
    That bizarre celebration Sturridge does is cringeworthy too.
    His goal scoring abilities are only outdone by his arrogance. He makes it really easy for people to hate him.
    Sturridge is in form now but will have to do it for a good bit longer over an entire season to convince me. Still prone to droughts and playing within himself when things aren't going his way
    Sturridges goal scoring is phenomenal but I would still say Welbeck is a better all round player
    Well there must be a reason Sturridge hasn't been able to do it for a top club and Welbeck has to compete with RVP and Rooney
    In relation to the Sturridge v Wellbeck debate, I think that if Wellbeck got a consistent spell up front he would prove to be a better player than Sturridge. Sturridge probably a better finisher, but Welbeck is a more intelegant and better all round player

What are they smoking over there in the Man United Thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I love the fact that the goal celebration is winding them up!

If Liverpool fans got their way a year ago Sturridge would be god knows where probably in the championship by reading through some of the post histories.

Load of hyperbole nonsense......just because a few posters here said they didn't like him does not equal no-one wanted him. I for one was happy we got him as was the majority of people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

same here. and i now get to attend the hillsborough memorial service midweek also. thank you wigan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

NukaCola wrote: »
    What are they smoking over there in the Man United Thread?

You'd be excused for thinking that you made those up on the spot.
    Laughable! Sometimes fans really need to look past rivalries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I love the fact that someone is talking about intelligence and can't spell "intelligent".

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    You'd be excused for thinking that you made those up on the spot.
    Laughable! Sometimes fans really need to look past rivalries.

I'm sure there are many more, just had a quick look to see what some people were saying.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Load of hyperbole nonsense......just because a few posters here said they didn't like him does not equal no-one wanted him. I for one was happy we got him as was the majority of people here.

My humour detector must be broken today because I think you're taking the píss but I'm not really sure...
    Supposedly we could have signed Sturridge for £15m but Rodgers didn't want to. This was before the Dempsey deal broke down though and by that stage it was too late for any other plans.
    NukaCola wrote:
    Heard that too, i really dislike Sturridge......would have been happier with the loan deal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement