Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Roll on Sunday. Games cannot come quick enough for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Kess73 wrote: »

Just hope the break hasn't halted our momentum.

Utd away aint a bad way of finding out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Does anyone know how many of our players were involved in the internationals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Just hope the break hasn't halted our momentum.

Utd away aint a bad way of finding out.

UTD will be bolstered by that West Brom win.

I just hope we're too much for them going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Number of Pens for and against this season

Liverpool 6 4
    Chelsea 4 0

Mourihno has no argument....

But i wasnt saying he did :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Metro running a story that we've been offered Viktor Fischer. Now, it's the Metro, so they probably pulled him name out of a hat, but he'd be a fair alternative to Konoplyanka, similar position, less dynamic but very skilful.

And with the (possible) attraction of CL, we can start to realistically think about these players!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Have the Monday morning blues something else this morning - suffering football withdrawals

For those of you like me, here's a vid from that MilanKakaBaros lad, of a lad who just can't stop scoring. Just can't get enough

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=721521384536287

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I think Sundays going to be a lot tougher than people think
    I expect we will score but I dont fancy our defence against their attack either

Augmerson wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many of our players were involved in the internationals?

Started or joined up with?

5 for England
    Migs
    Brad Jones
    Sakho (on bench for France)
    Agger
    Allen
    Suarez
    Moses

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I certainly don't expect it to be easy. Even if Utd are not playing well they have a lot of good players, and if they are going to be up for any match then the one against us is the one they will be up for. Even if they win I can't see them getting top 4, but there will be the faintest whiff of it if they are within 8 points with 9 games to go. We don't have a good recent record there, but this season we have been doing well in places we don't have good recent records in (WHL, Brittania, St Mary's). Hopefully we can keep up the recent momentum and get a win, but a draw won't be a bad result either, although it would probably make it extremely difficult to win the title, which is already a bit of a long shot.

I expect us to be on the back foot for a good bit of the game anyhow, but hopefully our ability on the break will make the difference, rather than our porous defence. I'm nervous as hell about it anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

naughtb4 wrote: »
    But i wasnt saying he did :confused::confused:

Was reinforcing the point ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

mike65 wrote: »
    He has scored 9 goals in 18 games for Bosnias top side and is probably going to be at the World Cup and he still can't get a work permit!
    He hasn't been capped yet though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Just a point on what Mourinho was saying at the weekend that myself and the ould lad disagree on. Off topic not being LFC Chat but an interesting argument.

Mourinho said that its City's to lose. That City have played 3 games less and are 9 points behind. Chelsea can win all the rest of their games and still not win the title. Their destiny is not in their own hands, he would prefer to be in control of their league position, rather than have games in hand. I agree with him here.

My ould lad is in the camp that 3 games in hand, is not 9 points, as there are no certainties in football. Obviously Wigan beating City allowed him to sufficiently rub this in my face. But City are still in control of their destiny and have no one to blame at this late stage of the season if they do not win the prem. If they win all their games, they win the prem.

Anyway, whose shoes would you rather be in. Pellegrini's or Mourinho's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sunday should be a tough game.

Man U at Old Trafford? That is not a fixture that screams pushover.

I just hope Moyes sets up his team to come at us, and looks to go punch for punch, but have a feeling that he will try to set up like he did against Chelsea earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

From reading through this thread over the weekend I'd note that some of you are now fully exposed to a Utd defeat next Sunday - particularly if it features a Welbeck winner. I kinda admire the moxy mind, but you've left little wiggle room in the event of a bad result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/03/behind-enemy-lines/
    wrote:

COUNTDOWN TO OLD TRAFFORD: BEHIND ENEMY LINES

By Sam Drury

THE day the fixtures for the new season are announced in June is an important one in the football calendar. After weeks without club football, for many fans it is the day the countdown to the new season begins in earnest.

Supporters across the country scan through page after page of fixtures in search of the stand-out matches, the ones that make or break their seasons.

For me, after a quick glance at who we were playing on the opening day, there were only two matches I was looking for.

Manchester United. Home and away.

Liverpool fans debate among themselves who the club’s greatest rivals are between United and Everton, but as far as I’m concerned there is no contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

flanzer wrote: »
    Have the Monday morning blues something else this morning - suffering football withdrawals

For those of you like me, here's a vid from that MilanKakaBaros lad, of a lad who just can't stop scoring. Just can't get enough

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=721521384536287

For all the amazing goals he has scored its that goal against crystal palace is my favourite, he is lying on the ground and still manages to finish it. Sums up Suarez and his never say die attitude for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dickerty wrote: »
    Metro running a story that we've been offered Viktor Fischer. Now, it's the Metro, so they probably pulled him name out of a hat, but he'd be a fair alternative to Konoplyanka, similar position, less dynamic but very skilful.

And with the (possible) attraction of CL, we can start to realistically think about these players!!

I actually would love to see this. I think he'd be even better in Liverpool's set up than Ajax's, where at times there can be 4 players on the pitch at the same time moving around 3 positions, which obviously doesn't work.

Only worry would be game time. Based on this season's formation I'd probably put him in Sterling's position in the front 3, and would probably mean the end of Aspas.

Contracted until 2017, £15m would be about right this summer. He'd be an excellent addition to the team. If he moves, I'd love it to be to go to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

IK09 wrote: »
    Just a point on what Mourinho was saying at the weekend that myself and the ould lad disagree on. Off topic not being LFC Chat but an interesting argument.

Mourinho said that its City's to lose. That City have played 3 games less and are 9 points behind. Chelsea can win all the rest of their games and still not win the title. Their destiny is not in their own hands, he would prefer to be in control of their league position, rather than have games in hand. I agree with him here.

My ould lad is in the camp that 3 games in hand, is not 9 points, as there are no certainties in football. Obviously Wigan beating City allowed him to sufficiently rub this in my face. But City are still in control of their destiny and have no one to blame at this late stage of the season if they do not win the prem. If they win all their games, they win the prem.

Id love to be in Chelsea's postion, huge pressure on city to win games in hand especailly when one is away to your city rivals. The boring one was just up to the usuals...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    From reading through this thread over the weekend I'd note that some of you are now fully exposed to a Utd defeat next Sunday - particularly if it features a Welbeck winner. I kinda admire the moxy mind, but you've left little wiggle room in the event of a bad result.

pulling up a ridiculous post about Welbeck being comparatively better than Sturridge is hardly binding oneself up, and exposing oneself to a slagging if Utd win.

that slagging would be coming either way. even if Mr Welbeck scores or not.

lets just hope it is us doing the slagging :pac:

but sticking with the Utd game...

It is never usually the obvious players that win these type of games for us (Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard etc) but the likes of the players that one their day make the big difference (Coutinho, Sterling, Allen etc).
    If two out of those three show up we will win, but its a big IF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

How could anyone prefer having three games in hand than be 9 points ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Much rather be in Pellegrini's....even solely for the fact that the alternative means you're a horrible, bitter, egotistical c......

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Miguel Delaney had an article on the ESPN blog which dealt with this very issue. Has happened 12 times in last 40 years that teams had games in hand. 7 out of 12 times the team with the games in hand triumphed - with LFC being the most adept at comebacks!!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/12840?cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Man City are averaging just under 2.2 points per game, so they'd be expected to get between 6 and 7 points from their 3 games in hand. Much rather the points on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

yesno1234 wrote: »
    How could anyone prefer having three games in hand than be 9 points ahead?

This.

If Chelsea actually tried to score more than 1 goal a game they wouldn't have to worry about City winning all their games in hand either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fcs-ian-ayre-targets-6791064

It may not be the table Liverpool fans are most interested in right now, but for Ian Ayre the Deloitte Football Money League is one that cannot be ignored.

And the Reds' managing director is keen to see the club regain its place in the top 10 of European football's 'rich list' sooner rather than later.

Liverpool were listed 12th on Deloitte's latest list, published in January. It is the first time the Reds have been outside the top 10 in 14 years, with the likes of Borussia Dortmund, Juventus and cash-rich Paris St Germain all stealing a march.

Ayre, though, believes a return to European football, together with the club's planned re-development of Anfield, should help them climb the rankings before too long.

Strootman has done his ACL.

big blow for Holland and their W.C ambitions, and someone I hoped we might go after in the summer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.google.ie/#q=liverpool+fixtures

Google seems to think we're playing sunderland tonight

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/#q=liverpool+fixtures

Google seems to think we're playing sunderland tonight

Google hey :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Up to Moyes to out tactic Brendan on Sunday. If they set up to attack that suits our game and we will win. I have seen plenty of them this season and they will seriously struggle against a high pressing counter attack side like us. West Brom's best chance's came from them pressing United high up the pitch and breaking forward. West Brom lacked the blistering pace and high quality attackers we have but the idea was right.

I have no doubt this will be a tough game, united have nothing to loose and will not want to see Liverpool pull away from them even more. They have the individuals to hurt us but we have the team to hurt them.
    If we can get go 2 up early on, Old Trafford will be stunned and silenced and the pressure will pile back onto them and Moyes.

I have read plenty that all the pressure is on Liverpool but I disagree Moyes needs a positive result against us to appease the support and board.

All in all, I cant wait for it. Its going to be a sloberknocker!

Strootman has done his ACL.

big blow for Holland and their W.C ambitions, and someone I hoped we might go after in the summer :(

That's terrible, he's the like a Dutch Gerrard. Classy player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He hasn't been capped yet though?

Only under age but I think he could sneak on the plane as a third striker - Bos-Hoz have a paucity of centre forwards. If Dzeko stubs his toe they are down to one other who plays regularly and a bunch of midfielders - Pjanić can score from AM position it should be said.

rob316 wrote: »
    That's terrible, he's the like a Dutch Gerrard. Classy player

He's a good player, but there is only ONE Gerrard.

(Well, except for his cousin, and all his family. And people with the same name but who are not related to him...)

Dickerty wrote: »
    He's a good player, but there is only ONE Gerrard.

(Well, except for his cousin, and all his family. And people with the same name but who are not related to him...)

His playing style is very similar, kind of an all action midfielder. Last summer would have been the time to get him if we wanted him, Roma wont sell him cheap. £30 million plus you would be looking at now I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Miguel Delaney had an article on the ESPN blog which dealt with this very issue. Has happened 12 times in last 40 years that teams had games in hand. 7 out of 12 times the team with the games in hand triumphed - with LFC being the most adept at comebacks!!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/12840?cc=5739
    But the majority of those teams with games in hand could afford a slip-up, losing a game or drawing two and still be clear on top with the outstanding games played.

Man City have no such luxury.

Mourinho spouting sh1te again. He is a broken record now and getting quite tiresome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

pulling up a ridiculous post about Welbeck being comparatively better than Sturridge is hardly binding oneself up, and exposing oneself to a slagging if Utd win.

that slagging would be coming either way. even if Mr Welbeck scores or not.

lets just hope it is us doing the slagging :pac:

but sticking with the Utd game...

It is never usually the obvious players that win these type of games for us (Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard etc) but the likes of the players that one their day make the big difference (Coutinho, Sterling, Allen etc).
    If two out of those three show up we will win, but its a big IF.

/\ this

to be fair i can see someone like hendo getting the goal to win it. or even sterling on the break.

if they can isolate suarez and sturridge while also closing down gerrard and our defence as quick as possible they have a chance of beating us. our defence isnt good enough right now to deal with a potential rooney rvp and mata attack. but of course i dont think their defence is good enough to deal with suarez sturridge sterling hendo and coutinho along with passes from gerrard and runs from flano and glen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Paulegend wrote: »
    if they can isolate suarez and sturridge while also closing down gerrard and our defence as quick as possible they have a chance of beating us.

I really really cannot see United being able to do this. Their midfield is practically immobile.

Liverpool Victory all day long.

(and then lose a couple in the next 9 games of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

free until 2pm - article on a shared stadium

tony barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rob316 wrote: »
    Up to Moyes to out tactic Brendan on Sunday. If they set up to attack that suits our game and we will win. I have seen plenty of them this season and they will seriously struggle against a high pressing counter attack side like us. West Brom's best chance's came from them pressing United high up the pitch and breaking forward. West Brom lacked the blistering pace and high quality attackers we have but the idea was right.

I have no doubt this will be a tough game, united have nothing to loose and will not want to see Liverpool pull away from them even more. They have the individuals to hurt us but we have the team to hurt them.
    If we can get go 2 up early on, Old Trafford will be stunned and silenced and the pressure will pile back onto them and Moyes.

I have read plenty that all the pressure is on Liverpool but I disagree Moyes needs a positive result against us to appease the support and board.

All in all, I cant wait for it. Its going to be a sloberknocker!

While Moyes rightly gets criticised for being too conservative, he'd a be a brave (read stupid) man to try and set them up to attack Liverpool. He has his full strength team to pick, though them playing Olympiakos a couple of days later might see a couple of changes.

It's all about us for me, keep our concentration and keep mistakes to a minimum and we'll get a couple of goals from somewhere!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads, this Manchester United game is probably the biggest we've had in years. If United fail to win, then that removes them from the equation as a top 4 challenger completely in my opinion. If they win though, that leaves 9 games to play with us effectively 9 points ahead. Undoubtedly, we're still in pole position, but that kind of lead is catch-able. My main hope is that this kind of mentality isn't reflected in the team. I think now that United have their full compliment of midfielders and attackers all back and fit, the worst thing we could do is go into the game with the mentality that we only need a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dwayned wrote: »

tony barrett

A curiously pointless article.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I really really cannot see United being able to do this. Their midfield is practically immobile.

Liverpool Victory all day long.

(and then lose a couple in the next 9 games of course!)

yea i cant see them doing it but it is a game against Liverpool. they will all find some sort of a game in them for the 90 mins. but that could be said about both sets of players. the form book means nothing in these games. its pretty much as derby as games can get. as agueroooooo said it will most likely be players that we dont expect to be the heros that will. it could be fellaini or it could be toure.

if we can get a win though i would expect us to go on and thrash cardiff and sunderland (going over for it so i f*cking hope so :D) and then get a convincing win against spurs. spurs will be a different beast than the one ripped apart earlier but i think at anfield we will win by a couple of goals against a team that doesnt score many. if we beat city and chelsea we will win the league imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dwayned wrote: »

tony barrett
    Privately, Liverpool officials scoffed at the suggestion and viewed it as little more than Purslow’s latest attempt to claim the limelight that he craves. Having gleefully accepted his resignation following their takeover of the club in October 2010, Fenway Sports Group (FSG) were not about to veer from their longstanding plans to redevelop Anfield at his behest. A subsequent claim by Tyrrell on Twitter that FSG “have gone for the cheapest option” prompted only derision in the corridors of power at Anfield.

:D Popular chap our Christian!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

United game feels a little similar to Everton game, in terms of recent importance.

Knex. wrote: »
    United game feels a little similar to Everton game, in terms of recent importance.

to be fair the everton game was far more important than a game against the relegation candidates :D

spurs will be a different beast than the one ripped apart earlier

I think recent results against City and Chelsea have proven otherwise. Spurs are still extremely brittle when a team has a go at them, they fall apart very quickly after things go against them and have shown little desire/fight when it happens.

If we start the first 20 minutes of that game like we did against Arsenal and Everton then they will have problems.

But first Utd, keep thinking they are so wounded that they are due to get a big result, and I have this horrible feeling it will be against us

I think recent results against City and Chelsea have proven otherwise. Spurs are still extremely brittle when a team has a go at them, they fall apart very quickly after things go against them and have shown little desire/fight when it happens.

If we start the first 20 minutes of that game like we did against Arsenal and Everton then they will have problems.

But first Utd, keep thinking they are so wounded that they are due to get a big result, and I have this horrible feeling it will be against us

yea im a little nervous about the united game but to be honest i dont think im more nervous than i was about the away clash to southampton considering our record against them. usually the worry about facing united would be a lot bigger.

no matter the result i dont think we should be concerned about them catching us because they wont. (if the beat us) they wont drop 9 points less than us in the 9 remaining games. they could just as easily if not moreso be caught by southampton or newcastle. i think everton will finish ahead of them

no matter the result i dont think we should be concerned about them catching us because they wont. (if the beat us) they wont drop 9 points less than us in the 9 remaining games. they could just as easily if not moreso be caught by southampton or newcastle. i think everton will finish ahead of them

I was looking up moreso than down, don't want to lose any more ground on Chelsea ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We're not playing to night are we?

Haven't you heard? We can't refer to the team we support as 'we', one must refrain from using 'we' and must instead use 'the pool'.

I was looking up moreso than down, don't want to lose any more ground on Chelsea ;)

yea i just keep thinking of it as we need chelsea and city to drop a point each in a silly game somewhere. if we can match their results, beat them at anfield and see them drop a silly point (could be against arsenal) then we could win it.

i was careful about saying it all season but decided in october that if we where with in 10 points of 1st at the end of feb/start of march then id allow myself to believe. we are only 7 points off top with a game in hand. i dont think any of us could have imagined such a scenario. so im allowing myself to get sucked into the dream. im letting myself believe we can do it because the reality is, we can. even if we dont we will have achieved what we set out to this season and thats get champions league footie back at anfield

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement