Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

djPSB wrote: »
    I find it kind of funny that United supporters think they will be able to attract players like Kroos this summer.

I find it infuriating when people think they won't.

Utd are one of the richest clubs in the world. They can afford to pay a bit more to compensate the likes of Kroos for missing out on CL football for a season. All things being equal most players would choose Utd at 150k per week (for arguments sake) but no CL at first over LFC for 120k per week but with CL.

Utd might not sign a top drawer player this summer, but the notion that players won't want to go there is ridiculous. It's not like they are some obscure team or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I find it kind of funny that United supporters think they will be able to attract players like Kroos this summer.

Of course they will one bad year doesn't hurt a team like Utd they can offer the best wages a chance to play for one of the biggest teams in the world in one of the best leagues in the world very few players will turn that down CL or not.

We can only hope we can attract players like that without being able to offer those kind of wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Personally I find it hilarious how some of our fans think that Champions League footy is all that separates us and Man United financially.

Sure we have a glorious history to those of a certain age yes, but United are on a whole different level on a global scale, they are a corporate and footballing juggernaut up there with Barca, Bayern and Real Madrid. One of the big clubs with both tradition and financial clout.

We have the tradition but are languishing far behind them in terms of being able to attract the cream of the crop.

Both clubs are however victims of their own geography however, top players willing to come to England will usually look towards London first, thats if they fancy England at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5starpool wrote: »

Utd are one of the richest clubs in the world. They can afford to pay a bit more to compensate the likes of Kroos for missing out on CL football for a season. All things being equal most players would choose Utd at 150k per week (for arguments sake) but no CL at first over LFC for 120k per week but with CL.

Utd might not sign a top drawer player this summer, but the notion that players won't want to go there is ridiculous. It's not like they are some obscure team or anything.

Its not simple as that.

We all know there is more factors in a players choice while we would love if all players picked there team for footballing reasons they simply don't.

The manager, Location, the weather, does the wife like the shopping all come into play.

Teams like Chelsea, city, Madrid and PSG can financially blow United out of the water and have shown in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any top quality player coming into United is going to ask for pay parity with Rooney, who hasn't performed to a world class standard for a long time. His contract could cost them a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I disagree but time will tell I suppose.

Last summer they had CL football and the best they could do for £30m was Fellaini.

It's not just the lack of the CL, the club as a whole isn't as attractive as an option as it was a few years ago.

I think Moyes is a big problem for them now tbh. If they change manager, and appoint a manager who can attract top class talent, then yes, I can see them being able to attract better players.

But for now, with Moyes at the helm and no CL football, I think there are more attractive clubs out there that can match United financially.

United with DeBoer or someone like that would be alot more dangerous in the transfer market.

By the way, I am not suggesting Moyes should be sacked or anything :p

Any top quality player coming into United is going to ask for pay parity with Rooney, who hasn't performed to a world class standard for a long time. His contract could cost them a fortune.

A player on £300k a week up until he's 34 is absolute lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You even know yourself that what you have posted there is bullshít

Personally I find it hilarious how some of our fans think that Champions League footy is all that separates us and Man United financially.

Sure we have a glorious history to those of a certain age yes, but United are on a whole different level on a global scale, they are a corporate and footballing juggernaut up there with Barca, Bayern and Real Madrid. One of the big clubs with both tradition and financial clout.

We have the tradition but are languishing far behind them in terms of being able to attract the cream of the crop.

Both clubs are however victims of their own geography however, top players willing to come to England will usually look towards London first, thats if they fancy England at all.

Just one thing to note.

I said that I didn't think United would be able attract players like Kroos.

I am not for a minute suggesting we will either.

But if for example, the likes of Madrid, PSG, Barcelona are in for Kroos, then I think United will be wasting their time.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I think it was the BBC that also reported that he has a new clause that also guarantees he is the highest paid player at the club.

I also read that Rooneys contract is a drop in the ocean of projected income over the term of his contract....something like 7%.

I know some may say that is crazy that one player will earn 7% of total income of Man Utd over the next 5yrs, but in some of the richest sports clubs its the norm (eg) in basketball some of their stars earn ~17% of total club income.

the only question is Rooney the right player to give this to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

klose wrote: »
    14 years ago....

297961.jpg

I was mixed in with the home crowd at Highfield Road when he scored his first goal for the club. 3 Asian lads in Turbans behind me leapt up out of their seats celebrating his goal and were put out by the stewards.

Like I said already, time will tell.

We can re-evaluate the situation in September. Just saying I'd be surprised if Kroos or a player of that calibre has signed for United with no CL ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A player on £300k a week up until he's 34 is absolute lunacy.

It's always bizarre when you see performances decline almost straight after these contracts are signed. I still fancy Rooney to have a few top years left in him but it really does seem like a lot.

Albert Pujols springs to mind, he's got a 10 year contract in LA until he's 41 years old, at an average of $480k/week! Ryan Howard is another one, big contract, performances go straight down.

Different sports yes but same point.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

nice input to the discussion.

well done

Utd will always be able to attract big players. However, a mixture of no CL and more worrying(for world class players) David Moyes as manager, will probably mean they fall down the pecking order in some cases.

Any player would have wanted to play for Ferguson who wants to play for Moyes seriously? I'd be surprised if many top players even heard of him.

Who was Brendan Rodgers when he came in? Precisely no one but Liverpool had finished mid table for a number of seasons so we weren't targeting even near the top players.

The top players want to play for Mourinho,Gaurdiola and the like not David Moyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Fergie leaving and Moyes taking over certainly affected Utd's attraction. If Moyes goes and somebody well known throughout Europe comes in they could buy anyone as long as they are willing to spend the cash. However with Moyes there and if there is no CL football it's difficult.

Clattenburg ref for game on Sunday, atleast its not Webb but Clattenburg aint great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

daithijjj wrote: »
    I was mixed in with the home crowd at Highfield Road when he scored his first goal for the club. 3 Asian lads in Turbans behind me leapt up out of their seats celebrating his goal and were put out by the stewards.

I was at Anfield when he made his debut for us, v Sunderland. Won a penalty for us that day. Think Philips scored for them as well, the year he got the golden boot. To this day the Sunderland fans are one of the best I've seen at Anfield. Didnt shut up all game!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rob316 wrote: »
    The top players want to play for Mourinho,Gaurdiola and the like not David Moyes.

There is one way around that and that is to throw so much money at the player that they can't say no. And any top player will want parity (or very close to) Rooney's 300K a week. Even for United that is suddenly a lot of massive contracts to be paying out.

Glad it's not Webb, he's just so poor. Bottler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I see you're still obsessed with us even though you're miles ahead of us. I thought this was the Liverpool thread.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

yomtea98 wrote: »
    I see you're still obsessed with us even though you're miles ahead of us. I thought this was the Liverpool thread.:rolleyes:

More of a coffee man than tea, myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Why are you in it?

Don't mind a cup of tea now and again, certainly not obsessed by it.

Nice with a biscuit on a wet and windy Tuesday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Don't mind a cup of tea now and again, certainly not obsessed by it.

Nice with a biscuit on a wet and windy Tuesday night

What kind of biscuit though? Bourbon creams are my favourites.
    ahhhh, wouldn't mind a cuppa and a couple bourbon creams now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Of course they will one bad year doesn't hurt a team like Utd they can offer the best wages a chance to play for one of the biggest teams in the world in one of the best leagues in the world very few players will turn that down CL or not.

We can only hope we can attract players like that without being able to offer those kind of wages.

The CL is a game changer.

As it is we have a turnover that dwarfs any other team that's not in the CL - I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had a turnover double that of the nearest non-CL team.

Adding CL money as well as a non-insignificant increase in prize money for finishing between 3 and 6 places higher than last season will be a huge increase in revenue for us.
    Coupled with that, you have the latest TV deal which doesn't help us against domestic rivals but dwarfs that which clubs from other countries enjoy gives us a huge amount of financial clout.

We won't be able to compete with City and Chelsea and I wouldn't want us to beggar ourselves trying to do so, but that we were willing to pay Suarez 200k a week would suggest there's a fair bit of muscle there.

Trying to guess what we'll have available in the Summer to spend is daft but there should be a significant amount more than previous seasons, even allowing for our incessant dithering and failure to get our main targets.

It was an easy decision for the likes of Mhktarian to go to Dortmund last summer. If we get top 4 then clubs like Dortmund, Arsenal, Utd, Juventus and Atletico won't look quite as impressive by comparison.
    Not only are we not ****e anymore, but footballers are people too and I'm sure our front four are having as much fun playing the way they are as we are watching it. Other players will relish playing along the likes of Suarez and Sturridge.

Failing to get CL would be an utter catastrophe but I can't possibly imagine we will at this stage. I can't remember the last time I was this optimistic about where we're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Mickalus wrote: »
    What kind of biscuit though? Bourbon creams are my favourites.
    ahhhh, wouldn't mind a cuppa and a couple bourbon creams now.

Worst biscuit ever!!

That picture from the Madrid match brings back some great memories, Anfield was rocking big time!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As Lloyd said earlier, a lot of people in this thread are setting themselves up for having things thrown back in their faces in the high likelyhood that utd sign a great player/beat us on Sunday/finish ahead of us next season again.

Writing off a club who have a turnover far higher than ours because of one bad season so far is very short sighted. Saying that players will choose Madrid/Barca/PSG over Utd due to geographical or other factors is one thing, but much as I don't want it to be the case they are still one of the biggest names around, and a pinnacle for may players.

Gbear wrote: »

As it is we have a turnover that dwarfs any other team that's not in the CL - I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had a turnover double that of the nearest non-CL team.

Adding CL money as well as a non-insignificant increase in prize money for finishing between 3 and 6 places higher than last season will be a huge increase in revenue for us.
    Coupled with that, you have the latest TV deal which doesn't help us against domestic rivals but dwarfs that which clubs from other countries enjoy gives us a huge amount of financial clout.

We won't be able to compete with City and Chelsea and I wouldn't want us to beggar ourselves trying to do so, but that we were willing to pay Suarez 200k a week would suggest there's a fair bit of muscle there.

Trying to guess what we'll have available in the Summer to spend is daft but there should be a significant amount more than previous seasons, even allowing for our incessant dithering and failure to get our main targets.

It was an easy decision for the likes of Mhktarian to go to Dortmund last summer. If we get top 4 then clubs like Dortmund, Arsenal, Utd, Juventus and Atletico won't look quite as impressive by comparison.
    Not only are we not ****e anymore, but footballers are people too and I'm sure our front four are having as much fun playing the way they are as we are watching it. Other players will relish playing along the likes of Suarez and Sturridge.

Failing to get CL would be an utter catastrophe but I can't possibly imagine we will at this stage. I can't remember the last time I was this optimistic about where we're going.

One season of the CL isn't a game changer though just like Utd missing out on it for one season isn't a game changer for them either.

We would be crazy to offer to offer those wages with just one season of CL under our belt.

FSG spend the last 3 years trying to bring down the wage bill because we weren't in the CL now that we get back for one season is not going to change there mind on the wages just yet. What id we buy 4 world class player and pay them the same money as Luis and then fail to get anywhere in the CL this season and miss out on it next season. We are right back where we started.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    They are also linked to players like Pogba and Vidal. Dream on...
    Toni Kroos starts for Bayern why would he go to united?

Who wouldn't want to play alongside world class players like Rooney, Mata, Rvp and Fellani? We are one of the biggest teams in the world and are still a big draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Click on this thread by accident or just in for a snoop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Who wouldn't want to play alongside world class players like Rooney, Mata, Rvp and Fellani? We are one of the biggest teams in the world and are still a big draw.

Fellaini world class? Like in the top 10 midfielders in the world? Really?

Click on this thread by accident or just in for a snoop?

A bit of both really. Didn't mean to come in but when I did I might as well have a look around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

:o:o:o

As Lloyd said earlier, a lot of people in this thread are setting themselves up for having things thrown back in their faces in the high likelyhood that utd sign a great player/beat us on Sunday/finish ahead of us next season again.

Writing off a club who have a turnover far higher than ours because of one bad season so far is very short sighted. Saying that players will choose Madrid/Barca/PSG over Utd due to geographical or other factors is one thing, but much as I don't want it to be the case they are still one of the biggest names around, and a pinnacle for may players.

I fail to see anyone in here writing the club off tbh, you'd have to be a complete idiot to do that. If I have missed someone doing it someone quote it

It's all banter in fairness, sure if we beat Liverpool there'll be jokes but sure pool suppertors have been joking all season. If you can dish it out you should be able to take it as well.

Spurs are 20m behind Liverpool in terms of turnover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This Kroos noise is just to get himself a new contract. Although I wonder if any players would get bored playing in Germany for Munich.

Champions
    1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2012–13, 2013-14

You named one world class player there two excellent footballers but not world class and one ok PL player there. The term world class is used way to easy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Sure who wouldnt love playing with RVP. Rooney certainly does, are they up to two passes to each other per game yet?

• Advertisement

One season of the CL isn't a game changer though just like Utd missing out on it for one season isn't a game changer for them either.

We would be crazy to offer to offer those wages with just one season of CL under our belt.

FSG spend the last 3 years trying to bring down the wage bill because we weren't in the CL now that we get back for one season is not going to change there mind on the wages just yet. What id we buy 4 world class player and pay them the same money as Luis and then fail to get anywhere in the CL this season and miss out on it next season. We are right back where we started.

While I agree to an extent, at a certain point that's a lack of ambition.
    We need to consolidate next season. To do that we can't hope the season will pan out exactly the same but we'll limp along with a couple of new signings.

If you look at players like Coutinho, Henderson, Enrique that we have signed, or all the potential signings from around Europe, we can comfortably afford to significantly increase their wages without gambling our future.
    We don't need to be able to pay every new signing 150k+ a week but I feel that if the right player came along we could go that high without putting ourselves under any real strain.

The problems that FSG had to clean up were the criminal overpaying of wages to players that were often ****e - only Johnson is left of that batch (100k a week is ludicrous for a FB who spends half the season injured and hasn't played well in about a year).

Paying a 80k a week to a Dirk Kuyt isn't a problem. Paying 80k a week to Stewart ****ing Downing is.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Sure who wouldnt love playing with RVP. Rooney certainly does, are they up to two passes to each other per game yet?

There will be plenty of passes to each other Sunday, mainly around the centre circle. At least 5

Spurs are 20m behind Liverpool in terms of turnover

They don't get to sell Gareth Bale every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Fellaini world class? Like in the top 10 midfielders in the world? Really?

There's more than 10 world class midfielders in the world.

They don't get to sell Gareth Bale every year.

It was 21m the year before, before they sold Bale

padd b1975 wrote: »
    There's more than 10 world class midfielders in the world.

I disagree, and even if there was, Fellaini wouldn't be in that top 10.

Deloitte Rich list (vis Wiki)

Forbes Rich list (via Wiki)

According to both of them the difference is 70m.

No they sold Modric that year. :pac:

I disagree, and even if there was, Fellaini wouldn't be in that top 10.

Well what is world class?

• Advertisement

Deloitte Rich list (vis Wiki)

Forbes Rich list (via Wiki)

According to both of them the difference is 70m.

That's revenue

You said turnover and Spurs have been only around 20m behind Liverpool for the past two seasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement