Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Fellaini is better than Gerrard in the same way that Assaidi is better than Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I really hope Gerrard doesn't get sent off and Fellaini ends up nodding in the winner after breaking Skrtel's face with an elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

you just know it will be fellaini setting welbeck up for his third :D

and then they wake up in each others arms realising they just got their asses handed to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Augmerson wrote: »
    Looks like.....could it be???? It's Mig!

Nah he would punch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Has the average age of posters dwindled over the last couple days?

Embarrasing lads.. he's better.. no he is .

We are better then utd currently.. thats what counts.

No debate required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

barone wrote: »
    Has the average age of posters dwindled over the last couple days?

Embarrasing lads.. he's better.. no he is .

We are better then utd currently.. thats what counts.

No debate required.

no your younger

Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Enjoy :D

http://lockerdome.com/footballnews1/6170047139808833/6427780141304084

Also, Liverpool 08/09 v Liverpool now. Who'd win? I'm edging towards that 08 team, primarily for the midfield and a peak Gerrard, but I feel if they played 10 times, it would end up 5 wins each, or 4 and 6. Obviously the defence now is a concern.

I'd take that team over the current one.

Better team overall imo.

Our attack now is more potent but midfield and defence not as strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Knex. wrote: »

Also, Liverpool 08/09 v Liverpool now. Who'd win? I'm edging towards that 08 team, primarily for the midfield and a peak Gerrard, but I feel if they played 10 times, it would end up 5 wins each, or 4 and 6. Obviously the defence now is a concern.

The defence back then wasn't a whole lot stronger on paper.

Two completely different but equally effective systems.

Yeah, I suppose if you take the shield that was Masch and Alosno out of that team, that back 4 isn't as solid looking.

Completely different set ups, you're dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

08 / 09 team was superior. Deeper squad that was challenging for a League title as well as being a leading contender for the CL.

- Reina at that stage was one of the better goalkeepers in the world;
    - Arbeloa / Aurelio were far superior fullback options to what we're currently lining up;
    - Peak Carragher / Skrtel / Agger / Hyppia were all dependable at that time;
    - Midfield was victory city;
    - Torres was beasting at that stage of his career but the current options are superior overall. That said, Kuyt was an underrated big game performer that offered something we could still use from time to time;
    - Management wise...:);

We're enjoying a tremendous season thus far driven by an unbelievable central performer in Suarez, ably aided by Sturridge, Hendo and Gerrard. We've been blessed with injuries and suspensions and are brittle overall against a relatively light fixture schedule. In 08 / 09 we were a couple of key players away from becoming the best around. We were closer to the true mountaintop than we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    08 / 09 team was superior. Deeper squad that was challenging for a League title as well as being a leading contender for the CL.

- Arbeloa / Aurelio were far superior fullback options to what we're currently lining up;
    - Torres was beasting at that stage of his career but the current options are superior overall. That said, Kuyt was an underrated big game performer that offered something we could still use from time to time;

We're enjoying a tremendous season thus far driven by an unbelievable central performer in Suarez, ably aided by Sturridge, Hendo and Gerrard. We've been blessed with injuries and suspensions and are brittle overall against a relatively light fixture schedule. In 08 / 09 we were a couple of key players away from becoming the best around. We were closer to the true mountaintop than we are now.

We're very close to the pinnacle alright, a healthy squad for the run in will be critical, but i'm delighted that both our Strikers are on from, back in 08-09 there was a heavy reliance on Torres for the goals.

If we can beat UTD sunday its a massive hurdle crossed for us.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd take that team over the current one.

Better team overall imo.

Our attack now is more potent but midfield and defence not as strong.

Yep better balanced team overall, but feck me imagine having Suarez, Sturridge and Torres as a strike force, and maybe another two of our current creative players in that team. :eek:

again I will say it...

if we could add a similar type player to Masch (easier said than done I know) then we aint too far off that balance we crave ,and then add over the the coming seasons to a relatively young squad and we could be back to that '08 squad potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i agree with everyting else
    but wouldn't say we have been blessed with Injuries
    Sturridge,Gerrard,Coutinho,Johnson,Enrique,Sakho,Agger,Allen have been out a while with Injuries & Suarez missed first 5 league games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blessed with injuries? - Sturridge missed 9 games, the back line has been a mix and match all season. The middle has been missing Allen and Lucas for about 20 games* between them.

*random guess

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As long as Suarez stays fit we have been blessed with injuries ;)

5starpool wrote: »

:)

5starpool wrote: »

LOL so simple but so true :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The 08/09 team was much stronger. It was more experienced, more solid and was the culmination of 5 years of squad building.

This team is younger and is only in the second season of a big rebuild. It is better in attack but significantly worse in defense and midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As much as I love this team, the 08/09 were on another level, Liverpool were hammering United and Real Madrid in 08/09 I just don't think this team could do that yet. We are at the same point as we were in 08/09, just missing a few bits of quality in certain positions. The difference now is we have proper owners, who will splash cash where they can.
    It was heart breaking to see that team broken up as we really were on the cusp of something special. A proper second striker not David Ngog would have turned those draws into a couple of wins, no doubt.
    I always have a feeling though that team peaked then, Gerrard and Torres were never the same. I feel there is so much more to come from the current side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Cracking run and set-up by Canos for DTS in the U18s game v United -

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/liverpool-starlet-sergi-canos-pulled-off-a-brilliant-assist-for-daniel-trickett-smith-to-score-v-man-united-u18s/

I hope he can show some form in the latter stages of the season for U18, he's been doing great for the Spain U19s, I think this was definately a bedding-in season for him. The U21s need a out-and-out striker since Morgan left, so it's between him and Sinclair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I don't get why people are comparing the teams . I mean they are both different when you look at them .
    Rafas team where set out to be clinical game winners that where always set up very well tactically .
    BR's team seems to be more of a team that's set up to do damage . Players just swamp forward .
    Rafas team where a special bunch but you can say the same about BR's team . The spine of BR's team is also a lot younger . Suarez , Sturrigde , Henderson , Coutinho , Sakho and Mignolet will all be LFC players for the next 5 -8 years at least . So BR does have time on his side .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Rafa's team were at their peak and fell apart shortly after.

Rodgers team has still alot of scope for improvement and won't disintegrate as quick as Rafas. Keeping Suarez is a must though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liam O wrote: »
    When did I say Welbeck was better than Sturridge? You got a lot of thanks though I guess.

Fellaini is better than Gerrard, he's been overrun many times this season and provided little help to the back 4. Received a lot of criticism in here too. Fellaini has been in the Belgium team for years and starred on a team that finished above Liverpool last season. But sure go hunting for more thanks.
    I keep seeing this he is in the Belgian team argument for Fellani to justify he must be a great player. Granted Belgium have a great team but who is fellani playing ahead of? I wouldn't imagine they have the depth to their squad of most of the other big nations. If you look at gerrard think of the players he has kept out of the England squad over the years and is currently selected ahead of the likes of carrick and barry who I would rate at the same level as fellani.
    Fellani is better than gerrard at heading the ball apart from that there is no contest. Gerrards short and long passing is on another planet to fellani's, and Id also rate gerrard higher than fellani in every other area of midfield play. Fellani had his most effective season last year playing in a position he will never play in for utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rafa's team, at its peak, had very few weaknesses. They often struggled to beat teams that put 11 players behind the ball, but this is something that Rodger's teams would not do. They are exactly the type of team that Rodger's side would struggle against. However, that was year 4 or 5 of the Rafa project, Rodgers is only in year 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I keep seeing this he is in the Belgian team argument for Fellani to justify he must be a great player. Granted Belgium have a great team but who is fellani playing ahead of? I wouldn't imagine they have the depth to their squad of most of the other big nations. If you look at gerrard think of the players he has kept out of the England squad over the years and is currently selected ahead of the likes of carrick and barry who I would rate at the same level as fellani.
    Fellani is better than gerrard at heading the ball apart from that there is no contest. Gerrards short and long passing is on another planet to fellani's, and Id also rate gerrard higher than fellani in every other area of midfield play. Fellani had his most effective season last year playing in a position he will never play in for utd.

Not really comparing like for like though are you. I wouldn't describe Gerrard as a defensive midfielder. Carrick, Barry and Fellaini are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I've been one of Gerrard's biggest critics this season, but seeing someone say Fellaini is better than him is very good.

LiamO, go away and have an oul word with yourself.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

djPSB wrote: »
    Rafa's team were at their peak and fell apart shortly after.

Rodgers team has still alot of scope for improvement and won't disintegrate as quick as Rafas. Keeping Suarez is a must though.

How can you be sure that it won't disintegrate? I know you say keeping Suarez is a must, but if we lose him, buy players that don't integrate well, Sturridge gets injured for a longer period, Gerrard will be 34 next season. I'm not saying anything will happen like that, but it's not an impossible scenario (or something like it).

There is also the possibility that we can't cope well with playing in the CL as well as everything else and next season is a disappointment leading to Rodgers leaving or getting the bullet. We will do well to match the league performance so far again next season, and I don't think Rodgers will leave/get pushed, but who knows? Did anyone think at the end of the 08/09 season that it would all come crashing down so fast for a team that had just got 86 points and been one of the most consistent teams in the CL over the previous few seasons?

I know the ownership situation was a big contributing factor to the downfall, but we can't see the future, and to state something like the above with certainty is folly.

I am very hopeful that we will play the same type of football with similar effectiveness next season, even with (hopefully) CL football to add to the mix. We may well be upgrading on a number of positions throughout the team, such as full backs, maybe another new CB, possibly someone in Coutinho's position.

As things stand, unless there is an outgoing player from one of Sterling/Suarez/Sturridge, I would be more than happy with them as the main attackers in the side on a regular basis, with Borini/Coutinho/A.N. Other as the main support for those positions, and that's even without adding Suso to that mix if he can be persuaded to hang around.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not really comparing like for like though are you. I wouldn't describe Gerrard as a defensive midfielder. Carrick, Barry and Fellaini are.

he is now though and has been playing that role for england. Gerrard is better than fellani in all 3 midfield roles anyway IMO and its laughable to say that fellani is a better player than gerrard. Thats even with fellani in his prime and gerrard coming to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The great strength Rafa's team had is evident in the difficulty in identifying who was the most important player. Most would obviously say Gerrard, Torres or Alonso, but beyond that there was still real quality, Masch and Reina in particular and to a lesser extent Carragher.

Looking at the present team, there's no argument, its Suarez, beyond whom there are numerous good players but few if any who could justifiably challange for their place in any club side in Europe.

What's worrying is (and I appreciate there were other issues at the time) how quickly Rafa's side diminished despite the level of quality right through the spine, which looking at the present side, should serve as a caution towards long term optimism

he is now though and has been playing that role for england. Gerrard is better than fellani in all 3 midfield roles anyway IMO and its laughable to say that fellani is a better player than gerrard. Thats even with fellani in his prime and gerrard coming to the end.

Except he's not, he's a deep lying playmaker like Alonso was. Fellaini is still young with a lot to prove. He's barley had any games for us yet. It's a bit early to judge how good he actually is especially when we have 0 good talent to play alongside him in that link up role.

Throw the likes of Kroos or Vidal beside him and see how he gets on.

If you want to compare Gerrard to a United player compare him to Scholes, the last decent player we had who played a similar role. We all know who was better there right?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Except he's not, he's a deep lying playmaker like alonso was. Fellaini is still young with a lot to prove. He's barley had any games for us yet. It's a bit early to judge how good he actually is especially when we have 0 good talent to play alongside him in that link up role.

Throw the likes of Kroos or Vidal beside him and see how he gets on.

If you want to compare Gerrard to a United player compare him to Scholes, the last decent player we had who played a similar role. We all know who was better there right?

I do think scholes was better than gerrard but this isnt the discussion. How anyone can think fellani is anywhere near gerrard is beyond me. BTW fellani is 27 this year compare his career to gerrards at that age take off your utd tinted glasses off you and reassess your opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The great strength Rafa's team had is evident in the difficulty in identifying who was the most important player. Most would obviously say Gerrard, Torres or Alonso, but beyond that there was still real quality, Masch and Reina in particular and to a lesser extent Carragher.

Looking at the present team, there's no argument, its Suarez, beyond whom there are numerous good players but few if any who could justifiably challange for their place in any club side in Europe.

What's worrying is (and I appreciate there were other issues at the time) how quickly Rafa's side diminished despite the level of quality right through the spine, which looking at the present side, should serve as a caution towards long term optimism

The most important player in Rafa's team was always Stevie. He set the tone, provided the ammunition for Torres, scored goals, pulled us up by the scruff. Masc and Alonso were never that type of player.
    Torres obviously carried us with his goals, but when Stevie wasn't player, Torres was a lesser player. The same couldn't be said vice versa.

Suarez is very important now, but as we showed in the spells when he is out, we CAN do well without him. We were top when he came back into the team, albeit on a kind run of games...

It's a silly comparison anyway.

One is a defensive midfielder who had a short and successful stint as a number 10.

The other was an attacking midfielder who is now a deep lying playmaker.

I never said Fellaini was better than Gerrard. I just think you can't compare them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't think we've been that lucky discipline wise, we've a much better disciplinary record than any of our rivals and there hasn't been that many debatable decisions for red, Gerrard against Arsenal in the cup and Skrtel's bear hugs for penalties aside. A good record like that is earned.

It will come in very handy in the run in. I've noticed Gerrard and Henderson take a couple of yellows to slow down counter attacks recently. They can do that now because nobody is in danger of suspensions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Did someone actually say Fellaini is better than Gerrard or am I picking things up wrong?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Did someone actually say Fellaini is better than Gerrard or am I picking things up wrong?

I don't know. Do you lift with your back or your legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Agueroooo wrote: »

Yeah best left ignored.

djPSB wrote: »
    Did I read your post wrong or are you implying that Fellaini is better than Gerrard?
    Liam O wrote: »
    He is.

• Advertisement

Ah fair play, Lloyd. Clearing up the confusion for us all.

Llyod and his Man United hate is just the gift that keeps giving. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't know. Do you lift with your back or your legs?

Probably lifts with his knees

WOW

8-10 wrote: »
    Probably lifts with his knees

I think you've confused him with Jordan Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

fellaini better than gerrard?

Jaysus. Wept.

Dickerty wrote: »
    The most important player in Rafa's team was always Stevie. He set the tone, provided the ammunition for Torres, scored goals, pulled us up by the scruff. Masc and Alonso were never that type of player.
    Torres obviously carried us with his goals, but when Stevie wasn't player, Torres was a lesser player. The same couldn't be said vice versa.

Suarez is very important now, but as we showed in the spells when he is out, we CAN do well without him. We were top when he came back into the team, albeit on a kind run of games...

While I agree Gerrard was the most important player back then, it was Alonso and Masch's role that accommodated Gerrard's role. He player further forward then in previous seasons, and hence wasn't as central to everything as he had been previously.

Irrespective though, the point remains that Suarez is far more important to the team now then Gerrard was then, which makes us quiet fragile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

my friend thinks rooney is better than suarez and that rooney is easily the best player in the premier league.

just though i would share that joke with you guys because i had a good chuckle when he told me tis morning :L

The only thing In Fellaini's favour is age, relative to Gerrard. I rate Fellaini highly, but Gerrard is still the better player. I would swap though, but again that's down to Fellaini being likely to offer more over the next three/four years then Gerrard will be able to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The only thing In Fellaini's favour is age, relative to Gerrard. I rate Fellaini highly, but Gerrard is still the better player. I would swap though, but again that's down to Fellaini being likely to offer more over the next three/four years then Gerrard will be able to

Blasphemy!
    Ex Everton and current United player....... for Gerrard! pffffffffffffttt!

• Advertisement

He wouldn't be contending with Gerrard for his position though. He would be taking Lucas or Allens place.

Is he better than either of them? IMO yes he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement