Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The only thing In Fellaini's favour is age, relative to Gerrard. I rate Fellaini highly, but Gerrard is still the better player. I would swap though, but again that's down to Fellaini being likely to offer more over the next three/four years then Gerrard will be able to
    I think you are leaving out the most important thing in Fellainis favour.

His hair.

Its simply magnificent.

It should really have its own squad number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

8-10 wrote: »
    Probably lifts with his knees

Well I know one person who won't be employing him then. Working from the knees might cause him issues in later life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Mickalus wrote: »
    Blasphemy!
    Ex Everton and current United player....... for Gerrard! pffffffffffffttt!

Ah, it's forgivable as long as he keeps the 'fro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Fellaini stoodout most when he was being used as a beanpole for Everton to launch balls at his chest, so not sure how people are championing him as a DM, he had a good game against utd once when he took the ball on his chest about 10 times, this must have left an imprint in utd fans minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

5live wrote: »
    I think you are leaving out the most important thing in Fellainis favour.

His hair.

Its simply magnificent.

It should really have its own squad number.

Ah now, you youngsters... I remember Alexei Lalas when his hair was in its prime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Ah now, you youngsters... I remember Alexei Lalas when his hair was in its prime.

Don't forget Carlos Valderrama!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

RainMaker wrote: »
    Don't forget Carlos Valderrama!

Kev:
    1530350_display_image.jpg?1310158361

Taribo West:
    taribo_west.jpg

But my all time favourite.... Jason Lee. All because of the song...
    He's got a pineapple on his head!

Worst-Haircuts-Jason-Lee-300x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Apparently Taribo West is still playing under the alias Bacary Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Fellaini stoodout most when he was being used as a beanpole for Everton to launch balls at his chest, so not sure how people are championing him as a DM, he had a good game against utd once when he took the ball on his chest about 10 times, this must have left an imprint in utd fans minds.

In fairness defensive midfielders rarely stand out. It's probably the most under appreciated position on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

MarkY91 wrote: »
    my friend thinks rooney is better than suarez and that rooney is easily the best player in the premier league.

just though i would share that joke with you guys because i had a good chuckle when he told me tis morning :L

Well the thing about that is that Rooney is a world class player and has proved it over many years. He is not as good as Suarez IMO but at least there is something to talk about compared to Fellaini V Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I'll see your Alexei Lalas and raise you the entire playing squads of the 1978 world cup;).

I had forgotten about Lalas:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

gafferino wrote: »
    Well the thing about that is that Rooney is a world class player and has proved it over many years. He is not as good as Suarez IMO but at least there is something to talk about compared to Fellaini V Gerrard.

yes of course. i dont doubt rooneys talent. he is amazing but my friend is deluded into thinking that rooney is literally the while pele lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

5starpool wrote: »
    How can you be sure that it won't disintegrate? I know you say keeping Suarez is a must, but if we lose him, buy players that don't integrate well, Sturridge gets injured for a longer period, Gerrard will be 34 next season. I'm not saying anything will happen like that, but it's not an impossible scenario (or something like it).

There is also the possibility that we can't cope well with playing in the CL as well as everything else and next season is a disappointment leading to Rodgers leaving or getting the bullet. We will do well to match the league performance so far again next season, and I don't think Rodgers will leave/get pushed, but who knows? Did anyone think at the end of the 08/09 season that it would all come crashing down so fast for a team that had just got 86 points and been one of the most consistent teams in the CL over the previous few seasons?

I know the ownership situation was a big contributing factor to the downfall, but we can't see the future, and to state something like the above with certainty is folly.

I am very hopeful that we will play the same type of football with similar effectiveness next season, even with (hopefully) CL football to add to the mix. We may well be upgrading on a number of positions throughout the team, such as full backs, maybe another new CB, possibly someone in Coutinho's position.

As things stand, unless there is an outgoing player from one of Sterling/Suarez/Sturridge, I would be more than happy with them as the main attackers in the side on a regular basis, with Borini/Coutinho/A.N. Other as the main support for those positions, and that's even without adding Suso to that mix if he can be persuaded to hang around.

Time will tell I suppose.

One thing that has changed in our favour though, is that it seems the manager and owners will do their utmost to hold onto our best players.

They won't be let leave as easily as Masch, Alonso and Torres were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

djPSB wrote: »
    Time will tell I suppose.

One thing that has changed in our favour though, is that it seems the manager and owners will do their utmost to hold onto our best players.

They won't be let leave as easily as Masch, Alonso and Torres were.

Who went to Barca, Madrid and Chelsea respectively and have garnered multiple league and champions league winner medals between them since their departure.

We'll see what happens when a real club comes in for Suarez.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Who went to Barca, Madrid and Chelsea respectively and have garnered multiple league and champions league winner medals between them since their departure.

I think he's here to stay.
    That new contract, Henry's admittance of the £40 mil clause that Arsenal triggered but Liverpool wouldn't budge on.

I think only a crazy stupid amount of £100 mil + would be tempting for the owners, and even then, only if replacements were got up front ala Spurs and Bale.

I think that Bale scenario showed them that it isn't really worth it to sell your best asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

nah stop being all pc. rooney is rubish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I think Real are probably out of the question, so I think we have a great chance of keeping him if we make the CL.

I think he has priced himself out of most club's reaches. A few exceptions:
    Real - have Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema all performing. Are going to win La Liga, so probably won't feel the need to spend 70/80 million in the summer

Barcelona - I suppose they might panic buy in the summer if the season doesn't end well, but they've Neymar, Pedro, Sanchez and Messi up front so that may not be the area they look to strengthen.

Bayern - Lewandowski signing in the summer

PSG - Ibra and Cavani

Monaco - not a real club

Italy - doubt it

England - JH says no

I think he is staying.

I think Real are probably out of the question, so I think we have a great chance of keeping him if we make the CL.

Real - have Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema all performing. Are going to win La Liga, so probably won't feel the need to spend 70/80 million in the summer

Barcelona - I suppose they might panic buy in the summer if the season doesn't end well, but they've Neymar, Pedro, Sanchez and Messi up front so that may not be the area they look to strengthen.

PSG - Ibra and Cavani

Monaco - not a real club

Italy - doubt it

England - JH says no

I think he is staying.

Que man city 120 million bid

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Paulegend wrote: »

you may jest but I think Pellegrini would love Suarez.

the question is would the board back him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Didn't you hear, they're gonna bid a squllion for Messi

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    you may jest but I think Pellegrini would love Suarez.

the question is would the board back him?

to be honest i wouldnt totally rule out a bid being made. we have seen that city are willing to pay almost anything for a player. if they missed out on the premier league, they might be willing to go all out to sign the top scorer who will likely be suarez. last summer there was a rumour that a bale bid came from manchester and united said it wasnt them (but that was probably just talk to be fair). hopefully JH will resist even the most flattering of offers

although if man city agreed to fund a new 100,000 seater stadium and give us kompany in exchange for suarez.....................:D one can dream

Didn't you hear, they're gonna bid a squllion for Messi

jesus between them bidding crazy amounts and then arsenal with their supposed 150 million and uniteds 200 million, this summer is going to be a pricey one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

PSG - Ibra and Cavani

Monaco - not a real club

Italy - doubt it

England - JH says no

I think he is staying.

I would never rule out Madrid.

Their transfer policy is not a well thought case of improving arguably weakened areas.

It is a case of buying the latest hottest shiny new thing to hit football.

They are the spoiled brat of football. A spoiled brat does not think about what he needs.

Suarez having a big WC could be a factor too.

Other than that I agree with your post and if I had to call it now I'd be reasonably confident of him being a Liverpool player come September.

But I won't rule out a big money move to Madrid, definitely not

PSG - Ibra and Cavani

Monaco - not a real club

Italy - doubt it

England - JH says no

I think he is staying.

Ah dont know about all that. I could easily see Madrid/Barca coming in form him. Teams like that want the best players regardless of who they have....particularly Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Real will sell Benzema in the summer to someone like Chelsea or Monaco.

im much more confident this year that we can keep him. we are making progress. things are looking good in terms of squad moral. the team is actually over shooting their mere expectation of challenging for 4th, and while we may not win the league, to actually compete for it was beyond all imagination. so we look like we will at least have champions league next year and with a little investment we might have a team next year that can challenge on all fronts. we can still win the league this year which would keep him no doubt but to give him a glimmer of hope that we can eventually do it might pursued him to stay.

if he still wants to move so be it for the right price. however this year things look a lot more appealing in terms of sticking around. we are proving we arent just a mid table side

mike65 wrote: »
    Real will sell Benzema in the summer to someone like Chelsea or Monaco.

benzema plus 50 million for suarez?? :o

I dont know how it hasn't dawned on me til now but the upcoming weekend could be absolutely huge for us when you look at the fixtures.

or

equally frustrating.

Liverpool and Arsenal win and the Top 4 will be a group on its own (assuming City don't flop against Hull), Utd and Spurs win and people will be panicking!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool and Arsenal win and the Top 4 will be a group on its own, Utd and Spurs win and people will be panicking!

and if Liverpool and Spurs win ?

and if Liverpool and Spurs win ?

Then its as you were for the top 4 but with a hint of third place!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

A bit more than a hint.

That would be the ideal scenario with Arsenal now being the team looking behind them while we can focus on the top 2.

I'm hoping for an Arsenal win.

Being realistic, considering Arsenals run in and our run in, I think we'll at least match if not better their results over the next 10 games.

Being optimistic, I'm hoping a good run of form for Arsenal will see them take a point at Chelsea, meaning we can overtake Chelsea when we beat them at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Madrid will sell Benzema in the summer and go or either Suarez or Aguero i think. Then it may come down to which club blinks first City or Liverpool if it's City I could see them then try for Suarez. But I do think Suarez will stay if a move to Madrid isn't on for him.

If Madrid come knocking with between £60mil-£100mil then Suarez is gone. CL or not.

the only thing up for discussion will be how much he goes for.

• Advertisement

If Madrid come knocking with between £60mil-£100mil then Suarez is gone. CL or not.

You know this for certain because........???

of course I dont know this FFS.

do I need to put 'imo' beside everything?

aint public forums just collections of peoples opinions?

i think if they match what liverpool want he will go. JH has shown he doesnt give a f*ck what players want. if they match what liverpool are thinking is his value he will go regardless of CL. although a premier league winners medal could change that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Because this thread only deals in facts, pure speculation is below us.......oh wait just mixed those up again!

i think if they match what liverpool want he will go. JH has shown he doesnt give a f*ck what players want. if they match what liverpool are thinking is his value he will go regardless of CL. although a premier league winners medal could change that

If we get CL and Madrid bid our valuation he will go and the club will say something like 'Luis has been a great servant and ultimately helped LFC get back into the CL'

If we get CL and another team bid but not to our (or Luis) liking the club will say something like 'Luis is here cause he loves LFC and wants to help push us on for CL honours'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is it everytime for the last year I drop in here people are talking about Suarez leaving?

What does he have to do to convince people he's staying?

Signing new long term contract and CL football not enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is it everytime for the last year I drop in here people are talking about Suarez leaving?

What does he have to do to convince people he's staying?

I'd rather that than Gerrard v Fellaini :rolleyes:

murpho999 wrote: »

good question.

but I think if its Madrid (a team he has spoken of his affection for on many occasions) I reckon all bets are off if they meet a buy-out-clause, or club valuation.

he will push again for a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Use IMO or if not at least back up such statements with reason.

you sounded so sure, I thought you might have been "ITK"... you know? :D

I don't see it happening. 99%
    1% of me says >£100 mil might persuade them.

Use IMO or if not at least back up such statements with reason.

read on.

Lads I got this.....

Arsenal and Utd will win easily.

voodoo_witch_doctor___raventon_curse_by_creamyrainbow-d5kvm9l.gif

Lads I got this.....

Arsenal and Utd will win easily.

'Don't worry about failure you only have to be right once' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Who is going to start the match thread???....we have a couple of lads with good winning streaks...they have a couple with good losing streaks.

I vote BMNC.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement