Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Motd2 on in a minute...anyone for popcorn??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

donfers wrote: »
    Is it unprecedented to bring a side that finished the previous season in 8th (or lower) into a genuine title challenge the following season?

I believe it is gentlemen but I am open to correction on that matter so do your research and confirm or deny the motion

What about turning champions into an 8th place team or lower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So, what are the chances we've got another manager the sack?

I'm hoping for at least another season of the chosen one in charge. This season has been mental!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Match of the Day after we've tonked United
    A takeaway
    A much needed can of Heineken
    This is what Sunday nights are all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

So, what are the chances we've got another manager the sack?

We didn't get 4 so he's safe for another week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Before MotS2, this is (can't believe I'm posting this) what a title run in looks like, missing Sunderland and another City game due to rescheduling. Unlikely Spurs will be in the EC much longer, but included anyway.

[img][/img]http://www.wthax.org/image/106307

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

My memory isn't the best at the minute, When was the last time we did the double over them?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

There's some X rated stuff on BBC 1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Motd2 on in a minute...anyone for popcorn??

Popcorn?? I'm getting the Kleenex!!

K-9 wrote: »
    Before MotS2, this is (can't believe I'm posting this) what a title run in looks like, missing Sunderland and another City game due to rescheduling. Unlikely Spurs will be in the EC much longer, but included anyway.

[img][/img]http://www.wthax.org/image/106307

I said it earlier, we could be top of the table by next Wednesday night. Get that and beat Spurs the following weekend and I genuinely think we will win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

My memory isn't the best at the minute, When was the last time we did the double over them?

2002 I think. When we finished 2nd under Houllier

Teehee.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Is this a dream lads, can't believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

niallo27 wrote: »
    What about turning champions into an 8th place team or lower.

Match of the day is starting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

some ball from sturridge for the third

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Match of the Day after we've tonked United
    A takeaway
    A much needed can of Heineken
    This is what Sunday nights are all about.

Wee Brenda isn't home yet but in a few months you will be glad of a Liverpool win and a good nights sleep:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

donfers wrote: »
    Is it unprecedented to bring a side that finished the previous season in 8th (or lower) into a genuine title challenge the following season?

I believe it is gentlemen but I am open to correction on that matter so do your research and confirm or deny the motion

Nottingham Forrest were promoted in 1977
    They won the title in 1978
    They won the European Cup in 1979 and 1980.

(I think that they are the only side to have won more European titles than domestic titles.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm almost believing.

I'm scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Rodgers is undoubtedly manager of the season, regardless of whether Liverpool claim the league title or not. Fair play to him, I used to think he was a clown.
    I was of course well wrong.

David Moyes has to be in the running as well. Doing a super job at Old Trafford. All credit to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

monkey9 wrote: »
    David Moyes has to be in the running as well. Doing a super job at Old Trafford. All credit to him.

wahey!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Over United? We definitely did it in 08/09 anyway.

I think we did the double over United in 08/09, the 4-1 season.

Think I heard a commentator say Everton was the last club to go from 7th to 1st.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

tok9 wrote: »
    Over United? We definitely did it in 08/09 anyway.

Ah yes, 2-1 at Anfield in September 08. Babel got the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Moyes looks to have aged about 20 years in the last couple of months

A great result today. Delighted is an understatement.

For me, this is the best result I have seen since Clough(2) and Ruddock equalised for us after being 3 nil down some 20 years ago.

Csrdiff next, can't wait.

Y.N.W.A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Moyes looks to have aged about 20 years in the last couple of months

moyes-panini-e1382779047131.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Bowlardo wrote: »
    some ball from sturridge for the third

Really cloaked the pass, so smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Often this season Liverpool's play has resembled a series of small explosions as the ball has pinged from one player to another at speed and from many angles to bamboozle the opposing defenders but today Liverpool "rope a doped" Manchester Utd.

They absorbed the Utd midfield with quick interceptions and tackles and drew the Utd forwards into that battle as they sought the ball then on the turnover LFC moved it into Utds defensive third and made runs off the central defenders. Its something that the visitors could have done all day and I don't think Moyes would have worked out how to defeat the tactic.

I like David Moyes.

Top top manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

moyes-panini-e1382779047131.jpg

moyes.jpg

#seamless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

After the game

Bi3WwmeIUAEEW22.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

5live wrote: »
    A great result today. Delighted is an understatement.

For me, this is the best result I have seen since Clough(2) and Ruddock equalised for us after being 3 nil down some 20 years ago.

Csrdiff next, can't wait.

Y.N.W.A.

I remember that so well. In Heathrow with a walkman, one ear phone in my ear the other in a bar maids, listening to 5live (or whatever it was at the time), priceless night, I was heading back to Isreal on the way to Lebanon. where I bought the tape of the match for $40 (it was an auction for charity), best $40 I ever spent (unless I dont count that time in Netanya). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Well started this to see how we were doing in relation to a quest for 4th and 2ppg.

Never though that with 9 matches left that target would be basically sewn up.

Not sure if the table is as relevant now as essentially the target for every game now is 3 points, without exception.

But anyway, still takes into account fixture difficulty. From last week:

Morzadec wrote: »
    1. Chelsea: +8
    2. City: +3.5
    3. Liverpool: +2.5
    4. Arsenal: +1.5
    5. Spurs: -4.5
    6. Everton: -5.5
    7. United -7.5

Updated:

1. Chelsea: +6
    2. City: +4.5
    3. Liverpool: +4.5
    4. Arsenal: +3.5

5. Everton: -6
    6. Spurs: -6.5
    7. United -7.5

Clearly 2 tiers at the top now - a 4 horse race in which we are in joint 2nd position.

A massive turnaround from last week where Chelsea looked in a commanding position. We're right on their tails now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

Finally home..... god that was some day...its one of those games that you know you should win...but you just cant really convince yourself that you will before hand....
    I was lucky enough to be there today, and even though I couldn't stand up and dance....( god I so wanted to), the one thing that really struck me was the whole togetherness of the team... I've been a wee bit doubtful about how well suarez and sturidge really got on...was there a wee bit of jealously???
    but after today I am convinced that both of these two fellas are really pulling in the same direction...the self belief was evident today that this squad really can win the title...sure ive always hoped, and I suppose started to really believe only a few weeks back, but when you see an entire club and its supporters really believe that its possible to get back on top, to finish as champions.....its special.
    I remember listening to James Lawton on the evening of Istanbul..talking about destiny and a red sky over Istanbul...and the spirit of a club carrying a team to its destiny...and well I feel the very same right now...
    sometimes in sport things happen for a reason, things just fall into place, and I can see this happening for us...either ways its been a heck of a ride...
    thanks for this great season Liverpool thus far, and today in particular, and YNWA :D

5live it was not you I was listening to, anyway what do you sound like?

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I remember that so well. In Heathrow with a walkman, one ear phone in my ear the other in a bar maids, listening to 5live (or whatever it was at the time), priceless night, I was heading back to Isreal on the way to Lebanon. where I bought the tape of the match for $40 (it was an auction for charity), best $40 I ever spent (unless I dont count that time in Netanya). :D
    Yeah, some match. I still have it on tape somewhere but no VCR to play it:-)

Hopefully we have seen the end of moral victories for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gerrard has been superb recently in the holding role

Yeah, some match. I still have it on tape somewhere but no VCR to play it:-)

Hopefully we have seen the end of moral victories for a while.

Not moral victories, just victories from determination, skill and above all a desire to play in that shirt and for each other.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    5live it was not you I was listening to, anyway what do you sound like?

Like Richard Attenborough, only with more velvet:-)

Morzadec wrote: »
    Well started this to see how we were doing in relation to a quest for 4th and 2ppg.

Never though that with 9 matches left that target would be basically sewn up.

Not sure if the table is as relevant now as essentially the target for every game now is 3 points, without exception.

But anyway, still takes into account fixture difficulty. From last week:

Updated:

1. Chelsea: +6
    2. City: +4.5
    3. Liverpool: +4.5
    4. Arsenal: +3.5

5. Everton: -6
    6. Spurs: -6.5
    7. United -7.5

Clearly 2 tiers at the top now - a 4 horse race in which we are in joint 2nd position.

A massive turnaround from last week where Chelsea looked in a commanding position. We're right on their tails now.

Shouldn't United have lost more ground, if I'm understanding the methodology correctly? Like if we gain on our target, shouldn't they lose more on theirs?

Excellent idea though and thanks for putting it together.

FS, people said we needed a Rafa 08/09 run of form to win the PL, we are currently on it!

13/15 points Away from Home, Southampton, Stoke and United Away, none of the top 10 left to play Away. Cardiff, West Ham, Norwich and Palace.

City at Home will be some crack, Chelsea God knows. It's really, really ON!

I'd have said Chelsea nailed on yesterday morning and if we could finish second, City would be the targets. Some result for City, but their run in as tough as ours.

This season is so mad, Liverpool is the consistent team. While City and Chelsea worry about each other, we can sneak in here.

The footage of Sturridge and Adebayor tonight on MotD2 reminds me of why Sturridge will always be more effective than a Carroll type striker. He has had 2 poor enough games, but he creates space and gaps for others, and when one of the others is Luis Suarez, well:

As Gerrard said: I don't think Man Utd defenders have ever had a harder 90 minutes than that.

Sturridge and Suarez (in an alternative Suarez index) were poor enough, yet we could have had 4 legitimate penalties at Old Trafford. Defenders are scared ****less of SAS, and we've Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Coutinho, our threat from set pieces and the opposition giving away penalties!

Why fcuking not?

• Advertisement

Like Richard Attenborough, only with more velvet:-)

You mean Dickie darling not Galaxy chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Nice montage at the end of MOTD themed "The Ides of March", ending to a crescendo of Suarez finishing, Moyes face the exact moment his heart is broken and the victorious reds celebrating. Happy frackin days! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Cardiff will offer more of a threat than the mancs did, bad as utd have been of late, I couldn't belive the shyte performance they put in.

The lads tasted blood today.
    Bi3GMHpCQAABbHk.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There was a long post after the Fulham game (I think) which was copied from (again I think) Rawk along the lines of 'does this look about mere 4th place, well does it?".
    Anyone have a link. I realize I've given very very little to go on. But would like to read it again in an hours time during the final glass of wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Cardiff will offer more of a threat than the mancs did, bad as utd have been of late, I couldn't belive the shyte performance they put in.
    Not so sure about that. With the team United put out and the way they started, I would have to say it was more down to us playing well, rather than United being bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The calender year in numbers

Liverpool

GAMES
    WIN----
    DRAW
    LOSS
    0 (only team in PL)
    CLEAN SHEETS
    FAILED TO SCORE----0
    GOALS FOR
    GOALS AGAINST
    GOAL DIFFERENCE---+20
    GOALS PER GAME AV-3.2
    POINTS WON
    PPG

Goals scored by

Sturridge---9
    Gerrard----7
    Suarez
    Sterling----3
    Skrtel
    Henderson--2
    Coutinho---1
    Agger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'm almost believing.

I'm scared.

I'm not quite letting myself go there yet

however pyschologically it's a great ploy for us to focus upwards instead of downwards - as we look to first place, without even really noticing it we've virtually locked down the CL spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not so sure about that. With the team United put out and the way they started, I would have to say it was more down to us playing well, rather than United being bad.

Maybe you're right but imo we never even broke a sweat, I thought utd played dreadful. One shot on target from a home side and even that was hit straight at Mig. They look so out of sorts, I'd be very worried If I was a utd fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

There was a long post after the Fulham game (I think) which was copied from (again I think) Rawk along the lines of 'does this look about mere 4th place, well does it?".
    Anyone have a link. I realize I've given very very little to go on. But would like to read it again in an hours time during the final glass of wine.

Was it the thing about our remaining fixtures game by game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep, think it's a bit harsh on the team to say the result was because United were bad. Same is always said about the Arsenal result, that we only won cos they didn't turn up, truth is nobody knows if they turned up or not because we didn't give them a chance to show it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement