Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I wouldn't go that far, we should get a point for winning the crosses at least

Jesus christ, I presumed you were joking but have read your other posts.

No.

No points for crosses.

No points for pointless possession (which you didn't even have)

No points for anything but the obvious: resolute defence or ability to score

United had neither.

One, maybe two, shots on target all game. Embarrassing.

If you made that point in person I would laugh in your face.

I'm a pragmatist when it comes to LFC but to spout that ****e re: your own team is abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Ah great, so you realise you were wrong.

No I was condescending towards your blinkered view of the game.

Allen - Seven successful tackles
    Henderson - Five successful tackles

Jan - One successful tackle.
    Mata - One successful tackle.

Yeah clearly both sets of players where working equally as hard and effectively.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah great, so you realise you were wrong.

Small victories are getting smaller by the day........I thought the Joe Allen post in the humour thread was scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

opr wrote: »
    No I was condescending towards your blinkered view of the game.

Allen - Seven successful tackles
    Henderson - Five successful tackles

Jan - One
    Mata - one

Yeah clearly both sets of players where working equally as hard and effectively.

Opr

Using one stat to paint a picture of how a player did tactically, again, brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That zonal marking bases the argument on a map of Joe Allen receiving the ball maybe 25 times on the left side and mainly in his own half. I can muster up a similar map of Carrick receiving the ball 20 times in Liverpool's half but that doesn't mean Gerrard didn't track back.

Tracked him inside where? Allen only had 5 passes in United's half and they were 40 yards from goal over the left side and only one of them was over 4 yards.

What I remember from watching the game was Mata getting back, maybe not Valencia-eque but it wasn't a notable problem, Januzaj on the other hand could have done a lot more. Moyes moved Rooney out wide and put Mata centrally later in the game and Henderson got a lot more involved in the attack then.
    Did he track him in the first minute of the second half when Allen won his pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Distance Covered is a pointless stat. Especially when discussing working hard. Might as well add in stats for shouting at team mates, waving hands in air and shaking head when things go wrong. Throw in shouting at the ref also or wiping forehead with sleeve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Poetry in motion..Tra...la...la...la...la...la...!

No.

No points for crosses.

United had neither.

I'm a pragmatist when it comes to LFC but to spout that ****e re: your own team is abysmal.

This is brilliant :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

NukaCola wrote: »
    Distance Covered is a pointless stat. Especially when discussing working hard. Might as well add in stats for shouting at team mates, waving hands in air and shaking head when things go wrong. Throw in shouting at the ref also or wiping forehead with sleeve.

I think the chosen one left the dug out more times than Brendan, so that's another victory!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Don't forget pointing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9219554/steven-gerrard-wants-liverpools-owners-to-give-brendan-rodgers-new-contract

"Brendan has been a revelation. He keeps tinkering and tweaking formations, making little changes to personnel and pulls it off," said Gerrard.

"He is a young coach who has earned the right to become Liverpool manager and from week to week he is improving and he has been an absolute breath of fresh air to this club.

"I never judge a player, a manager or a member of coaching staff before I have actually met them face-to-face and when you see them day to day I have been absolutely blown away by the sessions, by his maturity in the job.

"I am learning off him every day. When you become a more experienced player you look to see how the manager does - if he does the same things.

"He has been fantastic for myself and I am sure the other players will echo what I am saying.

"We are absolutely delighted he is here and I just hope there is a lot of movement in Boston (the home of principal owner John W Henry) now as we speak because they have got to get him signed up as soon as possible.

Using one stat to paint a picture of how a player did tactically, again, brilliant.

Well no, the dominance in the game and result bear that our better to be fair.

Opr

I love this guys attitude......

"It was a big win but it was just another game for us really," said the midfielder. "We went there trying to do the same thing, put on a good performance, get three points and thankfully we did that so we can move on to the next performance and hopefully win that.

"We dominated from start to finish and I am very pleased in that respect, but we just move on to this week against Cardiff."
    Jordan Henderson
    "We knew it was a massive game but we have been brilliant of late and we felt as though we were capable of doing what we have been doing all season and have a really good chance of winning the game.

"We dominated from start to finish and I am very pleased in that respect, but we just move on to this week against Cardiff, that will be a difficult task as we are away from home so we need to prepare well for that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9219051/jordan-henderson-liverpool-win-over-manchester-united-just-another-game

opr wrote: »
    Well no, the dominance in the game and result bear that our better to be fair.

Opr

I can't take you seriously after suggesting Mata not tracking back means Liverpool didn't dominate the game.

Wherever you're reading your advanced tactical breakdowns, you should probably stop going on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Soccer Republic is on RTE2 right now. They're going to have an interview with Robbie Fowler.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9219554/steven-gerrard-wants-liverpools-owners-to-give-brendan-rodgers-new-contract

"Brendan has been a revelation. He keeps tinkering and tweaking formations, making little changes to personnel and pulls it off," said Gerrard.

"He is a young coach who has earned the right to become Liverpool manager and from week to week he is improving and he has been an absolute breath of fresh air to this club.

"I never judge a player, a manager or a member of coaching staff before I have actually met them face-to-face and when you see them day to day I have been absolutely blown away by the sessions, by his maturity in the job.

"I am learning off him every day. When you become a more experienced player you look to see how the manager does - if he does the same things.

"He has been fantastic for myself and I am sure the other players will echo what I am saying.

"We are absolutely delighted he is here and I just hope there is a lot of movement in Boston (the home of principal owner John W Henry) now as we speak because they have got to get him signed up as soon as possible.

This

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Talksport is good tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Has Gerrard ever been that praising about any manager? Some high praise there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Feck it i think i'll watch MOTD again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

hold yer horses, we still haven't beaten any team above us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I can't take you seriously after suggesting Mata not tracking back means Liverpool didn't dominate the game.

Wherever you're reading your advanced tactical breakdowns, you should probably stop going on there

I don't think he suggested that, some posters do that, twist a point to get a win on the internet.

And anyway, a player running around a lot means feck all, it probably was because Mata was just lost on the pith and didn't have a clue what he was supposed to be doing. A Henderson used to run around a lot like a little puppy, but it wasn't much use for the team.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I love this guys attitude......

"It was a big win but it was just another game for us really," said the midfielder. "We went there trying to do the same thing, put on a good performance, get three points and thankfully we did that so we can move on to the next performance and hopefully win that.

"We dominated from start to finish and I am very pleased in that respect, but we just move on to this week against Cardiff."
    Jordan Henderson
    "We knew it was a massive game but we have been brilliant of late and we felt as though we were capable of doing what we have been doing all season and have a really good chance of winning the game.

"We dominated from start to finish and I am very pleased in that respect, but we just move on to this week against Cardiff, that will be a difficult task as we are away from home so we need to prepare well for that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9219051/jordan-henderson-liverpool-win-over-manchester-united-just-another-game

Really great to see Gerrard speak so highly of Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Can anyone point me in the direction of highlights for the game, or even the full game itself? Missed it due to travelling and dying to see a proper edit of it. I watched a 10min clip on YT but in a foreign language.

Would greatly appreciate it!

Fizman wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of highlights for the game, or even the full game itself? Missed it due to travelling and dying to see a proper edit of it. I watched a 10min clip on YT but in a foreign language.

Full match - http://fm.lfc.vn/man-utd-liverpool-full-match-s14-w30/

MOTD highlights - http://motd.lfc.vn/man-utd-liverpool-hd-s14-w30/

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Fizman wrote: »

http://www.footytube.com/video/manchester-united-liverpool-mar16-262548?ref=head_vd_mp

try that, 20 mins, MOTD highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

No.

No points for crosses.

United had neither.

Was there a 2nd one?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yep.

I've been very critical of Gerrard this season for upping his game against the bigger teams this season and coasting along against the smaller sides. He proved me wrong yesterday with a really strong performance.

Bitterly good but probably not too accurate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Fair play opr. Just watched motd there. Again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Noticed this before, Gerrard referring to Rodgers as Brendan. Do other players do it?

It's not something you hear regularly from players of any club, usually its the boss/manager/gaffer etc.

This isn't a criticism by the way, I just found it interesting as from a management point of view, I'd consider the pally pally approach (speculating based on the informal reference) to be somewhat of a risky one.

From the outside, team spirit looks to be excellent, I wonder is the informal approach something Rodgers has adopted to aid that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Brilliant!
    Dear Editor,
    That’s it. I’m done with your game. For a supposed accurate reflection of reality, FA Premier League Simulator 2014 is a shoddy piece of work. It’s become unplayable for me.

Let me explain why.

In my most recent career, which I have been playing for the last few months, Liverpool have made their way to second position in England’s top flight. Yes, Liverpool. A club not backed by an all-conquering oligarch, lighting the way to overnight success, instead by two unassuming Americans, whose finances are frankly dwarfed in comparison. And this is mid-March, may I add. They are second in the Premier League with less than two months of the season remaining. Ridiculous.

Some of their recent results? A 5-0 victory at Tottenham first caught my eye. A spurs side teaming with talent, having re-invested the £80 million received for Gareth Bale last summer, on some of the brightest prospects in football. 5-0. How?!

Then a 4-0 win in the Merseyside derby; a game which is notoriously tight. After that, 5-1 against Arsenal at Anfield. An Arsenal squad boasting boundless ability wherever you look. They own Mesut Ozil for god’s sake. Oh, and it was 4-0 to Liverpool within 20 minutes. Hahaha. Honestly.

The Reds also possess the Premier League’s two top goal scorers on my current game, Luis Suarez (25) and Daniel Sturridge (18), having found the net a combined 43 times. These numbers are almost unprecedented. What a joke.

Anyway, after a quick tinker with one or two settings, and installing a game update, I decided to persevere.

That didn’t last long. What a horrible waste of time.

Liverpool travelled to Old Trafford, home of the champions, Manchester United. They may be in a slight state of transition after the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson and a switch of the baton to the dependable, solid David Moyes, but surely the seventh place position they occupied in the league prior to this game is entirely unrealistic. Look at their front four; Mata, Rooney, Januzaj and Van Persie!

The match finished 3-0 to the visitors, helped by two Steven Gerrard penalties. In fact, referee Mark Clattenburg deemed it plausible to award Liverpool three spot-kicks in the 90 minutes. Three penalties given to the away side at Old Trafford?! This just would not happen in real life. I can safely say that, without a shadow of doubt. Embarrassing.

Great article, more The surreal story of Liverpool's 2013/14 Premier League campaign | Liverpool FC This Is Anfield:

Another good piece describing how mad this season all is:

Who, at the start of the season, would have envisaged the lightweight Raheem Sterling as a vital cog in the freewheeling attack that would sit atop the football league on Christmas Day? Who would have foreseen Jordan Henderson’s rebirth from admirable engine-room workhorse to a ten-foot-tall big-game conquistador. You certainly needn’t have looked too far to spot someone or other laughing up their sleeve at the first mention of Gerrard and Pirlo in the same sentence.

And yet here we are. Sterling is rampant, and one of the league’s more frightening wingers, Henderson (perhaps along with Ross Barkley) has been the season’s outstanding English midfielder, and Gerrard has just played the puppeteer in the most dominant Liverpool performance at Old Trafford in decades – doing so in the Pirlo role, of course.

Say what you like about David Moyes’ Manchester United – plenty have; plenty will – but the sort of comprehensive crushing that was inflicted upon them on Sunday afternoon is not easily done. On average, they’d conceded less than a goal per game at Old Trafford before Liverpool stuck in three, missing a penalty along the way.

This wasn’t the away performance we’d seen at White Hart Lane and Eastlands, or the home destruction of Arsenal. Those were full-blooded maulings, games in which the opposition were under the impression that they’d just inadvertently booted a hornets’ nest of red-shirted attackers. This was more measured, more patient, and it somehow seemed a sturdier, more unavoidable result. And it was all the more emphatic for it.
    The win looked to come from a well-rehearsed strategy: the first half spent silencing Old Trafford, the second spent putting its heroes to the sword. Authority was imposed, and imposed knowingly, before it was made tangible. This was essentially 90 minutes of Steven Gerrard and co holding their hosts at arm’s length, letting them swipe desperately at thin air before picking them off with cunning ventures forward.

LIVERPOOL FC: AN OVERNIGHT SUCCESSThe Anfield Wrap

Surreal really is a great term for this season, it's almost dream like at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Bitterly good but probably not too accurate!

Now now don't be splitting hairs you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's always great to watch Utd getting beaten like a red headed child but when it's your own team that did it, it's amazing!

I'd say I've watched the MOTD2 highlights about 10 times today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Flanagan along with Gerrard and Suarez makes the ESPN team of the week.

Thought Sterling was unlucky to get overlooked. He was immense.

To me that reads like someone who thought Rodgers was utterly full of **** but has since been won over - what was once considered as bollocks now has been pulled very much into focus.

To an extent, you get away with talking ****e when you're winning but it's also true that winning justifies that selfsame "****e".

As it turns out, a good chunk of Rodgers' waffle was perfectly reasonable and we're all reaping the rewards.

K-9 wrote: »

Surreal really is a great term for this season, it's almost dream like at this stage.

To be honest it only seems like that in comparison to where we have been for the last few seasons. We are where we are on merit there is nothing surreal or jammy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

In the office nice and early this morning - a few ManUtd supporting colleagues have crept in sheepishly....have been chatting away to them about the parades,
    the rugby, the weather, All-Ireland Club Finals, crisis in the Ukraine etc.....haven't even mentioned the match but I can see the horror behind their eyes.... :D

Carlsberg don't do Tuesday mornings in the office after a Bank Holiday, but if they did etc.

5422__4111__16_5326ce9f5e5f1219635025.jpg

7033__6611__18_5326cea05ed92844210625.jpg

0120__4635__20_5326cea12ea41095527861.jpg

To be honest it only seems like that in comparison to where we have been for the last few seasons. We are where we are on merit there is nothing surreal or jammy about it.

Of course we are where we are by merit, but we largely have the same team as last season. No one would have even suggested a title challenge.

We didnt strengthen in Jan and we are still in blistering form. We are putting teams to the sword. Players like Flannagan Henderson Allen Skrtel and Sterling that were largely criticised are in unbelievable form. Suarez missed a lot of games, Sturridge did, we had 3/4 starting defenders out injured and still came through.

This season is the definition of surreal for a LFC fan IMO. Nothing makes sense. I am enjoying this season more than any other PL season as a result. Unexpected and exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

K-9 wrote: »

Oh god.. forgot to check...

giphy.gif

I'm still smiling after the match.. think I'm going to watch MOTD again.

Of course we are where we are by merit, but we largely have the same team as last season. No one would have even suggested a title challenge.

We didnt strengthen in Jan and we are still in blistering form. We are putting teams to the sword. Players like Flannagan Henderson Allen Skrtel and Sterling that were largely criticised are in unbelievable form. Suarez missed a lot of games, Sturridge did, we had 3/4 starting defenders out injured and still came through.

This season is the definition of surreal for a LFC fan IMO. Nothing makes sense. I am enjoying this season more than any other PL season as a result. Unexpected and exciting.

Yep I know what you are saying and I agree to a certain extent. But we have been in great form since January of last year. Top 4 form IIRC. Yes a title tilt was not expected but top 4 was always the target and you would imagine both would intertwine at various points in the season - as is happening.

We are now seeing and reaping the benefits of a manager who is growing tactically, but in my opinon, has really excelled in man management and getting this team working together and most importantly buying into his philosophy and believing they can win games.

You only have to look up the M62 to find the anti-Rodgers at work. No team spirit, to team work, no desire, no tactical acumen etc.

Yes a title challenge is surprising at the moment but just a little premature (I refuse to get too excited until 5 games to go). I genuinely believe we can win it but have adopted a Rodgersesque 1 game at a time attitude. There was evidence from Jan-May last year that Rodgers plan was moving in the right direction - keeping Suarez of course was the pivotal moment.

We are Liverpool. This is where we should be. I dont feel surreal about it because I genuinely believe in the team this year where in years gone by it was just hope really.

We are Liverpool. This is where we should be. I dont feel surreal about it because I genuinely believe in the team this year where in years gone by it was just hope really.

No team has the right to anything they haven't earned. Big history or not. We are here because of a manager with a fantastic football outlook and a group of players who have responded magnificently to that.

If you believed the team were capable of this then thats great. I didn't. I expected a top 4 challenge and maybe getting CL at best but not this. This season has been dreamlike for me and i would bet i'm not alone in that.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter..........its gotten so good now we are discussing what kind of a season we are having, dreamlike or expected :pac: better than net spend any day.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I will be extremely disappointed if we didn't at least finish in 3rd place.

If I had said that in Aug I would have been carted off by the men in white coats.

Suarez & Sturridge have been an incredible help in getting us into this position but I think that is a bit disingenuous to Brendan Rodgers.

The guy has practically worked a mini miracle with the resources at his disposal, and he has players peaking at their best abilities, and even at that, some of them would normally fall short at the level he has us playing.

If this level of progression continues, and the manager gets the proper resources/players then it is scary what Rodgers potentially could do.

If Brendan Rodgers was manager of any of the current top 6 teams I would be a very jealous guy.

EVERYTHING about him seems to come from one focal point: WIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Looking forward to seeing mourinhos 19th century style football when chelski come to anfield

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Looking forward to seeing mourinhos 19th century style football when chelski come to anfield

If he tries anti-football he will be mauled.

We nearly unlocked it (second half) at SB but Anfield will be a whole different ball game.

it could turn out to be a real gloves off type of game,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hold your horses.....Cardiff first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

the funny thing is not only do we have a manager who wants to play all out attacking football, but we also have a manager that has another 30 years left in him :D the future is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Flanno against UTD.

See a few links for JESE this morning!!! :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm really not looking forward to the run in to the Chelsea game and all the nonsense from Mourinho. Winds me up much more than his first Chelsea stint. Hope we win it with a dodgy contentious goal late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm still pissed thinking about that previous Chelsea game. Eto'o should have walked for his lunge on Henderson in the first few minutes, and then he gets away with bowling Suarez out of it in the box, too.

Actually, thought about this the other day. How many clear penalties has Suarez been denied this season? I can think of a few straight off. I know he has a reputation, and wins his fair share as is, but he could of had even more.

Guy is just phenomenal.

Also, just wait for Mourinho to stir up shit in the build up to the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement