Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If Morrison was available for around the 6m mark, I'd take him.

Worst case scenario, he acts the prick and we punt him for a loss. It will at least serve as a warning to any other players effing about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And they would have had a point. He had shocking man management skills in the Downing/Carroll and Henderson situations last year, coupled with his media quotes it was the impression he gave off. Hopefully he was humbled a bit by Henderson turning things around.

He is improving, don't see any issue in people highlighting something that was valid at the time.

Would hardly be the first time a manager came in, tried to get rid of the deadwood and very nearly lost a very good player in the process. Steve Finnan, Summer 2004 springs to mind.

Thought he handled Downing as well as could be expected and certainly got his best Liverpool form out of him last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

mike65 wrote: »
    Fancy a punt? Sturridge is 10s to be top scorer, if Suarez picks up a real injury in the next game (god forbid!) he could be overhauled by Daniel.

If you like a low risk bet he is 1.44 without Suarez market. With Aguero missing a game or two again and being 3 goals behind that looks a decent bet.

You're joking about Suarez getting injury and the chance to earn money out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If Morrison was available for around the 6m mark, I'd take him.

Worst case scenario, he acts the prick and we punt him for a loss. It will at least serve as a warning to any other players effing about

No to Morrison, bringing him back closer to this thugs in Manchester is not good either. Look at his twitter he thinks he is in the so solid crew or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And they would have had a point. He had shocking man management skills in the Downing/Carroll and Henderson situations last year, coupled with his media quotes it was the impression he gave off. Hopefully he was humbled a bit by Henderson turning things around.

He is improving, don't see any issue in people highlighting something that was valid at the time.

Don't see what he did wrong with Carroll and sure he even got Downing to play pretty decent at times. Henderson yes, but we all know the owners left him up sh*t creek on that one, he shouldn't have been in that position.
    Paulegend wrote: »
    he is still saying the same kinda stuff. its just that its working this time so noone can take the piss out of him

the stuff he said about hendo last year and carroll and downing was correct. they needed to man up and step up. hendo did. same with sterling.

his man management skills are what makes him so good

Some of the stuff can come across a bit cocky at times and get quoted out of context, but that's the press for you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't see what he did wrong with Carroll and sure he even got Downing to play pretty decent at times. Henderson yes, but we all know the owners left him up sh*t creek on that one, he shouldn't have been in that position.

Some of the stuff can come across a bit cocky at times and get quoted out of context, but that's the press for you.

the press are always going to try to make gold out of dirt

but im impressed by the way he handles himself. the press ask questions about contracts, players, upcoming games, title challenges etc

he just bats them off and says he is just focused on improving the team and trying to get the team up to the standard he thinks they can get to.

i mean the man is sitting pretty right now. he is probably THE most secure manager in the league right now bar maybe martinez who has also done a fantastic job. he must be over the moon when he gets 5 mins to himself

he keeps saying that he didnt expect us to get into this position so early into his tenure. if thats true then hand the man 100 million and a shiny new contract because he is the real special one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

For all the grumpy Fergie pics I think there is part of him happy that the transition has had a few problems.

Yeah, I'm sure he's thrilled that Moyes is doing so shyte and that it will make him look better:rolleyes:

I can hear the gritted teeth from here tbh, 'he is improving' is the best praise you can come up with, while the majority of us are in awe of him and begging JWH to extend his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How did he show shocking man management skills with Downing and Carroll by shipping them out the door?

Also, one could argue that he's man managed Henderson correctly and has motivated him.

Your comments on the same day that Gerrard is saying that Rodgers is the best man manager he has had come across as bit of begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

To think some people thought he was no better than David Brent last year :eek:

A lot of the David Brent talk came from the documentary! What you have to understand is that the documentary was produced for an American audience, and IMO a lot of the one-liners stemmed from that! If you look at something like Hard Knocks you will similar trends, but an American Football training camp lends itself to a documentary far better, because of the drama inherent in it! I certainly think some of it was forced to create drama/interest for the viewers!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

The way that I see it...

Brendan Rodgers talked a big game but we had not seen anything tangible to back up the talk.

Brenda Rodgers still talks a big game but thank God we are seeing it translated on the pitch.

he is a special one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

God I miss manic meltdown Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That documentary ("Being Liverpool" iirc) was pretty damaging to him at the time as well I think.

As a new manager at a massive club in the doldrums, the last thing he needed was a fly-on-the-wall documentary being made. But he did spout some woeful bullsh1t all the same at the time.

He's matured a lot and learned a helluva lot since then - the tactical flexibility and man management in evidence is very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For all the grumpy Fergie pics I think there is part of him happy that the transition has had a few problems.

I'm sure there is, His legacy can't be touched now.

If Mourinho,Guardiola or another big name manager came in and kept on winning leagues everyone would say that's just Utd. Now in history it will be his Utd no one elses name will be attached to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The comparisons to Brent weren't all necessarily antagonistic, though sometimes they were. He is a bit much at times, and was more so in the past, let's not forget:

"I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes."

Jesus Christ himself came up with something similar regarding betrayal! Seriously, the above is cringeworthy by any standards.

In saying that, I think he has definitely toned it down in the last year, and results & player comments speak for themselves, the man is obviously an astute tactician and a great motivator/man manager.

Ummm Yes & No.

The majority (casual fan) will, but the fans that follow Utd more regularly will see the Bertie Ahern job he done on the club which wont be seen in a positive light.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    The way that I see it...

Brendan Rodgers talked a big game but we had not seen anything tangible to back up the talk.

Brenda Rodgers still talks a big game but thank God we are seeing it translated on the pitch.

he is a special one.

Yep, he talked a big game and I loved it personally, he came in and appreciated the fact he was managing a humongous club, he made comments that he would be relentless in his pursuit of getting us back in the big time, death by football etc.... Compare it to Moyes who acts as if he's dumbstruck that he has the job, Rodgers was basically the opposite of Hodgson, that's a good thing surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

dzer2 wrote: »
    God I miss manic meltdown Monday

Its over on the Manchester United super thread if you're interested

Yep, he talked a big game and I loved it personally, he came in and appreciated the fact he was managing a humongous club, he made comments that he would be relentless in his pursuit of getting us back in the big time, death by football etc.... Compare it to Moyes who acts as if he's dumbstruck that he has the job, Rodgers was basically the opposite of Hodgson, that's a good thing surely?

Ohh I agree with the comparisons and who I prefer, but it has to be said that Rodgers came into a massive club with only a promotion to speak about, and talked a very big way.
    Until it could be backed up with performances then he would have always been open to being accused of being a bit of a spoof - thankfully that is not true and we have the real deal at the club.

I dont include things like returning the red nets, and hanging back the original This is Anfied sign in the above.....that was just simply a brilliant idea which should he got the club.

something Mr Moyes has yet to show Utd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If Mourinho,Guardiola or another big name manager came in and kept on winning leagues everyone would say that's just Utd. Now in history it will be his Utd no one elses name will be attached to it.

Surely he is not that big a prick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Augmerson wrote: »
    Surely he is not that big a prick?

Yes he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers was the man with a plan that's what struck me. His top priority was getting the ball on the ground and playing thrilling winning football. Since January 2013 he has done just that.
    I never had a problem with anything he said, he has supreme confidence in himself and his methods and importantly so do the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Yeah, I'm sure he's thrilled that Moyes is doing so shyte and that it will make him look better:rolleyes:
    Ahh here now!

Turty has a point, which a few of my manU supporting friends agree with incidentally.

He (fergie) would have preferred Moyes to do well but not so well as to overshadow his own achievements.

If the news reports are to be believed, Moyes has 2-3 games left to keep his job. Olympiacos and ManCity games will have to have a huge improvement from the Liverpool game or he is gone.

And a lot of the blame will have to be placed at the players feet. They looked like a pub team at times yesterday and if they had an ounce of pride left they could at least have fought but they were truly shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I don't agree. It's always been in Ferguson's interests not to draw attention to what the Glaziers are siphoning out of the club. Success on the pitch draws the fans attention away from that aspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

If rodgers manages to win the league it will be the greatest achievement by any liverpool manager. To get this team to be top after 38 games against the likes of filthy rich Chelsea and city added to that utd who walked the league last year and spurs who spent 100 million, and also arsenal who have been very good this season.
    The league has never been as competitive and his coaching and man management has been peerless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The issue many people had with Rodgers was that he was coming out with some absolute ****e having achieved a grand total of **** all in football management. He was talking the talk never having proven he had the ability to walk the walk.

No he is showing what he is capable of, and it's fan-****ing-tastic to be have been wrong to slate him in the past.

He is earning the right to talk the way he talks.
    He is earning the support of the fans.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The issue many people had with Rodgers was that he was coming out with some absolute ****e having achieved a grand total of **** all in football management. He was talking the talk never having proven he had the ability to walk the walk.

No he is showing what he is capable of, and it's fan-****ing-tastic to be have been wrong to slate him in the past.

end.jpg

/close boards.ie :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    How did he show shocking man management skills with Downing and Carroll by shipping them out the door?

He froze Carroll out from the moment he took over, not saying that it was the wrong thing to do as I don't think he should have played for the club after the Newcastle game the season before, but it's hardly inspired man management.

Likewise Downing, he highlighted in the media for criticism at a time when several players were underperforming, something which should have been done internally.
    one could argue that he's man managed Henderson correctly and has motivated him.

One could, but one would be a revisionist, and one would be clutching at a lot of straws. He may well have a lot to do with Henderson's current form but to suggest trying to sell him for 3million knowing the deal would fall through and motivate Henderson is a power I doubt even his biggest supporters think he has.
    Your comments on the same day that Gerrard is saying that Rodgers is the best man manager he has had come across as bit of begrudgery.

My comments were in response to a post made today, so this part is a bit stupid....if Gerrard made his comments yesterday, or tomorrow I'd still hold the same opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mr Alan wrote: »

I would argue he had a right to talk the way he wanted and wasnt massively out of line anyway. But your last line is the most important....it holds so much more weight now.

He made a comment in the post match press conference having a dig at Moyes that I didnt see talked about in here. He said something along the lines of "I read the other day that we were favourites coming here to Old Trafford. I would never say that.....even if we were bottom of the table". Thinly veiled but fairly indicative of their PR style and attitude. Hodgson would have/was saying similar things to Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

European TOTW -

BjArzatCMAAn2Gh.jpg:large
    Dan Roan @danroan
    Moyes on SAF: "He's been very supportive, as has David Gill, Ed Woodward, the board.."

I'm relieved to read this.

Flanninho.

Flanjo played well at the weekend, that's Flanagan and Johnsons new name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Just had a browse on the Utd superthread and I laughed out loud when I read this piece of gold...

"As soon as I seen our new jersey, I knew we wouldn't win the league".

Is Johnson still stalling on a new contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rob316 wrote: »
    No to Morrison, bringing him back closer to this thugs in Manchester is not good either. Look at his twitter he thinks he is in the so solid crew or something.

I am with you on that. There are lots of talented players out there with their demons, not just in England. After all the Suarez stuff dying down, I am loving seeing us only on the back page for sporting reasons. I wouldn't risk that harmony for a kid like him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

/http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-marcos-rojo-3255816

good to see us looking at LBs , dont no much about this guy but the journo who posted this link reckons he's nothing special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Flanninho.

Nope it's red / scouse cafu !!!!!

ManOnFire wrote: »
    /http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-marcos-rojo-3255816

good to see us looking at LBs , dont no much about this guy but the journo who posted this link reckons he's nothing special

I'd be happy with decent back up for Enrique.

Is Johnson still stalling on a new contract?

I thought it was Liverpool not offering him a new contract or offering a reduced contract that was the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Were you gargling all day yesterday? To judge a manager's man management skills is simple, just look at the player now (the Rodgers version) and the pre-Rodgers version.
    Tell me the net result of that change is not immense and that his tactical nous has not improved 100% (by the way I give Henderson most of the credit for his own transformation, but he was not getting that kind of guidance previously.)
    I would say Rodgers is feeling proud rather than humbled by the transformation of the headless chickens and the disillusioned senior players he took over.
    Time to sober up man, patricks day is over. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Remaining games
    Over the next 4 games or so Liverpool could very well be top of the table going into the Chelsea game at Anfield

Saturday 22nd

Chelsea vs Arsenal
    Man City vs Fulham
    Cardiff vs Liverpool

March 25th/26th
    Arsenal vs Swansea
    Man Utd vs Man City
    Liverpool vs Sunderland

March 29th/30th
    Arsenal vs Man City
    Crystal Palace vs Chelsea
    Liverpool vs Spurs

April 5th/6th
    Chelsea vs Stoke City
    Man City vs Southampton
    Everton vs Arsenal
    West Ham vs Liverpool

April 12th/13th

Liverpool vs Man City
    Swansea vs Chelsea

April 15th
    Arsenal vs West Ham

April 16th
    Man City vs Sunderland

April 29th/20th
    Hull City vs Arsenal
    Chelsea vs Sunderland
    Norwich vs Liverpool

April 21st
    Man City vs West Brom

April 27th
    Liverpool vs Chelsea
    Crystal Palace vs Man City

April 28th
    Arsenal vs Newcastle

May 3rd
    Everton vs Man City
    Crystal Palace vs Liverpool
    Chelsea vs Norwich
    Arsenal vs West Brom

May 11th
    Liverpool vs Newcastle
    Cardiff vs Chelsea
    Man City vs West Ham
    Norwich vs Arsenal

gafferino wrote: »
    I thought it was Liverpool not offering him a new contract or offering a reduced contract that was the issue?

I'd rather we hang on to him but wouldn't want the club to be held over a barrel for it.

garra wrote: »
    Were you gargling all day yesterday? To judge a manager's man management skills is simple, just look at the player now (the Rodgers version) and the pre-Rodgers version.
    Tell me the net result of that change is not immense and that his tactical nous has not improved 100% (by the way I give Henderson most of the credit for his own transformation, but he was not getting that kind of guidance previously.)
    I would say Rodgers is feeling proud rather than humbled by the transformation of the headless chickens and the disillusioned senior players he took over.
    Time to sober up man, patricks day is over. ;)

And all this change happened the day he took over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If rodgers manages to win the league it will be the greatest achievement by any liverpool manager. To get this team to be top after 38 games against the likes of filthy rich Chelsea and city added to that utd who walked the league last year and spurs who spent 100 million, and also arsenal who have been very good this season.
    The league has never been as competitive and his coaching and man management has been peerless.

I'm not sure about that...

It would be a phenomenal achievement, absolutely. And I agree that the league is very competitive, so much so that we could be talking about winning the league this year and not being anywhere near certs for qualification to the CL the following year.

However, I'm not sure that the Premier League has some of the best teams in Europe in it anymore.

What I mean is that if you asked me to name the top 5 teams in Europe 5 years ago, I would probably be naming 3 possibly 4 teams.

Same question now, and I would be considering whether to put 1 in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Bi4rz5oCYAAbZTu.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

The premier league is definitely more competitve than it has been for 15 years. For years there was just Arsenal and ManU capable of winning it. More recently Chelsea and City, now Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Morzadec wrote: »

It would be a phenomenal achievement, absolutely. And I agree that the league is very competitive, so much so that we could be talking about winning the league this year and not being anywhere near certs for qualification to the CL the following year.

However, I'm not sure that the Premier League has some of the best teams in Europe in it anymore.

What I mean is that if you asked me to name the top 5 teams in Europe 5 years ago, I would probably be naming 3 possibly 4 teams.

Same question now, and I would be considering whether to put 1 in.
    Agreed, hard to look past Munich, PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid.
    Then there are the likes of Athletico and Dortmund there too.

Morzadec wrote: »

Morzadec apologies if you replied to this already but in yesterdays alternative table, UTD hadnt changed from the previous week.....shouldnt they be worse off now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

I'd rather we hang on to him but wouldn't want the club to be held over a barrel for it.

if there is a slight chance we can get coleman i know who id prefer

less wages and younger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

gafferino wrote: »
    Morzadec apologies if you replied to this already but in yesterdays alternative table, UTD hadnt changed from the previous week.....shouldnt they be worse off now?

There is no alternative table.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement