Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is exactly what shows that the league is more competitive now though.

Yes, there are single teams in other leagues who are better, but that's largely because they've hoovered up the best players from the smaller teams, meaning there are close to 30 games a season which are against vastly inferior teams.

In England, there are a tremendous amount of incredible players spread throughout the top 5, and plenty of strong lower level teams.

While a few Spanish and German teams are undoubtedly excellent, I think they wouldn't get close to their own domestic points tallies if they were to play in England.

I agree with all that.

There's no mid table team in any other country that could afford to spend 20 million euro on a player, but you have some prem teams doing that (oswaldo springs to mind).

However, I still think Liverpool have a better chance of winning the Premier League than they would of winning the Bundesliga or La Liga if they were hypothetically dropped in there this season, such is dominance and class of the Spanish big 2 and Munich.

Atleti are certainly making a case against my point, but I still feel like 6 years ago if you could win the EPL you could hypothetically say you could win any league. You were up against semi-finalists, finalists, winners of the CL.

The same case can't quite be made at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

rob316 wrote: »
    Fair play a good man will admit when he was wrong.
    You really should have given him the benefit of the doubt though the minimum any other manager should get aswell.
    I disagreed with alot you have said but its good you support rodgers now.

He has no other option but to support him. Anything else would look foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

You should have given him the benefit of the doubt that any new Liverpool manager deserves from the start. The fact you now have a change of heart means very little imo.

Let those who have not sinned be the first to throw a stone!! (never thought I'd ever quote something from the bible!!)

Maybe more appropriate - Show me someone who never made a mistake and I'll show you someone who never made anything.

Cut the man some slack JCS

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

comewatmay wrote: »
    He has no other option but to support him. Anything else would look foolish.

True enough but spending a couple of hours dredging up all of the above and posting it for my own public ridicule is most definitely optional imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    00c602aa87609ae5756875ba4e16a109.png

Brendan+Rodgers-cropped-450x226.jpg

Too long, didn't read.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

lol

2dmghus.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

True enough but spending a couple of hours dredging up all of the above and posting it for my own public ridicule is most definitely optional imo.
    Well said, Lloyd. At the end of the day, we are all looking for our club to do well but have vastly different ways of getting there.

Is that lad you quoted still posting on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Damn! Some of you are hard to please.

He already owned up to his Mistakes. So no need to Rake him in the Coals for it.

It's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Morzadec wrote: »
    I agree with all that.

There's no mid table team in any other country that could afford to spend 20 million euro on a player, but you have some prem teams doing that (oswaldo springs to mind).

However, I still think Liverpool have a better chance of winning the Premier League than they would of winning the Bundesliga or La Liga if they were hypothetically dropped in there this season, such is dominance and class of the Spanish big 2 and Munich.

Atleti are certainly making a case against my point, but I still feel like 6 years ago if you could win the EPL you could hypothetically say you could win any league. You were up against semi-finalists, finalists, winners of the CL.

The same case can't quite be made at the moment.

It would be easier to get CL in the other leagues but more difficult to win a title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Better level of opposition. :pac:

Still can't believe Celtic won that game. The same Celtic that generally spend preseason getting pumped around the continent, notoriously bad in preseason

That sir was your penance - you are now absolved of any and all prior posts which were in any way disagreeable to anyone on this forum :cool:

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You should have given him the benefit of the doubt that any new Liverpool manager deserves from the start. The fact you now have a change of heart means very little imo.

Did you give Roy H the benefit of the doubt? Not having a dig just curious.

Because I know no one who did.. every Liverpool fan I know wanted him out the second he got the job!

If you did support him and gave him the he benefit of the doubt how long tdid it take to have a change of heart.

kfallon wrote: »
    Why would it be better? :confused:

Bizarre statement!
    Anything would be better than Celtic again:mad:

Maybe we were unlucky with the 'fans' we came across after the match but some of the songs on the Luas were vile.

If i go this year i dont think i will be bringing the kids:(

Because I know no one who did.. every Liverpool fan I know wanted him out the second he got the job!

If you did support him and gave him the he benefit of the doubt how long tdid it take to have a change of heart.

I did.

He was never my Choice as a LFC Manager. But as long as he is, I'll always give him a Chance.

Same with Players.

Don't know about the others, but I'm Fair-minded and Open.

Benefit of the doubt , lloyds argument to getting BR was a solid one . I can honestly say I wasn't that happy when I heard Kenny was being replaced by BR.

Funnily enough by complete co-incidence I actually was happy to see BR coming in. I was at the LFC Vs Swansea match in November 2012 (I think) where they played us off the park but only drew 0-0. I remember thinking at the time what would their manager achieve if he managed LFC with the potential resources that would be available to him etc.

A lucky co-incidence perhaps but when he was appointed I was quite happy.

Ben

I did.

He was never my Choice as a LFC Manager. But as long as he is, I always give him a Chance.

Same with Players.

Don't know about the others, but I'm Fair-minded and Open.

How long did it take you to know he was the wrong man for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Fair play Llyod - you have always come across as a passionate and sincere poster even though I couldn't always agree with you. It takes guts to admit when your wrong. Glad we are all singing from the same hymnsheet for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I never liked woy but where's the point in moaning you get behind a new manager until its very clear he is not the right man for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Still can't believe Celtic won that game. The same Celtic that generally spend preseason getting pumped around the continent, notoriously bad in preseason

Celtic weren't in preseason ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How about Celtic in the Champions Leage draw, opening day match at Anfield?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

How about Celtic in the Champions Leage draw, opening day match at Anfield?

Wouldn't like that. Would be one of the tougher fourth seeds, with an outstanding home record in Europe over the years.

November.

At first, I wanted him to turn the Ship around. But seeing as the Football was so Dire, I knew it was Hopeless.

Kenny fell to the same Trap as Hodgson. He was Good, when he replaced Hodgson. But I didn't like the way we play in his Full Season as a Manager.

Maybe it was the Carroll Buy, that set things for the Worse. Seeing as he was bought for 50M, Kenny had no choice but to adapt his Tactics to suit him.

I was sad when he got sacked, but I didn't harbor any Ill-feelings towards Rodgers because of it.

This is where I differ with some of the others here. Some here, think that Rodgers handling of Carroll was wrong. But for me, it was a Necessary Evil.

Don't get me wrong, I like Carroll. Hell, I still watch him and Downing for Westham. In a Team that is setup to use his Strength, he's a Monster. But that's not the Type of Football, for a Club like Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

His first few press conferences had my alarm bells ringing. But the game at Man City was what pushed me to the Roy Out side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Lloyd.. That. Was. Epic.

:D

• Advertisement

True. Maybe use this as a learning curve and recognise that new managers/players/owners deserve time to prove themselves without being written off straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Fair play Lloyd. That can't have been easy. Respect.

5live wrote: »
    Well said, Lloyd. At the end of the day, we are all looking for our club to do well but have vastly different ways of getting there.

Is that lad you quoted still posting on here?

Yes

This is where I differ with some of the others here. Some here, think that Rodgers handling of Carroll was wrong. But for me, it was a Necessary Evil.

I agree with all of the above.

I didn't think Roy was the right man from the start and really didn't want him as manager. Some people point to the transfers but I didn't really mind them to be honest every manager brings a player from his old club with him so Konchesky was that player. Poulsen had a good record around Europe.and for me Meireles was a super buy.

But after watching 2 games I new he wasn't the right man for Liverpool even to steady the ship.

I was one also who though Brendan was a David Brent type but I could see what he was trying on the pitch which did give me hope. There was times I wish he didn't speak to the media.

I now think the whole speaking to the media and not bad mouthing ref's is working in his and our favour long term. He had a long term goal in mind when he took the job FSG saw this. We the fans didn't untill the last few months. That is why we are on fourms and not in the dug out :).

Long story short I too hold my hands up for judging to quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mike, out of curiosity are you still thinking Stevie G should be retired?

Also are you still refusing to celebrate Suarez goals?

I still think eeking out Gerrards career is more wrong than right, that is to say sure he is doing okay at the moment (Utd were no test for example) but if he is still playing the role next season in Europe rather than having a guy like Fernando Reges playing then I'd be disappointed.

I spend a lot of time sitting on my hands (luckily Sturridge is scoring more since Jan Ist). :p

I'm happy that Suarez is not acting the maggot and has knuckled down without complaint - not many would have to such a degree in his position I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Maybe it was the Carroll Buy, that set things for the Worse. Seeing as he was bought for 50M, Kenny had no choice but to adapt his Tactics to suit him.

:eek: Fuck me,it was even worse than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Massive respect to Lloyd
    For me watching how Flanagan has progressed as a footballer shows how good a coach Rodgers is because at times under Kenny he looked like a headless chicken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So do we all like The Rodgers now? Are we all singing from the same hymn sheet or at least the same book of psalms? Is there to be no more strife and meltdowns?
    I don't think that will be good for the thread lads and it will lead to our creativity and the thread being interest fading, we as a thread will go into decline.
    We are suffering an unintentional crisis of interestingness due to the recent upswing in our results.
    Possibly winning the league is great and all guys but not if it diminishes the thread.
    We need someone to be obtuse!
    Rodgers out!
    Mignolet cant kick the ball and is to slow to come off his line.
    Johnson touch is pure poison at times and doesn't seem arsed!
    Flanaghan is nowhere near the level we need!
    Skrtel is to prone to errors!
    Agger is made of glass and too weak!
    Sahko is terrible on the ball and too expensive!
    Henderson can't shoot and is wrecking his knees!
    The team plays better without Gerrard!
    Allen is just the managers pet!
    Sterling's end product not consistent enough!
    Sturridge is too greedy!
    Suarez is too reliably mad and is only a matter of time before he gets sent off!

The less said about Alberto, Enrigue, Borini, Aspas, Moses et al the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Luckyloyd (or anyone else who went) I'd be interested to hear more of the match yesterday from the point of view of the stands?

Also on your post above, we were arguing donkeys ago over something and I said at the time there should be no apologies for opinions held. Different points of view are what make this forum interesting. The fact Rodgers can win over some of the more 'hard liners' only shows we are moving in the right direction. We need to continue this for 9 games and prepare in the summer. We seem to be in a much better position as a club to do that than we were in 09.

100% disagree with people who are going to rubbish someone after coming out with a post like that.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    So do we all like The Rodgers now? Are we all singing from the same hymn sheet or at least the same book of psalms? Is there to be no more strife and meltdowns?
    I don't think that will be good for the thread lads and it will lead to our creativity and the thread being interest fading, we as a thread will go into decline.
    We are suffering an unintentional crisis of interestingness due to the recent upswing in our results.
    Possibly winning the league is great and all guys but not if it diminishes the thread.
    Rodgers out!
    Sturridge is too greedy!
    Suarez is too reliably mad and is only a matter of time before he gets sent off!

Well you still have rossie1977 but he may have converted lately too:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rodgers out!
    Sturridge is too greedy!

We are for the moment but football can change very very quickly let's not forget that. Following the last 4 years I fully intend to enjoy the **** out of the next 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

While we're getting things off our chest and admitting that we made some wrong decisions.

There was a time that I wouldn't eat vegetables, now I fricking love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So after our last result and Alan's and Lloyd's post is it fair to say that the thread is no longer split by Rodgers and is united! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

:o

I was wrong quite obviously. And believe me when I say that I am utterly delighted for that to be the case.

About this time in 2009 I really started to believe we were going to hit the highest peaks. We were nearly there but instead of going after it that summer we threaded water and the following year the weight of boardroom bull**** and British media schadenfreude contributed to a disappointing season. Better owners would have stood pat on the basis of the majority of a six year reign. Instead the dickheads we had took their opportunity to pounce and remove a troublesome and forthright manager. Then there was the Hodgson fiasco and then there was the too soon (imo) sacking of Dalglish. I was so, so angry in the summer of 2012 and genuinely worried for the future of the club. I had a strong opinion and I expressed it in trademark style as per the above lolfest.

Judge me as you see fit, that it your right. But don't confuse an inability to predict the future allied to a strength of expression with a lack of love for the club. This season has been utterly magical and I'm starting to think maybe, just maybe we'll get to see Gerrard lift the big one after all these years.

Rodgers is winning me over week in, week out. And once I'm won over I'll argue his case just as strongly as I derided him. It's a lot more fun making that argument, believe me.

I nearly feel like giving Lucky a big hug...........nearly! :pac:

Nailing ones colours to the mast in such a steadfast manner was always a 50/50 risk - you could have looked like Captain Cassandra had it gone tits up and obviously I'm as glad as you that you are as wrong as you are ;)

I was won over very quickly but I'm cheap and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    So after our last result and Alan's and Lloyd's post is it fair to say that the thread is no longer split by Rodgers and is united! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Should we be called Liverpool UTD then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Too much backslappery for my liking - feels like a massive jinx to me. A disappointing draw against Cardiff will bring us crashing down to earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Rodgers out!
    Sturridge is too greedy!

There's something fishy about Skrtel to be honest.

murpho999 wrote: »

There's one or two who cannot tell us as they bailed out entirely from boards.ie and one or two who just keep a v-e-r-y low profile these days. Still its up to them to say if they are still agin Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Papadopoulos on for Schalke now. Lets see how that knee is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gafferino wrote: »
    Luckyloyd (or anyone else who went) I'd be interested to hear more of the match yesterday from the point of view of the stands?

Wasn't at the game!! Was away elsewhere.
    gafferino wrote: »
    Also on your post above, we were arguing donkeys ago over something and I said at the time there should be no apologies for opinions held. Different points of view are what make this forum interesting. The fact Rodgers can win over some of the more 'hard liners' only shows we are moving in the right direction. We need to continue this for 9 games and prepare in the summer. We seem to be in a much better position as a club to do that than we were in 09.

100% disagree with people who are going to rubbish someone after coming out with a post like that.

Discussion forums should be for robust exchanges of views, I agree. But there should be accountability too imo.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Brendan+Rodgers-cropped-450x226.jpg

Too long, didn't read.

Grayditch, where did you get the photo of the dog from? I swear to God it is the bloody spitting image of my own dog. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89517577&postcount=6856

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Morzadec wrote: »
    I agree with all that.

Some of the mid table teams in the PL can afford to spend £37.5m a player and not know how to use him ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Roll up Roll up lads, who's next to confess, Redzerdrog step forward son, now is your time to shine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mike65 wrote: »
    I still think eeking out Gerrards career is more wrong than right, that is to say sure he is doing okay at the moment (Utd were no test for example) but if he is still playing the role next season in Europe rather than having a guy like Fernando Reges playing then I'd be disappointed.

I spend a lot of time sitting on my hands (luckily Sturridge is scoring more since Jan Ist). :p

I'm happy that Suarez is not acting the maggot and has knuckled down without complaint - not many would have to such a degree in his position I think.

If you sit on your hand before touching your wood, it feels like somebody else is doing it. Supposedly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

djPSB wrote: »
    If you sit on your hand before touching your wood, it feels like somebody else is doing it. Supposedly.

I thought he may have been watching the games in a strip club or something!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement