Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

On a serious note, regardless of how this season finishes, this summer is absolutely huge for the club. We all know what happened in 2009 & so far, despite all his positives, Rodgers record in the transfer market hasn't been great. We need to get this summer right.

We really need to solidify our position this summer & move forward, investing in the calibre of player that hasn't been available to us the last few years. Otherwise I'd worry our position in the top 4 would be precarious going into next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

BenThere wrote: »
    Grayditch, where did you get the photo of the dog from? I swear to God it is the bloody spitting image of my own dog. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89517577&postcount=6856

Ben

That was about 3 beers ago, I have no idea. Google helped, that I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I love reading this thread.

The sanctimonious posts towards Lloyd are brilliant.

I had some genuine lols reading today in here. :D

I particularly love the 'well i hope you have learned' post/s towards Lloyd. Fking creasing me up tbh. And i will just use an example as to why.

Many people in and around here have been vocal about Gerrard in the holding role (or whatever people want to call it) but a good few have now gone 360 in the space of weeks (he might have a shocker next week, be careful not to get dizzy from all the turns). Done 360's on young players like Henderson etc in the same timeframe as Lloyds points. Many other examples, plenty hated the idea of Sturridge etc.

And then they talk about other posters not willing to give things a chance?????

:D:D:D

There's a lot of egg on many faces around here for various reasons and i dont think anyone is immune. Sticking up your own posts for ridicule isnt something many would do. If your gonna stick a knife in after that then you better have pretty fking virgin white record for accuracy yourself in your post history.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its about time someone did a bit on this, I am surprised it was holt.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-fans-taunting-liverpool-3257402
    Manchester United fans taunting Liverpool rivals with Hillsborough chant aren't just idiots, they're dishonest idiots

The chant that came from the Manchester United supporters in the K Stand at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon went like this: “The Sun was right, you’re murderers.”

It was aimed at the Liverpool fans sitting away to their left, but what I found most sinister about it were the denials that followed.

It wasn’t about Hillsborough. Oh, no. How could anyone think that? Just the press chasing an agenda again.

Not about Hillsborough? Really?

Why mention The Sun then, with the inevitable connection to be drawn about its front page headline after the Sheffield tragedy?

That’s what I find so bizarre: people sing these songs and then become unfeasibly angry when someone mentions it.

Are they ashamed? Are they playing some sort of sick game that allows them to accuse others of making it up?

You know what the truth is? The truth is that people who sing that song and then deny its meaning are not just idiots, they are dishonest idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dub13 wrote: »
    Its about time someone did a bit on this, I am surprised it was holt.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-fans-taunting-liverpool-3257402

One poster on the Utd thread mentioned that, Mikey I think. Dreadful stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Agueroooo wrote: »
    OK who is going to open a book on what is the contents of Lloyds upcoming promised post.

Im going with 'fűck me I apologise. I was truly wrong about Brendan Rodgers' ..currently @ 7/2

Or

'This sticky black tar of hate I have for Utd has almost become orgasmic to consume'..currently @ 13/8

There was money to be made but not one of ye bit lol

on a serious note...

@Lloyd
    excellently constructed post man and kudos to your open honesty.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    One poster on the Utd thread mentioned that, Mikey I think. Dreadful stuff altogether.

I have been at loads of these games home and away and to be honest I cant remember one game that it did not happen at. Its strange that it gets a mention now, maybe because fergie is not there anymore its the only thing I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will anything be done about it though?

I have been at loads of these games home and away and to be honest I cant remember one game that it did not happen at. Its strange that it gets a mention now, maybe because fergie is not there anymore its the only thing I can think of.

Probably onto something there. Moyes is starting to get a rough ride in the press too. The few journalists who dared to stick their heads above the parapet during Ferguson's reign did so at the price of extremely limited access to the club thereafter.

This place could do with a cleaning up first before we worry whats sang in the stands...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=102932

*check out the signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Wasn't at the game!! Was away elsewhere.

Discussion forums should be for robust exchanges of views, I agree. But there should be accountability too imo.

Absolutely! That's one of the best bits.

Don't know why I thought you were at the match, maybe it was someone else's post.

Probably onto something there. Moyes is starting to get a rough ride in the press too. The few journalists who dared to stick their heads above the parapet during Ferguson's reign did so at the price of extremely limited access to the club thereafter.

A mate of mine just sent this to Holt on twitter....
    damien ‏@tweets72 · 6m
    @OllieHolt22 why only mention the murderers chant now, going on for years. Has the elephant left the room or just gone the directors box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

RAWKish tbh, RAWKish conspiracy theories, and you (and Lloyd tbh) are better than that.

Let's not absolve Liverpool (fans?) of also being up to some pretty scummy behaviours.

that chant is clearly directed at Hillsborough, fair enough. Scum to do it, but it's amazing the way Liverpool fans never mention other Liverpool fans acting just as scummily.

Where there songs coming out of the Pool end at the weekend, nope, not that I heard, but Liverpool fans have and will do again. So mind your own house before pointing out the behaviour of others.

I actually find it even more scummy that Liverpool fans would use the tragedy in a point scoring exercise like this. Who the hell cares if certain scummy United fans are telling lies. Are ALL United fans telling lies? Nope. Are ALL Liverpool fans guilty of doing Munich gestures? Nope. Are scummers found in the support of both clubs, yes. Is one group of scum worse than another?

Depends. Are you trying to score points. "Yeah, well youse done it first".

Who cares, scummy behaviour is scummy behaviour, pointing it out only gives oxegen to these halfwits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mr Alan wrote: »
    On a serious note, regardless of how this season finishes, this summer is absolutely huge for the club. We all know what happened in 2009 & so far, despite all his positives, Rodgers record in the transfer market hasn't been great. We need to get this summer right.

We really need to solidify our position this summer & move forward, investing in the calibre of player that hasn't been available to us the last few years. Otherwise I'd worry our position in the top 4 would be precarious going into next season.

Agreed, I mentioned that above.
    I only hope that the owners recognise that Rodgers has got us into position ahead of schedule (their own 3 year plan) and that it is now vital to back that up.

No EL is a major factor in our season so far. It's going to be a lot different next year if we get CL. Of course holding onto Suarez goes without saying. You can guarantee that the this won't happen to utd again next season. Mourinho will buy strikers and City will benefit from a 2nd season for Pelligrini and new players I'm sure. Perhaps Arsenal might even splash out again.
    If they want the CL chest of gold regularly and all that goes with it then Hold this team together and add more. It's a no brainer surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Roll up Roll up lads, who's next to confess, Redzerdrog step forward son, now is your time to shine....

Read below
    daithijjj wrote: »
    I love reading this thread.

The sanctimomious posts towards Lloyd are brilliant.

I had some genuine lols reading today in here. :D

I particularly love the 'well i hope you have learned' post/s towards Lloyd. Fking creasing me up tbh. And i will just use an example as to why.

Many people in and around here have been vocal about Gerrard in the holding role (or whatever people want to call it) but a good few have now gone 360 in the space of weeks (he might have a shocker next week, be careful not to get dizzy from all the turns). Done 360's on young players like Henderson etc in the same timeframe as Lloyds points. Many other examples, plenty hated the idea of Sturridge etc.

And then they talk about other posters not willing to give things a chance?????

:D:D:D

There's a lot of egg on many faces around here for various reasons and i dont think anyone is immune. Sticking up your own posts for ridicule isnt something many would do. If your gonna stick a knife in after that then you better have pretty fking virgin white record for accuracy yourself in your post history.

By the way I have come full circle on Rodgers and since Christmas he has been winning me over week by week. I could never do an epic post on the topic like Lloyd did because quite frankly I don't have that many posts here so it would pale in comparison but if someone wants to drag up my concerns about Rodgers by all means go ahead and I will happily take ever critical word back (except for when he tried to get rid of Henderson but hey we all make mistakes)

Although many of my concerns where not aimed directly at Rodgers more so the club as a whole and this summer really is **** or bust I feel because they have not backed Rodgers properly in the transfer market in my opinion. He has been working miracles with the squad considering we didn't strengthen in January.

While I am delighted I was wrong about Rodgers I am just as happy I was right about Henderson and Sturridge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

RAWKish tbh, RAWKish conspiracy theories, and you (and Lloyd tbh) are better than that.

Let's not absolve Liverpool (fans?) of also being up to some pretty scummy behaviours.

that chant is clearly directed at Hillsborough, fair enough. Scum to do it, but it's amazing the way Liverpool fans never mention other Liverpool fans acting just as scummily.

Where there songs coming out of the Pool end at the weekend, nope, not that I heard, but Liverpool fans have and will do again. So mind your own house before pointing out the behaviour of others.

I actually find it even more scummy that Liverpool fans would use the tragedy in a point scoring exercise like this. Who the hell cares if certain scummy United fans are telling lies. Are ALL United fans telling lies? Nope. Are ALL Liverpool fans guilty of doing Munich gestures? Nope. Are scummers found in the support of both clubs, yes. Is one group of scum worse than another?

Who cares, scummy behaviour is scummy behaviour, pointing it out only gives oxegen to these halfwits.

Its the fact its going on for so long yet nothing is done,swept under the carpet so to speak, its good to see it mentioned for a change

Your missing the main point I was making here. It seems odd that this only gets reported now as anybody who was ever at one of these games will testify that the chants are an ongoing issue.

Dcully wrote: »
    Its the fact its going on for so long yet nothing is done,swept under the carpet so to speak, its good to see it mentioned for a change

Well, I'm more on about the fact that Dub13('s mate) is somehow apportioning blame to Ferguson.

It's crazy, and RAWK-esque.

Using that tragedy to get in a dig at Ferguson is stooping a bit low tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

How do people think the current Liverpool team would do in the Champions League, forgetting depth of squad to handle the volume of games. I mean just how competitive would our current best 11 be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone know if Match of the Day is on tonight?

• Advertisement

Your missing the main point I was making here. It seems odd that this only gets reported now as anybody who was ever at one of these games will testify that the chants are an ongoing issue.

I've never been at one of those games, and I can tell you it's an ongoing issue - that is not a secret.

United scum sing Hillsborough songs. But Liverpool scum sing Munich chants. Maybe when Kenny Dalglish leaves the club some paper may print that.

It's a crazy suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bit disappointed with Lloyd's post as I was looking forward to whipping up something myself for him at the end of the season! Nah, fair play to him. I know some people think it's petty to rake up old posts but I think we're all big boys now and be able to take a bit of stick for reminders of dodgy opinions. As Lloyd says accountability is a big part of everyday life and I think it says a lot about someone who can put their hands up and say he got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Going by his previous posting history, he's most likely not missing your point.

He's ignoring it on purpose to suit his weird agenda. No body was "point scoring" until he waltzed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Do i remember people wanting us to sign Sneijder at the start of the season or is that a memory blip of mine. He is a total fraud of a player judging by tonights lack of effort.

Knex. wrote: »
    Going by his previous posting history, he's most likely not missing your point.

He's ignoring it on purpose to suit his weird agenda. No body was "point scoring" until he waltzed in.

I know exactly what his point was - somehow blame ferguson for the hillsborough chants.

I know exactly what his point was - somehow blame ferguson for the hillsborough chants.

Lol. Are you serious?

Nobody blamed the chants on Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Certainly not how I read it.

The point he was making was very clear to me - most journalists never reported anything negative about Manchester United while Ferguson was there as they (and the papers they wrote for) knew what the consequences would be. Now that he's gone, that's no longer the case.

Milkers wrote: »
    How do people think the current Liverpool team would do in the Champions League, forgetting depth of squad to handle the volume of games. I mean just how competitive would our current best 11 be?

Not very tbh. You're loading 6 - 8 tough do or die games onto the pre Christmas section of the season.

I honestly think you are the only person to think that from reading the quoted tweet.

The suggestion being made is that Holt is only reporting it know cause he won't have to face Fergusons wrath.

How you think he was blaming Ferguson for the chants being sung is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

We've annihilated United and Arsenal this season and more than held our own against Chelsea and City. I'd have no fear of us being embarrassed in the group stage.

What?!!!!

Rumour has it, Fergie was in the stands with a big fuck off baton, conducting the Stretford End with vigorous motions and giant placards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This years squad has not been assembled with a Champions League campaign in mind.

We wouldn't be where we are in the league, but I fancy we'd have got through the group stages.

That's not what he said and certainly not what he meant.

These events are independent of each other:

- Utd fans chanting vile things;
    - the British media being afraid to print negative things about Man Utd during Ferguson's reign due to journalists being outcast from Old Trafford when they did same;

As such the chants yesterday have nothing to do with Ferguson or his retirement but the reporting of those chants definitely does.

This years squad has not been assembled with a Champions League campaign in mind.

We wouldn't be where we are in the league, but I fancy we'd have got through the group stages.

I think we will do well in CL with Rodgers system/style but we will need to add a few players yet to pull it off at that level.

• Advertisement

I heard a piece of music on Tv tonight, that in recent years I've come to associate with envy, disappointment and regret.

I hope in a few months time that piece of music fills me with excitement, joy and pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

It'll just be great to play in the CL again, playing the big teams once more - we'll not be embarrassed and at home especially we will be a match for anyone. On form now, i'd love to see us up against some of the big names even this year.

Be great to have the Euro aways back. Always the best trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that...

It would be a phenomenal achievement, absolutely. And I agree that the league is very competitive, so much so that we could be talking about winning the league this year and not being anywhere near certs for qualification to the CL the following year.

However, I'm not sure that the Premier League has some of the best teams in Europe in it anymore.

What I mean is that if you asked me to name the top 5 teams in Europe 5 years ago, I would probably be naming 3 possibly 4 teams.

Same question now, and I would be considering whether to put 1 in.

I have posted something similar a few times myself. Let's not get carried away with ourselves. When the PL was arguably the best league in Europe, PL clubs were winning the competition and were, Liverpool in paricular, one of the most feared clubs in Europe.

PL clubs are also rans in the CL these days and the PL is anything but the strongest league in Europe.

5 years ago Chelsea, United and ourselves were conceding less than 20 goals in a season. All 3 will concede over double that.

Back then, we have Reina, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano and Torres in our team. Chelsea had Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Robben and Drogba in theirs.

The same quality just isn't there in the league anymore. Attacking talent wise it may be a bit better but keepers, central defending and central midfielders in the top clubs have gotten considerably worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The premier league is definitely more competitve than it has been for 15 years. For years there was just Arsenal and ManU capable of winning it. More recently Chelsea and City, now Liverpool

More competitive and enjoyable, yes. But inferior quality.

You play the cards you are dealt though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thing is though, you look at the loan players we should have coming back in Wisdom, McLaughlin, Robinson, Ilori, Borini, Suso, Assaidi etc. Add to that potential signings that should improve our starting line up - we should be able to land the likes of Willian or Henri Mik....whatever with CL football and a reputation for being an up and coming club that plays good football.

I think Rodgers cast his nets for CL football next year and our squad should be much stronger after the next transfer window - all going to plan of course.

Don't get me wrong, some of the players we've loaned aren't worldbeaters...but they are young players who will work hard, given the chance. I see no reason why Borini, Suso, Assaidi etc. couldn't slot in for league games against lower league sides if we need to rest players for CL, certainly for FA & League cup games.

I have posted something similar a few times myself. Let's not get carried away with ourselves. When the PL was arguably the best league in Europe, PL clubs were winning the competition and were, Liverpool in paricular, one of the most feared clubs in Europe.

PL clubs are also rans in the CL these days and the PL is anything but the strongest league in Europe.

5 years ago Chelsea, United and ourselves were conceding less than 20 goals in a season. All 3 will concede over double that.

Back then, we have Reina, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano and Torres in our team. Chelsea had Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, Robben and Drogba in theirs.

The same quality just isn't there in the league anymore. Attacking talent wise it may be a bit better but keepers, central defending and central midfielders in the top clubs have gotten considerably worse.

I think PL clubs have stood fairly still to be honest. The defenses might not be as strong, but I'd argue that the attacks are much stronger.
    I may be wrong but I don't think there was anything like the depth of quality attacking players that the league now has - Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Mata, Rooney, RVP, Ozil, Cazorla, Sturridge, Suarez.

It's the fact that we have seen a consolidation of the best players in Europe in a few super-rich clubs on the continent - Bayern, Real, Barca and PSG.

Don't know how we can call PL clubs also rans in the CL - Chelsea won it the year before last and are a contender again this year. 4 PL clubs got to the last 16, but as I said, the power has just shifted to 3/4 continental clubs and Arsenal and City got the worst possible draws.

To be honest, the great Barcelona side of the last 5 years and the current great Bayern side would have been this dominant in the mid 00's

The top 4 has never been more difficult to break into and (we may find this out next season) to stay in. 6/7 years ago Pool/United/Chelsea/Arsenal could have a poor enough league campaign, but there was no one to overtake them. Moyes' Everton and Jol's Tottenham were the closest challengers but there was always wiggle room for the big sides.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Thing is though, you look at the loan players we should have coming back in Wisdom, McLaughlin, Robinson, Ilori, Borini, Suso, Assaidi etc. Add to that potential signings that should improve our starting line up - we should be able to land the likes of Willian or Henri Mik....whatever with CL football and a reputation for being an up and coming club that plays good football.

I think Rodgers cast his nets for CL football next year and our squad should be much stronger after the next transfer window - all going to plan of course.

Don't get me wrong, some of the players we've loaned aren't worldbeaters...but they are young players who will work hard, given the chance. I see no reason why Borini, Suso, Assaidi etc. couldn't slot in for league games against lower league sides if we need to rest players for CL, certainly for FA & League cup games.

At the very minimum we need a defender, a midfielder and a forward, all of starting quality. If we then lose no one from our first 11 we would be in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I want either Barca, Munich, Madrid or PSG in the group stages please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hard to say, really depends on the draw. One thing is that rodgers will have to start using more rotation, his "if a side wins a game it largely remains the same" way at the moment wont hold up with 3 games in 7/8 days some weeks. Will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Since lucas got injured and gerrard has played DM we have a record of
    Played 7
    Won 6
    Drew 1
    Lost 0
    For 23
    Against 7
    Pts 19
    We have hammered everton, arsenal and utd in that period. My opinion on Lucas is that he is too slow to play the DM position the way we play. Gerrard has been immense in the position and has all the attributes needed to play there for another season atleast. Covers the ground much quicker than lucas and his short and long passing is streets ahead of lucas.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

One rule for some and all that jazz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

There is no doubt Rodgers has worked on the defending. Since the Swansea game it seems a bit more solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

There is no doubt Rodgers has worked on the defending. Since the Swansea game it seems a bit more solid

Not really, Southampton cut us open but never took their chances. Utd were muck be we controlled them well. 2 games, we were solid in one and not the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement