Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Chelsea were beyond awful there.
    :D:D:D

That makes me soooo happy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They'd be better with a striker in the squad mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Citys subs were negredo, nasri and navas. Amazing we are right behind em in the league when you compare squads.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

5live wrote: »
    :D:D:D

That makes me soooo happy:D

I'm miffed I sat through 90 minutes (and 90 mins of Leverkusen choking against Schalke) of that!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

mike65 wrote: »

A good striker would have made little to no difference today. Every Chelsea player played like crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When the FA Cup draw was made I was happy to win in the league and lose in the Cup to Arsenal I felt the 3 points were the most important thing.

Now that we beat Arsenal and got 3 points I want the same result and performance tomorrow I want us to go out and beat Arsenal in the same way and destroy their confidence completely for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Salah looked terrible not regretting missing him yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think ye will win tomorrow myself.

A change in Liverpool has happened over past year. That game against Fulham the other night would have been a draw no question had it been the previous 10 years.

I have supported United for 25 years and that 30 minutes last week against Arsenal was a good as any team I have seen.

Have to say ye are easy on the eye at the minute and Rodgers has a clear vision for the club that seems to be coming good slowly.

PL is a possibility although I think City will edge it in the end, but Liverpool are back and here to stay for short term at very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

mike65 wrote: »

They have 3 strikers, Torres and eto are still good player s.

Been shot of confidence from their fans and management doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mav79 wrote: »
    It would be great if Pellegrini came out and said Chelsea are favourites for the title because they don't have the League and FA cups to worry about.:D

Brilliant:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

While I do think we'll get fourth this year, I'm not sure it'll mean as much as fourth would have in previous years. Given the spectacular decline in utd, it gives us a false impression of improvement in our club if we replace them in the top 4. Fair enough we may have a fair few extra points on this stage last season but if utd we're still under saf would we still be where we are. Unlikely I think. It's within our capability to catch arsenal at least I feel, maybe even more. It would be more of an indication of where we stand in the table now if we caught one of the regular top 4 inhabitants.

dr ro wrote: »
    While I do think we'll get fourth this year, I'm not sure it'll mean as much as fourth would have in previous years. Given the spectacular decline in utd, it gives us a false impression of improvement in our club if we replace them in the top 4. Fair enough we may have a fair few extra points on this stage last season but if utd we're still under saf would we still be where we are. Unlikely I think. It's within our capability to catch arsenal at least I feel, maybe even more. It would be more of an indication of where we stand in the table now if we caught one of the regular top 4 inhabitants.

It's a long time since I read such tripe
    If liverpool make top 4 it will be a brilliant achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Horsecrap - it will be a fantastic achievement to get top four considering the recent spending of the clubs above and directly below us - as compared to ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fair enough we may have a fair few extra points on this stage last season

This is the important part.

We're on course for 77pts. We may get more or we may get less.

I've had a look back over the years and that total has never failed to get a team a top 4 spot. In fact usually it's been closer to 1st than 5th.

If the current ppg stays the same for the top 4 it will be quite unusual. There has seldom been 3 teams on over 80 pts.

If we maintain this kind of points total we will virtually always get a CL spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

It means more every year that goes by as teams are getting more competitive alk the time. Also last year we finished behind Spurs and Everton? This year we'll hopefully finish ahead of them, never mind United. Massive improvement

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Surely its more of an achievement to make top 4 now. When we used to do it regular there were barely 4 teams who were genuinely good. Now there are 6 or 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Surely its more of an achievement to make top 4 now. When we used to do it regular there were barely 4 teams who were genuinely good. Now there are 6 or 7

That or there are now just 6 or 7 decent teams. Back then, those clubs dominated the CL to varying degrees. Given they are also rans now, am more inclined to to believe that it's easier to be in mix by being in that top 7 now than it was by being in that top 4 then.

I'm only echoing what other posters have said but if Liverpool where to achieve top four come end of season, I think it be right up there with when we needed to beat charlton on the last day of the season and Fowler netted a hat trick.

The last few years have been dreadful watching CL without Liverpool being involved.

That or there are now just 6 or 7 decent teams. Back then, those clubs dominated the CL to varying degrees. Given they are also rans now, am more inclined to to believe that it's easier to be in mix by being in that top 7 now than it was by being in that top 4 then.

Just to qualify this further, I don't really give a **** either was once we qualify for the CL.

We can worry about how well we will fare in it in 6 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If an English club (minus UTD) wins the CL. does that mean we still have to do the qualifiers? Or would be moved up into the group phase?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vicxas wrote: »
    If an English club (minus UTD) wins the CL. does that mean we still have to do the qualifiers? Or would be moved up into the group phase?

I'm not sure what you are asking? If we finish 3rd and Arsenal finish 4th but win the CL, I believe we will have to do the qualifier then, althogh open to correction there.

Where have we finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Where have we finished

For arguments sake let's say 3rd

For arguments sake let's say 3rd

I would say group stage could be wrong I would have thought utd would need to qualify
    That's just off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shocking post pure crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

tumblr_m4cw81PuUa1r1vcx3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

dr no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are asking? If we finish 3rd and Arsenal finish 4th but win the CL, I believe we will have to do the qualifier then, althogh open to correction there.

Hmmmm, you've forgotten the precious $1 I took off you when you suggested this was what would happen when Chelsea beat Bayern two years ago?????
    All 4 English teams would again go direct to the group stage if this happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ridiculous finishing fourth this year will be a great achievement anything higher than fourth will be amazing considering in the last four seasons 7th 6th 7th and 8th. Liverpool have been no where near 4th. Utd's decline will have no baring on us finishing ahead of teams that have finished ahead over the last four seasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I just think since Liverpool were last in the CL , City have billionaire owners, Spurs have spent millions, Everton are better etc. I think the PL is stronger as a whole. The race for fourth is much tougher now
    I agree though I couldnt give a sh1t either way as long as we make it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It is definitely harder than it has ever been to qualify for the Champions League.

59 points were enough to qualify in 2005

66 in 2006
    61 in 2007
    66 in 2008
    64 in 2009
    68 in 2010
    63 in 2011
    66 in 2012
    73 in 2013

Similar (or probably higher) will be needed in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's because 4th is so hard to attain nowadays, that I'm raging about not capitalising on our great start by bolstering in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think ye will win tomorrow myself.

A change in Liverpool has happened over past year. That game against Fulham the other night would have been a draw no question had it been the previous 10 years.

I have supported United for 25 years and that 30 minutes last week against Arsenal was a good as any team I have seen.

Have to say ye are easy on the eye at the minute and Rodgers has a clear vision for the club that seems to be coming good slowly.

PL is a possibility although I think City will edge it in the end, but Liverpool are back and here to stay for short term at very least.

Tis a shame that change only happened in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think being so close to the top would offset any doubts about United finishing way behind. Often under Rafa we'd still be way off 1st.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It is definitely harder than it has ever been to qualify for the Champions League.

59 points were enough to qualify in 2005

66 in 2006
    61 in 2007
    66 in 2008
    64 in 2009
    68 in 2010
    63 in 2011
    66 in 2012
    73 in 2013

Similar (or probably higher) will be needed in 2014.

It's when you add in other variables like goals conceded or CL success that those figures change in meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just drunkenly rewatched Istanbul. Milan's marking was shocking for Gerrard's goal. Watch it again, Riise has first cross charged down and even still they leave Stevie free in the middle for second attempt

Some header though.great viewing. Still can barely watch the peons. More of these nights please

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hmmmm, you've forgotten the precious $1 I took off you when you suggested this was what would happen when Chelsea beat Bayern two years ago?????
    All 4 English teams would again go direct to the group stage if this happened.

I'll rarely argue with you about those type of facts AJ. It was foolish of me to do it once even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm only echoing what other posters have said but if Liverpool where to achieve top four come end of season, I think it be right up there with when we needed to beat charlton on the last day of the season and Fowler netted a hat trick.

The last few years have been dreadful watching CL without Liverpool being involved.

I haven't been excited at all about the champions league matches the last few years without liverpool been involved.

I really miss those midweek liverpool European cup nights.

Hopefully we all see these great nights again next season, and it will be the beginning of a new chapter in the history of liverpool in europe.

• Advertisement

:confused: WTF man.?

Getting into the champions league qualification positions is what it's all about if a team does not finish at the top.

And there's no bloody false impression as liverpool have improved massively this season and are one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league this season.

And drop the If fergie was still there crap, great manager yes, but even man u fans knew he was on decline even though he won the league last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Dr ro is getting heaps of abuse for his post, but i agree with him to an extent. Finishing in the top four would be a huge achievement for us this season, very few of us would have expected it at the start of the season. However, if we finish fourth, it will presumably be at Uniteds expense. Which makes me feel that if United were still managed by ferguson and werent drastically underperforming this season, they would probably be ahead of us. Finishing third would be a far more significant achievement than finishing fourth, as it would truly represent that we have broken back into the big time, though either achievement would be good enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MR NINE wrote: »
    Dr ro is getting heaps of abuse for his post, but i agree with him to an extent. Finishing in the top four would be a huge achievement for us this season, very few of us would have expected it at the start of the season. However, if we finish fourth, it will presumably be at Uniteds expense. Which makes me feel that if United were still managed by ferguson and werent drastically underperforming this season, they would probably be ahead of us. Finishing third would be a far more significant achievement than finishing fourth, as it would truly represent that we have broken back into the big time, though either achievement would be good enough for me

But what you're then suggesting (I think) is that Utd would be doing better than we are now.

And that would require having 4 teams finishing on about 80 pts, which has never happened.

By sheer probability, ever year at least 1 team is a bit ****. The team that gets 4th is usually capitalising on that ****ness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

I hate it when we judge our success based on United, who gives a **** about them. We're 4th based on results not on them being sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Craic is 90 in here, tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Gbear wrote: »
    But what you're then suggesting (I think) is that Utd would be doing better than we are now.

And that would require having 4 teams finishing on about 80 pts, which has never happened.

By sheer probability, ever year at least 1 team is a bit ****. The team that gets 4th is usually capitalising on that ****ness.

I already feel like my post was a bad idea. Basically I think third or better would be a far bigger statement than fourth, as third or better would be displacing one of the big boys, whereas fourth would pretty much be United relinquishing their position by vitrtue of being ****. I dont mean to take away from liverpools season, weve been fantastic this season, but finishing in the top three would be finishing ahead of one of the title contenders, which would be a mammoth leap for this club given our expectations at the start of the season. I would have been happy with being in contention for top four in april, anything beyond that is an exceptional season based on my expectations
    Rafloution wrote: »
    I hate it when we judge our success based on United, who gives a **** about them. We're 4th based on results not on them being sh1te

I give a **** about them. Were fourth based on results, ours being good, and theirs being poor. If United werent having such a pitifully poor season by their standards wed be fifth right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MR NINE wrote: »

Who's to say United weren't actually over performing thanks to Ferguson?

Either way it's an utterly nonsensical argument. You can only try and finish above the other teams in the league in any given season. You are either good enough to do that or you aren't. To say Liverpool may only get a CL place because United have been crap is the type of thing I'd expect to see on Redcafe. In fact I have read it on there already.

jamaamaj wrote: »
    I haven't been excited at all about the champions league matches the last few years without liverpool been involved.

I really miss those midweek liverpool European cup nights.

Hopefully we all see these great nights again next season, and it will be the beginning of a new chapter in the history of liverpool in europe.

It just shows how much we took it for granted, the squad Rafa had built was fantastic and had us competing every year. But sometimes he made rash decisions. A moment that stuck with me was..
    gerrard-reaction-to-torres-sub-o.gif
    The win against Fulham the other night, Rafa might of been happy with a draw.

If United werent having such a pitifully poor season by their standards wed be fifth right now.[/QUOTE]

If we had put away West Brom & Villa we would be top - If's and But's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It just shows how much we took it for granted, the squad Rafa had built was fantastic and had us competing every year. But sometimes he made rash decisions. A moment that stuck with me was..

Wasn't a rash decision though, Torres was awful and Ngog should've won that game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement