Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I just don't see it happening. They are the weakest team in the QF draw after Dortmund (Utd fans will probably hope to get them) but making it beyond that? To the semi's? Winning a final against the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm embarrassed that you are even talking about the possibility of a CL win by that shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Augmerson wrote: »
    I just don't see it happening. They are the weakest team in the QF draw after Dortmund (Utd fans will probably hope to get them) but making it beyond that? To the semi's? Winning a final against the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern?

Last years runners up the second worst in the CL?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Last years runners up the second worst in the CL?

Under Ferguson. Moyes is not Ferguson. He is a million miles from him. One day he might emulate some of the success that Ferguson had. Moyes Utd looked nothing like Ferguson's Utd on Sunday and in the last half hour of the Olympiakos game they looked suspect. Utd this season are just nowhere near last season when they romped to the title and RVP was lethal.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ah man seriously? We are in the hunt for the title not 4th anymore.

Of course we are in the hunt for the title, but the order of the top 4 really is anyone's guess at this point.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Under Ferguson. Moyes is not Ferguson. He is a million miles from him. One day he might emulate some of the success that Ferguson had. Moyes Utd looked nothing like Ferguson's Utd on Sunday and in the last half hour of the Olympiakos game they looked suspect. Utd this season are just nowhere near last season when they romped to the title and RVP was lethal.

He's talking about Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Think he's referring to Dortmund.

Jesus sorry Super-Rush :pac: got mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed that you are even talking about the possibility of a CL win by that shower.

always a possibility of anything in football. if liverpool could win it in 2005 no reason why man utd couldn't in 2013, its a knockout tournament after all. that liverpool team beat a much better chelsea out than the current one, a team on the same level as barca/real are now in the quarters and a team just as good as bayern back then in the final.

they did all that with a slightly worse league record to man utds at this point

man utd 2013/14 p:29, w:14, d:6, l:9, f:46, a:34 Pts: 48
    liverpool 2004/05 p:29, w:13 d:5, l:11, f:41, a:30 Pts: 44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Liverpool team of 2005 had a very good midfield and very good centre half pairing. United have neither.
    Olympiakos had a lot of chances tonight, you won't have to ask Real, Barca or Bayern to score twice.
    I would rate there chances of winning or getting to the final even far less than Liverpool's in 2005. There is just too much quality in the teams left imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote: »

I really hope you don't live to regret that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Don't we all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hear that Mike, he just said he hopes you die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

rob316 wrote: »
    The Liverpool team of 2005 had a very good midfield and very good centre half pairing. United have neither.
    Olympiakos had a lot of chances tonight, you won't have to ask Real, Barca or Bayern to score twice.
    I would rate there chances of winning or getting to the final even far less than Liverpool's in 2005. There is just too much quality in the teams left imo.

We also had a manager that had won two La Ligas and a UEFA Cup in the previous three seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We also had a manager that had won two La Ligas and a UEFA Cup in the previous three seasons.

Yes that too!

Watched a golden El Classico match the other day, It was 2005 the year we were kings of Europe, Madrid had Zidane, Carlos, Raul, Ronaldo and ahem Beckham and Owen in their team, they spanked Barca, funny that we can claim to be better than them that year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

rossie1977 wrote: »
    always a possibility of anything in football. if liverpool could win it in 2005 no reason why man utd couldn't in 2013, its a knockout tournament after all. that liverpool team beat a much better chelsea out than the current one, a team on the same level as barca/real are now in the quarters and a team just as good as bayern back then in the final.

I'm willing to bet you any amount of your choosing that utd will not win the CL in 2013. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I couldn't see why any player like Shaqiri would want to go near Utd with Moyes at the helm and the way they are currently playing. Not unless they throw buckets of money at him. More likely us.

6973334-gift-of-money-stack-of-pound-sterling-bills-with-red-ribbon-isolated-on-white-background-high-qualit.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    It seems having Always the victim... in your sig is allowed.

Do not post on any thread about what you think 'seems to be', what is or what isn't allowed in the forum. Next time is a card and ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Any idea why Ilori has not featured in the last 5 games for Granada?

mada999 wrote: »
    6973334-gift-of-money-stack-of-pound-sterling-bills-with-red-ribbon-isolated-on-white-background-high-qualit.jpg

13760102884464.gif

Someone mentioned the Cardiff game earlier and followed up by saying they hate Solksjaer, but personally he was deffo a rare ManU player that I could never really hate, seemed a nice guy all round,good player, no beef with him at all, wouldn't mind seeing him do well at Cardiff tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I will go naked outside the GPO if they beat any team left in it over 2 legs. :pac:

WHAT!!!!

AGAIN????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I must say this thread has been an absolute pleasure to read this last few days.

I feel like thanking every post (yeah I know I have come fairly close to doing just that)

Cheers lads and good night:-)

Hope Chelsea get Utd in the draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

3 or 4 years conditioned to expect the worst, how about we don't mock neverousness until the eggs are all counted in the baskets, yeah? They don't call it a funny game for nothing. If the almost impossible isn't possible, I'll give up watching football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yeah but we need City to not win their three games in hand, Arsenal to lose one or two, same for Chelsea, plus we need to win against City, Chelsea and Spurs and beat everyone else as well.

All it takes is one draw for us and we drop further away, lose one and you can kiss the title goodbye.

I still say we are in a fight for a Champions League spot as long as United are still in the same competition. We can scoff all we like, but we all know from experience that United could win the CL and rob us for the fourth place spot.

I'd sooner see us collapse and finish fifth than have those fuckers steal the 4th place spot because they won the CL.

I think we can get away with 2 draws at most, unlikely any more than that, a loss and 1 draw would be stretching it.

Chelsea have 8 games left, maximum 90 points, Arsenal home and us away and 5 games against teams battling relegation.

We've a maximum of 89 with Chelsea and City, plus Spurs to play at Home plus 4 games against teams fighting relegation.

Arsenal same as us, Chelsea and Everton Away plus City at home in the next couple of weeks, 4 games against battlers.

City maximum 93, United, Arsenal, us and Everton Away so they should drop a few points, 5 games against relegation teams.

If we could beat both City and Chelsea that leaves a bit of room against others. A pile of draws when the top 4 play each other please, and United to beat City please!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's probably a good thing I can't find a score predictor/league calculator thingamajig, or I'd jinx the absolute ****e out of us.

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's probably a good thing I can't find a score predictor/league calculator thingamajig, or I'd jinx the absolute ****e out of us.

:D Cardiff first, tough enough game as will Palace and West Ham Away.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Grayditch wrote: »

Just multiply the number of games we have left by 3, and add that to our current total. Easy

• Advertisement

There's probably more chance of us dropping out of the top 4 as United winning the CL. It could happen, but until they are in a CL final I'm not going to worry about slim probabilities.

Third is in our own hands anyway and that's the minimum we should be hoping for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Watching the game last night I was once again so glad that we signed Henderson instead of Jones (iirc both us and ManU were interested in both at the time).....he looks more like a sub-county level GAA half-back rather than a Premier League defender.

Fellani looked handy at the edge of the square though when he came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

K-9 wrote: »
    Third is in our own hands anyway and that's the minimum we should be hoping for now.

Second is actually in our own hands!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah if we won our remaining nine games, we'd finish second at least.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Nope, Madrid and Bayern respectively please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rarnes1 wrote: »

So do I it would almost guarantee that chelsea have a CL semi final either side of our clash with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    Nope, Madrid and Bayern respectively please.

Probably the only way they will get to see 'Ronnie' coming 'home' and Kroos playing at Old Trafford.

So do I it would almost guarantee that chelsea have a CL semi final either side of our clash with them.

If Chelsea have a CL semi final that is arranged for the Tuesday after our game our match will be moved to Saturday which would cost me a lot to rearrange flights for at this point, so I don't want to take the risk.

Forgot about that. Jose will be trotting out the cliches for the press conference for our game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

If Chelsea have a CL semi final that is arranged for the Tuesday after our game our match will be moved to Saturday which would cost me a lot to rearrange flights for at this point, so I don't want to take the risk.

Ah yeh, it's all about you!!!

:P:D

• Advertisement

Brendan Rodgers rules out summer of big spending

(In fact, he does no such thing!)

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has insisted that the club will not be encouraged to spend too much in the summer transfer window.
    Rodgers believes that he does not need to make big changes to his improving Liverpool team, who currently occupy second position in the Premier League following Sunday's 3-0 win over Manchester United.

"Once you put your ideas in place and once the players start to crack it then we will have success. Money can't buy that," Rodgers told members of the media.
    "Teams spend a billion quid and it does not guarantee anything.
    "We will be in the market for good and top players but there is more to it than that."

So what he ACTUALLY said is that money won't buy success (hello Spurs!), and we will be in the market for the best players. As expected...

Just thinking again - we can be in the market for the best players again!
    I was so sick of saying "They won't come to us" due to no CL, and a general lack of competitiveness.

So if someone like Kroos, Shaqiri, Hulk, Witzel, and freebies like Montoya or Menez, we are absolutely in the conversation...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Ah yeh, it's all about you!!!

:P:D

Pretty much, ya ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

K-9 wrote: »
    Forgot about that. Jose will be trotting out the cliches for the press conference for our game.

I think Rodgers will be more than able to deal with Jose and won't get overly involved in that rubbish.

Just thinking again - we can be in the market for the best players again!
    I was so sick of saying "They won't come to us" due to no CL, and a general lack of competitiveness.

So if someone like Kroos, Shaqiri, Hulk, Witzel, and freebies like Montoya or Menez, we are absolutely in the conversation...

Not necessarily. While we have CL as a draw for next season (almost certainly) we still wouldn't pay the likes of Hulk or Kroos the wages they would demand if they wanted to move to us. There are 3 teams in England at least who are equipped to pay far larger wages than us, and Arsenal are financially quite a bit better off as well if they choose to pay those wages as they did with Ozil. We cannot afford to have 3/4 players on Suarez type wages, so generally won;t be in the market for the top stars or huge wage demanders. Some of the above though would be gettable in theory though, but as a rule we are still not competing for the top level of players.

Not necessarily. While we have CL as a draw for next season (almost certainly) we still wouldn't pay the likes of Hulk or Kroos the wages they would demand if they wanted to move to us. There are 3 teams in England at least who are equipped to pay far larger wages than us, and Arsenal are financially quite a bit better off as well if they choose to pay those wages as they did with Ozil. We cannot afford to have 3/4 players on Suarez type wages, so generally won;t be in the market for the top stars or huge wage demanders. Some of the above though would be gettable in theory though, but as a rule we are still not competing for the top level of players.

I dunno - we got rid of a lot of expensive players, so the only guys on serious money are Suarez and Stevie (and the latter will drop off in the next 2 seasons), and next tier of Johnson, Sturridge, Agger and Lucas,
    whereas City and Chelsea probably have 5/6 players paid at that top level. If FFP has ANY basis, we should be able to complete on wages based on great commercial revenue and better TV/PL placement money, and CL money to begin from next season too!

I think we can defo afford 2 more big name, big money players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Brendan Rodgers rules out summer of big spending

(In fact, he does no such thing!)

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has insisted that the club will not be encouraged to spend too much in the summer transfer window.
    Rodgers believes that he does not need to make big changes to his improving Liverpool team, who currently occupy second position in the Premier League following Sunday's 3-0 win over Manchester United.

"Once you put your ideas in place and once the players start to crack it then we will have success. Money can't buy that," Rodgers told members of the media.
    "Teams spend a billion quid and it does not guarantee anything.
    "We will be in the market for good and top players but there is more to it than that."

So what he ACTUALLY said is that money won't buy success (hello Spurs!), and we will be in the market for the best players. As expected...

Letting clubs know we wont be bent over a barrell....I don't think mega bucks needs to be spent anyway. Left back yes and possibly a DM- But that would be relegating Allen or Lucas and I think Allen is good enough to stay in the team. Sterling showed at the weekend that he is good enough to come in and play at the top of a diamond if needs be and I don't need to go on about Coutinho- If anything, I expect these two to come on another 10/15% performance wise next year. Right back is also a concern I guess, but Flanno, and I'm hoping McLaughlin, should be enough cover if Johnson is staying on, if he is not, then maybe a buy is needed.

I know if you are not adding to your squad you are standing still, but so much of our squad are no where near their peak and I see the current squad improving massively as it is going forward- A couple of new faces to keep things fresh- But there are plenty of academy players knocking on the door and plenty of loanees returning who will also be looking to show what they can do. I think the club is in a fantastic position in this regard at the moment and we don't need a host of players to come in and make it feel like the step from the academy to the first team is a massive step due to inflated squad numbers.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I don't think we will be shopping in the bargain basement nor do I think we will be trying to buy the elite type players either.

my guess is we will continue with the similar type targets as before (Costa, Mkhitaryan, Kono) but now with the ability of actually landing them.

I really do not have a problem with that as our scouting has been very impressive of late.

Just imagine if we had landed Costa .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Just imagine if we had landed Costa .

Suarez would have been tearing it up in La Liga instead of him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I dunno - we got rid of a lot of expensive players, so the only guys on serious money are Suarez and Stevie (and the latter will drop off in the next 2 seasons), and next tier of Johnson, Sturridge, Agger and Lucas,
    whereas City and Chelsea probably have 5/6 players paid at that top level. If FFP has ANY basis, we should be able to complete on wages based on great commercial revenue and better TV/PL placement money, and CL money to begin from next season too!

I think we can defo afford 2 more big name, big money players...

I think we can afford it but the Board won't offer players ridiculous money and they are kind of right in a way.

Just because you pay a player 300k per week, it doesn't mean he'll perform. I would hate to see the likes of Sturridge offered a deal like what Rooney was given.

Suarez is different, his performances are almost guaranteed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement