Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dickerty wrote: »
    I dunno - we got rid of a lot of expensive players, so the only guys on serious money are Suarez and Stevie (and the latter will drop off in the next 2 seasons), and next tier of Johnson, Sturridge, Agger and Lucas,
    whereas City and Chelsea probably have 5/6 players paid at that top level. If FFP has ANY basis, we should be able to complete on wages based on great commercial revenue and better TV/PL placement money, and CL money to begin from next season too!

I think we can defo afford 2 more big name, big money players...
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    I don't think we will be shopping in the bargain basement nor do I think we will be trying to buy the elite type players either.

my guess is we will continue with the similar type targets as before (Costa, Mkhitaryan, Kono) but now with the ability of actually landing them.

I really do not have a problem with that as our scouting has been very impressive of late.

Just imagine if we had landed Costa .

I agree with most of what Agueroooo says there. We have the ability to compete for really good players who would command 60-100k per week in wages, at least initially. FFP doesn't magically mean that we will be lsoing the run of ourselves. While revenue next season should be significantly higher than this season (it'll be 2 years before those figures are out though), we won't lose the run of ourselves in terms of wages. While just about ok in FFP terms, we still had hefty losses in the last couple of quarters, so 1 CL qualification will not mean we spend 80 on transfer fees and increase our wage bill by a large chunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's probably a good thing I can't find a score predictor/league calculator thingamajig, or I'd jinx the absolute ****e out of us.

http://www.the-mustard.com/predictor.html

djPSB wrote: »
    I think we can afford it but the Board won't offer players ridiculous money and they are kind of right in a way.

Just because you pay a player 300k per week, it doesn't mean he'll perform. I would to see the likes of Sturridge offered a deal like what Rooney was given.

Suarez is different, his performances are almost guaranteed.

What? you want us to pay Sturridge 15m a season? That's crazy talk. I can see him getting a bump in the summer with a new deal, but it won't be near the Suarez money, never mind Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

5starpool wrote: »
    What? you want us to pay Sturridge 15m a season? That's crazy talk. I can see him getting a bump in the summer with a new deal, but it won't be near the Suarez money, never mind Rooney.

Apologies typo. Definetley not.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

The Cardiff game aint on normal TV stations, where's a good place in Dublin to catch the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I don't think we will be shopping in the bargain basement nor do I think we will be trying to buy the elite type players either.

my guess is we will continue with the similar type targets as before (Costa, Mkhitaryan, Kono) but now with the ability of actually landing them.

I really do not have a problem with that as our scouting has been very impressive of late.

Just imagine if we had landed Costa .

That's a good description.

If when we are in competition with Spurs for a player we'll have CL to offer, plus hopefully more money to offer on wages with CL money and commercial deals.

Having said that FSG will be prudent, they aren't going to offer 150k a week to 3/4 players. They'll know keeping CL football will require investment, but no point spending everything in the one shop!

If Chelsea decide to Willian us, there isn't a hell of a lot we can do.
    8-10 wrote: »
    Suarez would have been tearing it up in La Liga instead of him

Hadn't Henry come out with his statement at that stage?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

question. would ye change our front two for anyone else ? bar messi/ronaldo

not saying there the best strikers in the world,but as a twosome they are awesome and scare defences ****less .. possibly one of the best partnerships in world football today,on this seasons form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

barone wrote: »

not saying there the best strikers in the world,but as a twosome they are awesome and scare defences ****less .. possibly one of the best partnerships in world football today,on this seasons form

On this season's form there is nobody at all I would have in place of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The Cardiff game aint on normal TV stations, where's a good place in Dublin to catch the game?

Its on Setanta yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Its on Setanta @ 14:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

K-9 wrote: »

Hadn't Henry come out with his statement at that stage?

Very possibly, I just feel it looked a lot like contingency planning. He's a pretty similar player to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hard to know if changing them would work - Zlatan + Costa for example might sound good but could be a mis-match.

The only thing I do know is that Liverpool would not have enough money to buy a better combination of existing star strikers, the club would still get out bid for the absolute top level names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sinnotts or the Woolshed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mike65 wrote: »
    hard to know if changing them would work - Zlatan + Costa for example might sound good but could be a mis-match.

The only thing I do know is that Liverpool would not have enough money to buy a better combination of existing star strikers, the club would still get out bid for the absolute top level names.

I'd love to see either Zlatan or Aguero next to Suarez but it's not going to happen at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Id say the team still needs a decent bit of surgery in the summer, moses and cissokho will return to their parent clubs which leaves us with

gks

Mignotlet
    Reina
    Jones

defenders

Agger
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Toure
    Coates
    Illori
    Johnson
    Flanno
    Kelly
    Enrique
    Wisdom
    Robinson

midfielders

Gerrard
    Allen
    Hendo
    Lucas
    Coutinho
    Alberto

attackers

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Sterling
    Borini
    Aspas
    Ibe
    Suso
    Teixiera
    Assaidi

if we get champions league well need some first team quality coming in. On the goalkeeper side, reina will be sold, jones needs upgrading but can remain 3rd choice, so reina out and hopefully a young quality keeper comes in but that will be a hard task.
    We are bloated on centre halfs, coates will assumably be sold. Its hard to know what will happen with agger/skrtel. Toure will probably be periphary at best and illori assumably becomes 4th choice. Full back remians a problem, enrique is m.i.a, robinsons ship has probably sailed. Flanno is doing superb but i would still like to see a starting eleven quality lb come in. Right back is a head scratcher, johnson could easily be gone in the summer, kelly is probably off too and wisdom although doing well on loan is still young and raw. Again, we probably need a starting quality rb to come in.
    Midfield is very light for a team that prefers 3 in the middle, atleast one quality, if not two midfielders need to be brought in.
    Attack is good, assaidi will be sold probably and one of aspas/borini will probably be off too. I still think a winger would be nice e.g kono/shaqiri. Younger plays could be loaned out.

I guess id be happy with a back up gk a full back who can play lb/rb e.g montoya whod go for feck all a quality midfielder and another attacker. I think 4 players in of quality would be good going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

We definitely need to add to our midfield to increase squad depth. We've been very unlucky with injuries with our back 4 this year but I'm happy enough with who we have. Maybe some cover with a flexible left/right back would be nice to have. Up front we can't complain with the goal tally but I'd try to sign someone young with heaps of potential who won't mind being rotated. I don't think Aspas is at the level we are going to be playing at in the CL but I'm open to change my mind when he has been with us a little longer but I have to be honest nothing I have seen has warranted keeping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mamadou Sakho is under no illusions about the size of the challenge facing him upon his return to full fitness, but it is a test that the French defender is keen to embrace in Liverpool's final nine games

"Two-and-a-half months is a long time to be out and it was tough. It took much longer than we thought but I had to listen to my body.

"Initially we thought it was the muscle in my hamstring but it turned out to be the tendon which was causing the problem and that took more time to heal. I worked really closely with the medical staff to get back.

"It will be difficult to get back in the team because everyone is playing well, but at a big club like Liverpool you expect competition for places.

"Things are never easy in football. I am working hard and I am ready for when the manager needs me. There are still nine games to play and a lot to play for. I also need to win my place in the France squad for the World Cup."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/159431-i-m-ready-for-when-the-boss-needs-me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Knex. wrote: »

Was in Woolshed for United game.

Excellent place to watch a match. You'll never walk alone was going by the end of the game.

Smicer coming back for the 'Celebration of the 96' next month. Really liked him, seemed like a nice fella too.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/159452-smicer-it-s-been-nine-years-too-long

oh...and he did this...............

smicer27oj6ui.gif

Smicer205.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd be gutted for Sakho if he missed out on the World Cup after his heroic performance vs Ukraine in the Playoffs. His leadership and ability/potential were on full show that day.

edit - Saul would be upset because he wants to see him and Matuidi dance again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

klose wrote: »
    Id say the team still needs a decent bit of surgery in the summer, moses and cissokho will return to their parent clubs which leaves us with

gks

Mignolet - IN
    Reina - OUT
    Jones - OUT
    NEW BACKUP KEEPER NEEDED

defenders

Agger - IN
    Skrtel - IN
    Sakho - IN
    Toure - IN
    Coates - OUT
    Illori - IN
    Johnson - IN (on new lower deal)
    Flanno - IN
    Kelly - OUT
    Enrique - IN
    Wisdom - IN
    Robinson - PL LOAN
    NEW LB NEEDED, MAY MEAN MOVING ON ENRIQUE

midfielders

Gerrard - IN
    Allen - IN
    Hendo - IN
    Lucas - IN
    Coutinho - IN
    Alberto - IN (NOT SURE A LOAN WOULD BENEFIT MUCH)
    NOT ENOUGH COVER HERE, 1 DEFENSIVE AND 1 ATTACKING MINDED CM

attackers

Suarez - IN
    Sturridge - IN
    Sterling - IN
    Borini - IN
    Aspas - OUT
    Ibe - PL LOAN
    Suso - IN
    Teixiera - LOAN
    Assaidi - OUT
    ATTACKING MINDED CM MAY BE THE NEW ATTACKER, WITH BORINI AS BACKUP STRIKER

So I make that 1 FB, 2 midfielders and 1 attacked. Moreno, M'Vila, Dzagoev, Muriel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

brevity wrote: »
    "Your not terrible Muriel"

I lolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Grayditch wrote: »
    I lolled.

Me too!

"Goodbye, Porpoise Spit!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Good ol Kolo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

Dickerty wrote: »
    Just thinking again - we can be in the market for the best players again!
    I was so sick of saying "They won't come to us" due to no CL, and a general lack of competitiveness.

So if someone like Kroos, Shaqiri, Hulk, Witzel, and freebies like Montoya or Menez, we are absolutely in the conversation...

other side of the coin..
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/370513/EXCLUSIVE-Manchester-United-rocked-as-PSG-star-Edinson-Cavani-rejects-Old-Trafford-move
    :D

Cavani would make a nice back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If Hulk comes to Liverpool I will not watch a game until he leaves, live/recorded/highlights, whatever. He's absolute muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Hulk comes to Liverpool I will not watch a game until he leaves, live/recorded/highlights, whatever. He's absolute muck.

:confused:

He's not muck. He's been a 1 in 2 forward for a while now. He's overpaid currently, but there is a bundle of talent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I heard somewhere that he is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

He's been a 1 in 2 forward for a while now.

We only deal with 1 in 1 forwards now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

gafferino wrote: »
    Smicer coming back for the 'Celebration of the 96' next month. Really liked him, seemed like a nice fella too.

Yep, liked him too, reckon I was the only one of my mates who did, all the rest thought he was **** :)

His last minute volley (winner) against Chelsea was special too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

He's not muck. He's been a 1 in 2 forward for a while now. He's overpaid currently, but there is a bundle of talent there.

Any time I have seen him he has been muck. All power, no technique or subtlety. It'd be like signing Heskey again. We're better than that, we play better football, we dont want to go back to that.

There's only one Zenit player I'd love to see us sign, and it ain't Hulk.

• Advertisement

Any time I have seen him he has been muck. All power, no technique or subtlety. It'd be like signing Heskey again. We're better than that, we play better football, we dont want to go back to that.

I've given Hulk a lot of stick over the years (and he usually responds by being average for the most part at best.. then scoring an absolute worldie like he has done against Liverpool or Dortmund -_-), but that's very harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

It'd be like signing Heskey again.

So what's your point? :)

We need this deal done tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

But he is already here :)
    HULK.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Witsel would have me creaming pant.

How have I only seen this now!? This is brilliant. You need to watch both!

• Advertisement

hefferboi wrote: »

Was excellent last night, unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I reckon the four below are definitely gone.

Reina is definitely gone. Those bridges have been burned a long time ago and there's no point going over it.
    Coates will almost certainly be out the door too. Apparently he's a month away from being fit, so hopefully he can get game time in Uruguay, get a World Cup spot and impress there so we can get something back for him.
    Robinson - I get the feeling that Rodgers lost patience with him after that game against Oldham awhile back. Also, if he was truly wanted, I think he would have signed a contract by now (transfermarkt says his contract expires in the Summer).
    Assaidi has been a bit-part player at Stoke and hasn't exactly been racking up goals/assists. There are too many players ahead of him now.

There's a few who I have no idea about.

If Alberto wasn't a Rodgers signing, I would say he was almost definitely out the door at the end of the season. If a player is delivering (Suarez or Sturridge), then who cares if they aren't tracking back. But for a player like Alberto, who hasn't delivered, you just cannot excuse his lack of work rate, tracking back and determination. The fact he isn't even making the matchday squad these days suggests that he isn't performing in training either.

Aspas at least is still in the matchday squads, and getting a few token minutes.

Borini - will he be content to warm the bench? (assuming we bring in another big signing like Konoplyanka)

Kelly is one we don't seem to speak about at all anymore. By all accounts, he is back and fully fit. Right now though, it just looks like there is no place for him even as a squad player.

Is there a presser today?

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Was excellent last night, unsurprisingly.

He was excellent against us last year too. Dominated midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Christ.

hefferboi wrote: »

Sounds like a side order with your Sunday carvery - "Marrowfats? Creamed pant?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't know why people get their knickers in a twist over a player who we have just about no chance in getting.

Might as well just be done with it and start demanding that we put a bid in for Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I heard somewhere that he is incredible

He has a fierce temper as well....you won't like him when he's angry

gafferino wrote: »
    Is there a presser today?

Should have been one earlier alright, but I didn't see anything about it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cartman78 wrote: »
    He has a fierce temper as well....you won't like him when he's angry

We'd see a few of these for him in the stands:

Bruce.png

It's a... Bruce banner...

I'm so sorry...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement