Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

dfx- wrote: »
    Wasn't a rash decision though, Torres was awful and Ngog should've won that game.

Was he not injured as well. I don't think he played for a bit after that game.

Well maybe if utd had ferguson he would have taken points off Chelsea and city and liverpool would be 2nd in the league instead of fifth. If utd had drawn with city and beat Chelsea home and away liverpool would be 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Who's to say United weren't actually over performing thanks to Ferguson?

Either way it's an utterly nonsensical argument. You can only try and finish above the other teams in the league in any given season. You are either good enough to do that or you aren't. To say Liverpool may only get a CL place because United have been crap is the type of thing I'd expect to see on Redcafe. In fact I have read it on there already.

Lol at this forum, Ferguson over performing for 20 odd years while Liverpool are having an excellent 6 months and are in fourth spot.

The mind boggles

Can't believe any Liverpool fan talking about 4th about being an achievement or not. It's what, 4 years since yous were in the CL? Wednesday nights are Champions' League night (I know it's on Tuesdays now as well but that's not the point. :pac: ). How can a Liverpool fan think of a Wednesday night match with YNWA getting bellowed out and some Ukrainian team ready to park the bus and not get incredibly excited?

Also it would suit me as a few of my mates support Liverpool fans and would mean weeknight cans. :P Hopefully yous are on the night Arsenal aren't. :pac:

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Lol at this forum, Ferguson over performing for 20 odd years while Liverpool are having an excellent 6 months and are in fourth spot.

The mind boggles

I don't get what point your trying to make.

niallo27 wrote: »

I do, he's looking for people to respond to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

niallo27 wrote: »

There wasn't a point - just a couple of statements.

Ferguson's had a good 20 years.
    Liverpool have been doing well for 6 months.

In other news, grass is green.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

MR NINE wrote: »
    Dr ro is getting heaps of abuse for his post, but i agree with him to an extent. Finishing in the top four would be a huge achievement for us this season, very few of us would have expected it at the start of the season. However, if we finish fourth, it will presumably be at Uniteds expense. Which makes me feel that if United were still managed by ferguson and werent drastically underperforming this season, they would probably be ahead of us. Finishing third would be a far more significant achievement than finishing fourth, as it would truly represent that we have broken back into the big time, though either achievement would be good enough for me

I'm sorry but i think thats a silly statement. IF utd were managed by SAF? Well they aren't, so move along. IF we weren't underpreforming? Maybe we weren't underpreforming. With the players we had maybe thats the level we were at. Since bR has had a chance to make some signings of his own and changed the way we play we have progressed. We were only underpreforming in comparison to our history, that was all. Our playing staff, I honestly think were not really underpreforming. I think we were average at best. We are streets ahead of Kennys Liverpool. Thank God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't see the point, Fergie stepping down was always going to be tough for United and no doubt it wont be too long til they are back. That narrative reads like The Liverpool were good, opposition crap stuff we often seen up to this season, yep we probably are lucky a couple of things have helped us this season, but that doesn't mean being 4th now and 4 points of top isn't great progress. We've a lot of rebuilding done and more to do, plus we are coming from finishing behind Everton and Spurs regularly, never mind Arsenal and United.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Who cares about United?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This thread has gone weird over the past dozen or so hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LFC only do well when others do poorly.......

We are where we are on Merit, what other clubs could be doing or not is completely irrelevant. As Bob Paisley said, "No-one has a right to win something they haven't earned". If we finish in the top 4, and there is a long way to go still, we'd have earned it, just like we deserve to be where we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Dont worry if we lose today normal service will resume :)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Hours?

This thread is always weird :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

sh__93 wrote: »

Thought he did alright. Generally positoning and distribution was good. Could work on headers and got caught once or twice but his pace got him back to tackle. Gave away a free outside the box and took a card which looked smart as your man was about to shoot. From that clip the other 3 defenders played absolutely sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Oranage2 wrote: »

The mind boggles

I think they were just trying to draw you out of hiding.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thought he did alright. Generally positoning and distribution was good. Could work on headers and got caught once or twice but his pace got him back to tackle. Gave away a free outside the box and took a card which looked smart as your man was about to shoot. From that clip the other 3 defenders played absolutely sh1te

You can see the reason why he was signed. Composed on the ball, always looking to pass, manages to find his man with the pass as well. Just a shame that the receivers fluffed it alot in that game. Appears to have decent positional sense as well....although it looks more like he's covering the rest of the defensive line as well. But that will only make him a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The argument with United is nonsensical. The only impact they would have on us is that we'd possibly Be 3 points less off than we are now. That's the only impact they would have on us. Equally they would have an impact on what's above us. They may or may not have taken points from the teams above us.

Eitherway at this moment in time Liverpool would still be in the mix.

You could argue that Ferguson capitalised on LfC's downfall in the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

dr ro wrote: »
    While I do think we'll get fourth this year, I'm not sure it'll mean as much as fourth would have in previous years. Given the spectacular decline in utd, it gives us a false impression of improvement in our club if we replace them in the top 4. Fair enough we may have a fair few extra points on this stage last season but if utd we're still under saf would we still be where we are. Unlikely I think. It's within our capability to catch arsenal at least I feel, maybe even more. It would be more of an indication of where we stand in the table now if we caught one of the regular top 4 inhabitants.

10gvO.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ok, after reading here I'm discounting and discrediting 12 of Fergie's thirteen titles because the Liverpool team that had dominated the 80's had declined and was not challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I still cry a little inside when I think of Wimbledon in 1988. How did that happen :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

BMJD wrote: »
    I still cry a little inside when I think of Wimbledon in 1988. How did that happen :(

They scored.....we didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

was a mad game
    penalty aside Beardsley missed a sitter. we were all over them and didn't play well. think that was the year of Liverpool 5 notts forest 0. god it was an awesome team.
    oh and what arsenal did to us the following year was much much MUCH worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Blanked it from my memory. Never happened. No idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ilori is starting again for granada v betis at 11 if anyone is interested

• Advertisement

Blanked it from my memory. Never happened. No idea what you're talking about.

Not to worry, it's been solved: they scored, we didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gimli2112 wrote: »
    was a mad game
    penalty aside Beardsley missed a sitter. we were all over them and didn't play well. think that was the year of Liverpool 5 notts forest 0. god it was an awesome team.
    oh and what arsenal did to us the following year was much much MUCH worse

That end of season in 89 was a knackered team, they played 3 games in 6 days one being 120 mins, yes it was heart breaking but understandable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Our newest La Liga loan star is already in the thick of it.
    It's in the back of the net! Tiago Ilori (Granada CF) plays it into the box, and Piti (Granada CF) gets on the end of a cross to put it into the bottom left corner. 1:0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Here is a video of the assist by Tiago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Rafloution wrote: »
    I hate it when we judge our success based on United, who gives a **** about them. We're 4th based on results not on them being sh1te
    Ah but them being sh1te makes it just that bit sweeter:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Any rumored team news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok, after reading here I'm discounting and discrediting 12 of Fergie's thirteen titles because the Liverpool team that had dominated the 80's had declined and was not challenging.

Might as well discont the first 4 months of Liverpool's season then because Spurs were crap.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

All trophy victories should be declared null and void as someone somewhere along the line would have been sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is this sort sort of obscure metaphor about how Liverpool should not slack off in the FA Cup?

Going out on the pull on Saturday = chase for Champions League :confused:
    Potential hot chick at Christening = FA Cup glory :confused:

Might have been a good idea to buy a couple of spare shirts in the January sales so if that's your intention

I think my decision during the January sales to not invest in a new shirt could turn out to be a very costly mistake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Brendan Rodgers is such a cool customer with the media interviews. He doesnt seem to get ruffled the way Rafa used to get at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

hefferboi wrote: »
    Any rumored team news?

Havent seen anything but i imagine it will be the same as fulham with agger in for toure and allen in for hendo if he hasent been passed fit to play. Hopefully tex is on the bench again too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

mike65 wrote: »
    Our newest La Liga loan star is already in the thick of it.
    Betis are god awful, but in fairness to Ilori he put in a faultless display. Thought he looked very confident and assured on the ball, so I am not surprised Brendan signed him. I still think his real test will come in the Premier League next season when the pace will be greater and he will have some big lumps trying to take lumps out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Betis are god awful, but in fairness to Ilori he put in a faultless display. Thought he looked very confident and assured on the ball, so I am not surprised Brendan signed him. I still think his real test will come in the Premier League next season when the pace will be greater and he will have some big lumps trying to take lumps out of him.

Hopefully he will be on loan with someone in the Premiership next year, a year with the likes of Norwich, Sunderland or Fulham and you would see if he could handle the Premiership. No point having him sit on the bench for Liverpool all year.

Dub13 wrote: »

Utd have pulled out?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Utd have pulled out?

Only if they manage to get into the Europa League qualifiers afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

mav79 wrote: »
    Hopefully he will be on loan with someone in the Premiership next year, a year with the likes of Norwich, Sunderland or Fulham and you would see if he could handle the Premiership. No point having him sit on the bench for Liverpool all year.

Surely Reina, Toure, Johnson &/or Agger will be off loaded after this season?
    Is an offer came in for lucas came in of anything over 10 million for lucas I would take it..
    That would at 25 million to kitty. I am presuming we have about 25 million in the kitty as we speak and if we get champions league we would have another 25 million in the kitty......
    Buy M'villa and the ukranian chap from dnipro and a serious right back back and we have a very young powerful,skillful,hungry team.
    Any business should be done before the world cup.
    Cissokho and Moses returned to where they came fairly lively.
    ANy

Mignolet
    Right Back???(Kelly) Skrtel(Wisdom) Sakho(Ilori) Enrique (flanagan)
    Gerard (Allen)
    M'villa(henderson)
    Coutinho (Suso)
    Sterling(The ukrainian) Suarez(Assaidi)
    Sturridge(Borini)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Rodgers pre match presser. Nothing very different there, but may pass time for some waiting for the game.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1c3ryn_rodgers-fa-cup-press-call_lifestyle

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Surely Reina, Toure, Johnson &/or Agger will be off loaded after this season?
    Is an offer came in for lucas came in of anything over 10 million for lucas I would take it..
    That would at 25 million to kitty. I am presuming we have about 25 million in the kitty as we speak and if we get champions league we would have another 25 million in the kitty......
    Buy M'villa and the ukranian chap from dnipro and a serious right back back and we have a very young powerful,skillful,hungry team.
    Any business should be done before the world cup.
    Cissokho and Moses returned to where they came fairly lively.
    ANy

Mignolet
    Right Back???(Kelly) Skrtel(Wisdom) Sakho(Ilori) Enrique (flanagan)
    Gerard (Allen)
    M'villa(henderson)
    Coutinho (Suso)
    Sterling(The ukrainian) Suarez(Assaidi)
    Sturridge(Borini)

Would you be happy with only two experienced CBs in the squad, Wisdom has no senior games in the centre and Ilori is has only two games with Granada. I'd prefer Ilori to have a bit more experience before having to rely on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

dfx- wrote: »
    Wasn't a rash decision though, Torres was awful and Ngog should've won that game.

This this thisthisthis.

It's amazing that you still see the simplistic nonsense that goes along the lines of "Rafa took Torres off - well that must mean he was happy with a draw then. Sure he's a defensive coach dontcha know".

It's just bollocks. It was bollocks then and it's bollocks now.
    MR NINE wrote: »
    I already feel like my post was a bad idea. Basically I think third or better would be a far bigger statement than fourth, as third or better would be displacing one of the big boys, whereas fourth would pretty much be United relinquishing their position by vitrtue of being ****. I dont mean to take away from liverpools season, weve been fantastic this season, but finishing in the top three would be finishing ahead of one of the title contenders, which would be a mammoth leap for this club given our expectations at the start of the season. I would have been happy with being in contention for top four in april, anything beyond that is an exceptional season based on my expectations

I'd agree with you if we were looking like we were going to limp to 4th.
    But as it is we're going to have an extremely strong pts total - the sort that never fails to get 4th if we maintain our ppg. Literally never ever fails to get 4th. Like it's never happened that 77pts hasn't gotten a CL spot (at least not in the last 20 years).

It's more unusual that such a pts total (should we reach it) would only get 4th and not have you finish higher.

If anyone finishes 4th ahead of us they're going to have to get close to 80 pts, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

mav79 wrote: »
    Would you be happy with only two experienced CBs in the squad, Wisdom has no senior games in the centre and Ilori is has only two games with Granada. I'd prefer Ilori to have a bit more experience before having to rely on him.

Which one would you keep? Agger or Toure?
    If you can get money for Agger I would let him go?
    We got Toure on the cheap and we wouldn't not get much for him not to mention he is seems to be a positive influence on the other players.
    I'd say Agger is on a nice wedge and he definitely does not command it anymore...

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Which one would you keep? Agger or Toure?
    If you can get money for Agger I would let him go?
    We got Toure on the cheap and we wouldn't not get much for him not to mention he is seems to be a positive influence on the other players.
    I'd say Agger is on a nice wedge and he definitely does not command it anymore...

As a fan, I would prefer not to sell either unless there is another coming in, I'd have Wisdom in the squad and leave Ilori get experience on loan. Even with ample cover this year we are still down to the bare bones because of injuries.
    I can understand if the owners have to sell a defender to balance the books but it is a huge risk to expect a young player like Ilori to be back-up for your main CB pairing.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Swansea are resting lots of players in their game today against Everton.

expect them to be pretty fresh some next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

ollie1 wrote: »
    Here is a video of the assist by Tiago

I Fixed your Links. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement