Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

One of the defenders got caught by the bounce of the ball and completely missed his header, sent Rodriguez clean through. Naughton I think it was, awful stuff.

Dire stuff.

First lesson from the first coach we had was go to the ball, don't wait for it to come to you. Terrible.

Lallana for no.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

One of the defenders got caught by the bounce of the ball and completely missed his header, sent Rodriguez clean through. Naughton I think it was, awful stuff.

Another howler LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Spurs are awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Champions League spot is ours lads unless we have one hell of a collapse. My only worry now is finishing in the top three rather than fourth.

In fact, it's more likely Everton will challenge closer to the top four than Spurs will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

4th is safe now from Spurs and Moyes might be safe if he can catch Spurs now as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

monkey9 wrote: »
    . My only worry now is finishing in the top three rather than fourth.

#believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Spurs are awful

The 'I want to live in London brigade', good luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agger was made to look like a lumbering, cumbersome dickhead for their second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For me this goal sums up Liverpool under Brendan Rodgers. That backheel is just sexy football.

22-03-2014-GifNumber-223.gif

I thought Sturridge was chancing his arm but that's fine by me.

There's not enough arm-chancing backheels in the box for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Gbear wrote: »

It was meant IMO, you can hear Suarez screeching for the ball.

Gbear wrote: »

But that's what Liverpool have been doing all season chancing there arm that is the freedom Brendan Rodgers has given the players. Go out there and have fun try the unexpected and if it doesn't come off don't worry try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Wouldn't agree. He was isolated inside his own box. Very little he could do only attempt to stand him up, I Didn't see him taking it onto his left now myself but he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just chatting to a friend of mine while ago and the conversation got around to how many good footballing sides are now in the PL. Even Stoke play football now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

5live wrote: »
    Even Stoke play football now.

To me this is a myth that began in pre-season and has just not gone away. Anytime I've watched them they've been fairly similar to last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

My mistake, the same as Soldado then. Which is still hardly a ringing endorsement of a striker!

Remember the outrage on here when Soldado signed for Spurs last summer :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

djPSB wrote: »
    Remember the outrage on here when Soldado signed for Spurs last summer :o

Yep, I believe some posters wanted Sturridge dumped like yesterdays jam for Soldado.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Anyone have a link to the highlights of the match.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

To me this is a myth that began in pre-season and has just not gone away. Anytime I've watched them they've been fairly similar to last season.

Was watching them on Match of the Day last week and they looked quite positive in how they were playing.
    Seems like Hughes is giving them licence to pass the ball around a bit. Stephen Ireland was pretty much running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Wouldn't agree. He was isolated inside his own box. Very little he could do only attempt to stand him up, I Didn't see him taking it onto his left now myself but he did.

He showed Campbell inside to all the space. Rudimentary stuff. And then when Campbell pushed it to his left Agger ended up nearly 3 yards from him. Very poor defending by any standards which doesn't include the countless times he tends to totally switch off during games.

• Advertisement

Yep, I believe some posters wanted Sturridge dumped like yesterdays jam for Soldado.

Good few had money on Spurs to win the title too if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Funny as watching Tottenham is recently, I think it'd be better if they got the Europa spot, otherwise under a decent manager with no Thursday night distractions they could make a decent run at T4 next year.
    Ideal finish positions is really Tottenham 5th (Europa Group stage spot*) and MUFC 6th (Europa Playoff spot*)

* if anyone other than Arsenal win the FACup then 5th in the league will be the playoff spot and 6th will have to play two rounds of qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Good few had money on Spurs to win the title too if I remember correctly.

Best tenner I've ever lost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I thought he was even poor for their first. Closed his legs and turned his head away from the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Just realised the Sunderland game is on Sky Sports 1 on Wednesday, good stuff...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Maye83 wrote: »
    Just realised the Sunderland game is on Sky Sports 1 on Wednesday, good stuff...

All our remaining games are on SKY.

we're back

:)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Agueroooo wrote: »
    All our remaining games are on SKY.

we're back

:)

Not quite. May TV fixtures have not been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

But that's what Liverpool have been doing all season chancing there arm that is the freedom Brendan Rodgers has given the players. Go out there and have fun try the unexpected and if it doesn't come off don't worry try again.

Absolutely, "optimistic" was the word used by Shearer I think on MOTD

I would give Rodgers a huge amount of credit for instilling that mentality into the team, as you can see when he speaks that he is a very positive person.

The contrast with the season under Dalglish where it was evident that Suarez just did not trust any of his fellow players and ended up trying too hard and overplaying himself is huge.

The fact we will almost certainly at least double the goals tally from that season is representative of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

He showed Campbell inside to all the space. Rudimentary stuff. And then when Campbell pushed it to his left Agger ended up nearly 3 yards from him. Very poor defending by any standards which doesn't include the countless times he tends to totally switch off during games.

His first mistake was his positioning before the pass, he is supposed to be covering Flannagan, as is Skrtel to him when he pushes across, instead the gap between him and Flanno was massive and he burst a gut then to get across - this gave Campbell enough of a chance to take a touch and cut across him. Agger was too slow to react and was made look like a double decker bus turning. It looked really poor when you cannot even stay within 5 yards of the shot taker.

Thats Agger though, he is just not a top level defender, never has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Morzadec wrote: »
    Absolutely, "optimistic" was the word used by Shearer I think on MOTD

I would give Rodgers a huge amount of credit for instilling that mentality into the team, as you can see when he speaks that he is a very positive person.

The contrast with the season under Dalglish where it was evident that Suarez just did not trust any of his fellow players and ended up trying too hard and overplaying himself is huge.

The fact we will almost certainly at least double the goals tally from that season is representative of that

Sturridge has made the real difference to this team, i think its a big stretch to say its the whole team.

If everyone was honest, we are still the same awful team at the back, we just compensate for it better in attack (and by default, care about commenting on it less).

And the change in the attack is 99% down to Sturridge being way better than most thought we were getting.

Henderson has matured and is played where he wants to play. He still occasionally plays out of position for the team but thats how he came through as a player so is used to it, although not a world beater at it.

There are subtle changes but the slap in the face to wake things up is mainly Sturridge imho. 70/80% of what we put out on the pitch now is what we put out 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

BMJD wrote: »
    Southampton just took the lead against Spurs. We might get top 4 yet.

I thought everyone here knows by now, not to Jinx any Game that is still unfinished?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

daithijjj wrote: »
    Sturridge has made the real difference to this team, i think its a big stretch to say its the whole team.

If everyone was honest, we are still the same awful team at the back, we just compensate for it better in attack (and by default, care about commenting on it less).

And the change in the attack is 99% down to Sturridge being way better than most thought we were getting.

Henderson has matured and is played where he wants to play. He still occasionally plays out of position for the team but thats how he came through as a player so is used to it, although not a world beater at it.

There are subtle changes but the slap in the face to wake things up is mainly Sturridge imho. 70/80% of what we put out on the pitch now is what we put out 18 months ago.

How good is Rodgers!!

4th is safe now from Spurs and Moyes might be safe if he can catch Spurs now as well :)

I am sorry I will never Jinx again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

billy2012 wrote: »
    How good is Rodgers!!

Heh. :D

billy2012 wrote: »
    How good is Rodgers!!

How good is Sturridge!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, how good is Rodgers daithjjj, come on lets hear it.

Hard to disagree with that especially the defence, but another factor that is not mentioned is the time factor of 18 months that Rodgers has had with the same bunch of players - a period of time that I for one have seen a massive sea change on how we go out and play.
    Brendan Rodgers deserves 100% credit for that.

One caveat but is still the defensive mistakes and obvious weakness in the team.
    I think Rodgers has his offensive game finally tuned, but I am concerned its a coaching issue rather than resources issue that we still are pretty shįt at the back, and I can't see Brendan handing over any aspect of his team (defence coach) to any one else.

so that's a concern and hopefully overtime he learns on the job to solidify that back four no matter who they are now, or in the future.

im hoping its a DM issue in his mind and he is just waiting to land that certain type player first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There is a confidence even a cocky streak in the side now as well though. They have had set backs against the likes of stoke, Swansea Cardiff yesterday but they know they are the better team and didn't let their heads drop and kept chasing the game.

Also congrats to Gylfi Sigurdsson on getting the winner today and best of luck in the Europa League next season. Shoulda joined Liverpool!

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with that especially the defence, but another factor that is not mentioned is the time factor of 18 months that Rodgers has had with the same bunch of players - a period of time that I for one have seen a massive sea change on how we go out and play.
    Brendan Rodgers deserves 100% credit for that.

One caveat but is still the defensive mistakes and obvious weakness in the team.
    I think Rodgers has his offensive game finally tuned, but I am concerned its a coaching issue rather than resources issue that we still are pretty shįt at the back, and I can't see Brendan handing over any aspect of his team (defence coach) to any one else.

so that's a concern and hopefully overtime he learns on the job to solidify that back four no matter who they are now, or in the future.

im hoping its a DM issue in his mind and he is just waiting to land that certain type player first.

Everyone is doing all that can be asked of them at the moment.

Our 2nd top scorer 2 years ago got 6 goals, this year its 19 i think.

Looking to the future, we will have a much bigger workload next year and that's the acid test, 3 games in 7 days. We dont have to rest anyone now whereas next year we will have to. We will see more of Aspas/Alberto etc and we will need them to step up and deliver.

• Advertisement

Also congrats to Gylfi Sigurdsson on getting the winner today and best of luck in the Europa League next season. Shoulda joined Liverpool!

To think if he had joined Henderson would have left. We really did luck out that he was a greedy so and so and wanted money over football.

Looking to the future, we will have a much bigger workload next year and that's the acid test, 3 games in 7 days. We dont have to rest anyone now whereas next year we will have to. We will see more of Aspas/Alberto etc and we will need them to step up and deliver.

Next year aside, what has being achieved to date is phenomenal.

Don't think I'd swap Rodgers for many right now.

Spurs are 6 behind 4th, 7 including goal difference and have 21 points to play for.

It's not a dead cert yet.

again I agree but the way the team (80% still intact) have changed to Rodgers system(s) and got success shows we have a manager that can get his message across both verbally, and via his coaching methods.

I remeber one of the first things Rodgers says was that he likes us to have the ball, have it confidently and pass it confidently no matter where on the pitch.
    We got caught out early doors under Rodgers with dodgy back passing and loose balls, but Rodgers always came to the media and explained he didn't have a problem with it as that was the way he wanted us to play, and the confidence will come.
    That passing confidence is so evident and if anything its us fans that still have the mini cardiac when the back four amd keeper do it;yet the team are really confident now.

The reason we are also seeing a certain 'cockyness' is from (imo) winning so regularly.
    Winning brings so much more to a team that what you could ever try and instill on the training ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Spurs are 6 behind 4th, 7 including goal difference and have 21 points to play for.

Yeah but they're pretty awful in general...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

please god NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Should have really tried harder to get Ericksen, could have been a handy player for us, especially at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rarnes1 wrote: »

9 behind us though and 12 if we win our game in hand against Sunderland midweek.

For Spurs to have any chance they probably need us to not beat Sunderland and then for themselves to win at Anfield next weekend. Even doing all that they would still be 7 behind us but they would give themselves a half chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

MarkY91 wrote: »
    please god NO!
    So far they've only been judged on a very small sample size

Alberto, while looking slow has great vision and an eye for a pass to his credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

brevity wrote: »
    Should have really tried harder to get Ericksen, could have been a handy player for us, especially at that price.

I think the main reason we didn't make a real move for him was his off the ball work. He doesn't put in much effort defensively. Now there's a good chance that he might have improved that side of his game with the coaching that goes on here but i think he can appear quite lazy a lot of the time. I'm not sold he offers more overall than Coutinho does tbh, better in some ways but not as high a workrate.

Anyway we should be able to aim higher this summer!! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement