Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Another thing Rodgers deserves credit for compared to the Dalglish period is his easing Woodwork out of the team and into the background. That's definitely contributed to our improved goal tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

monkey9 wrote: »
    Another thing Rodgers deserves credit for compared to the Dalglish period is his easing Woodwork out of the team and into the background. That's definitely contributed to our improved goal tally.

Its the red nets. They can't get enough of the football.

Unfortunately, that works for the opposition too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I think the main reason we didn't make a real move for him was his off the ball work. He doesn't put in much effort defensively. Now there's a good chance that he might have improved that side of his game with the coaching that goes on here but i think he can appear quite lazy a lot of the time. I'm not sold he offers more overall than Coutinho does tbh, better in some ways but not as high a workrate.

Anyway we should be able to aim higher this summer!! :D

Well his shooting is better than Coutinho's :pac:

It's kinda surprising that we didn't at least make an effort considering he fit the profile of young, cheap and has potential. I believe we could have paid for him had we not splashed out on Aspas and Alberto, who haven't done much for us.

Perhaps he saw Tottenham & London as a more exciting prospect than Liverpool who had just finished 7th.

It's all really moot anyways, but even if he didnt work out with us, it would have weakened Spurs which is no bad thing either.

hefferboi wrote: »

Might as well watch it one more time, I suppose.

Its great being great, eh? :D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Benteke or Lukaku?

If you had to chose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Benteke or Lukaku?

If you had to chose.

Benteke for me. Cleverer player imo and has a better touch. His movement is a notch above Lukaku too. Both very good front men. Tbh i think for the cost we could target players who would suit our style a little better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Is it just me or was anybody else not even the slightest bit worried when we went 1-0 or 2-1 down? I just knew we'd turn it around and win.

I can't remember the last time I've felt like that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Benteke or Lukaku?

If you had to chose.

Lukaku
    Is it just me or was anybody else not even the slightest bit worried when we went 1-0 or 2-1 down? I just knew we'd turn it around and win.

I was worried. I'm always worried when we are not multiple goals ahead in games.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I'm quick enough to slate the English FA when they cock-up so its only right to be as quick when they do good....

"FA will leave 96 seats at Wembley empty in memory of Hillsborough victims" - http://t.co/D1R2TEqO1a - shared from @Taptu"

thats two great ideas this week from them to remember the '96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same I was more pissed off at the crap defending to be honest not that we actually conceded because I know we just go down the other end and score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Benteke or Lukaku?

If you had to chose.

I don't think either are suitable to our style really.

Can't imagine putting either up top with Sturridge and Suarez.

5starpool wrote: »
    Lukaku

I was worried. I'm always worried when we are not multiple goals ahead in games.

I'm always worried as well but yesterday was different. I just KNEW we'd win.

Same. Watched it with a mate in a bar, and I was fairly relaxed about it all.

We're just relentless going forward nowadays.

I've heard some Liverpool fans say they'll feel dirty cheering on Manc U on Tuesday. Not me, I can't wait to cheer them on. It shows how irrelevant they are this season. Mid table sh!te whilst we're chasing the title.

I'm seriously thinking about watching the Manc derby in the pub wearing my Liverpool jersey. I'll sit near a load of Manc U fans and roar on their beloved team. That'll hit home that the red tide has turned. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Agger was made to look like a lumbering, cumbersome dickhead for their second.

Probably just me but i actually worried when kenwyne fcuking jones came on yesterday as i thought hed give agger a bullying as per usual with big physical strikers. How bad is that? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I've heard some Liverpool fans say they'll feel dirty cheering on Manc U on Tuesday. Not me, I can't wait to cheer them on. It shows how irrelevant they are this season. Mid table sh!te whilst we're chasing the title.

I'm seriously thinking about watching the Manc derby in the pub wearing my Liverpool jersey. I'll sit near a load of Manc U fans and roar on their beloved team. That'll hit home that the red tide has turned. :D

I was cheering them on against West Ham. Even did a fist pump for their second goal. I'll be delighted if they go on to win the rest of their games in the PL this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

funny thing is everyone hates us cos we're bad winners
    most of them have no idea
    I'm looking up people that I haven't spoke to in 20 years
    god help the world if we actually win this thing

watching motd again
    Henderson's pass for our first was sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

daithijjj wrote: »
    Sturridge has made the real difference to this team, i think its a big stretch to say its the whole team.

If everyone was honest, we are still the same awful team at the back, we just compensate for it better in attack (and by default, care about commenting on it less).

And the change in the attack is 99% down to Sturridge being way better than most thought we were getting.

Henderson has matured and is played where he wants to play. He still occasionally plays out of position for the team but thats how he came through as a player so is used to it, although not a world beater at it.

There are subtle changes but the slap in the face to wake things up is mainly Sturridge imho. 70/80% of what we put out on the pitch now is what we put out 18 months ago.

Obviously the change in personnel has helped.

To be honest a lot of players would look a huge upgrade on the lumbering Andy Carroll.

Sturridge has of course been electric, and the supporting cast of Coutinho and Sterling deserve a mention.

But I do think the attitude (a very brave attitude and philosophy to take) of relentless attacking, risk-taking, taking chances on making runs, and trust shown between all the players, is a massive factor too and, credit where credit is due, this goes to the manager.

Look at the negativity and cautiousness at United at the moment.

Rodgers oozes positivity. I think a lot didn't take to him because of this at first. But I do believe that positivity has translated to the players and the likes of Sturridge can be as thankful of having Rodgers as Rodgers can be thankful that he has Sturridge

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I was half thinking of suggesting we all just invade their thread for the next few days, but not WCW/ECW style, more so in support for those err.. lovable scamps. Yeah, lovable. That's it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

klose wrote: »
    Probably just me but i actually worried when kenwyne fcuking jones came on yesterday as i thought hed give agger a bullying as per usual with big physical strikers. How bad is that? :pac:

Jones has played well against in the past to be fair, I had that in my mind when he was subbed on. Remember when he was being linked regularly under Rafa? Shudders.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I was half thinking of suggesting we all just invade their thread for the next few days, but not WCW/ECW style, more so in support for those err.. lovable scamps. Yeah, lovable. That's it.

We'd have to start boycotting Paddy Powers though what with them being anti Utd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As entertaining it would be to see Man Utd beat City I really really really cannot even imagine it happening. But I'll be cheering them on. I'd take a draw.

lol invade
    cards coming left right and centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If that meant ye stopped waffling on about them here I'd be all for it.

Now off ye go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ooh look! A football video where the music isn't a big bag of dicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Gbear wrote: »
    Ooh look! A football video where the music isn't a big bag of dicks.

Some video.
    Who was it he bomb dived in front of when he scored? Moyes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, “How do I know you won’t sting me?” The scorpion says, “Because if I do, I will die too.”

The frog is satisfied, and they set out. But in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp “Why?”

Replies the scorpion: “It’s my nature…”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sturridge has made the real difference to this team, i think its a big stretch to say its the whole team.

If everyone was honest, we are still the same awful team at the back, we just compensate for it better in attack (and by default, care about commenting on it less).

And the change in the attack is 99% down to Sturridge being way better than most thought we were getting.

Henderson has matured and is played where he wants to play. He still occasionally plays out of position for the team but thats how he came through as a player so is used to it, although not a world beater at it.

There are subtle changes but the slap in the face to wake things up is mainly Sturridge imho. 70/80% of what we put out on the pitch now is what we put out 18 months ago.

Sturridge has been fabulous, but no way can you attribute 99% of the improvement in our attack to him. That basically reduces Rodgers' work so far to almost nothing. It's to say that if we'd stuck with Dalglish and bought Sturridge we would be in this position today. I really doubt we would.

- Suarez has improved immeasurably under Rodgers
    - Sturridge has improved immeasurably under Rodgers
    - Coutinho has given us another dimension, a kind of creativity we haven't had in a long time.
    - Sterling has matured and become one of the best wingers in the league this season
    - Henderson or Henderson/Allen give the attack such a great platform with their pressing and workrate.
    - All of the above players being given the freedom and confidence to express themselves.
    - From probably among the worst teams at attacking set pieces to the best this season.

Rodgers is a very obvious common denominator in all of the above.
    IMO we are unrecognisable to 2 years ago. The only common denominators are that a good chunk of the personnel are the same, but you'd hardly think it watching them play.

As an aside, we often look awful at the back against very bad teams, but we also have put in some very good defensive performances against better teams. Our attitude and attacking philosophy will always see us leak goals

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, “How do I know you won’t sting me?” The scorpion says, “Because if I do, I will die too.”

The frog is satisfied, and they set out. But in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp “Why?”

Well the scorpion is a dope. He should have waited until he was near the bank. Then he could have killed the frog but still lived. What a clown!! I therefore call that scorpion Coco.

My nature is to support what's best for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

NukaCola wrote: »

Could be a parable about Utd's season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Reading the suarez edition of 442 .. in his interview he says sturridge speaks passable Portuguese , learnt from the brazillians at chelsea..

Wonder do they speak it during games discussing runs/tactics to confuse the non speakers . Another plus for that partnership

barone wrote: »
    Reading the suarez edition of 442 .. in his interview he says sturridge speaks passable Portuguese , learnt from the brazillians at chelsea..

Wonder do they speak it during games discussing runs/tactics to confuse the non speakers . Another plus for that partnership

Does Suarez not speak Spanish though?

barone wrote: »

Does Suarez speak Portuguese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think it was around the Fulham/Swansea game for me that I started to feel it.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think it was around the Fulham/Swansea game for me that I started to feel it.

Didn't happen for me until yesterday. You must have more faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Does Suarez not speak Spanish though?
    Does Suarez speak Portuguese?

probably both
    .. it said Portuguese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Sorry if a repost just cropped this image from paddy power Def us this year!

And on the phone can't get the image working sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Didn't happen for me until yesterday. You must have more faith.

Only in certain areas....I ain't got enough faith to try organise a 'match thread saps' get together for the final game. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Next year I am going to need a wide-angle lens for the Irish HJC cup. Great day.

24obri8.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dub13 wrote: »

How much is it going to cost ye to get Rodgers on that Banner when we win the league this year?

^^^I do love that flag of yours. Top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sturridge has been fabulous, but no way can you attribute 99% of the improvement in our attack to him. That basically reduces Rodgers' work so far to almost nothing. It's to say that if we'd stuck with Dalglish and bought Sturridge we would be in this position today. I really doubt we would.

- Suarez has improved immeasurably under Rodgers
    - Sturridge has improved immeasurably under Rodgers
    - Coutinho has given us another dimension, a kind of creativity we haven't had in a long time.
    - Sterling has matured and become one of the best wingers in the league this season
    - Henderson or Henderson/Allen give the attack such a great platform with their pressing and workrate.
    - All of the above players being given the freedom and confidence to express themselves.
    - From probably among the worst teams at attacking set pieces to the best this season.

Rodgers is a very obvious common denominator in all of the above.
    IMO we are unrecognisable to 2 years ago. The only common denominators are that a good chunk of the personnel are the same, but you'd hardly think it watching them play.

As an aside, we often look awful at the back against very bad teams, but we also have put in some very good defensive performances against better teams. Our attitude and attacking philosophy will always see us leak goals

Firstly, i brought up this by highlighting a couple of things from Morzadec's post. I have no intention of wandering off on tangeants outside of that.

Those points were his. 1. Contrast and 2. Double the amount of goals.

Sturridge has made the massive difference for us, thats were that point ends.

Secondly, i never denied Rodgers made a difference himself. Anyone with a pair of eyes knows we play the same way they did at Swansea. But we arent attacking with Danny Graham as the spearhead up front now are we?.

I dont feel any need to get pedantic but to be a devils advocate....

1. Suarez would flourish in any side, he is in and around his peak as a player in terms of age. Suarez wasnt good before Rodgers?, come on. He thrives in that style for sure, a lot of forwards would. He was also great for us prior.

2. Sturridge has got a lease of life at LFC but a few thought he was good before he joined. A few thought Moses was good too.

3. Coutinho has been very good at times, and poor at times but ive written about him before. Basically when he has a poor game he needs a break. Credit to Rodgers for this recently, he failed miserably with this last year re Sterling.

4. Sterling has come on great since he came out of court and i have a message for Sterling :pac:,

I think Rodgers has done very well by him.

5. Henderson was on his way to Fulham while Brendan kept faith with Shelvey. It could have been so different, thankfully Henderson refused the move. Both have moved on from this and both have benefited. But you will still find plenty who moan about Henderson, generally its when he is filling a role for the team out right and not central. I remember plenty telling me Henderson was a right side player when he joined, i was adamant he was central mid, its proved that way and he plays at his best there. Allen needs to improve again, recycling the ball is great but he will need more if he wants to start regularly imo.

6. I agree totally with that point because its a point i labelled at Rafa. He seemed incapable of loosening his rigid system. Rodgers has loosened it but we all expected that given what we saw at Swansea.

7. Is that a compliment for Gerrard's delivery?. Im sure we have changed a few things around in that aspect of our game but there isnt a huge amount to teach here imho. Attack the ball, get more in the box etc. Sturridge is a very good fallguy for Suarez in that regard, it gives the opposition alot more to worry about.

Its undeniable Rodgers is a common denominator. Its also undeniable that this club has gone a long time without 2 prolific scorers. The long and short of it is, we score more goals, thats a tactic that was played with Danny Graham but i dont think we would be where we are if we had signed Danny Graham over Sturridge. Its a flippant point but im only saying it to emphasise what Sturridge has given the team and Suarez. Its about the contribution made by the individual.

And thats something a lot of the players we have signed under Rodgers need to do to make it at the club because many of them havent yet imho for various reasons. We will need them to next year, which brings me back to the original point i made earlier, about next season and 3 games a week. We will have to put out teams where we are resting players in the league. We dont have to now and all is rosy, i hope it stays that way while we are in the champions league and the manager isnt left frustrated like he was last summer with only days left in the window.

Perhaps we should give Ayre etc a few % points of the resultant improved team.........

Your final point about putting in some great defensive performances against better teams is one i would counter tbh. We have been that in the face of some opponents we havent had much defending to do. 25/30 years ago we never knew how good a keeper we had, he rarely saw the ball, but was automatically very good because he let very few goals in......if you see the analogy. In fact, i'd go so far as to say our best two 'defenders' versus Arsenal at home were Henderson and Coutinho. Things like this use dto be labelled at Ian Rush, great goal scorer but also, our first line of defence.

Lets make no mistakes here, our defence needs alot of work. I hope it happens and when it does i will pour praise on anyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

^^ is that the flag that was hanging outside the lansdown hotel.for the celtic match?

I don't really think this is the same tactic employed at Swansea at all. We are not all about controlling a game and passing the ball about at the back, we are attacking with pace, playing more direct and playing more on the counter-attack.

I think the manager recognised a few months into his tenure last season that to get the best out of Gerrard and Suarez that we couldn't be patient, slow or controlling. We needed to play with more pace and directness. Less possession and more high-risk football. We've moved away from the Swansea Barca/Spain-type football and are playing more like a Dortmund. Relentless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I don't really think this is the same tactic employed at Swansea at all. We are not all about controlling a game and passing the ball about at the back, we are attacking with pace, playing more direct and playing more on the counter-attack.

I think the manager recognised a few months into his tenure last season that to get the best out of Gerrard and Suarez that we couldn't be ppatient, slow or controlling. We needed to play with more pace and directness. Less possession and more high-risk football. We've moved away from the Swansea Barca/Spain-type football and are playing more like a Dortmund. Relentless.

And we don't have a set formation like Swansea did.

Rodgers varies the formation depending on the opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Much as I want Utd to do a number on City, its will not happen.

Could be a mullering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

djPSB wrote: »
    And we don't have a set formation like Swansea did.

Rodgers varies the formation depending on the opponents.

Exactly. See the utd match and the diamond formation. Also we have moved to a front 2 with 3 mf behind and one holding mf. Swansea had a different approach. The manager has seemingly learnt to be more pragmatic to his enormous credit.

For me Agger has to go, he was so soft for mutch's first goal yesterday. He is not solid enough. Sahko plus one new player for me, let Agger go while we can get something for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement