Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I am pie wrote: »
    Exactly. See the utd match and the diamond formation. Also we have moved to a front 2 with 3 mf behind and one holding mf. Swansea had a different approach. The manager has seemingly learnt to be more pragmatic to his enormous credit.

For me Agger has to go, he was so soft for mutch's first goal yesterday. He is not solid enough. Sahko plus one new player for me, let Agger go while we can get something for him.

And imo Rodgers has shown why he's streets ahead of the likes of AVB.

Rodgers attempted his slick passing Swansea set up with Liverpool, it didn't work so he changed it up and we're alot more effective now.

AVB was provided with much better players at Chelsea and Spurs and attempted his Porto system. It didn't work at either club and he had no back up plan or at least he didn't try anything else. A one trick pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

mightyreds wrote: »
    ^^ is that the flag that was hanging outside the lansdown hotel.for the celtic match?

Yeah that was hanging from the windows of the lansdowne hotel .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote: »
    How much is it going to cost ye to get Rodgers on that Banner when we win the league this year?

Getting asked that a lot the last while...:)

A clearer pic of the banner, she is holding up well.

b4cld2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

ebbsy wrote: »
    Much as I want Utd to do a number on City, its will not happen.

Could be a mullering.

Yeah iv'e got that terrible feeling also. Can't remember ever wanting United to win a match before and can't see it happening here i'm afraid. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

djPSB wrote: »
    And imo Rodgers has shown why he's streets ahead of the likes of AVB.

Rodgers attempted his slick passing Swansea set up with Liverpool, it didn't work so he changed it up and we're alot more effective now.

AVB was provided with much better players at Chelsea and Spurs and attempted his Porto system. It didn't work at either club and he had no back up plan or at least he didn't try anything else. A one trick pony.

Rodgers has been able to change and adapt to each situation. AVB proved he was unable to adapt when needed
    Thank fcuk we didnt get AVB as manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ebbsy wrote: »
    Much as I want Utd to do a number on City, its will not happen.

Could be a mullering.

I think it's a given both that City will win that game and finish on a superiour goal difference to us.

So I'm happy, just for the pure spectacle of it, for them to hammer as many teams as they like, so long as they lose to us and drop two more points more than us in another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

mike65 wrote: »
    As entertaining it would be to see Man Utd beat City I really really really cannot even imagine it happening. But I'll be cheering them on. I'd take a draw.

Even if they draw the title will officially be in our hands! That will be the first time I have been able to say that as a Liverpool fan with 9 games to go. Exciting times, cautiosly optimistic. Too much heart ache in the past to really let myself think we will win it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nice to see that Sokolik has started Southend's last two games and has been in the defence that has kept a clean sheet both times. Hope he can impress enough to secure a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was watching the highlights again yesterday and just on the sixth goal. Its a routine high ball and its just unbelievable how Suarez mugs the defender, defenders are actually **** scared of him. He puts doubt into there minds in those situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I don't really think this is the same tactic employed at Swansea at all. We are not all about controlling a game and passing the ball about at the back, we are attacking with pace, playing more direct and playing more on the counter-attack.

I think the manager recognised a few months into his tenure last season that to get the best out of Gerrard and Suarez that we couldn't be patient, slow or controlling. We needed to play with more pace and directness. Less possession and more high-risk football. We've moved away from the Swansea Barca/Spain-type football and are playing more like a Dortmund. Relentless.

Well we will have to disagree there. I didnt suggest we passed it around the back. But we do control the game in our own way, its just higher up the pitch. Its clearly not a mirrored style but has many similarities. Im the last person who wants to see Skrtel play with the ball around the back.

'You just knock it to Stevie there Martin and we can all get on with our lives for few moment's' ... that is my kind of outlook on that idea.

And im sure that became evident to Rodgers. I remember Tony Pulis on BT sport earlier in the year pointing out that his Stoke team targeted Skrtel for this reason. If its being said at Stoke and on live TV by another Prem manager then im sure Rodgers felt the same.

Leon Britton isnt exactly a Gerrard either, of course some things you will have to adapt to. Rodgers took a job with an aging Gerrard in midfield. He wasnt going to drop Gerrard and there wasnt anything like a Gerrard for Swansea. So things shifted in that regard. People have been talking about moving Gerrard deeper for long before Brendan came in.

For me the principles on how we play are the exact same as Swansea, they just dont mirror it because our whole fulcrum starts with Gerrard now. Danny Graham isnt the speedy player we have etc. We cant really compare what Rodgers had and what Rodgers inherited. If we played the same game with Britton and Graham as we do with a Gerrard and Suarez then that would be worrying tbh and not something i ever suggested was similar.

I think the over riding thing Rodgers has given this team is evident in that Swansea team, win the ball back quickly, trust your ability, free movement of attackers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'll be delighted if Utd beat City - now is the time for cold hard numbers not sentiment and we need City to drop points, end of. Love yer team, don't worry about the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

rob316 wrote: »
    I was watching the highlights again yesterday and just on the sixth goal. Its a routine high ball and its just unbelievable how Suarez mugs the defender, defenders are actually **** scared of him. He puts doubt into there minds in those situations.

Had to laugh at Sterlings reaction, he seems to put his hands on his head and be gutted that he didn't get a pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Had to laugh at Sterlings reaction, he seems to put his hands on his head and be gutted that he didn't get a pass!

There were a couple of times yesterday Suarez should have squared it and didn't seemed even greedier than usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Dub13 wrote: »
    A clearer pic of the banner, she is holding up well.

b4cld2.jpg

Plenty of room beside Rafa for Rodgers's head. Well left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

There were a couple of times yesterday Suarez should have squared it and didn't seemed even greedier than usual

I wish he squared it for fantasy football reasons but he wasn't gonna pass up a hattrick, especially when he's trying to beat all sorts of records and the game was well wrapped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldnt class Suarez any bit selfish, he is one on one with keeper and on a hattrick of course he is going to try score. Suarez always looks to pass, wish I could say the same for Daniel he just needs to release the ball more those predictable shots into the side net are very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I wish he squared it for fantasy football reasons but he wasn't gonna pass up a hattrick, especially when he's trying to beat all sorts of records and the game was well wrapped up.

Was some finish made the keeper look a complete mug

Yeah that was hanging from the windows of the lansdowne hotel .

Was some craic that day. Banner hanging from the windows and the flares, songs been sang felt like we were in anfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Last minute, game wrapped up, 2 goals in the bag and a Hatrick looming, 1v1 with no other opposition player in sight - square it??? You must be kidding. A striker MUST be single minded in this situation and he rightly slotted it home. Sterlings reaction was funny but he thought he was in for a free lunch ;)

Call it greedy, i call it class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Last minute, game wrapped up, 2 goals in the bag and a Hatrick looming, 1v1 with no other opposition player in sight - square it??? You must be kidding. A striker MUST be single minded in this situation and he rightly slotted it home. Sterlings reaction was funny but he thought he was in for a free lunch ;)

Call it greedy, i call it class.

He said he apologised to Sterling after the game but he really wanted the hat trick for confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sterling wanted his goal bonus you know to help pay for all that child maintenance ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Was some finish made the keeper look a complete mug

He nearly tripped over his own feet. Was a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Dub13. I remember the day Rodgers was hired you said something like "Welcome Brendan. Hopefully you do enough to warrant your place on the IrishKop banner".

Starting to look like a big possibility. Maybe not this year, but he'll get there.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He nearly tripped over his own feet. Was a joy to watch.

I keep watching it over again keeper doesn't know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Where does this three games per week thing come from? Personally I think its a load of ****e intended to exaggerate something for no apparent reason

People always bang on about it, but one league game, plus one CL games equals two games per week. If you're going to say that the CL means three games per week, then by the same logic do we not currently play two games per week, if we play on the Sunday,then the following Saturday?

I appreciate that with the league fixture timings we can play three times in a seven days (when in CL) period, but if we do, it means we only play once the following week. It still averages two games per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Where does this three games per week thing come from? Personally I think its a load of ****e intended to exaggerate something for no apparent reason

People always bang on about it, but one league game, plus one CL games equals two games per week. If you're going to say that the CL means three games per week, then by the same logic do we not currently play two games per week, if we play on the Sunday,then the following Saturday?

I appreciate that with the league fixture timings we can play three times in a seven days (when in CL) period, but if we do, it means we only play once the following week. It still averages two games per week

It really is a simple matter of counting.

A week is 7 days. If you play a game on Sunday, another on Wednesday and then another on Sunday, how many games have you played in what length of time?

Fatigue doesn't magically disappear on Monday morning just because we defined Monday as the start of a new week.

As it is we play more than two games a week on average, with cup games. Adding the CL brings it close to 3 a week over the course of the season.

There's both a short term effect (and the effects on teams playing league games after CL games are well documented) and also a long term effect.

It's grand Suarez playing every game in a 45 games season. If he has to play a third more matches that's a big difference.

^^ is that the flag that was hanging outside the lansdown hotel.for the celtic match?

Sure is, its our banner made from donations from Irish Kop members.

Gbear wrote: »

A week is 7 days. If you play a game on Sunday, another on Wednesday and then another on Sunday, how many games have you played in what length of time?

Fatigue doesn't magically disappear on Monday morning just because we defined Monday as the start of a new week.

As it is we play more than two games a week on average, with cup games. Adding the CL brings it close to 3 a week over the course of the season.

There's both a short term effect (and the effects on teams playing league games after CL games are well documented) and also a long term effect.

It's grand Suarez playing every game in a 45 games season. If he has to play a third more matches that's a big difference.

Suarez could play 100 games a season with no affect on him. He is the chuck Norris of football.

budgemook wrote: »
    Dub13. I remember the day Rodgers was hired you said something like "Welcome Brendan. Hopefully you do enough to warrant your place on the IrishKop banner".

Starting to look like a big possibility. Maybe not this year, but he'll get there.

I hope so, he has the team playing so well and getting better the longer he has 'the group' together.

• Advertisement

3 in 8 days?

Work it out if you want, it still averages two games per week if you have a reasonable run in the cups.

Obviously you can play three games in a seven day period, but that mean in the next seven day period you'll still only play one.

I'm not disputing the effect it has on the players, my point is simply that we currently play one game per week. The CL involves one extra game per week. So why then is it suddenly described as three games per week? You wouldn't describe our current situation as two games per week, despite us playing on a Sunday, then the following Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

As Gbear said above.

Also, just because Suarez hasn't been injured up to now doesn't mean he won't in future.

We have a first team of, in effect, 14. Saturdays 11 plus Sterling, Lucas and Enrique. The rest, atm, are bit part players.

Playing 6 CL games (assuming we qualify) plus cup games, injuries, suspensions mean we probably need a minimum of 4 new first team players for next season.

Plus BR has to show the ability to combine a bigger squad to get similar results to this season. But lets worry about that when it becomes a problem at the end of May.

5live wrote: »
    As Gbear said above.

Also, just because Suarez hasn't been injured up to now doesn't mean he won't in future.

We have a first team of, in effect, 14. Saturdays 11 plus Sterling, Lucas and Enrique. The rest, atm, are bit part players.

Playing 6 CL games (assuming we qualify) plus cup games, injuries, suspensions mean we probably need a minimum of 4 new first team players for next season.

Plus BR has to show the ability to combine a bigger squad to get similar results to this season. But lets worry about that when it becomes a problem at the end of May.

Sahko toure Kelly can all do a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

niallo27 wrote: »
    Sahko toure Kelly can all do a job.

Enough to get us qualified for the CL again next season?

With Spurs probably challenging under a new manager and manU back in the mix also, its probably going to be a little harder next season.

5live wrote: »
    As Gbear said above.

I don't dispute that. You're interpreting my complaint to be on a far more relevant level to what it is is. My issue is purely pedantic

1 league game per week + 1 CL game per week = two games per week, not three.

I entirely agree your argument regarding the ability of the squad to cope, and the need for greater depth, my argument is purely on the descriptive thing of three games per week. It's not even relevant, it just pisses me off, and I'm pretty sure all the mathematical greats, Newton, Pythagarus, Archimides and Carol Voderman would be with me on this one

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Work it out if you want, it still averages two games per week if you have a reasonable run in the cups.

Obviously you can play three games in a seven day period, but that mean in the next seven day period you'll still only play one.

I'm not disputing the effect it has on the players, my point is simply that we currently play one game per week. The CL involves one extra game per week. So why then is it suddenly described as three games per week? You wouldn't describe our current situation as two games per week, despite us playing on a Sunday, then the following Saturday

In a very successful season teams play around 70 games if they have deep CL runs and do well in domestic cups. The league season is about 39 weeks long, not including pre season, so that's less than 2 games per week even in very successful seasons. If you do well in the domestic cups with no Europe, it's about 1.5 games a week. This season we'll have played 43 games, barely over 1 per week on average.

I'm not sure what the argument is really as I only skimmed and saw some mentions, so I don't know who is arguing what, but those are the maths. In 2001 when we won 3 cups, we played 63 (figures below unverified, I just cut and pasted from somewhere).

38 League
    13 UEFA Cup
    6 FA Cup
    6 League Cup

5starpool wrote: »
    In a very successful season teams play around 70 games if they have deep CL runs and do well in domestic cups. The league season is about 39 weeks long, not including pre season, so that's less than 2 games per week even in very successful seasons. If you do well in the domestic cups with no Europe, it's about 1.5 games a week. This season we'll have played 43 games, barely over 1 per week on average.

I'm not sure what the argument is really as I only skimmed and saw some mentions, so I don't know who is arguing what, but those are the maths. In 2001 when we won 3 cups, we played 63 (figures below unverified, I just cut and pasted from somewhere).

38 League
    13 UEFA Cup
    6 FA Cup
    6 League Cup

I wouldn't bother reading back, I'm just being pedantic in my argument that playing in Europe means two games on average per week, as oppose to the much talked about three games per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think it's a given both that City will win that game and finish on a superiour goal difference to us.

So I'm happy, just for the pure spectacle of it, for them to hammer as many teams as they like, so long as they lose to us and drop two more points more than us in another game.

Not if we beat them 7-0 at Anfield:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Sunday to Sunday is 8 days. In your example two games were played in the week starting on the first Sunday ie Sunday to Saturday.

If we spent a whole 39 week season playing every single Sunday and Wednesday we'd play a total of 78 matches averaging (obviously) two a week.

Sure there are times, typically towards the end of the season, where progress in the cups can mean rearranged games leading to scenarios like the above where we play three games in 8 days but the converse is that there will weeks where we only play one game in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Im surprised the potential ban Gerrard is facing for another yellow is not getting more attention.

If he gets a yellow between now and the second Sunday in April its an auto 2 game ban.

thats a real concern seeing what big games we have on the horizon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Im surprised the potential ban Gerrard is facing for another yellow is not getting more attention.

If he gets a yellow between now and the second Sunday in April its an auto 2 game ban.

It was discussed and people were saying its a 1 game ban?
    Definitely worrying. It was a stupid tackle he made to get that yellow. He was caught flat footed and just upended him basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

No point worrying about that it's going to happen at some stage we'll just need to deal with it.

Odds are a ban is coming and the question is more about how many games?

Some say cause he didn't get banned during the first batch of games then its only a one game if he reaches the tally in this phase of games.

still a ban is a ban and its Gerarrd we are on about.

it would be almost tempting to get it out of the way before one of the massive games coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Ah sure wasn't he past it according to some anyways :P

djPSB wrote: »
    Ah sure wasn't he past it according to some anyways :P

Honestly I wanted him to play less and be weaned out of the team from this season on.

in his previous role (higher up) everything, and I mean everything, had to be played through him at the detriment of some more creative players.

I thought we were too reliant on him and we needed (and we still do) to act quicker for a potential replacement.

Now in his deeper role its still allowing him dictate play but its the creative players in front of him doing most of the damage.
    genius by Rodgers imo and Gerrard once again is undroppable.

thats why I think people will be surprised at who , and what type of player will be our prime target in the summer window. ...I think its another center circle type midfielder on top of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If Gerrard gets a suspension, then Lucas can come in. We've coped grand without Gerrard at times this season. It's not ideal to have him suspended, but it's not the big disaster it once might have been either.

monkey9 wrote: »
    If Gerrard gets a suspension, then Lucas can come in. We've coped grand without Gerrard at times this season. It's not ideal to have him suspended, but it's not the big disaster it once might have been either.

I hear ya but I want that fűcking Gerrard beast that we had at Old Trafford playing against everyone for the remainder of the season.

The guy knows its probably the best chance he is going to get to land a PL medal.we need him for every remaining sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If I get another yellow, I'm outta here for a month, so I know EXACTLY how Gerrard feels...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rodgers trying to ramp up the atmosphere in Anfield......cant wait for this game now! I hate having games in hand (as long as we get the 3 points!!)

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/159702-rodgers-sends-out-message-to-the-kop

"We're really looking forward to playing at Anfield now on Wednesday night," Rodgers told Liverpoolfc.com. "It's a big game for us.

"Hopefully the supporters can really get behind the team well before kick-off, get the atmosphere revved up for the game and we'll look to continue on this great run. As you can see, we believe we can perform well and get results.

"Cardiff was the fourth away game on the spin that we've won and we've played three games on the bounce away from home - Southampton, Manchester United and now at Cardiff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement