Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Best hold lloyd back for the City and Chelsea games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The next poster to start a match thread that ends up in Liverpool not winning should be site banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was chatting to a guy in work earlier another Liverpool supporter and he was saying how he isn't worried about the defence as Rodgers has it much tighter against the top teams. He knows his players can score more goals than the mediocre teams regardless of how many they concede.
    Said we should be far more worried if we were conceding 3/4 goals to City, Chelsea or Arsenal in one game.

I was bored and did a little detective work

If you take the current Top 8 (ex Liverpool) we have played 10 and conceded 12 goals ( 3 of those were in that derby game where neither team looked interested in defending)
    If you take the current Bottom 7 we have played 11 and conceded 16 goals.

So his point was kind of correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Fizman wrote: »
    The next poster to start a match thread that ends up in Liverpool not winning should be site banned.

Can we nominate someone to do it?

If so I nominate Nuri Sahin or The Turd.

Win if we win and win if we lose.

Site bans for some and no site bans for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

Dickerty wrote: »
    Yes, and is hereafter called VeryLuckyLloyd!

I get what you're trying to do here but there was absolutely nothing lucky about our win at Old Trafford and therefore would suggest changing the Lucky out of the his name for something else rather than emphasising the word lucky. Buzzkill. :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mormank wrote: »
    I get what you're trying to do here but there was absolutely nothing lucky about our win at Old Trafford and therefore would suggest changing the Lucky out of the his name for something else rather than emphasising the word lucky. Buzzkill. :cool:

Lloyd actually changed his boards username to UnLuckyLloyd for a while during a particularly melancholic period of his life, although it certainly was not match thread related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I also nominate Washington Irving for the Chelsea game on the condition he titles it 'Battle of the Underdogs'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Who's on match thread duty this week folks
    Who's feeling lucky

PaulyD is probably going to muster one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Charlie19 wrote: »
    PaulyD is probably going to muster one up.

Can't be having him putting a stop to our run....quick someone do it, even if it gets locked until a few hours before kick-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lee Cattermole Wes Brown and John O'Shea as centre backs, with Dossena at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    Lloyd actually changed his boards username to UnLuckyLloyd for a while during a particularly melancholic period of his life, although it certainly was not match thread related.

Jaysus, young people eh? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Sunderland only have Altidore and a recalled Wickham available up front for Wednesdays game right?

mike65 wrote: »
    Lee Cattermole Wes Brown and John O'Shea as centre backs, with Dossena at right back.

I saw that earlier, Dossena will be playing. They will be murdered. Entertaining 7-2 is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Fizman wrote: »
    Sunderland only have Altidore and a recalled Wickham available up front for Wednesdays game right?

Looks like it...so I fully expect them to score 5!

• Advertisement

Hang on Doss plays at left back. Does that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I thought unluckylloyd was the original name and was changed to luckylloyd during a good period in his life or something of that nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I thought unluckylloyd was the original name and was changed to luckylloyd during a good period in his life or something of that nature.

Everything must be awesome if this is what we're discussing on a Monday :cool:

Everything must be awesome if this is what we're discussing on a Monday :cool:

Ha, in my defence I didn't realise it was monday! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

one thing that worries me...

we're having an amazing run at the moment. our form is WWWWWW. we're smack bang in the middle of a title race. some of our fans are getting ridiculously carried away. some of us merely believe there is an outside chance.

my worry is this: that if we only get 3rd or 4th that there could be a slight backlash against the team, and even against Rodgers.

i want to make my point of view on this clear - i want us to go all out for this League. i want the team to treat the run in like the 8 Cup finals that Sturridge described. i want that trophy. we've seen it in Gerrard's and Suarez's respective demeanours on the pitch for weeks - they're going hard for this league run-in and believe something special can happen. i want that to continue right until the end.

but, if we fall short, and only get 3rd or 4th and a Champions League place, i will still be immensely proud of how the team has conducted itself, and how they have given the fanbase immense hope again.

there is a lot to be done in the transfer market going forward. our forward play is papering over some cracks that need addressing, and the squad depth is a real issue if and when we're looking into a Champions League campaign.

but my God, whatever happens, what a fúcking season this has been. it's been beyond my wildest dreams from back in August.

SlickRic wrote: »

we're having an amazing run at the moment. our form is WWWWWW. we're smack bang in the middle of a title race. some of our fans are getting ridiculously carried away. some of us merely believe there is an outside chance.

my worry is this: that if we only get 3rd or 4th that there could be a slight backlash against the team, and even against Rodgers.

i want to make my point of view on this clear - i want us to go all out for this League. i want the team to treat the run in like the 8 Cup finals that Sturridge described. i want that trophy. we've seen it in Gerrard's and Suarez's respective demeanours on the pitch for weeks - they're going hard for this league run-in and believe something special can happen. i want that to continue right until the end.

but, if we fall short, and only get 3rd or 4th and a Champions League place, i will still be immensely proud of how the team has conducted itself, and how they have given the fanbase immense hope again.

there is a lot to be done in the transfer market going forward. our forward play is papering over some cracks that need addressing, and the squad depth is a real issue if and when we're looking into a Champions League campaign.

but my God, whatever happens, what a fúcking season this has been. it's been beyond my wildest dreams from back in August.

Bull****e (actually I can think of couple of people round here who'd take the opportunity)

SlickRic wrote: »

No backlash, this season was totally unexpected. We are at a stage now where we the fans should be getting carried away and disappointed if we don't win the league.
    Rodgers and the players have been a joy to watch, Liverpool have not beaten but destroyed teams. They have done the fans/supporters proud.
    Its looks like we will be back in the CL now next season which was something I didn't think we would achieve in August. Back amongst the elite where we belong.
    My only real hope for the rest of the season is we finish 3rd and go straight into the group stages. Anything else is a bonus, it really is.

Gerrard and Suarez are demented to win this league you can see it and to be honest there is no 2 better players to lead the charge.

Rodgers and the players will be forever be written into folklore if they can win the title as the team that went from 7th to 1st and smashed every goal scoring record. The scale of there achievement would eclipse Istanbul and probably any other in football history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm no longer worried about this season.

Whatever happens, happens. I'm just sitting on the rollercoaster, and happy to be involved in this unexpected and crazy ride.

I am a bit weird, in that I am now already worried about next season. Questions like, is this a flash in the pan? Can we sustain this form? Can we keep on improving, both Rodgers and the players? Will Suarez stay? How will we cope with more games, and more importantly, more pressure and expectancy?

But I try not to think about those things too much right now. As I said, I'm just enjoying this season, perhaps more than I have ever done as a Liverpool fan. Recently, I've even started loving all the hype - "We're going to win the leauge", and the consistent and dominant, "We are Liverpool, tra la la la".

We've the most in form player in the world in Suarez right now, we've achieved what we initially set out to do (And most saw that goal as a longshot to begin with, and we're playing some of the most entertaining football on the planet.

I never saw this coming, and that makes it all the more pleasurable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i hope Chelsea beat PSG in the Quarters of the CL
    that would help our chances alot imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Tbh, i quite like Mellow Mondays:)

Nope, he went from optimistic to morose, back to optimistic again.

I think Lucas could well come back in the team on Wednesday, either in place of Allen or maybe Gerrard if he wants to have Stevie definitely available for Spurs. Allen has done very well in parts in the last few weeks, but no harm to have Lucas get some match sharpness in as well for the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

mike65 wrote: »
    Bull****e (actually I can think of couple of people round here who'd take the opportunity)

No one can have a pop or a go at this team at the end of the season . If anyone does then they have an agenda .
    Right now all I can say I'm getting carried away I believe we can win the league . It's a nice feeling to have and I don't think anyone can say we can't win it because there is plenty of games to go .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm no longer worried about this season.

Whatever happens, happens. I'm just sitting on the rollercoaster, and happy to be involved in this unexpected and crazy ride.

I am a bit weird, in that I am now already worried about next season. Questions like, is this a flash in the pan? Can we sustain this form? Can we keep on improving, both Rodgers and the players? Will Suarez stay? How will we cope with more games, and more importantly, more pressure and expectancy?

This is exactly where I am. So let's say we finish 3rd (my prediction), and we get CL next season, but we suffer from second season syndrome, where we can't maintain the same harmony or form? United and Arsenal will certainly spend money, and everyone starts at zero points again.

But I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

:D

Suarez is the only difference between Liverpool and Spurs says Vertonghen-

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/vertonghen-suarez-is-the-difference-between-liverpool-and-spurs-30119995.html

And no its not the first of April yet:p

If we only end up with a relatively disappointing 14/24 in our last 8 games and come 3rd or 4th I don't think even the most over critical people would be labelling anything a disgrace or calling for a manager change or anything so stupid.

We will all be very disappointed if we tail off as this may well be our best chance for a while due to no other commitments, but even the most disappointed will have had their expectations surpassed for the season if we get around 79 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

5live wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/vertonghen-suarez-is-the-difference-between-liverpool-and-spurs-30119995.html

Wow , what an opinion . As good as Suarez is he is not carrying the team . It's a team effort and the team are providing him and Sturrigde the ammo to score goals . LFC have 11 players who play as a unit . The players on the pitch and in the dugout celebrate goals like lunatics . BR really has got a fully functioning team .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Reading this thread over the past while has given me such a strange feeling. It's almost April and we're discussing a possible title winning season. A season in which we have not only beaten, but demolished some of the better teams in the league. We've scored an incredible amount of goals. We feel like we can beat any team. Playing away and going behind twice? Grand, we'll beat them by 3 goals. With teams under Hodgson and Kenny you could almost tell how a game was going to play out after 10 mins. Frustrated by half time? Give up hope on a win. I can't believe we've practically guaranteed a top 4 spot already and we're in serious contention for a title. This team has repeatedly given me butterflies this season. Long may it last. Going over for my first ever Liverpool game this week. Hoping we absolutely smash Sunderland. I want a goal fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think Lucas could well come back in the team on Wednesday, either in place of Allen or maybe Gerrard if he wants to have Stevie definitely available for Spurs. Allen has done very well in parts in the last few weeks, but no harm to have Lucas get some match sharpness in as well for the run in.

I think he'll rest Stevie, but the Spurs game is now no more important that Sunderland. The only games that have more significance than the 3 points are City and Chelsea...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Good old half arsed reporting, saying we will be going for our 7th straight league W.
    It's obvioulsy going to be the 8th after opening a large can of whoop as$ on Sunderland. :D

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think he'll rest Stevie, but the Spurs game is now no more important that Sunderland. The only games that have more significance than the 3 points are City and Chelsea...

I don't think there is a chance Spurs will catch us, but Spurs at home will still not be an easy game to win by any means, so is very different to Sunderland in that regard. Dropping points against Sunderland would be a big shock, whereas dropping points at home to Spurs would be far less of a shock, although no less damaging to our title bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

The Reds are coming up the hill.

Meanwhile at White Hart Lane .....

tumblr_mhkplpFuhK1qe2thio1_400.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

We could win every game between now and the final day of the season, lose out on goal difference and I guaranDAMNtee some people will say the lack of money spent in January was why we didn't win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Spurs as an organisation seem unable to grasp the concept of a team. See last summer's transfer window for details. Not surprising one of their players would pick out the individual brilliance of Suarez and overlook the more important team aspects of Liverpool's superiority over them.

We could win every game between now and the final day of the season, lose out on goal difference and I guaranDAMNtee some people will say the lack of money spent in January was why we didn't win the league.

Don't exaggerate. IF (and it's a big if) that does happen then in 2014 we'll have gained 53/57 points since the start of January. Even the most insane person in the world won't argue that we could have done better if we signed someone, especially since 95% of the players we would have wanted to sign would have been defenders or defensive midfielders (and the other 5% were Salah/Konoplyanka)).

Edit: Also, it's impossible for us to win all our remaining games and lose the title on goal difference ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

From Garth Crooks team of the week on BBC for Skrtel.
    Did you know? The joint top-scoring defender in the Premier League this season, Skrtel has scored six goals from seven shots on target.

What a strike rate!
    (and I love the way you can pick out random stats like that to make it look good. :D )

Don't exaggerate. IF (and it's a big if) that does happen then in 2014 we'll have gained 53/57 points since the start of January. Even the most insane person in the world won't argue that we could have done better if we signed someone, especially since 95% of the players we would have wanted to sign would have been defenders or defensive midfielders (and the other 5% were Salah/Konoplyanka)).

Edit: Also, it's impossible for us to win all our remaining games and lose the title on goal difference ;)

There was someone here in the last 2 weeks giving out about the lack of transfers in January. We've dropped 2 points since the window closed and someone was complaining! I genuinely do think that if we don't win the title this season, people will give out and say it was a missed opportunity.

When was the last time a team went from 7th to champions league football in a single season? It hasn't happened in England recently anyway. What Brendan Rodgers and the team have achieved this season is nothing short of miraculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We need City to drop points against somebody, then the title is in our hands.
    That's why shouting for United is a no brainer tomorrow night.

That's as good as it can get for us at the moment. City also have Arsenal and Everton Away so could drop points there.

Palace, Sunderland and Norwich share a lot of games against the title contenders, somebody is going to drop points to one of those in the run in. We want Palace and Norwich to pick up points in their games before us so they are safe when we play them. Norwich need to do that in the next 3 games because their last 4 games are horrendous for them!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

K-9 wrote: »
    We need City to drop points against somebody, then the title is in our hands.
    That's why shouting for United is a no brainer tomorrow night.

That's as good as it can get for us at the moment. City also have Arsenal and Everton Away so could drop points there.

Palace, Sunderland and Norwich share a lot of games against the title contenders, somebody is going to drop points to one of those in the run in. We want Palace and Norwich to pick up points in their games before us so they are safe when we play them. Norwich need to do that in the next 3 games because their last 4 games are horrendous for them!

City have more games left than anyone in the title race, surely you can find some one else to shout for in another game??? :p

• Advertisement

There was someone here in the last 2 weeks giving out about the lack of transfers in January. We've dropped 2 points since the window closed and someone was complaining! I genuinely do think that if we don't win the title this season, people will give out and say it was a missed opportunity.

When was the last time a team went from 7th to champions league football in a single season? It hasn't happened in England recently anyway. What Brendan Rodgers and the team have achieved this season is nothing short of miraculous.

If we don't win the title this season it will be for one of 2 reasons really:

1. We tail off and drop points in a few games this season.
    2. We gain close to maximum points but are still pipped, and our early/mid season away form was too patchy to recover from in the face of Chelsea/City relentlessness.

Either way, it's been a great journey, and unless we completely fall apart and get less than 10 points between now and the end of the season, it's been a great season to be a Liverpool fan for the first time in 5 years.

If we lose a specific game I'm sure some people, possibly including me, will moan about that game, but it doesn't make my above paragraph any less true. To date we have not had a bad run at any point in the season unless you could the 2 game period where we lost away to City and Chelsea and could well have got something from both games. I have no idea the last time this was true in a season, even 08/09.

Mickalus wrote: »
    City have more games left than anyone in the title race, surely you can find some one else to shout for in another game??? :p

I've wanted utd to win games before to help us in our quests for top 4 over the last decade, but it has always been tainted with the knowledge that it would be helping them to win or challenge for the title, but there are no such drawbacks this season.

That said, my 'support' will be of the "come on you shower of **%^**, do me a favour for once" variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

If we don't win the title this season it will be for one of 2 reasons really:

1. We tail off and drop points in a few games this season.
    2. We gain close to maximum points but are still pipped, and our early/mid season away form was too patchy to recover from in the face of Chelsea/City relentlessness.

Either way, it's been a great journey, and unless we completely fall apart and get less than 10 points between now and the end of the season, it's been a great season to be a Liverpool fan for the first time in 5 years.

If we lose a specific game I'm sure some people, possibly including me, will moan about that game, but it doesn't make my paragraph any less true. To date we have not had a bad run at any point in the season unless you could the 3 game period where we lost away to City and Chelsea and could well have got something from both games. I have no idea the last time this was true in a season, even 08/09.

Agree with all of this - seldom poster here, but read it most days - this season has exceeded my wildest expectations! - at the start of the year, with the money Spurs spent, and Luis looking like he might go i think anyone would have taken 4th, so to still be in a title race, and to have top 4, not in the bag, but certainly close is fantastic.

I've been a supporter since 1984, and our league decline, coinciding with Manyoo's upsurge has been truly horrible - to have, albeit for perhaps just 1 season, a compete reversal of the norm has been delightful!!

long may it last

City must play Everton at Goodison so that's another draw I'd like to see.

I'm sorry, I did it but I'm feeling very lucky over the last few weeks. My first match thread, let the goals rain down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement