Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    Still **** at Utd though

tumblr_m961tmUFcj1r3qnxf.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think he did well in the transfer market
    It doesn't really matter what you think as it's a clear fact he did excellently in the transfer market for Everton.

What is the point of this post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He'll change his mind if they get a result against City tomorrow. Promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

My thoughts exactly.

The point you say

6lqyC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

5starpool wrote: »
    Nope, he went from optimistic to morose, back to optimistic again.

Haha, ok thanks for the update. :P Well Lloyd if you're reading I'm glad your life has you feeling lucky again!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Ah Hendo :)

2b6Yo7e.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

When Forrest Gump sees Jenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It doesn't really matter what you think as it's a clear fact he did excellently in the transfer market for Everton.

He did waste a lot of money on strikers. Big money for a club like Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Diniyar Bilyaletdinov...

all managers make some bad signings and some good ones. That post is a real "lets have a row lads" post, ofc all anyone on this thread has to do is look at the table, smile and they win that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Vanolder wrote: »
    How long more can I deny we are in a title race?? I just can't admit to myself, or indeed anyone else. That defence won't let me...

That's what I am clinging to in order to avoid letting myself believe, It is hard to imagine that we will keep clean sheets against Chelsea and Man City, and I think we will need a few before the season is out if we are to win. Nobody wins a league with a defense like ours...do they??

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Diniyar Bilyaletdinov...

all managers make some bad signings and some good ones. That post is a real "lets have a row lads" post, ofc all anyone on this thread has to do is look at the table, smile and they win that one.

Livepool being ahead of Everton is hardly a milestone if we're being serious, considering how much more Liverpool spend.

And 2 out of the last 3 seasons they've finished ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

That's what I am clinging to in order to avoid letting myself believe, It is hard to imagine that we will keep clean sheets against Chelsea and Man City, and I think we will need a few before the season is out if we are to win. Nobody wins a league with a defense like ours...do they??

As long as we keep scoring more than them we'll be alright!

I keep thinking one defeat will end the title talk, or at least quieten it down a lot. Look at Arsenal at the weekend - they were level with us, not just 3 points behind and lots of people are saying officially out of it.
    A good bit of that will be down to the manner of their defeat, but still. Puts it in perspective.

Livepool being ahead of Everton is hardly a milestone if we're being serious, considering how much more Liverpool spend.

Nice trophy they got for it too

David Moyes, the manager (who's success in the transfer market is apparently a fact) in question, isn't managing everton any more tho. We're beating his new team too. Quite handily...

David Moyes, the manager (who's success in the transfer market is apparently a fact) in question, isn't managing everton any more tho. We're beating his new team too. Quite handily...

The discussion is about his time at Everton from what I can see, and he kept Everton competing with Liverpool and Spurs on 1/8th, and 1/7th of their net transfer spend respectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You know it's getting bad when 'Captain Super United Defender' is using Everton to try score points.

Thumbs up Rayne.

5starpool wrote: »
    If we don't win the title this season it will be for one of 2 reasons really:

1. We tail off and drop points in a few games this season.
    2. We gain close to maximum points but are still pipped, and our early/mid season away form was too patchy to recover from in the face of Chelsea/City relentlessness.

Either way, it's been a great journey, and unless we completely fall apart and get less than 10 points between now and the end of the season, it's been a great season to be a Liverpool fan for the first time in 5 years.

If we lose a specific game I'm sure some people, possibly including me, will moan about that game, but it doesn't make my above paragraph any less true. To date we have not had a bad run at any point in the season unless you could the 2 game period where we lost away to City and Chelsea and could well have got something from both games. I have no idea the last time this was true in a season, even 08/09.

If we lose the title on goal difference to city or even a point or two the only thing I will bemoan is THAT offside decision against city at their place. I know it won't be a popular opinion and every other result would have gone differently etc. What actualy winds me up the most about that decision is having to listen to other fans say we couldn't really cut it against the top sides away from home when that is far from the truth.

Thankfully we aren't competing v Everton this season for the coveted 6/7 spot.

Hopefully those days are gone for a while.

• Advertisement

The discussion is about his time at Everton from what I can see, and he kept Everton competing with Liverpool and Spurs on 1/8th, and 1/7th of their net transfer spend respectively

Thats not true tho. Some years he did, some years he didn't... his average league finish was 8th which is about what would be expected at a club like Everton imo.

Christ, typical Utd fan, always living in the past! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

gafferino wrote: »
    I have to say Sturridge comes across as nice, honest, top class bloke. Every interview I have seen with him he conducts himself well and I always get that impression.

Just watched this now and I'm delighted Sturridge has proved me wrong. When I heard we signed him I was apprehensive. I'd heard of his ego and how he was throwing a strop about not playing centrally or featuring much for Chelsea. I don't know if there was any truth in that talk, but given how hard he's working for Liverpool, how he's developing into a great team player and how he comes across in those interviews, I couldn't have been more wrong about him. Maybe it's down to Rodgers getting the best out of him or maybe Sturridge had the right attitude and was painted in a bad light but he seems like a great lad now. Hope he stays with us and has the brilliant career he's currently on track for.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mormank wrote: »
    If we lose the title on goal difference to city or even a point or two the only thing I will bemoan is THAT offside decision against city at their place. I know it won't be a popular opinion and every other result would have gone differently etc. What actualy winds me up the most about that decision is having to listen to other fans say we couldn't really cut it against the top sides away from home when that is far from the truth.

We were thoroughly outplayed away to Arsenal, and second best vs Chelsea although we could definitely have got something from that game in a number of ways. The City game we were very unlucky to get nothing from it. We have the worst record vs the rest of the top 4 this season, so hopefully we can turn it around with wins over City and Chelsea, whether it is enough to win the title or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Grab a beer, bottle of wine or get the kettle on if you have 46mins to spare.
    All 82 goals 2013-14

Thats not true tho. Some years he did, some years he didn't... his average league finish was 8th which is about what would be expected at a club like Everton imo.

No it isn't and you are just digging a hole now. His net spend was lower than even Newcastle and Villa who were the only other reasonable 'competitors' within that period. Everton were an anomaly during that period, Liverpool averaged 5th place with 8 times more to spend than Everton who averaged 7.5th place, being specific. Liverpool are a global brand and can attract far better players and spend a lot more, it's phenomenal that they were kept only on average 2.5 places ahead and that Everton finished above as well some years, not to mention Moyes had to build the club from the ground up.

You can mock Moyes all you want as United manager as it's justified in reality, the club appears to be beyond his level which is no shame some just aren't cut out for it but he's an excellent manager for the level he was at back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's probably easier to defend Moyes on this thread, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Moyes did pretty well with Everton in the transfer market to be fair.

The problem is he's now trying to sign the same calibre of player that he did at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    All 82 goals 2013-14

:D Over a hour to the next post, everybody must have watched it.

I didn't get to see the match on Saturday, so I'm going to watch MotD highlights over and over again to make up for it. /manly celebration! I don't celebrate anything like Henderson.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

djPSB wrote: »

The problem is he's now trying to sign the same calibre of player that he did at Everton.

Best of luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah Hendo :)

2b6Yo7e.gif
    That's how this team make us all feel :D
    skipping.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

All 82 goals 2013-14

If I could thank you twice I would!

I was about 20 mins into it and found myself wishing the season will never end. I want Liverpool to just keep playing and scoring goals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Realistically and this is not a dig at Man United, what quality of player will be interested in them next season if they fail to qualify for Europe?

It may only be for one season granted but are they worth the chance for someone like Kroos or Reus for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

mormank wrote: »

The Hull performance , and the kolo error against west brom keep me awake at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Realistically and this is not a dig at Man United, what quality of player will be interested in them next season if they fail to qualify for Europe?

It may only be for one season granted but are they worth the chance for someone like Kroos or Reus for example?

At the end of the day, money talks. Give most players 300k a week and they'll play for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

hefferboi wrote: »
    At the end of the day, money talks. Give most players 300k a week and they'll play for you.

It would be very hard to give too many players €300k a week without European Prize and TV revenue.

Could Man Utd guarantee a return to CL next year under Moyes with a host of new signings?

No it isn't and you are just digging a hole now. His net spend was lower than even Newcastle and Villa who were the only other reasonable 'competitors' within that period. Everton were an anomaly during that period, Liverpool averaged 5th place with 8 times more to spend than Everton who averaged 7.5th place, being specific. Liverpool are a global brand and can attract far better players and spend a lot more, it's phenomenal that they were kept only on average 2.5 places ahead and that Everton finished above as well some years, not to mention Moyes had to build the club from the ground up.

You can mock Moyes all you want as United manager as it's justified in reality, the club appears to be beyond his level which is no shame some just aren't cut out for it but he's an excellent manager for the level he was at back then.

Ok, Liverpool thread, so I'll compare him to Liverpool.

I'd say we did fine under Rafa, dreaded net spend and all that. underperformed in the league, but over performed in the CL, CL trophy, a final, a S/F and a Q/F IIRC.

When funds were tight in 09/10 and Hodgson, yep he did better.

Finished ahead of us in the league under Kenny but we did win a cup, beat them in a Cup S/F too. Considering the amount we spent, Moyes wins there.

I wouldn't take away from the figures or what he did, but we had highs and lows over the last 10 years or so. The last 4/5 years we were very much in transition and our transfers haven't been that great, barring 4/5 exceptions.

Still though, I do think you need to move on from the Moyes did great at Everton debate, yep, he did, I don't think many questions it, it's about like the net spend debate here. Had its time and place, but events have moved on, especially for Moyes.

Hodgson had his selling points too, but it is becoming clear to me safe pairs of hands aren't what clubs like United or Liverpool need, Everton yes, can work wonders when others are in turmoil are wasting Millions upon millions, or spending money they can't afford.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Best of luck to him!

I wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It would be very hard to give too many players €300k a week without European Prize and TV revenue.

Could Man Utd guarantee a return to CL next year under Moyes with a host of new signings?

Iirc, United's revenue is such that the CL represents only about 10% of their revenue. Missing out won't have any massive effect on their ability to pay players or fees, but rather their ability to attract players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

All 82 goals 2013-14

Holy duck.

I don't care what Rodgers does this summer, just keep Suarez.

It would be his best bit of business this summer.

• Advertisement

Missing out on it for one year will do them no harm in the long run financially. They're one of the most marketable brands in the sporting world and their revenue isn't dependent on CL football like some other clubs.

Moyes will get them to the CL next year if he can add a bit of flexibility to his tactics and trust the creative players enough to give them a licence to play football.

They do need a clear out of a lot of dead wood though. Rodgers has shown it can be done if you're given a bit of time, however if I was a Man u fan (thank Fowler I'm not) I wouldn't be very optimistic that Moyes can do it. I'd be looking at Martinez or Pocchetino who have a good footballing philosophy and give them a chance to build a side of their own.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Missing out on it for one year will do them no harm in the long run financially. They're one of the most marketable brands in the sporting world and their revenue isn't dependent on CL football like some other clubs.

Moyes will get them to the CL next year if he can add a bit of flexibility to his tactics and trust the creative players enough to give them a licence to play football.

They do need a clear out of a lot of dead wood though. Rodgers has shown it can be done if you're given a bit of time, however if I was a Man u fan (thank Fowler I'm not) I wouldn't be very optimistic that Moyes can do it. I'd be looking at Martinez or Pocchetino who have a good footballing philosophy and give them a chance to build a side of their own.

They've no need to go down the up and coming manager road though. Put it this way, they are a far more attractive prospect than we were when Rafa went and we'd no CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5live wrote: »
    :D

Suarez is the only difference between Liverpool and Spurs says Vertonghen-

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/vertonghen-suarez-is-the-difference-between-liverpool-and-spurs-30119995.html

And no its not the first of April yet:p

Team talk set for Sunday then

K-9 wrote: »
    They've no need to go down the up and coming manager road though. Put it this way, they are a far more attractive prospect than we were when Rafa went and we'd no CL football.

Yeah they are, definitely. It's a big risk going for a young manager who hasn't achieved much but if it pays off then you could have another Ferguson type manager who can build his own dynasty.

That's a lot more rewarding than having someone like Mourinho come in for a few years till he's sick of it and wants another move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Guys, I think I know what the Henderson exclusive is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

All 82 goals 2013-14

That was very enjoyable and means I have 46mins more of work to catch up on tomorrow. Time just flew by watching it, remembered along the way where I was for each game also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Holy duck.

I don't care what Rodgers does this summer, just keep Suarez.

It would be his best bit of business this summer.

Am I the only one who's not really in doubt about Suarez staying in the summer?

He looks happy, in great form, team in great form. Competing for the league, Champion's League in the bag.

Very different position from last summer, can't see him going anywhere as even at Madrid or Barcelona he wouldn't be the main man like at LFC.

Also if he does go it's going to be for totally ridiculous money.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's not really in doubt about Suarez staying in the summer?

He looks happy, in great form, team in great form. Competing for the league, Champion's League in the bag.

Very different position from last summer, can't see him going anywhere as even at Madrid or Barcelona he wouldn't be the main man like at LFC.

Also if he does go it's going to be for totally ridiculous money.

He looks happy and why wouldn't he be. Scoring goals for fun and helping to get us involved in a title race. New contract too.

If we manage to qualify for the CL and make some top signings there's no reason he can't stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

All 82 goals 2013-14

Cheers for that. Just brilliant. Favourite commentary line from it - Suarez goal vs Cardiff;
    "Marshall is thinking 'Suarez can't score from there.' And Marshall is wrong."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

All 82 goals 2013-14

Zm5T3z9.gif

Didn't feel like 46 minutes at all. Some amazing goals in that video.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement